Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle / Belt Action Collection

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
cj iwakura

Re: Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle / Belt Action Collection

Post by cj iwakura »

I saw some girl with a crowd 1CCing Final Fight with Guy at an arcade in Akihabara.

It was a religious experience.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
ProcoTaito

Post by ProcoTaito »

Final fight is a really great game! I'm glad to see it's made it's way onto a new compilation. A lot of good games on this one!
A Silverhawk pilot says....
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi!!
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

cj iwakura wrote:I saw some girl with a crowd 1CCing Final Fight with Guy at an arcade in Akihabara.

That must've been amazing to see. Guy is the hardest 1cc in a already hard game in the default arcade settings.

With the every 200k extend (which stops after you reach 900k points iirc) , the game is easily doable with a bit of practice.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

cj iwakura wrote:I saw some girl with a crowd 1CCing Final Fight with Guy at an arcade in Akihabara.

:shock:, now if it was Haggar...
Glad to see Powered Gear and Battle Circuit finally getting a home release, too bad for the games that still haven't and probably never will though, especially AvP. Weird that they didn't include the first Tenchi wo Kurau however, it's a fun game.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I've noticed Captain Commando only supports up to 3-players on the PS4 version. Is it like that on the other platforms?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jonny2x4 wrote:I've noticed Captain Commando only supports up to 3-players on the PS4 version. Is it like that on the other platforms?
The Switch version has the option to switch (no pun intended) between the 2p, 3p, and 4p versions on the game settings menu.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

My mistake. It looks like the PS4 version does have 4P support for Captain Commando, it's just that it defaults to the 3P version for some reason (probably because the 4P setting has the characters assigned by player number, although you can assign your own number before starting the game, which amounts to the same thing).
poptart

Post by poptart »

Jonny2x4 wrote: especially the part where you have to fight three Andores at the same time.
You don't have to, the best strat is to edge spawn them as they stop shy of you then immediately do a backwards facing flying attack fwds (this is for haggar not sure about other) then keep doing that fast backwards jump and they despawn to the left of you.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Vludi wrote: :shock:, now if it was Haggar...
Glad to see Powered Gear and Battle Circuit finally getting a home release, too bad for the games that still haven't and probably never will though, especially AvP. Weird that they didn't include the first Tenchi wo Kurau however, it's a fun game.
I was thinking the same thing about the first Tenchi wo Kurau. Maybe because the gameplay on this one isn't the typical beat em up formula. It had some side scrolling sections. Need to boot this up in mame again because its been a while.
poptart wrote:You don't have to, the best strat is to edge spawn them as they stop shy of you then immediately do a backwards facing flying attack fwds (this is for haggar not sure about other) then keep doing that fast backwards jump and they despawn to the left of you.
Interesting strat. I'll have to remember that if I ever make it that far again. Here is a fairly impressive replay I found on youtube. This player has a different strat for getting gold bars. He does a desperation attack from far away. This trick would make it harder though, since each desperation attack takes a bit of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COCTm2fldLI&t=2951s
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I find the backwards jumping/despawn doesn’t always work, now and again they will run into you regardless how slowly you spaw them on. An alternative way with Haggar is to try and get them into a back breaker-loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHs4gxwUKZY&t=35m30s
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Not by Capcom but since we are talking about beat'em ups, if you have a PC check Fight'n Rage. Best non-arcade beat'em up I've ever played. Playthrough length is arcade-like, controls are simple but it has plenty of advanced combo opportunities, lots of enemies on screen coming at you in well thought patterns (something most indie and console beat'em ups fail at) and nice defensive options including a Street Fighter III style parry that is so satisfying to pull off.

It's pretty accessible too since even though it is not different to arcade games in terms of overall difficulty you get plenty of resources to make things easier without dumbing the game down, and it has several alternate paths, DDSOM style. I played it with very low expectations since I didn't trust an indie dev (and an one-man team, at that) to pull things off so well, but it surprised me in a very positive way. Holds its own against the classic Capcom games, must play if you are interested in the genre.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Seconding Fight'N Rage. Agree with everything Hagane said, and will add that it has a killer guitar soundtrack.

The grappler, Ricardo, is one of my favourite characters from modern games. His special move (a lariat with huge reach) is very satisfying.
Spoiler
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
cawley1

Post by cawley1 »

I love a couple of the games on this bundle (I have the Switch version), but why the hell does it not include a scanlines option?!

This is bloody madness, even more so as I am sure the Street Fighter 30th Collection I also have has a scanlines option! Surely it can't be that difficult to add? I am amazed more people are not bothered about this, it would make the image on the Switch screen perfect if it was there - right now I find it frustrating to play, knowing how good it cold have looked...
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

That's Capcom for you, they will never bother with enough options to make their paid compilations satisfying to their dedicated fans in light of what emulation has been offering for decades. Unfortunately it's long since clear there is nothing to motivate them to do things right.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

It's a strange one as I think the PS3 version of Final Fight had scan lines. Certainly had a lot of filter options.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Not sure why beat 'em up bundle uses MT Framework either. Surprisingly, one of the collections with the most video options is Namco Museum on Switch. The odd thing is that all of the versions of games seem to be the JP version with English translation overlays.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

BrianC wrote:Surprisingly, one of the collections with the most video options is Namco Museum on Switch. The odd thing is that all of the versions of games seem to be the JP version with English translation overlays.
I was expecting another boring-ass western-developed Namco Museum with the obvious Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug inclusions, but surprisingly it has both Rolling Thunders and Splatterhouse as well. I would buy it if I had a Switch.

