Paprium - New beat em' up for MegaDrive/Genesis

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Paprium - New beat em' up for MegaDrive/Genesis

Post by Stevens »

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3CTqTzkgZQ

On soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/groovemaster303/ ... sampler-v2

On the surface this looks like it could go toe to toe with the reigning champ - SOR Remake.
Last edited by Stevens on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lord, I have come for you.
soprano1

Re: Paprium - Watermelon Games

Post by soprano1 »

Yep, already mentioned it on the MD and the sidescroller topics.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

'Paprium'. bizarre name... sounds a bit like the horrible purulent tropical STD you catch only in the most sordid brothels on Earth.

Looks really nice though, but with WM the ETA is about a year or two. Personally I can wait that long but they're horrible at updating, either staying silent for months or giving customers false hope. Leaves tons of customers anxious/angry.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

September release? I'll believe that when I see it, given Pier Solar's extended development history... and any reprints had no announced timeframe, just pre-order and see. Eventually I picked it up on GoG as even the Dreamcast version dragged on with little announced, but happy to accept pre-orders!

It'd be really nice to have the option of buying it when it's actually released but I'd think pre-orders will fill their production run.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Pre-ordered my copy yesterday. Really looking forward to it!

Really glad to see that Groovemaster and Jredd are doing the OST. Groovemaster did a great job with his tracks for Streets of Rage Remake and I've been thoroughly enjoying a lot of the stuff that he's done with Jredd since then.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

A bit scared about it being a "RPG beat 'em up" and having save-slots, but let's hope it'll be good :)
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I'm interested in the manufacturing. There was some discussion a few years ago about a more powerful MD cart and in part this new cart for Paprium matches the spec. Over time more will be worked out.
More Bromances = safer people
zredgemz

Post by zredgemz »

10438813 10% Coupon Paprium
PAPRIUM boasts 24 Levels and up to 5 Selectable Characters! You can play in co-op with one or two simultaneous players and choose from the multiple game modes such as the "Arcade mode" - which will let you play a predefined section of PAPRIUMs megapolis for a brainless street brawler experience - or the "Original mode" - which will let you save your progression, pick multiple paths and shape the city for a better or worse ending.

www.paprium.com/press
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Vludi wrote:A bit scared about it being a "RPG beat 'em up" and having save-slots, but let's hope it'll be good :)
Not much has been said about the RPG elements of late... I have feeling that idea has been scrapped in favour of something a little more conventional.

I look forward to its autumn release, and just hope that there are no stupid delays, because by now if they can't get their product planning right they shouldn't be making games and/or asking people to full pay for pre-orders if they're going to miss their "release date" by a country mile.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I am tempted to buy another Megadrive for this one.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

"More powerful" MD cart in what sense? Some type of co-processor?

I like the sound quality on that soundtrack sampler but unfortunately don't think much of the actual music. Hopefully it meshes well with the game action.

I have a concern for anyone who might know: some aftermarket MD carts (reproductions mostly) were known to have the wrong board thickness and damage system carts slots over time. Was there any such problem with the Pier Solar carts? I trust Watermelon wouldn't do this intentionally but nothing is guaranteed when sourcing parts for such an old platform. I'd like to support this game if it turns out well but I don't want any of these poorly-designed cartridges in my library.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

bigbadboaz wrote:"More powerful" MD cart in what sense? Some type of co-processor?

I like the sound quality on that soundtrack sampler but unfortunately don't think much of the actual music. Hopefully it meshes well with the game action.
The cart contains the DT128M16VA1LT which adds a bunch of sound channels to the mix for more complex arrangements, and presumably allow a lot of simultaneous FX samples to boot. It's not known what else, if anything, the chip will do to help the stock machine - though I have seen some transparency effects that look better than anything else thus far - so we'll wait and see.
bigbadboaz wrote:I have a concern for anyone who might know: some aftermarket MD carts (reproductions mostly) were known to have the wrong board thickness and damage system carts slots over time. Was there any such problem with the Pier Solar carts? I trust Watermelon wouldn't do this intentionally but nothing is guaranteed when sourcing parts for such an old platform. I'd like to support this game if it turns out well but I don't want any of these poorly-designed cartridges in my library.
I've got Pier Solar and the board thickness is like the old games, Paprium shouldn't be any different. I don't like putting those chunky repro boards in my machine either.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

stryc9 wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:"More powerful" MD cart in what sense? Some type of co-processor?

