Bubble Bobble 1CC Standards

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Pedro Lambrini

Re: Bubble Bobble 1CC Standards

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I've played the Master System version a lot over the years. Since people in the thread are talking in general terms about BB I was wondering what folks thoughts were on SMS version. I know it's quite different from the arcade but I feel it has a charm all of its own.
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The SMS version is probably the best port of the game out there, that isn't a straight arcade conversion/emulation.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I've played the Master System version a lot over the years. Since people in the thread are talking in general terms about BB I was wondering what folks thoughts were on SMS version. I know it's quite different from the arcade but I feel it has a charm all of its own.
200 levels is what sets this apart from the other versions, plus a newer powerup that freezes the enemies on screen into blocks of ice make this game worth owning. But the game slows down heavily while this freeze power up does it's thing.

Did 1CC the X68K version many eons ago (I likely could never do it again, did use another credit to bring player 2 in right before the final boss croaked), that's how I found that version has a hidden version called Sybubblen, where you play as a mechanical thing, and the enemies also all become mechanical.

Image includes #Shmups chat window too. :D

FM Towns Marty also has a secret version in Bubble Bobble. In the options screen, where password is, enter ILOVEYOU and you'll get a Bubble Bobble where the players are female, and the enemies odd.

The password for the FM Towns version I save stated through the game, got the code at the end, tested it, and it worked. Basically leaving only the X68K version as the only one I ever 1CC'ed. I gave the code to a guy on Youtube, he did a little video about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNVc62UleKE
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

If the arcade PCB uses counters to make power ups appear, how does that actually work?

Example if you jump 35 times for the golden candy, but you happen to trigger 2 other counters on that level, do all 3 power ups appear? Does one take precedence over another? You never get 2 candies on the same level so if you triggered 2 at the same time surely the game would choose only one. Regardless, I doubt anyone could play and count how many times they jumped or how many times they fell through the ceiling. You could consciously do these things and hope for the best. So your right in saying its not random, but I doubt you can guarantee a particular power up on a certain level.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
5pectre

Post by 5pectre »

Yeah there's a rating system where 1 powerup will appear instead of another if both are triggered. I recall that if you don't get the purple candy (long shot) early in the game it's almost impossible to trigger.

If you crave more Bubble Bobble there's Bubble Bobble Neo! on Xbox 360 aka Bubble Bubble Plus on Wii.

This version has the arcade version with 100 levels and super mode but also 100 new levels and a super mode for those. additionally there's 2 DCL packs called Extra 1 and Extra 2 that each contrain 50 extra hard levels.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bloodreign wrote:Did 1CC the X68K version many eons ago (I likely could never do it again, did use another credit to bring player 2 in right before the final boss croaked), that's how I found that version has a hidden version called Sybubblen, where you play as a mechanical thing, and the enemies also all become mechanical.
Cool, Syvalion crossover! :smile: Didn't learn until recently that Syvalion was designed by BB's creator Fukio Mitsuji, too. Makes sense with the whole dragon theme as well, very cute.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

BIL wrote:
Bloodreign wrote:Did 1CC the X68K version many eons ago (I likely could never do it again, did use another credit to bring player 2 in right before the final boss croaked), that's how I found that version has a hidden version called Sybubblen, where you play as a mechanical thing, and the enemies also all become mechanical.
Cool, Syvalion crossover! :smile: Didn't learn until recently that Syvalion was designed by BB's creator Fukio Mitsuji, too. Makes sense with the whole dragon theme as well, very cute.
Mr Mitsuji (RIP) believed never to do the same game twice, so that's why Volfied is so different from Qix, and Rainbow Islands is very different from Bubble Bobble.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

neorichieb1971 wrote:If the arcade PCB uses counters to make power ups appear, how does that actually work?

Example if you jump 35 times for the golden candy, but you happen to trigger 2 other counters on that level, do all 3 power ups appear? Does one take precedence over another? You never get 2 candies on the same level so if you triggered 2 at the same time surely the game would choose only one. Regardless, I doubt anyone could play and count how many times they jumped or how many times they fell through the ceiling. You could consciously do these things and hope for the best. So your right in saying its not random, but I doubt you can guarantee a particular power up on a certain level.
You can't guarantee (except from the early stages on a clean reset), but you can influence it heavily, and the end result between the deterministic balance compared to "true RNG" is extremely different, giving the game a much more fair balance despite the variation in the outcome. It's a brilliant system, really.

It's basically like you said, each power up has a priority, and only one will appear at the time. They will remain in "queue" until they are the highest priority left. The shoes and candies are lower priority than any of the others, so after the beginning of the game you will rarely see them, which is why it's important to try to force them out early.
Marc

Post by Marc »

5pectre wrote:Yeah there's a rating system where 1 powerup will appear instead of another if both are triggered. I recall that if you don't get the purple candy (long shot) early in the game it's almost impossible to trigger.

If you crave more Bubble Bobble there's Bubble Bobble Neo! on Xbox 360 aka Bubble Bubble Plus on Wii.

This version has the arcade version with 100 levels and super mode but also 100 new levels and a super mode for those. additionally there's 2 DCL packs called Extra 1 and Extra 2 that each contrain 50 extra hard levels.
I have this, IF I remember correctly it's absolutely dire - enemy behaviour is completely different from the arcade for starters, without taking all the above counter madness into account. I'll have another go next time I'm back at my place, but I'm pretty sure I bounced off of this hard when I first bought it.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Marc

Post by Marc »

That looks terrible. 4-player 'mayhem' is so far away from what Bubble Bobble is supposed to be that it's amazing that Taito think this will appeal in any way to fans of the original.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm trying to figure out who made it. "ININ Games" advertises this as a new game made by Taito, but this kind of smells like a brand licensing deal to me.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Sumez wrote:I'm trying to figure out who made it. "ININ Games" advertises this as a new game made by Taito, but this kind of smells like a brand licensing deal to me.
developed by the original studio TAITO Corporation
source: inin pr
according to
https://nintendoeverything.com/bubble-b ... or-switch/

I feel doubtfull though
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's literally what I referred to in the part you quoted :P
And yeah. I really don't know what to make of it. Sounds kind of like Taito as a brand more so than whoever might actually genuinely qualify as "Taito" as this point where they have long been absorbed into Squenix.