All my YT videos in one spot - Analog video on MiSTer FPGA

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
awbacon

All my YT videos in one spot - Analog video on MiSTer FPGA

Post by awbacon »

Someone mentioned condesing my posts into one thread...so that's this lol. Sorry if I didn't do it sooner

To launch the thread, here is The House of the Dead on Saturn. A terrible port of an amazing game, which still technically makes it amazing lol

https://youtu.be/79HcDPdfSY8

Still my fav light gun game of all time.

And from now on ill leave any videos in here :)
    Last edited by awbacon on Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 661 times in total.
    Blinge

Re: All of my timewasting YT videos in one spot lol

Post by Blinge »

awww, bacon..
    1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
    WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Could a mod merge awbacon's previous threads with this one?
    Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
    Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
    RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
    Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

I for one, do enjoy your videos on occasion, but it's for the best to put them in one thread. Lightgun game? I approve. That Nyko Cobra is one of the few remaining lightguns eluding me to make a microswitch trigger kit for.
    Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Gotta go 2 over 1 with HOTD. Is the wii port better than the Dreamcast port?
    Blinge

Post by Blinge »

awbacon wrote:Lol I just like talking about games. Not like I make $ of YT.
    Same. I respect it.
    1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
    BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Is there any way to play light gun games with action replay without removing a controller while the system is on?

Thanks for the video on House of the Dead. I might pick up the jp version.
    awbacon

Re: All of my timewasting YT videos in one spot lol - new 2/

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/WR2SN4mdMFc

next up : Nosferatu. A super fun game that isn’t Castlevania. Basically like Prince of Persia with Dracula getting involved. Anyone ever play this one?
    Sumez

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Nosferatu SNES - new 2

Post by Sumez »

I kind of like Nosferatu. There are a lot of "cinematic platformers" out there and outside of Prince of Persia (which is excellent) most of them are quite terrible, usually relying on superficial qualities such as atmosphere and world building. But there's something about Nosferatu.
    awbacon

Post by awbacon »

Agreed. Nosferatu tries hard to be more than just a “pretty” game

It’s the controls that can be hard with the “cinematic” part. It always translates to “sluggish” controls
    it290

Post by it290 »

Sumez wrote:I kind of like Nosferatu. There are a lot of "cinematic platformers" out there and outside of Prince of Persia (which is excellent) most of them are quite terrible, usually relying on superficial qualities such as atmosphere and world building. But there's something about Nosferatu.
    Are you saying Flashback, Another World, and Oddworld are terrible?
    We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
    WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Disney's Pocahontas on the Genesis is one of my guilty pleasures and actually pretty okay as far as Prince of Persia clones go. Though you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone else that has played it.
    Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
    Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
    RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
    Sumez

Post by Sumez »

it290 wrote: Are you saying Flashback, Another World, and Oddworld are terrible?
    Another World is definitely terrible.
    Flashback is interesting (mostly for the same reasons that I mention in your quoted post), but it's also kind of mediocre and really loses its drive in the second half of the game, where the creative setpieces get replaced by tons of generic "alien planet" rooms.
    Oddworld is still in my backlog, going on a few decades now. My impression was that it's really more of an adventure/puzzle game than a platformer, but I might be misinformed.
    Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

I love Out of This World (the SNES version), Oddworld, Inside, and the original Prince of Persia, myself. None of the other cinematic platformers I've played have been up to their level, though it was nice to revisit Nosferatu with this video.

With the Castlevania comparisons, it's hard not to find Nosferatu's final boss wanting compared to Akumajo's Dracula, who would laugh at any vampire weak enough to be punched out by a normal guy. While I'm not often an advocate for puzzle bosses, one may have been appropriate here, to sell the enemy as being too strong to confront directly.
    RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
    it290

Post by it290 »

Oddworld is probably the closest thing to PoP as far as cinematic platformers go — there's a lot of puzzle solving (some of it pretty on the fly), but also tighter requirements on platforming execution than something like Flashback.

I personally think Another World/OOTW is great. Yeah, it's pretty janky at times, but that jank allows for a degree of flexibility in execution that most of the other games mentioned don't allow. I'd also say it's arguably the most cinematic of cinematic platformers; a short focused experience in which every scenario is unique and consistently atmospheric from beginning to end.
    We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
    BrianC

Post by BrianC »

While it's more simplistic than Prince of Persia, and more of a fighting game, I also like the original Karateka quite a bit and it has some of the same cinematic flair.
    awbacon

Post by awbacon »

it290 wrote:Oddworld is probably the closest thing to PoP as far as cinematic platformers go — there's a lot of puzzle solving (some of it pretty on the fly), but also tighter requirements on platforming execution than something like Flashback.

