Capcom Home Arcade

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
brentsg

Re: Pro Gear and Gigawing CPS-2 Ports coming to home console

Post by brentsg »

I couldn’t have come up with a more terrible way for Progear to get resurrected if I spent all week working on it.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
KAI

Post by KAI »

fba emulation is shit to begin with, and then this:

keep on shitting crapcom
mainpatr5

Re: Capcom Home Arcade

Post by mainpatr5 »

I personally think that Capcom should have got M2 or cooperated with the creators of Kawaks for the console.
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

KAI wrote:fba emulation is shit to begin with

...why?

The devs are always open to bug reports @ fbalpha forums and are constantly improving the emulator, while keeping the code as clean as possible. Progear is emulated quite well, apart from some very small (memory?timing?) issue when transforming a screen ful of bullets, where there's sometimes a small stutter.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

mainpatr5 wrote:I personally think that Capcom should have got M2 or cooperated with the creators of Kawaks for the console.
I mean then they’d have to pay someone and exert some effort. It’s easier to simply steal someone else’s code.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Expensive, ugly & huge..£200 for 16 roms..Is it April the 1st again :shock:
KAI

Post by KAI »

el_rika wrote:...why?
All builds i've tried so far were plagued with inacurrated slowdowns, trying to report issues like that knowing they use an oldass mame build as a base is useless imo.
Last edited by KAI on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

And even putting shmups aside from a minute, it seems rather odd that the only Street Fighter game on here is vanilla SF2. I can't imagine they won't add more later though (Marvel Vs. Capcom might be tricky due to licensing but I'm guessing they add more Street Fighter games later on.)
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Meh, price is ok imho, people pay about 150 for a base stick... but you'd want to be sure output is flawless however. Also whilst fba probably does the job, it's nothing more than what a pii might offer you.

The main problem - who the fck wants something that looks like that? And yep just for ergos - you really will fight over who is 1p, just so you can have a straight edge.
garrz32 wrote:....Is it April the 1st again
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Looks horrendous :shock: All I have to say about it :P
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Vexorg wrote:And even putting shmups aside from a minute, it seems rather odd that the only Street Fighter game on here is vanilla SF2.
Actually, its Turbo/Hyper Fighting.

Either ways, I would have expected this to be on consoles/pc, but nope, Capcom fucks it up in the blandest way possible. I wonder who's actually gonna get this, and then mod it, like most sane people do.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

The product/market fit for this is weird. The fact that they're excluding tate shmups and that it's is a plug and play suggests Capcom is going after a somewhat mainstream demographic (perhaps similar to the market for the Arcade 1up particle board boxes :|).

On the other hand, the company is talking up the Sanwa parts and octagon gates but anyone who is already familiar with Japanese arcade parts probably already has a serious arcade stick for console, a supergun, cabinet, or all three. For those folks (which includes a good segment of the members here) this is a bit redundant.

Capcom Home Arcade is neat but I don't have the space and could use the dough for other things.

The game selection seems pretty good but more titles would make it more attractive.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

NeoStrayCat wrote: Capcom fucks it up in the blandest way possible.
Far from bland; big bad plastic shit is fcking up in style...
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jesus that is ridiculous looking. But I'm sure every YouTube cLOLector out there will think it looks great in their backdrop.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

gray117 wrote:Meh, price is ok imho, people pay about 150 for a base stick... but you'd want to be sure output is flawless however. Also whilst fba probably does the job, it's nothing more than what a pii might offer you.

The main problem - who the fck wants something that looks like that? And yep just for ergos - you really will fight over who is 1p, just so you can have a straight edge.
garrz32 wrote:....Is it April the 1st again
Yep, for the price of two good sanwa sticks you can easily go over what they're asking. The problem is the massive connected form factor makes this completely unusable for 99% of players. I'm also assuming this thing won't even function as a controller on PC or consoles. The only thing coming out of this may just be an HDMI plug.
scrilla4rella wrote:The product/market fit for this is weird. The fact that they're excluding tate shmups and that it's is a plug and play suggests Capcom is going after a somewhat mainstream demographic (perhaps similar to the market for the Arcade 1up particle board boxes :|).

On the other hand, the company is talking up the Sanwa parts and octagon gates but anyone who is already familiar with Japanese arcade parts probably already has a serious arcade stick for console, a supergun, cabinet, or all three. For those folks (which includes a good segment of the members here) this is a bit redundant.

Capcom Home Arcade is neat but I don't have the space and could use the dough for other things.

The game selection seems pretty good but more titles would make it more attractive.
Almost everyone prefers a square gate anyways. What a weird choice.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

would love to play progear on my tv.... but not this way
KAI wrote:fba emulation is shit to begin with, and then this:

keep on shitting crapcom
weird that they're using the US roms though I don't think there is any huge difference other than sound and the difficulty it defaults on?
a creature... half solid half gas
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

KAI wrote:fba emulation is shit to begin with, and then this:

keep on shitting crapcom
Not a fan of the USA board. Prefer the Japanese version. I love the voice acting.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

KAI wrote:rom number USA

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha let the grabbers get fucked
MameHaze

Post by MameHaze »

FBA devs say it isn't licensed anyway (which is no surprise, the FBA devs can't offer a license that permits commercial use without going through an entire re-licensing effort on the same scale as the one MAME went through, which was a monumental effort in contacting authors of even common code to get approval to change the license going forward)

http://neo-source.com/index.php?topic=3344.msg26661#new

Again this is really kind of sad, because MAME *did* go through that effort of getting everybody's approval to relicense the project for 0.172 and newer (we spent a lot of time NOT doing development just to track down each and every contributor who had code still in that version, then rewrite everything we couldn't get permission to relicense) yet every time one of these things comes up they seem to be using code that they're not permitted it use (either older MAME, which we can't legally offer under a commercial license, or FBA, which likewise, can't be offered under a commercial license)

Also if you want to do decent CPS2 then you need a more recent version than that to have decent sounding QSound, the improvements seem subtle at first, but once you get used to them it's actually quite painful to go back to a version with them missing.

