Favorite Joysticks?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
ReleaseTheLazer

Favorite Joysticks?

Post by ReleaseTheLazer »

Hi all!

I'm playing shmups with a Sanwa stick of my favourite fightstick but I heard that korean sticks have better return to neutral so I was guessing if someone tested a korean joystick with shmups games and can tell me the experience. It maybe helps with micro moves/dodges.

I don't know if there is a old post about this but, tell me what are your favourite device to play shmups. Do you prefer joystick over keyboard to play like the original arcades? a ps4/xbox controller because too young to know old arcades? trying to play like your favourite pros in Japan?

Cheers!
My stream to have fun and share shmup stuff:
https://www.twitch.tv/releasethelazer
Stevens

Re: Favorite Joysticks?

Post by Stevens »

I have a few Seimitsus, but my favorite is the ls-56. I play fighters with it too.

Try a few different ones if you can and you'll find one you'll stick with.
My lord, I have come for you.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i tried nearly every semitsu and after market mod and sanwa after market mod earlier on in the year in a thread in the hardware forum..

my conclusion was a sanwa jlf with a kowal oversize actuator and a 2lb spring is the best/smoothest stick i found.
everyone who has tried my sticks modded with this combo say they are the best feeling for shooters..
MathU

Post by MathU »

I prefer keyboard for most digital-input games including fighting games. Puzzle League/Tetris Attack is one of the few exceptions where I play better on a D-pad and I'm not sure why.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

When it comes to playing PC Engine/TG-16 shmups on the respective PC Engine console, my "go to" arcade stick is the Hori Fighting Stick PC setup -- I find my scores going higher & higher with it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
d0s

Post by d0s »

those korean sticks are hot garbage. I use a LS-32 on my supergun sticks (sigma 8000TB) and LS-56 on my PC/360 stick (HRAP VX-SE Kai) I replaced the LS-32 that came with the HRAP and I would replace it on the 8000TB too but it won't mount correctly in that case and would be too tall (LS-56 is supposed to mount lower than a LS-32 or JLF, but 8000TB doesn't have a bracket because it's too thin, you screw the stick directly to the top plate). LS-32 is good enough though. There's a JLF in my PS1/2 HRAP and it's just OK
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

I prefer the ls-56, great for tapping. It's smaller size also allows it to fit in both my stick cases (Mad Catz TE S and HRAP3).
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Korean sticks are not bad for fighters with circular motions, and quick return to neutral is helpful in Tekken. They have octagonal or circle gates, so can take sometime to get used to hitting corners. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend them for shooting games.

I play a lot of Guilty Gear and shoot 'em ups. I found the Sanwa to be too loose and after some research, I bought a Semeitsu LS-40. I find it great for both as it has a smaller throw.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
5pectre

Post by 5pectre »

I've been playing with a Sanwa JLF since 2010, so that's what I prefer as that's what I'm used to. I tried to use a LS-32 several times as it gets a lot of praise when it comes to shooters. The ones I had, had some wiggle room, like the actuator wasn't snug? Is that a common problem with the stick? It drove me nuts. Tried to fix it with electrical tape and it kind of solved the problem.

Some say no to the Sanwa JLF right away as it's "a stick for fighting games" and most don't like that's it has a light spring and a longer throw. I've seen that you can get a thicker actuator to give the stick a shorter throw and would like to try that out in the future.

Does anyone playwith a hitbox controller? Could imagine that thing would be pretty great with button inputs for movement.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

LS-56, probably the best 'stock' stick for shmups, but as people say customized controls give the most satisfaction.

Problem: finding a shop well-furnished in all kinds of parts even the tiniest. AFAIK there's none really good in my country, not sure in the rest of the EU or sometimes I've had trouble with shitty payment methods.
So when I want something specific I order from focusattack in the US which inflates the bill but at least they have stuff and orders/payments just work.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

LS-60 in all my cabs, awesome for shmups.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Stock Sanwa JLF for all 2D games. It takes a little practice but for comfort and precision they're my fav by far.
Last edited by Ex_Mosquito on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
CBM

Post by CBM »

One would probably need not only to discuss the whole stick armature, but specifically the restrictor gate that is used.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

To be fair I started on a Sanwa jlf when I got into fighters seriously, my wife bought me the HRAP SE edition and that was my first intro to Seimitsu. I think it comes stock with an LS-32 , but I never looked back once I tried the 56.
5pectre wrote:

Does anyone playwith a hitbox controller? Could imagine that thing would be pretty great with button inputs for movement.
Was wondering the same thing myself.

