Has there ever been a good 3d beat em up?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: Has there ever been a good 3d beat em up?

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

opt2not wrote:Does Sleeping Dogs count?
I would say no, too much other stuff going on. Fun game though.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Mischief Maker wrote:The Red Star
Great game, but I don't really think of it as 3d... 2.5d more like.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
God

Post by God »

It's not a perfect game but I had a lot of fun with the Splatterhouse remake.
Austin

Post by Austin »

God wrote:It's not a perfect game but I had a lot of fun with the Splatterhouse remake.
I thought about mentioning it earlier in the thread, but passed. Glad someone else brought it up! When I get into the groove with it, the combat is pretty satisfying to me. I still need to run through the PS3 version as it seems like its improved in ways over the 360 one I'm familiar with.
cj iwakura wrote:
Would the Red Star even be classified as a beat 'em up? It's been a while since I've played it, but I thought it mostly revolved around shooting.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Austin wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:
Would the Red Star even be classified as a beat 'em up? It's been a while since I've played it, but I thought it mostly revolved around shooting.
Of course it's a beat 'em up! There are parts of the game where you shoot, and parts where you combo enemies up close with your melee weapons. You've got the speedy light character (armed with a hammer and sickle, no less!), and the slow bruiser. In fact one of the things I liked the most about The Red Star was its original take on brawling using a telekinetic wizard character (the third, unlockable character).

Figures that people on this forum would only remember the more shmuppy parts.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Marc

Post by Marc »

God wrote:It's not a perfect game but I had a lot of fun with the Splatterhouse remake.
Yeah, I'd forgotten about this. I don't really have a lot of time for 3D brawlers if I'm honest, but I remember really enjoying this, to a point. Something did eventually cause me to abandon it around halfway through, but buggered ifi I can remember what. Price it goes for these days I should pick it back up.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I always thought that the standard definition of a 3D beat-em-up would be a non-controllable camera, either fixed or tracking on a rail.

Namco Hometek's Dead To Rights: Retribution (or whatever the subtitle is) on the 360 has some good moments. It doesn't meat my definition, but you can play as a dog and bite bad guys in the nuts, or just pummel them with punches. There's a lot of gunplay though, especially in the late game.

Nobody mentioned the Onimusha series yet, did they?
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I always thought that the standard definition of a 3D beat-em-up would be a non-controllable camera, either fixed or tracking on a rail.

Namco Hometek's Dead To Rights: Retribution (or whatever the subtitle is) on the 360 has some good moments. It doesn't meat my definition, but you can play as a dog and bite bad guys in the nuts, or just pummel them with punches. There's a lot of gunplay though, especially in the late game.

Nobody mentioned the Onimusha series yet, did they?
I agree. It's annoyingly to stop and move a camera when you are playing a beat em up.

Capcom finally learn't a lesson with SF4 after several failed attempts to make a fun beat em up with a Virtua fighter style 3d plane. They need to make a Final Fight type game with polygons that control like sprites.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I feel the original God of War games would fit the definition, even if they have platformer elements.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.