Evocative VGM titles

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Durandal

Re: Evocative VGM titles

Post by Durandal »

SMILE FOR THE CAMERA - A Klepacki-style industrial technofunk bop perfectly suited for mercenaries about to get down and dirty... with glee.
KILL NORMAN OSBERGER - No explanation required
666 KILL CHOP DELUXE - "It's a new dish by our chef, it even comes with airhorns!"
MIGHTY MAGMA RED - Any VGM where the title alludes to volcanoes or mountains must have threshing guitars. It's the law of the universe.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Durandal wrote:MIGHTY MAGMA RED - Any VGM where the title alludes to volcanoes or mountains must have threshing guitars. It's the law of the universe.
Indeed - my definitive examples :cool: Image Image Guitar wail sustained like the arcs of superheated magma ejected at hypersonic velocity.

If the very Earth itself is blowing its load, the listener had better be too! :shock:

"Struggle is the spark of life, no?" - Homura, Shinobi (2002)
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Sumez wrote:It's funny how recognizable Go Shiina's style is from Mr. Driller, but I'm sure his epic JRPG'ish strokes fit Code Vein a lot better than a light hearted puzzle game :D
I was pretty surprised to find out he was part of the team for Klonoa 2's ost. I do wonder if the more sweeping and epic (yet still fairy-tale-ish) tracks were his.
Durandal wrote: Any VGM where the title alludes to volcanoes or mountains must have threshing guitars.
Well that does it, have to present one from my own game then.

Take Root in Fire

Track names are from the composer.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Durandal wrote:- Any VGM where the title alludes to volcanoes or mountains must have threshing guitars.
Oh noee

https://youtu.be/PYppJYSgo0c - La Mulana - Giga Magma
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
mgtn

Post by mgtn »

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

mgtn wrote:Best rpg on DS
Not the catchiest name for a song ^ :wink:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Pretty happening title imo, I dig chromatic evocations. Castlevania's got a proud few of 'em (IRON BLUE INTENTION / SCARLET BATTLE FURY and more generally The Discoloured Wall and Gaze Up At The Darkness)

On the CV tip, A Toccata Into Blood-Soaked Darkness. The Red & The Black = Official Colours of WAMPYR FC

As was discussed briefly in What Not Shump, Akira Yamaoka is such an inveterate parrot, it's difficult to know what's his and what he's artfully nicked. But since it means I get to see stuff I might otherwise not, I'm A-OK with it. Image Seemed to ramp up, not at all unsurprisingly, as the once-proud Konami he joined in the early 90s disintegrated into the barely-recognisable, outsource-addled shite merchants of the late 00s. :sad:

Dreams Of Leaving (early Human League is good stuff!)
Shot Down In Flames (Filthy Acts Performed At A Fair And Reasonable Price)
The Terminal Show ("We are Konami, and we used to make good games!")
Acid Horse
Theme of Sabre Dance
Monster Daddy
Don't Abuse Me
(Terribly sad, but also venomously cathartic in SH1 context)
The Thing (Carpenter riff is obvious, but in Yamaoka context I prefer to recall New Order's blistering icy The Him. "I'm so tired... I'm so tired" over a mechanistic howl of loss starkly evokes one Jimmy "Bottomless pit? Lemme at that shit" Sunderland, and the atrocious "Walking Ghost" state of Konami at the end of the 00s Image)

And from the SDATCHER collab with Suda51 (banging OST btw)

ZERO CONTACT (muh feelz, it's like SH2's Betrayal given a stern kick up its dry-heaving arse, causing it to shudder and heave even more plaintively!)
A Man And The World (weird, cool, Perturbator fans might like)
Old Friend (SH1's The Wait, BUT ON THE DRUGZ)

---

Red Blade Shinobi (2002)

Ominous efficiency, like BRADE OF NINJA! When demon blade Akujiki burns red, butchery beckons. Heads, limbs, paws, and most of all, that which courses through them, IT'S ALL COMIN' OUT BABY Image - victims, sliced so superhumanly fine they do not know they are SHINDEIRU, erupting in votive carnivals so absurdly obscene, Sega shamefacedly shitcanned them from the later JP/EU revs. Those also drop the vital Super tier, while adding a lower Easy one, so double fuck that shit. NTSCU or bust for Hotsuma's Anguished Adventure.

