Paprium - New beat em' up for MegaDrive/Genesis

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Turrican

Re: Paprium - New beat em' up for MegaDrive/Genesis

Post by Turrican »

Don't want to be offensive to the sensibility of anyone, but doesn't seem utterly idiotic to try to celebrate the upcoming Sega Megadrive anniversary with a... beat'em up?! I mean... even if these guys were Treasure himself, they'd still have a very very hard time trying to surpass Bare Knuckles 2-3.

Luckily there is Tanglewood, and Xenocrisis, proving that you can go back to old concepts and old hardware and still have something to say to begin with.
X - P - B
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Turrican wrote:Don't want to be offensive to the sensibility of anyone, but doesn't seem utterly idiotic to try to celebrate the upcoming Sega Megadrive anniversary with a... beat'em up?! I mean... even if these guys were Treasure himself, they'd still have a very very hard time trying to surpass Bare Knuckles 2-3.

Luckily there is Tanglewood, and Xenocrisis, proving that you can go back to old concepts and old hardware and still have something to say to begin with.
Paprium goes back in development to around 2012 and should have been released by now but hasn't. It hasn't got anything to do with the MD's anniversary or anything really.
It does look good though and I hope that it does surpass BK2.

I quite like the look of Xenocrisis and I backed that project too. I didn't back Tanglewood though as I just don't play many platformers these days.
More Bromances = safer people
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I think the worst of it is all those artists, musicians, and regular 'office' workers doing work for the 'company' and not getting paid. I understand that with retro/indie releases you sometimes go on the "get paid when we get the money!" goodwill attitude, but after several fundraising campaigns and other shenanigans it creates a lot of ill-will towards your company and brand. You can see a real difference in management between now and when the guy who headed up Pier Solar was in charge of the company.
OdiousTrident

Post by OdiousTrident »

Does it seem suspicious to anyone else that alongside the delays we don't have extended gameplay footage beyond a series of second long clips pasted together?

Not much better than a screenshot in terms of telling us whether the game is good or not. Hit detection etc... could be a nightmare but we'd never know.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Xyga wrote: Fonzie is considered a liar/scammer at this point, basically alone and gone full stealth.
ugh. This game looked promising, but it looks like it's just another Fonzie Scheme. :(
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Turrican wrote:doesn't seem utterly idiotic to try to celebrate the upcoming Sega Megadrive anniversary with a... beat'em up?!
Another angle to it, with how vital SoR2 was to the MD, one might look to this genre as a most fitting tribute.. whether or not they ultimately managed to top the inspiration.

Regardless of how it turns out (the game or the whole situation), it sure does look like they took a step forward graphically.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Got an email this morning. I didn't order it, but want to see how it will play out.
My lord, I have come for you.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I'm looking forward to seeing actual captured gameplay. Until footage actually exists, not even thinking about it.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Well, we got some footage .. it exists. https://streamable.com/pbi9xi

As a wise man once said, "It's better than nothing".
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Man, that looks... bad. Nice pixels (aside from the traces), but whew.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow. Lol. I'm not sure what to say about that, haha.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I heard a story once about a bloke who was fucking a watermelon in his bathroom. He wanted more pressure, so he jammed his thumb in the vent-hole and went ham - and then the thing exploded, the small, tiled room causing an ear-splitting bang which left him partially deaf to this very day. I wondered aloud how that'd work, and was counselled to not overthink jokes, and agreed.

Same feel ;3

Well except that in this case, it may be a watermelon fucking a bloke. >_> Several even!
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I will only believe it once I've got it in my hands, I've opened up the cart to prove to myself that it's an actual PCB, etc. One thing is for sure: no one on this planet is likely to trust Fonzie any time soon. to think that he's had our money for all these years: he could have used that cash for absolutely anything and none of us would be any the wiser.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Wow.

I didn't buy or back Paprium. I had learned my lesson previously getting burned on this one here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... g/comments

And then this one around the same time:

http://www.goatstore.com/Products/Sega/ ... _Preorder/

So uh...unlike the others at least Paprium came out?
BIL

Post by BIL »

What a minefield! Everyone go buy Xeno Crisis. Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Xeno Crisis is great, and it's readily available on multiple platforms.
BIL wrote:Image
Teleport into my arms, baby.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Stevens wrote:Wow.

I didn't buy or back Paprium. I had learned my lesson previously getting burned on this one here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... g/comments

And then this one around the same time:

http://www.goatstore.com/Products/Sega/ ... _Preorder/

So uh...unlike the others at least Paprium came out?
Perhaps if the game had been up on KS or GS it would have been managed better and Fonzie held accountable - he's still peddling his bollocks over being banned and having all assets frozen by Paypal to this day. This guy, Fonzie, has simply held everyones' money pretty much for years without doing anything in terms of production and keeping us all in the dark. It's like a very interest-free loan for as long as you want with no penalties. And the attitude of this guy is something rather special indeed. Anyone recall that Paprium 'release party' in Paris a couple of years back - damn right he needed security to protect him at that venue. The guy's off the scale and how he's not been held to account is beyond me - the sheer level of arrogance, poor business decisions, his manner of handling the public and such - unreal he is.

