Love The Bomb: Cartoon Bombs Outside of Shooters

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
NYN

Love The Bomb: Cartoon Bombs Outside of Shooters

Post by NYN »

Blast! My first own topic. Stop worrying. Steady hands now.

I notice a distinct pleasure about the cartoon bomb in video games. Tossing Bob-ombs in Super Mario, bursting with Plaque Knight, or plain blowing yourself up in Bomberman is just fun. I know some games with that primer, like Wario Blast or Spy vs Spy, and I'm curious what some of you played that I never heard of. No matter 2D or 3D.

Just to make it clearer, I mean games where the player uses tick-tick bombs.
Yes, I Bomb for Zelda is right, while Bomb Jack is just 'bout collecting for the Red Bomb.

I think I give Silent Bomber for PSone my attention soon. Never did. Then it got mentioned in the Temple o' BIL. You know what that does to you... :)

Bomb pixel and polygons, not people!
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
ED-057

Re: Love The Bomb: Cartoon Bombs Outside of Shooters

Post by ED-057 »

They have to be anthropomorphic bombs? I know there was a Megaman game with grenades that run at you and explode, and bombs that are dropped/tossed or start counting down when you trigger them, but I'm not 100% sure if there were bombs with cartoon eyes.
NYN

stiff bombers

Post by NYN »

I put 'cartoon' in just because they're often depicted. And faster to discern as an explosive with unrealistic proportions in the context.
Round boobies or manly rods of dynamite (or explodin' robots), it's up to your preference. The 'splosion's what does it for me.

And it got Freudian very early on... :D
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

There's those badnicks that hang immobile from the ceiling in carnival night zone from sonic 3.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

This thread is hilarious and I 100% approve.

I would like to take this opportunity to remark that I somehow find the convention of tossing bombs in a parabolic arc to be annoying in video games. Why aren't we throwing those things like fastballs?

The absolute apex of cartoon bomb design were the little windup Bob-ombs in the Super Mario Bros. Movie with Bob Hoskins. A completely missed opportunity that it wasn't merchandised back then.
NYN

bomb matters

Post by NYN »

Bratwurst wrote: I would like to take this opportunity to remark that I somehow find the convention of tossing bombs in a parabolic arc to be annoying in video games. Why aren't we throwing those things like fastballs?
Right. It's like shot put. Maybe a remnant of cartoon physics that got adopted early in v-games to make it interesting to predict the landing zone? While a straight shot is just a matter of the own jump height to get over it.

I found out about Bomb Chicken as a recent example. No bomb arc here. Looks fun, no idea how it feels.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Considering everything kills you immediately on contact damage anyway, I find the presence of this guy's timed bombs in Rainbow Island kind of amusing.

Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

The Binding of Isaac has all sorts of these. The default bombs (the ones the player picks up and uses) have little skulls on them, and have a chance to appear as troll bombs (which have a troll face on them, and appear with their fuse already lit) or Mega Troll Bombs (bigger than regular troll bombs, and they chase the player.) There's also a number of powerups that can change your bombs such as sad bombs (sad face, fires tears in 8 directions when they explode), Bobby Bomb (basically a Fair Use version of a Bob-omb,) Mama Mega (a big one-time use bomb that basically nukes the entire floor) and a few others. You can see some of these here:

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Bombs
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
kitten

Post by kitten »

Bratwurst wrote:The absolute apex of cartoon bomb design were the little windup Bob-ombs in the Super Mario Bros. Movie with Bob Hoskins. A completely missed opportunity that it wasn't merchandised back then.
the underside of that bob-omb's feet have some of the weirdest product placement i've ever seen

~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

When I read "cartoon bombs" the first thing I thought of was Peacock's various exploding helpers in Skullgirls.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Gussun Paradise/Yoyo's Puzzle Park
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
BIL

Post by BIL »

Silent Bomber is one of those polygonal 32bit games, like R-Type Delta, Einhander and Bulk Slash, which I periodically revisit not only for a love of the work, but also to ensure I'm not remembering it as better than it really was. I ain't! It owns! Put it on a subwoofer and it'll rattle your ass bones. Image Absolute stunner. Don't let the action polys in a pre-DMC1 world dissuade - this thing is eight-way topdown carnage to its TNT-packed core.

Sometimes it beltscrolls or chase-cams but those are eminent oldschool formats too!
Spoiler
Only caveat: the US/PAL versions have a random crash bug after a late, tough boss (I'll vouch for PAL having it - witnessed firsthand). NTSCJ seems to behave itself there, but it's the sort of game where you'll need a little guidance at times (not much though! it's just some missions are GUARD THING or GET X THING rather than A to B bombing). I wonder if there's some Asia release with English VA and/or text. Anyway, print out the most barebones GameFAQs walkthrough and you'll be fine.
Bratwurst wrote:I would like to take this opportunity to remark that I somehow find the convention of tossing bombs in a parabolic arc to be annoying in video games. Why aren't we throwing those things like fastballs?
Ronyn are "potato masher"-styled grenades okay :oops: Metal Slug 6 lets Eri chuck them straight (IIRC, I know one character could), and Ninja Spirit (which I'm convinced has some ancestral connection)'s are for hammering hard targets to so much shinobi dust in the wailing senjou wind:
Spoiler
(both games actually feature the classic "black fizzing cannonball" munition, too - BIG MODE, what a PITA!)
The absolute apex of cartoon bomb design were the little windup Bob-ombs in the Super Mario Bros. Movie with Bob Hoskins. A completely missed opportunity that it wasn't merchandised back then.
Agreed, that's one of those unalterably perfect little designs... actually I wonder, did Nintendo lift it from anywhere (the Doki Doki Panic license perhaps)? If not, the designers should be proud. And god damn, missed opportunity indeed. An adorable thing born of rather horrible aims. :lol:

BORN TO DIE
KOOPA IS A FUCK
DEAD PLUMBERS
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Fascinating to learn that the PSX NTSC U/C port of Silent Bomber uses the same front cover artwork as that of it's JPN PSX counterpart of the same name.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The thread title made me thing only of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ32gSLNHfA
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"