shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:24 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: The world burns. Only Sega remains.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:28 am 

That's an atrocious way to launch a console, I didn't realise Sega had messed up quite so badly. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:15 pm 

Marc wrote:
Most of those are horribly average at best.... The Chaos Engine doesn't belong in that list, superb game.

While I generally agree, cave hermit stated explicitly that he enjoyed Ultracore, which is a much more flawed game than any on that list, so I guess his tolerance for questionable game design is quite high. Personally, I couldn't stand it, even though it came free with my Mega SG. There's definitely some enjoyment to be had from those titles Udderdude listed. Back in the day I did enjoy MD Gods enough to play all the way through it, even though it's an experience I don't have any desire to repeat today. Flink is worth playing through once for the lovely Henk Nieborg artwork alone. (An even better choice would be its spiritual successor Lomax on the PS1.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:41 pm 

Funnily enough I picked up Gods Remastered on Xbox for pennies over Xmas. The remastered visuals are so ugly it's untrue. The original visuals are stretched and muddy and lose the style that made them stand out in the first place. The game... I've always been perplexed at how this one was rated so highly at the time... even when it came to consoles it got solid reviews.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm 

OP, wanted to say a while back (but totally forgot) that I also am in the same boat. I have this fascination for Sega that came later.

Well AKSHUALLY in the 16-bit era a good friend had a Genesis and I saw him play a ton of Shinning Force and Phantasy star, which completely blew my mind. And in Dreamcast era another friend had one and we spent countless hours 420-blazin' it HARD and playing Soulcalibur and others. so I guess I always had Sega in high esteem.

but 5 years ago or so I really gained another extra level of appreciation for them and now am kinda obssessed with them. lol. and I'm a Nintendo kid. but man. Sega are coooool...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:28 pm 

Didn't have a Genesis growing up. My friend did. I would go over and play Sonic 1. Never managed to clear it over there, but was still fun times. Later on, I did own a Saturn and Dreamcast.

As an aside, if you're on Steam and have enough points, you can still buy the SEGA 60th Anniversary Frame for your Steam profile.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 pm 

I'm glad I have something that can play 50 Hz games, so I could try Flink out closer to the proper speed. Artwork in that game is amazing. It's also nice seeing a more recent game (Xenocrisis, which I bought the Genesis ROM of from the official site) with his artwork.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5