Tonally, it's a plaintive yet indomitable little requiem well-suited to the game's hapless deuteragonist, unsurprisingly going by her name on the disc. Strong soundtrack overall, a spirited entry in the feudal/synth canon epitomised by the OG coinop and close contemporary The Ninja Warriors. Great yearning leitmotif, it's some sad shit for real. 3;

One of those cases where I've known a song by a certain title going on two decades, but can't find it anywhere in official materials. It seems to go by "Ageha" on the OST, rather like the smouldering final boss BGM I know as "Call" is simply "Hiruko." An alternate release, maybe a promo disc? Or perhaps it's some translation mojo far beyond my monolingual ken. Regardless, thanks for the memories, titler person. Image

---

Now. Japanese PCs. H-games. Legendary STG composers. An unbeatable team, with many great tracknames! At least it seems that way, when they pop up in my anthology rips! Hey WTF! Stop all that jerking off back there! :O

STARSHIP RENDEZVOUS (MSX2) Sakimoto/Iwata, the Lennon/McCartney of their field. Too damn powerful!!

OPERATION IN UNSTEADY SPACE Pardon the silly (though apropos!) Bond riff, this is some intense starship-chasing shit (■`ω´■)
MADNESS AND ITS SYNERGISTIC EFFECTS Nervous funk into apocalyptic skull-crushing slam & drone, WTF is this horny ship? :o FUCKING IS BECOMING INTENSE
BASS GOES BU-RI-BA-RI I just like seeing these two boast of their famously enormous bass. KILLER SONG TOO, masters of filmic dynamism in pop confines as ever.
MAZE TRAP!! I hope Not Bond is getting some good space pussy outta this gig, sounds rough. Dig the crystalline refrain rising out of that murderfaced back/forth shuffle.
Work Of Digging At Midnight bwaaa! powerful subterfuge, recalls Phantasy Star IV's intense cave BGMs.

DESIRE (PC-98) Ryu Uemoto PBUH ;-;7 Sadly it's tricky to find the tracks under their in-game names - they go by generic "Day01" etc tags on the OSTs.

RESPONSER HUNGUP! I'll bet they did U SICK FUCK (■`ω´■) Spiralling madness crowdsurfing a stonefaced jackboot march.
The Another World Daww :3
Lamentable No such thing as safe sex after all v-v

Gloria Kindan no Ketsuzoku (PC-9801) Is this one of those h-sidescrollers? Lemme google - Oh LAWD :shock: You wanna use a dental dam for that, hon >_>

A Cog Of The Lust Artfully put! A jam too!
Leant on Him Aw that's sweet. :O
Go for A Drive in A Car So's this!
Celebrate A Marriage Yeah you certainly did, holy fuck I saw the pics.
Monkey Jester So that's what it's called :o

---

Coupla old favourite tracks with similarly blunt/artful titles and percussive/doomy constructs been haunting me today!

STRIPES (Cody) I was infatuated with this tune's remorseless hits and uber-muscular guitar tone as a kid. Being older, the title slaps all EXISTENTIAL like :o. Bludgeoned and stabbed an army of foes to death in one day, capped off by kicking a screaming cripple out his penthouse window? Absent a loving father's bond and Bushido's iron-hard creeds, what did Cody have but a young man's fury driven to murderous extremes? it's not easy for a tiger to change his stripes.

>ENEMY APPROACHING
>ENE.MY APP-ROAC HIN.proG.pr ▌█▓proach■■□█▓ing■▌█▓ ■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

"FEAR THE REAPER"

Fatherless Baby

Welcome to a hell of mankind's own making. Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Armed Police Unit Gallop.
Shit gets me EVERY time.
BIL

Post by BIL »

STEP INTO THE SORCERER'S WORLD. (■`w´■)

Magician Lord gots the good Engrish, AND legit good evocations! :o It's a famously killer soundtrack, too, with a superb range across the anthemic and pummeling to ethereal and eerie.

MAGICIAN LORD Masterly title, dynamite opener and lategame adrenaline shot.
SURRENDER!! An imperious command to your persistent intruder, or an exultant giving over to terminal velocity, as occurs in both its stages?
FLYING KILLERS Creepy song, creepy stage, excellently blunt trackname contrast. This rotting xenowhale is indeed full of flying horrors!
CASTLE OF ZEPHYRUS ~ PALACE OF THE WESTERN WIND Movingly melancholic downtempo rock, enhanced by subtle wind ambience.
MAGICIAN'S DREAM A whimsical interlude for the last stage before the endgame, where MAGICIAN LORD and SURRENDER!! crash back in.
DUEL OF DARK Elegantly menacing Engrish.
LEGEND OF SEVEN TUTELARY DEITIES Not a killer title per se, despite its wicked speed metal, but I legit learned a new word there. The joy of Engrish! Image
AZATHOTH OF REVIVAL Rabucrafto Of Engrish! Majestic in spite of it all, like any good bit of the beroved artform.
THE GREAT GATES OF GRANADA Triumphant return. As Order of Ecclesia might put it, Hard-Won Nobility
THE UNFINISHED MAN Hits a bit differently, depending on if your Magician Lordship is just beginning, or if you failed to go the distance and complete a new legend in the people's minds ;3 Really classy little Name Entry jam.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Those are some fucking bangers of names