Has anyone tried the LS 56 short throw mod? Nevermind - I found Charlie's thread. Going to buy:D
KAI

Post by KAI »

Dualshock 2, always, I have adapters for pc, 360, ps3, etc. Can't play shit if I'm not using a DS2.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

tbf though all the sanwa/semitsu stock sticks you can get are great just depends what you are used too/what you want. still not tried out the hori hayabusa sticks. what do people think about them for shooters?
davyK

Post by davyK »

Love the standard Dreamcast arcade stick when playing Gigawing or Gunbird 2.

I actually find the 360 pad pretty good for playing Cave ports. I have an entry level Hori stick for the 360 which is nice but I'm not convinced is better than the pad. A big fan of the Saturn pad as well. Though I have an HSS-0136 for the Saturn too.

Then again, I'm hardly an expert....
d0s

Post by d0s »

davyK wrote:Love the standard Dreamcast arcade stick when playing Gigawing or Gunbird 2.
That green stick is actually pretty nice, I use it with my DC as well and don't really miss my Seimitsus that much

e:
Stevens wrote:To be fair I started on a Sanwa jlf when I got into fighters seriously, my wife bought me the HRAP SE edition and that was my first intro to Seimitsu. I think it comes stock with an LS-32 , but I never looked back once I tried the 56.
Yeah, replacing the 32 in the HRAP SE with a 56 was my intro to that stick as well and it's just out of this world. If it was up to me I'd have a 56 in everything.

Here's my VX SE Kai, with LS-56. I also replaced the stock PS-14G buttons with limited neon yellow PS-14GNs and the matching balltop

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Best stick I used on the Atari 2600 was the slick stick (I don't have it, though). Short throw and nice responsive feel. I also like the LS-32 stick on the Hori RAP EX-SE quite a bit. On PS4 and PC, I use the PS4 Dual Shock. I also like to use my Hori joysticks with the PC.
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

A stock Seimitsu LS-56 is my preferred stick for shmups... if I use one at all.

Nowadays it's got to be a Saturn-style PS2 controller. No more slip-ups when going straight up or straight down. It being a PS2 controller means you should have tons of converters available. Avoid paying a bundle by checking out Yahoo Japan Auctions. I got mine on eBay for $90 and thought it was a steal... :roll:

I wouldn't mind trying a Hitbox layout though.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I'd imagine a hitbox to be very similar to using a keyboard.

Probably best for accuracy but seems less fun in my eyes. I can't exactly explain why I feel that way.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
ReleaseTheLazer

Post by ReleaseTheLazer »

Hitbox is like using a keyboard, I don't see any difference tbh.

I use my fighstick Mad Catz SFV TE2+ which has a Sanwa JLF. It works well with Shmups too and I think I'm too used to it but will see others options, you never know :)
Was guessing if there was a consensus about sticks but as I can see it's a very personal preference :P
Leviathan wrote:Korean sticks are not bad for fighters with circular motions, and quick return to neutral is helpful in Tekken. They have octagonal or circle gates, so can take sometime to get used to hitting corners. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend them for shooting games.
Thank you, that's one thing I wanted to know.
Xyga wrote:LS-56, probably the best 'stock' stick for shmups, but as people say customized controls give the most satisfaction.
I saw you can choose the tension of the stick, that's nice! I will keep it in mind.

Thank you for all the answers :D
My stream to have fun and share shmup stuff:
https://www.twitch.tv/releasethelazer
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

d0s wrote:Here's my VX SE Kai, with LS-56. I also replaced the stock PS-14G buttons with limited neon yellow PS-14GNs and the matching balltop
What mounting plate did you use with the LS-56?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

d0s wrote:Snip
That is a nice stick, I like that it's not as high as Hori's predecessors. My LS-56 is in an HSS 136, which I prefer for the same reasons.

It is also easy to carry with since I take it on the go fairly often.
d0s

Post by d0s »

tomwhite2004 wrote: What mounting plate did you use with the LS-56?
MS plate
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

I personally prefer Sanwa JLFs since I play both shmups, fighters, and TGM and I like consistency.

However, I have a Seimitsu LS-56 for my shmup cab for people when they visit!

--the F-man
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

d0s wrote:MS plate
thank you
ikaruga007

Post by ikaruga007 »

Sanwa JLF with kowal’s actuator and a stronger spring is what I prefer.
donluca

Post by donluca »

I'm surprised I'm the first Seimitsu LS-40 supporter here, I think it's a fantastic joystick for shmups, very precise.

Not so great for modern fighters, where I prefer the classic Sanwa JLF, although I still dig the LS-40 for some SF2 and KoF action.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

LS-58 for me. All the benefits of the LS-56, but with the Sanwa mounting plates you find in all newer fight sticks.