A lot of Namco arcade games from the 80's didn't get official localizations back in the day, likely due to the fact that Namco didn't have a U.S. subsidiary until the '90's. Atari Games were the ones who often distributed their stuff, as was the case with stuff like Xevious and Rolling Thunder. In fact, the Namco Museums on the original PlayStation were the first time games such as Genji & Heike and Valkyrie had English localizations.

Even stuff that did have overseas distribution, like Rolling Thunder 2, seem to be rare. I can't find any material for the English version of that game, outside the flyer on TAFA. Was the Splatterhouse arcade game even released officially outside Japan? Can't find the flyer for that one.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I do remember a few copies of Splatterhouse circulating in my home town, but I wonder if they were imported (importing illegally and bootlegging were common in Italy, during the '80s and '90s).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BrianC wrote:Not sure why beat 'em up bundle uses MT Framework either. Surprisingly, one of the collections with the most video options is Namco Museum on Switch. The odd thing is that all of the versions of games seem to be the JP version with English translation overlays.
Am I missing something, or have Namco re-issued the collection with some games missing and Pac Man DX2 on there instead?
Can't find the original now.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Marc wrote: Am I missing something, or have Namco re-issued the collection with some games missing and Pac Man DX2 on there instead?
Can't find the original now.
They made a bundle with Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, but I'm not aware of any games being missing.

I haven't seen Rolling Thunder 2, Tank Force, or Splatterhouse in arcades, but I have seen Galaga '88 a couple times. Odd how the TG-16 version retitled it as Galaga '90.

edit: checked the US store. The original Namco Museum is still listed there and the arcade pac seems to be retail only here.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Looking up coverage of the game online, it seems Splatterhouse was on display at the ATEI trade show in Olympia, London in 1989. But other than that, there doesn't seem to be any evidence it had a wide release outside Japan. All the cabinets I've found online seem to be custom-made by fans and the operator's manuals that are in English all seem to be unofficial too.
https://solvalou.com/subpage/arcade_rev ... eview.html

It's weird. You would think Atari Games or some other company would've localized it (Splatterhouse seems like the kind of Japanese game made with the western market in mind, much like Contra and Double Dragon), but I guess they were afraid to get their asses sued by the people who made the Friday the 13th movies. They did recolored the Hell Mask in the TurboGrafx-16 version and in the two Genesis sequels they made the mask as un-Jason-like as possible.
drauch

Post by drauch »

It's been discussed before, and I don't remember who, but Splatterhouse never had a cabinet, like a lot of games in Japan. It was just a kit if I recall.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Yeah, I brought that up in another thread. Basically every JAMMA board that wasn't for a 体感/taikan cabinet was basically sold as a conversion kit with nothing more than instruction sheets.

Anyway, I look up at the current MAME rom sets for Splatterhouse and it seems the game got a "WORLD" version. I would imagine that was how the game was imported to the U.S., but it's weird that I can't find any English instruction cards online.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Available now on steam, apparently.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

bigbadboaz wrote:That's Capcom for you, they will never bother with enough options to make their paid compilations satisfying to their dedicated fans in light of what emulation has been offering for decades. Unfortunately it's long since clear there is nothing to motivate them to do things right.
The Japanese D&D collection on PS3 says otherwise.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

A lot of the collections are outsourced. The games outsourced to M2 usually have a good amount of options. M2 helped with the first MMX collection, but Capcom staff is also listed.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Which version is the steam D&D based on?
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

The Steam version was the Iron Galaxy version.
Marc

Post by Marc »

cawley1 wrote:I love a couple of the games on this bundle (I have the Switch version), but why the hell does it not include a scanlines option?!

This is bloody madness, even more so as I am sure the Street Fighter 30th Collection I also have has a scanlines option! Surely it can't be that difficult to add? I am amazed more people are not bothered about this, it would make the image on the Switch screen perfect if it was there - right now I find it frustrating to play, knowing how good it cold have looked...
Oh god, I played it docked for the first time last night. It looks horrendous. It's ridiculous, especially after the raft of options offered on the Double Impact pack on X360.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

Jonny2x4 wrote:Looking up coverage of the game online, it seems Splatterhouse was on display at the ATEI trade show in Olympia, London in 1989. But other than that, there doesn't seem to be any evidence it had a wide release outside Japan. All the cabinets I've found online seem to be custom-made by fans and the operator's manuals that are in English all seem to be unofficial too.
https://solvalou.com/subpage/arcade_rev ... eview.html

It's weird. You would think Atari Games or some other company would've localized it (Splatterhouse seems like the kind of Japanese game made with the western market in mind, much like Contra and Double Dragon), but I guess they were afraid to get their asses sued by the people who made the Friday the 13th movies. They did recolored the Hell Mask in the TurboGrafx-16 version and in the two Genesis sequels they made the mask as un-Jason-like as possible.
I remember seeing and playing Splatterhouse up in North Wales in the UK when I was a kid so it was definitely released over here. Saying that though it was the only place I ever saw it. Maybe arcade owners were unwilling to take a punt with it being a horror game and all that.