..bangers of names..
BIL

POWAAAAH

Post by BIL »

REACTIONS ON THE RAIDAR MOTHER FUCKER Image Image

Takumi's eerily techno-sepulchral HAWT/COLD experiment in HUG LAUNCHING has a pretty bangin' punkic/metal OST, with a motherlode of Evocative VGM Titles!

NIGHT RAID An arresting name, given an inimitably phantasmagoric venue.
COGWHEEL Grinding mechanistic bone-driven force. Get on route or be splintered like so much grist you godless shitbirds!
MONORISU That is indeed "Monolith," reflective of the creepily massive STONES N BONES! But I like the Romaji too, especially its shade of MOONRISE!
ICE Burning black cold! Brain shutting down! Get HAWT or freeze to death in your beds, NOOBS Image
DEEP SEA Getting a bit of the ol' Lovecrafty there Image This is the last goddamn place I want to go diving!
GEOMETRY Non-Euclidean, surely; a game with no end of dread inexplicable gaps to fall through!

NIGHT RAID is FOOKIN KVLT M8 Image
Lemnear

Post by Lemnear »

2 VG titles, that always impress me for how powerful and meaningful they are:
UNDER DEFEAT
BORDER DOWN
VGM? Usually they have stupid names :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Under Defeat has a few good ones - my very first contact with the game was via the DC collector's edition, and I distinctly remember the foreboding impression created by "Towards A Mistake," "Distance of Jet Black," and "Can't Come Back."

I never rated Border Down's tracknames or title, though. At the time it was marketed as an ex-Taito project, so I figured it'd come from the same mindset as "Layer Section." :lol: Although Layer Section kinda fits the game it was assigned to, if you know how Operation Meteor proceeded!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Tales of the Abyss has some good track names. You get some generic titles, but then you also get cool ones like

Miserable spectacle
Fang which wants blood
Awkward justice
Wish and sadness
The edge of a decision
Guilt, duty, and...
Sign of the quiet dark
Relic of wandering frenzy
Flow when being dammed up
Happiness in my hand

and of course all of the tracks whose titles are translated parts of the lyrics of BUMP OF CHICKEN's glorious OP.

I know Sakuraba has a reputation for his Tales music sounding kind of generic or uninspired, but this one's OST is really good and his track titles can be pretty alright. No Youtube links because I'm just checking the tracklist from the CDs, but maybe I'll go find them later after I go to sleep and wake up, as I just realized that it's almost 0200.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Some underrated Yuzo Koshiro Maximum Tune beats...

Destination BLACKOUT

Atheist On The Highway
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
linko9

Post by linko9 »

From Bravely Default II

The One Who Soars in the Darkness of Having longed, leapt, and Soddenly Fall

And it's a real banger.

Been listening to the Treasure Hunter G soundtrack, it's got some great tunes, and reasonably whack-ass names:

hamarira hahihi
Haririririiiii
The Absence of My Father from My Childhood

Not the best tracks, but great titles:
It Has Been a Long Time Since Someone Called Me a Magician
"A Woman, Huh? Remember It's Important to Set the Right 'Mood'!"
An Illicit Fishing Boat and a Russian Patrol Ship (in what I'm pretty sure is a fantasy game)

And one of my faves:
Relax, Relax (a very boisterous and upbeat song)

Seems like Touhou is near the pinnacle of nonsense naming, but as men of culture I'm sure we don't need a primer there.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hats off to Arc System works once again for some rather liberal use of the English Toungue. :lol:
i have a saying with a good friend. "turd lyrics." the actual in-song lyrics to a lot of this stuff certainly qualifies, even if there's some banger songs.
and Banger names.

It's Guilty Gear Strive time.

THE ROAR OF THE SPARK

The Disaster of Passion :x

Armor-Clad Faith

Alone, Infection (okay, i put the comma in there)

LOVE THE SUBHUMAN SELF

The Kiss of Death

Perfection Can't Please Me

Drift

The Town Inside Me (erm, okay bridget..)

The Gravity :lol: -> for ESL friends.. i don't think you can ever put 'the' before gravity. Unless you're talking about the specific gravity of another planet and how it differs to Earth??