GameCube

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
bigbadboaz

Re: GameCube

Post by bigbadboaz »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:@OP: I actually think the Xbox is pretty livable on newer tvs as long as you have a ypbpr cable.
I'd have to disagree with this. I was pretty disappointed with how all the older consoles held up when I got my first plasma. Even something absolutely top-tier like RalliSport 2 was just too soft, low-poly and washed out.

The only exceptions were the rare titles that pushed to support 720p through the component set - Soul Calibur 2 I remember looking almost as good as the actual "HD" downloadable version they later released on the 360. But those were so few that I would never connect the console again on their account.
Zen wrote:The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess . Widescreen - only on Nintendo Wii . . . . .
Don't you suspect that was more due to the faster hardware of the Wii being able to handle it than an active "fuck you" to the fans, though? I was actually impressed that they followed through on their promise to release it on the older platform at that point.. they really had zero reason left then other than goodwill. And they followed through the exact same way with BotW on Wii U. Of all the shitty things N did/does, this never struck me as one of them.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Eh, we will have to disagree a bit then. Though I am not talking about plugging it directly into the tv and using the tv's native scaling. At least everything that mattered was 480p which is much more than the PS2 can say. I love CRTs still, but I think Xbox is the best of that generation at being passable on newer displays. Given the choice, I'd play anything that gen on a CRT first.
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

mycophobia wrote:
Jonny2x4 wrote:REX Hangar, the last area in the game before the final series of battles with Liquid Snake, has a pair of hot and cold pipes that helps you change the temperature of the PAL key without having to backtrack to previous areas. I thought it was pretty nifty design.
whaaaat?? not that backtracking was all that hard but damn
I didn't learn about it until a few years ago when I was replaying the series. The pipes are in a tricky balcony to access, since you have to drop down and grab the ledge below before hitting the ground. It's the reason why they moved the last Naomi call (before she gets arrested) to REX Hangar.

People say that the play mechanics from MGS2 were just implemented into the MGS1 maps were no adjustments to their level designs, but that's not completely true at all. What they did implement from MGS2 without forethought was the dog tags collecting, since you get nothing for collecting them, unlike MGS2. The Tuxedo suit and the two extra items (the stealth suit and the infinite bandanna) should've been rewards for collecting them, along with the tranquilizer weapons and the MP5SD from Integral.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

qmish wrote:"bland" or, in opposite, "very stylish", if you are into german minimalism and such

also choreography, imho its more "beautiful" than bayonetta (which is more "sexy")
"Beatiful choreography" is the PS2-gen Capcom animations in a nutshell. Platinum games I've played (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Vanquish) don't impress me this way; El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron does, therefore suspicions arise that the artistry spirit dear to me followed Sawaki Takeyasu for pastures new. Could well be not simple as that, El Shaddai boasts animation technology which, perhaps, was a long-overdue update much required to keep character animations look "fresh" in resolutions higher than SD. Sort of like Burnout Paradise employed more detailed car physics for the sake of NOT looking worse than "SD" Burnouts in motion (so one of its makers said in an interview). That being said, I am not disappointed in DMC and Ōkami animations as PS3 displays them, so what do I know?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

I love my Gamecube, always had despite only managing to get one in 2009. It's connected with the ungodly priced component cables and I also have the Gameboy Player hooked up with GB Interface trough Datel's SD Media Launcher. I bought a busted up Wavebird controller and replaced the worn out sticks with the re-release Smash Bros controller so my Wavebird is as tight as a new controller.