I personally think Another World/OOTW is great. Yeah, it's pretty janky at times, but that jank allows for a degree of flexibility in execution that most of the other games mentioned don't allow. I'd also say it's arguably the most cinematic of cinematic platformers; a short focused experience in which every scenario is unique and consistently atmospheric from beginning to end.
    Flashback and OOTW are two solid games for sure. For some reason I was never into Oddworld on the PS1. Munch's Odyssey on the OG Xbox was always a good time though
    bottino

Post by bottino »

Nosferatu is one game that definitely flew under my radar. Thanks for the video, awbacon; might give this one a chance when the time is right.
    Sumez wrote:I kind of like Nosferatu. There are a lot of "cinematic platformers" out there and outside of Prince of Persia (which is excellent) most of them are quite terrible, usually relying on superficial qualities such as atmosphere and world building. But there's something about Nosferatu.
    At the same time, those two predicates that you listed are integral to these type of games. Case in point: Prince of Persia excels not only because the game is mechanically solid, but also because it creates the necessary atmosphere that you're trapped in this hellish dungeon and that time is running out for you to save your loved one from the claws of the evil wizard. It wouldn't be the same game without it.

Like others here, I'm also fond of Flashback; the cool sci-fi/action setting and animations being what hooked me into the game way back, although I admit that your criticisms of the game are not without merits, especially regarding the latter parts of the game.
    Sumez

Post by Sumez »

bottino wrote: At the same time, those two predicates that you listed are integral to these type of games.
    They are, but they often can't carry a game on their own. The design and atmosphere of Another World is simply amazing, but the game gets both repetitive and frustrating to play really fast.

Prince of Persia I feel manages to carry itself almost entirely on the solid puzzle platform element, which is entertaining and satisfying on its own. Of course, the "cinematic" aspect of a "cinematic platformer" isn't unimportant, but in the original versions of that game, it's very subtle, which I think is one of the strengths of the game. The SNES version on the other hand goes all out, and that also suits the game well.
    awbacon

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Total Vice 2P - 2/28

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/VLQYOC4c8eE

Total Vice 2P run captured on OG 3DO / Konami M2 hardware. I’d had a lot of requests for this
    awbacon

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - HotD 2 - 3/1

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/e50puRVc3DA

I had to do HotD 2 in my light gun series, as I think it's probably Sega's best light gun game of all time. I'd rank the series 2/1/4/Overkill/3. Ive yet to play Scarlet Dawn so I can't include it. Really need to find a damn machine and play it since no port has been announced yet
    Obiwanshinobi

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - HotD 2 - 3/1

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Speaking of "cinematic platformers", OnEscapee deserves a mention, if only by virtue of being freeware these days.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100418185 ... victus.hu/

Just like the official Another World GBA port, by the way.
    The rear gate is closed down
    The way out is cut off

awbacon

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Hyper Neo Geo 64 - 3/3

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/eZTQbWi16pQ

Today is week 1 of an eleven week celebration of the Hyper Neo Geo 64. Sure it bombed hard in arcades but it's still absolutely worth checking out as all seven games are decent fun, and a few are downright awesome
    awbacon

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Hyper Neo Geo 64 - 3/3

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/WyOOzX2Ns1M

Evil Night 2P run on real hardware. By request
    BIL

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Evil Night 3DO M2 - 3/

Post by BIL »

Always thought that was a badass name. Image
    drauch

Post by drauch »

Fond memories of this one. Haven't played it since BITD, but that video brings it all back to the forefront of the ol' brain. A firm reminder to stop being such a lazy sob and get a proper lightgun MAME setup going to live the horror lightgun jamboree! About to Beast Buster a nut over here.
    BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
    awbacon

Post by awbacon »

drauch wrote:Fond memories of this one. Haven't played it since BITD, but that video brings it all back to the forefront of the ol' brain. A firm reminder to stop being such a lazy sob and get a proper lightgun MAME setup going to live the horror lightgun jamboree! About to Beast Buster a nut over here.
    Ahh Beast Busters. One of my all time favorites. Have a video coming soon on it for the Hyper 64
    awbacon

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Point Blank 2 - 3/8

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/nXnvzUkoJBk

My fav light gun series of all time is Point Blank. 2 is my favorite game
    From the series :)
    BrianC

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Point Blank 2 - 3/8

Post by BrianC »

awbacon wrote:https://youtu.be/nXnvzUkoJBk

My fav light gun series of all time is Point Blank. 2 is my favorite game
    From the series :)
    Cool. I bought it recently, as well as a guncon.
    awbacon

Re: All of my YT videos in one spot - Samurai Shodown 64! -

Post by awbacon »

https://youtu.be/QRnE-MX46LQ

Samurai Shodown 64 on OG Hyper Neo Geo 64 hardware.

Anyone ever play this? I love it but the internet has mixed opinions lol