In my book the greatest issue here is the capture of funds and we simply have no idea just what this guy's done with all that money for all these years. He could have speculated on the money and used it for god knows what and we'd not know a single thing. This is exactly how not you run a project and I hand it to the chaps behind Xeno-Crisis, Taenzer and Tanglewood for doing it properly.

There is no way in hell he's getting any more of my money.

In fact I can envisage quite a few people having their proverbial knives out for this joker.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Udderdude wrote:Xeno Crisis is great, and it's readily available on multiple platforms.
Yeah - it's a decent, hard-going game - had a friend of mine in a rage first time she played it :D
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

The last game I backed was Xydonia, and while delayed (they're all delayed) the devs are transparent with updates.

I just hope I still want to play it when it comes out: )
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Stevens wrote:The last game I backed was Xydonia, and while delayed (they're all delayed) the devs are transparent with updates.
This is key and the world's a very small place these days.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:I heard a story once about a bloke who was fucking a watermelon in his bathroom. He wanted more pressure, so he jammed his thumb in the vent-hole and went ham - and then the thing exploded, the small, tiled room causing an ear-splitting bang which left him partially deaf to this very day. I wondered aloud how that'd work, and was counselled to not overthink jokes, and agreed.

Same feel ;3

Well except that in this case, it may be a watermelon fucking a bloke. >_> Several even!
did the baddie just wrap his sphincter around buff dude's neck?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

I think it's some weird-ass CONTINENTAL SEX SHIT, I never trusted em! If you ain't a proctologist, NEIN TOUCHEN MEIN ARSCHOLE Image

Now THIS how you LIF A MUHFUCKA UP (■`W´■)
"My neck! My back! MY NECK AND MY BACK! AOHHH"
Spoiler

Everyone go buy THE NINJA WARRIORS ONCE AGAIN Image

(it habe BOBS & VAGENE 2 Image U SICK FUCKS (■`ω´■))
Spoiler
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Some more interesting facts are coming out:

1. It doesn't work on Genesis clone hardware
2. There are some official revisions of Genesis hardware where it also doesn't work properly

1 is fine. 2 is bullshit. Apparently they explained this in their FAQ, too. So they definitely know about the problem.

Also revealed: DER DATENMEISTER. Wonder what's under the lid there? Certainly doesn't even look like a Genesis game anymore.

https://imgur.com/a/rvKb0pP
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Udderdude wrote:Some more interesting facts are coming out:

2. There are some official revisions of Genesis hardware where it also doesn't work properly
Specifically it looks like it affects Model 1 systems; was there some kind of significant change with Model 2 systems that broke compatibility for any other official Genesis games?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Quick Google search reveals this page which shows quite a few issues. However, it's only a small number of games effected. Up to 8 out of the entire Genesis library. http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... ssues.html
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

1 is fine. 2 is bullshit. Apparently they explained this in their FAQ, too. So they definitely know about the problem.

Also revealed: DER DATENMEISTER. Wonder what's under the lid there? Certainly doesn't even look like a Genesis game anymore.

https://imgur.com/a/rvKb0pP
It's not too unusual that some of the very early board versions had issues but quite unusual for games that came along later int he MD's life cycle.

Usually you collect as many versions of the hardware that you can and test everything out on each version which is quite time-consuming but necessary for a quality product.

The DM will most likely be a CPLD, FPGA or something that 'does stuff' for them. putting game logic on that would offload it for the MD's 68K and such. We shall have to see. I'm sure that in no time it will be revealed what they have used.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:

Specifically it looks like it affects Model 1 systems; was there some kind of significant change with Model 2 systems that broke compatibility for any other official Genesis games?
Yes, that's right: one or two will not run on the MD2 correctly or at all. Some hang on the TMSS check code too as it was added later on.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

This late in the game it would be perhaps a lot easier to open-source the hardware used and thereby have a better chance of finding issues. That even well-known issues are not correctly tested and corrected for should worry some people.

If it does come and anyone gets their hands on the hardware it'll be easy to reverse in any case and WM are not known for (amongst so many other things) for their security and protection.

The future in a way rests on the hardware being easy to get hold of, debug, test out and thereby find issues and fine tune, but I very much doubt that will have any impact on Fonzie any time soon.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Wow, I never realized the Genesis had so many hardware revision compatibility problems. Wasn't aware the 6 button controller actually refuses to work with certain games.