Overall, I'm really proud of my GC because it was quite costly to get up and running to where it is now. Admittedly, I'm still working on getting all the top games for it, but my main reason for having it is as a Resident Evil and Metal Gear machine, where the GC still houses the best versions of REmake, Zero, RE2, 3 and 4 and there's MGS Twin Snakes and Ghost Babel.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Jameson Rook wrote:Admittedly, I'm still working on getting all the top games for it, but my main reason for having it is as a Resident Evil and Metal Gear machine, where the GC still houses the best versions of REmake, Zero, RE2, 3 and 4 and there's MGS Twin Snakes and Ghost Babel.
What do you think makes RE4 on GameCube better than the Wii port? The latter's easier when using new controls (I pity those who find it harder), but remains playable with a GameCube controller.
The way out is cut off

Jameson Rook

Post by Jameson Rook »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Jameson Rook wrote:Admittedly, I'm still working on getting all the top games for it, but my main reason for having it is as a Resident Evil and Metal Gear machine, where the GC still houses the best versions of REmake, Zero, RE2, 3 and 4 and there's MGS Twin Snakes and Ghost Babel.
What do you think makes RE4 on GameCube better than the Wii port? The latter's easier when using new controls (I pity those who find it harder), but remains playable with a GameCube controller.
The good news is that the Wii port is identical to the GC with the exception of motion controls (but a GC controller is also natively supported). However, the image is cropped off to give a widescreen effect rather than having the game render each pixel natively, which means that the end result is a blurrier image quality than the GC original. It's the second best version of the game for sure, and I'm gullible enough to own a GC, PS2, PC, Wii, PS3 and PS4 versions of this game.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I would like to see good photos taken of both on the same CRT, using the same signal format (and proper leads), also, the same refresh rate in case of PAL versions (I take it both output 60 Hz). If resolution is effectively higher on GameCube, I wonder why there wasn't more grumbling about it back when I sort of followed such news (as it surely was about missing effects in Metroid Prime 1&2 Wii ports).
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

I've had the Xbox running through component on the same TV and that looked OK - I used one of the OutRun games as a comparison agains the 360 version, and it looked pretty nice - more a bit blockier and noisier but nothing like the GC and PS2. Think I'm going to have to go CRT. Managed to snag a cheap copy of Odama, going to order up 1080. Played some Burnout last night - not sure if I prefer it to the sequel but I know I prefer the first two to the rest of the series, and the GC pad is by far the best for playing them on.

Think I'll wait until the TV situation is sorted then start Luigi's Mansion and F-Zero GX properly. Unless Nintendo announces some Switch ports - I do wonder at times if Nintendo even like making money.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Steamflogger Boss

Odama is weird af. I like pinball but could never really get into it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The way out is cut off

Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

GameCube is a great console (although not as good as the Playstation 2 in my opinion, the well-deserved leader of its generation), the little stove Barbie's made by Nintendo became a great partnership married to the Sony console, and who had both, was well served in the 128-bit generation. Aside from Nintendo games that almost every console owner tired of playing like Metroid Primes, Mario Sunshine, Paper Mario, Mario Sports and the Zeldas, GameCube has other good quirky titles. I read some list that friends left here and agree with several of them, but I would like to leave my personal opinion about some games often little remembered of this system, not necessarily exclusives:

- Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: Yes, Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader is one of the great third-party games available on the console and received great and deserved reviews at the time. Unhappily, Rebel Strike didn't have the same luck and was massacred by critics who dropped his score mainly due to the on foot missions and this scared a lot of people who even tried it, but not me (nothing better than having our own conclusions). In my opinion, the on foot missions themselves are not bad, most of them are fun and some mix piloted missions with on foot missions, but what bothers the most is the clumsy way the characters movement, something that definitely didn't get polished enough deserved. The piloted missions are excellent and with a much larger number of Tie Fighters at the same time on the screen than in the previous game (except for the mission to attack the second Death Star). The visual effects like explosions, smoke and others that were already fantastic in the second game are even better in this third. There are some stages where you control At-Sts and even an huge At-At and these are very cool. The game has a lot of Star Wars charm. Whoever played Rogue Leader should know and play Rebel Srike. In general, the game presents one of the best graphics not only of the GameCube but also of the entire 128-bit generation. Not everyone knows, but the game contains inside it the entire Rogue Leader campaign to be played in multiplayer mode and great unlockable versions of the classic arcades: Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

- Sonic Heroes: In my opinion this is one of the best 3D games of the famous blue hedgehog and the best Sonic game available for GameCube (yes, in my concept Heroes is superior to Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2). The game is a kind of "The Lost Vikings" (Blizzard's famous game in which the cooperation of three characters, each with its intrinsic abilities, is fundamental to advance in levels) set in the Sonic universe. The version of Sonic Heroes for the GameCube is exceptional with beautiful graphics and solid frame rate fluency (60 FPS), something far superior to the erratic version of the Playstation 2. The game is a lot of fun and immense, with many stages and they are huge (lazy must pass away from this game) and all this divided into several different teams, each associated with there is a certain difficulty.

- Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc: Rayman 2 was an acclaimed 3D platform game, Rayman 3 doesn't have the same status, but it's a solid platform game. One of the main focuses of the game is the ostensible and frequent use of powerups to move forward. The story is totally crazy, but the gameplay is fun! Apart from Mario Sunshine and the Sonic series and a few others, the GameCube has a much smaller number of platform games than the PS2 and Rayman 3 is a good request.

- Star Fox Assault: Oh man, I love Star Fox Assault! From its incredible orchestrated soundtrack to fun action located in space with the iconic Airwing or on land with the towering LandMaster tank or on foot. The missions on foot, though less exciting, are fun as well and Fox is supplied with a good diversity of armaments. In several parts it's not uncommon for you to merge the use of AirWing, Landmaster and on foot to complete the missions.The story of the game is very good, with several twists and surprises. This game has the DNA of a true Star Fox and isn't a "Zelda clone" like Star Fox Adventures, although the latter does it with quality.

- Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg: A fun and cheerful game developed by Sonic Team that resembles a mix of Katamari Damacy with plataform. The game contains beautiful songs and has an interesting and different gameplay, in which full control of the eggs and the proper use of partner animals is vital to advance the missions. There is a PC version, but it´ss not as good as the GameCube version, due to the inconsistencies of frames per second, while in GameCube there is solidity in this issue. Besides the game itself, highlight the great songs and the opening that is crazy but very cool.

- Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2: Both are challenging and fun. Certain stages makes you want to throw control on the wall. Still, they are classics of the GameCube. There was a later version for Playstation 2 of both games, but with graphics and performance below the GameCube. If today you can see the memorable little monkeys as playable characters in Sonic's good racing games, then express your gratitute to the GameCube for having introduced them on the home consoles.

- Ikaruga: as a lover of shmups, comment about this is inevitable, being the first western version of this beloved Treasure's classic (the Dreamcast version was restricted to Japan). The GameCube version is very good, in my humble opinion, the only setback is not because of the game itsef, but because the GameCube controller with its very small and poorly positioned D-Pad, at least for my hands, because I'm big (not fat, but tall). I ended up buying an adapter and playing the game with Dualshock 2 from my PS2 to enjoy this classic. Today we have this game on countless modern platforms with HD graphics, but at that time having
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I like the GC. The controller is balls, but it had some good games.

Some that I particularly liked...

F-Zero GX - Lots of people pointing this one out, as they should. Favorite racing game ever.
Fire Emblem - Path of Radiance - I totally missed this one when it came out. But got it years later. Got me into the series. My second favorite entry.
RE4 - ...you can play this on anything, but it was here first, bitches.
REmake - Once again, here first.
Tales of Symphonia - I really enjoyed this game, even though the combat does get pretty mashy. Still my favorite Tales game. And the ports all seem to have issues. So, if you have a CRT and a GC...this is where it's at.
Skies of Arcadia Legends - A DC game, but they improved on it. Made by the Valkyria Chronicles crew. Lovely game. It does look a bit dated, due to it's DC origins.
Pikmin 1 and 2 - I don't play these a whole lot, but they're neat, weird little games.
Viewtiful Joe - Once again, here first.

There's others, but that's all I'm gonna get into. I would really like to point out how great F-Zero GX and Fire Emblem are.
Steamflogger Boss

The controller isn't too bad as long as you don't need the dpad in any way.

Path of Radiance is the gdmfs. SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's alright.