The cart contains the DT128M16VA1LT which adds a bunch of sound channels to the mix for more complex arrangements, and presumably allow a lot of simultaneous FX samples to boot. It's not known what else, if anything, the chip will do to help the stock machine - though I have seen some transparency effects that look better than anything else thus far - so we'll wait and see.
It also has the same facility as Pier-Solar - a bank-switching mechanism to load in pages. Apart from that we are not sure as yet but it will not take too long after release to find out ;)
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Thanks for the info, guys. Very eager to see how the game comes out.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Vludi wrote:A bit scared about it being a "RPG beat 'em up" and having save-slots, but let's hope it'll be good :)
it brags about having 24 stages, which, imo, is giant warning alarms descending from the ceiling and screeching their deafening klaxon into my ears
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

kitten wrote:
it brags about having 24 stages, which, imo, is giant warning alarms descending from the ceiling and screeching their deafening klaxon into my ears
Haha same here, if they are distributed in branching paths that would be fine though.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

It does specifically say it's branching paths, and that there is a more arcade like mode.
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

I think it looks absolutely gorgeous...we'll see about gameplay but I'm optimistic.

Maybe the thread title could reflect it's an upcoming Genesis/ Mega Drive beat'em up. "Paprium" doesn't sound like much and don't know if everyone's aware of who WM Factory is.

Is it okay to post the 10% code in here, since there already is one further up?
If it is: 9871660PY
rancor

Post by rancor »

Samuray wrote: Is it okay to post the 10% code in here, since there already is one further up?
Everyone on every forum is being extremely helpful with this... There must be money involved.
moonblood

Re: Paprium - New beat em' up for MegaDrive/Genesis

Post by moonblood »

There is.. the 'investors' (I think the game was kickstarted somehow) all seem to have these codes and I think for every time one is used to preorder the game, the code's 'owner' gets paid in watermelons own currency and then they can buy more copies for themselves with that currency to sell on..

Personally I think what little they've showed so far look good but I'm hesitant to preorder.. Pier solar didn't exactly impress me and getting beat'em-up mechanics right is difficult I think. I'll probably wait for proper reviews and videos before buying, the 10% doesn't make that much of a difference anyway. Also I think Pier solar was delayed again and again so let's see about that release date
It begins in deep space warped by evil power
zredgemz

Post by zredgemz »

rancor wrote:
Samuray wrote: Is it okay to post the 10% code in here, since there already is one further up?
Everyone on every forum is being extremely helpful with this... There must be money involved.
Yes every use is 50gems earned if the buyer pays within three days, so if you want to use the coupon and finish payment after three days the coupon giver gets nothing. So you have an option if you want the game but do not like the reward system for Backer's of Paprium. There is also a contest to win a gold cartridge but i already won one for being the most active investor, will not win twice.

Just trying to be helpful but as said above you could still use a coupon and ensure the coupon giver gets nothing.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So I forgot about it then visited sega-16 and...wow, then magicalgamefactory and...dafuq ?

Glad I didn't preorder.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah. It's been a shit show. I also didn't order, don't have a MD.

That said I would be more surprised if they didn't figure this out than if they did.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What happened?
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

The company say that they had problems with Paypal in having funds released and then they had some kind of manufacturing issues with the hardware.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

That's only the tip of it, it's nastier than that, the thread on sega-16 is 448 pages, and there are many in WM's forums, including quite a bit in French.

But this post here summarizes part of the issues: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... lon-Thread

Fonzie is considered a liar/scammer at this point, basically alone and gone full stealth.

But you can still get a refund apparently, even if some struggle like a whole month to get a reply (customer service is basically one person who's never been paid)
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

A part of me gets the impression that the cash has been 'invested' in Bitcoin :D I pre-ordered what seems like a very long time ago through Paypal. I hope that WM get themselves sorted out and release the game but you never know. It's all about reputation these days.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Oh boy, a year later and things are like this. Shame.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Just reading through: what a shit storm of epic proportions. I just put him being an arsehole to him being from Paris :D :D Jesus, that is not the way that you run a business. He'll be looking at plastic-surgery and buying an island somewhere no doubt with all that cash :D I seriously hope that they do sort it out but my God this is not how you handle the release of a Retro Game :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

It's in France that he's most called a liar and a scammer at the moment, bet he's going (very) low profile even in Paris lol.

I don't know if the game will ever be released but the whole thing including his WM business seem very compromised indeed.

Just surprised this hasn't reached the news yet.