Given they appear to have been so lax about the emulator licensing, who is to say they really have permission for all these games and aren't just assuming they can use them because they're on CPS2 and therefore 'Capcom' ? Bootleg emulation re-releases don't really count as new official products IMHO.

*edit* SOME FBA devs say it isn't licensed, but one developer is claiming he licensed it out, which isn't how licensing works...
oso

Post by oso »

In case it wasn't clear to many (it wasn't to me), here's a quote: "It will be manufactured by Koch Media under license from Capcom."
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... tro-system

I'm wondering how much ye olde Capcom is actually involved with this... it would explain the weirdness if they weren't. And that's probably why the launch was EU first. Koch Media is German/Austrian, and nowadays owned by THQ Nordic.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Well, at least we'll get to relive all the non-shmupper complaints about how Giga Wing is "impossible and unfair" just like in the Dreamcast days. :lol: Otherwise this thing's near-worthless as far as I'm concerned; what a shame that a handful of legitimate, long-awaited items got shoveled into a gaudy, overpriced shell amidst a bunch of obvious filler.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

el_rika wrote:The devs are always open to bug reports @ fbalpha forums and are constantly improving the emulator, while keeping the code as clean as possible. Progear is emulated quite well, apart from some very small (memory?timing?) issue when transforming a screen ful of bullets, where there's sometimes a small stutter.
Note - I haven't played the actual board in a very long time but - the game is supposed to have a moderate amount of slowdowns and stutter in those moments, in places.
MAME has more than necessary AFAIK, probably because the cps2 driver is underclocked at 74% (on 1st launch but not if you reset iirc) and that default value doesn't really help in approaching the game's behaviour on the original hardware.
MAME lacks some things that haven't been developed yet to better replicate that sort of stuff, and I doubt FBA does any better there.
You can add to this that emulated games not running at their original framerate (most are forced to 60.00Hz) will also behave slightly differently in places compared to the original because of that.
That's two things among others getting in the way of accuracy. Emulators are rarely 'perfect' even if the dumps and drivers code are supposed to be 100% ok on 'paper', and even if you run them on a polished 15KHz crt setup.

Anyway, that thing's ugly and expensive. No better than shoving a Pi in a bad taste stick. Bleh.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

oso wrote:In case it wasn't clear to many (it wasn't to me), here's a quote: "It will be manufactured by Koch Media under license from Capcom."
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... tro-system

I'm wondering how much ye olde Capcom is actually involved with this... it would explain the weirdness if they weren't. And that's probably why the launch was EU first. Koch Media is German/Austrian, and nowadays owned by THQ Nordic.
Well, let's just say that it seems Koch Media figured out a way to have a fat slice of that sweet chinese Pandora Box pie without investing too much work :wink:
Sanwa parts and worldwide leaderboards sound pretty good though :D
Would also love to know whether it helped to finally get AVP ressurected now that Disney ownes the Alien IP...
Interesting product, ugly as fuck.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Xyga wrote:Note - I haven't played the actual board in a very long time but - the game is supposed to have a moderate amount of slowdowns and stutter in those moments, in places.
Stutter, nope, slowdowns, yes.
MAME has more than necessary AFAIK, probably because the cps2 driver is underclocked at 74% (on 1st launch but not if you reset iirc) and that default value doesn't really help in approaching the game's behaviour on the original hardware.
This is what I've been reading, but now that I finally have the original board in my cab I actually feel the opposite is true.
Matter of fact, I had huge difficulties getting past the 3rd boss last pattern but now it's a breeze on the cab.
And, generally speaking, it feels like the game is more smooth than MAME and with a bit more slowdown in certain places.

But that could be 100% wrong, mind you, haven't run them side by side.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

I can't really muster much more than "This is stupid". Joystick case looks uncomfortable. Expensive joystick can't be used for anything else. Game list is questionable. Oh well. I'm sure it'll get hacked like everything else under the sun, but why bother when there are tons of better options for emulating these games on a tv.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

donluca wrote:Stutter, nope, slowdowns, yes.
Stutter is the wrong term, what I have in mind is more like a hiccup/halt, that can happen briefly maybe at the moment when the bullets turn to gems and rush to your ship.
But like the slowdowns it's not too frequent.
This is what I've been reading, but now that I finally have the original board in my cab I actually feel the opposite is true.
Matter of fact, I had huge difficulties getting past the 3rd boss last pattern but now it's a breeze on the cab.
And, generally speaking, it feels like the game is more smooth than MAME and with a bit more slowdown in certain places.

But that could be 100% wrong, mind you, haven't run them side by side.
This is something that takes a lot time to observe, checking the whole game over and over. But if I had to give a quick example; on the first level the first three large ships you kill at the bridge and grab gems from, well in MAME with the default 74% underclock there's significantly more pronounced slowdown than I remember and the brief halt happens.
If you reset to take the CPU to 100% nothing happens.
I don't know how reliable cps2 hardware is if there could be differences from different boards, but anyway that 74% might not be the best CPU% for that game, that's what I meant, it must be somewhere between 74% and 100%.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Not exactly what I was hoping for. :lol:
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Not exactly what I was hoping for. :lol:

:lol:
Marc

Post by Marc »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Not exactly what I was hoping for. :lol:
I could have lived with a single-player unit, containing ALL the CPS1/2 games Capcom owns sole rights to at around the £110-120 mark, no worries. It's more the way they've taken the proverbial with the line-up that's put me off.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

2 players, 1 Cap