Jk, i loved that mission where the tattered remnants of Greil's mercenaries are holed up in a mountain fort and your goal is to just survive the assault, as it pisses down with rain and new chapter music plays.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:The controller isn't too bad as long as you don't need the dpad in any way.
Speaking of which... One genre flourishing on PS2 that I found most painstakingly absent on GameCube was 3D TPP hack & slash in its most Japanese flavours. Even Xbox got a 3D Ninja Gaiden or two, Otogi 1&2, Crimson Sea and Dynasty Warriors 4&5, whilst 'Cube seems to have got none of it. This alone makes me recommend trying Spartan: Total Warrior on GameCube rather than other two consoles, if only to experience playing such a game with its controller. Although calling it a Dynasty Warriors clone would be unjust, it is a piece of TPP action almost synonymous with PS2-gen console gaming to me (if only as the PC was even more deprived of it than 'Cube was). So, I simply am glad its library isn't without at least one such as hack & slasher.
Also happens to be one of the most technically impressive video games of its time, dare I say, regardless of the platform (never mind gameplay videos; it would take legitimate 60 fps recording to give its performance justice).
The way out is cut off

NYN

sharp and chrome

Post by NYN »

Jameson Rook wrote:
The good news is that the Wii port is identical to the GC with the exception of motion controls (but a GC controller is also natively supported).
Nuh-uh.
Mercs mode alone differs from Cube to Wii. The red rouge, Ada sporting a knife from Wii on out to all following ports, where there's no knife prty on the S.S. CameCube.

For the possibilty that I am a 'net trickster you are liable to check for yourself, though.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Zen wrote:Most ire is reserved for Wave Race: Blue Storm.
Wave Race 64, is my most played game. Its handling is sublime and its arcade sensibilities appeal. The physics are remarkable, the presentation excellent.
Wave Race: Blue Storm, is a sequel in name only. It is (in my opinion) fucking awful!
I've been pondering if the game sucks or I just suck, these past few days. I'm pretty sure leaning to it being the game's fault by now. My major complaints:

* Road hazards. Gigantic road hazards are everywhere. I've never played a racing game with this much shit in the middle of the road to crash into. The buoys are particularly cruel because they're these giant death pillars everywhere; in Wave Race 64 they were soft harmless bouncy balloons. Optimal pathing is usually to get as close as possible to them, which turns into there being a game of chicken every single second of a race.

* It's hard as hell. Asking for 5 pixels worth of precision with an analog controller is ridiculous. It's an analog joystick, you jerks!

* Character balance is not there, the variance gap is huge. Have 20% less top speed than everyone else or steer like a hog. If you have low strength, brushing against anything instantly dunks you in the water and gives you minus six seconds to your time. Love having to reset a run for stuff outside my power to control.

** Also love that video game thing of driving in straight lines while the CPU is doing S curves all over the place, and somehow advancing faster through the track than you. Normally this ludicrous break from reality just amuses me (lazy programmers, heh) but it's just infuriating when it comes on top of the other cruelty.

It's fundamentally not what I'm looking for in a racing game. I like to play them to relax, not alpine ski between nuclear bombs set two inches apart from each other. Hate giving up on it because I wanted to like it, but I think my time would be better spent on picking up F-Zero GX or something.
Austin

Post by Austin »

BryanM wrote: Hate giving up on it because I wanted to like it, but I think my time would be better spent on picking up F-Zero GX or something.
If your goal is to just relax, then I’d recommend skipping the story mode in GX. And probably limit the difficulty in the grand prix mode. Or whatever they call it there.

Difficulty aside, F-Zero GX is an amazing game. By far my most played GC title.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It is a good game and from what I remember I doubt very much they make you play a bullet hell with analog inputs like Wave Race: BS does.

Difficultly or challenge isn't stressful to me, this is shmups forum. I'm happy to reset a million times if I mess up, and can fix my error. Not so tolerable when I have to reset 2 seconds into a race because I pressed the stick 35 degrees instead of 30 degrees or crashed due to CPU RNG. BS is something that needs to be experienced to be appreciated.