Paprium - New beat em' up for MegaDrive/Genesis

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
MintyTheCat

Re: Paprium - New beat em' up for MegaDrive/Genesis

Post by MintyTheCat »

level 1
WhydYouKillMeDogJack
·
23d

fonzie is a fucking idiot who shouldnt be in charge of a company.

i urge everyone to skip his next crowd-funded venture.
level 1
Keltoigael
·
23d

Fuck this guy, Pier Solar was pretty good but his handling of his company is a complete joke.
level 1
pcimone90
·
23d

I'm so cheesed with this fonzie ass hat. Not to mention the video he links to that's supposed to have some answers is in French with no English captions...thanks.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SEGAGENESIS/co ... il_update/

The comments say it as it is. NO ONE should pass this pretentious 70s throwback an more of their money - he can f**k off.

The game itself is a bit like playing a SFC Brawler such as Rival Turf. The AI is crap. Looks pretty and that's about all.
More Bromances = safer people
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

MintyTheCat wrote:He's at it again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57 ... -next-gen/
I'm amazed people have already donated 40k to this guy. I was going to say "to this scammer." Technically, I guess he's not actually a scammer since he did release a game? But he definitely scammed people with the arcade stick sales.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

He wants HOW MUCH to toss a ROM on Steam?
All or nothing.
Here's hoping it fails.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I'm just gonna assume the dude has a smack addiction, which is why he always wants so much money and then never delivers.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Sima Tuna wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:He's at it again:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/57 ... -next-gen/
I'm amazed people have already donated 40k to this guy. I was going to say "to this scammer." Technically, I guess he's not actually a scammer since he did release a game? But he definitely scammed people with the arcade stick sales.
If he has all these excuses, does not mind very bad 'business' practices ad not have any issues in having not delivered to the actual people who backed him then yes, he's a scammer and I'm surprised that the KS platform allow him to be active.

There is no way that his game is worth it.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Udderdude wrote:He wants HOW MUCH to toss a ROM on Steam?
All or nothing.
Here's hoping it fails.
He's a total fraud: I hope he fails and gets banned from everything. This pretentious prick needs to be booted out.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Insane kickstarter wrote:PAPRIUM, the Near-Legendary SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive Brawler
Near-Legendary. Almost, but not quite!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

I love that they had the temerity to invoke Alien Soldier. Treasure get their For Megadrivers Custom on without some retarded Rube Goldberg setup. The only way you'll "Visualshock" with this dud is paying that rent boy and his buddies to spitroast you in the next trailer. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm looking at some of the rewards now. Holy hell, they're trying to charge $8,888 for a custom version of the game with the backer inserted into it. As well as 88 more cartridges they probably can't even manufacture. And someone actually backed that reward already. And then there's $9,999 for an entire PAPRUIUM limited edition arcade cabinet. At least this one only has one potential backer before it runs out. Nobody's claimed it yet, who wants to be the lucky bag holder? :p

And it's already almost up to $100,000 CDN. Sucker born every minute.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I peeped it too, shocked it has any backers.
My lord, I have come for you.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yeah, I dunno man. Looks like it's going to get funded at this rate, easily. Maybe they all think even THE FONZ couldn't possibly fuck up sticking a ROM on Steam. But just watch. Something is going to go fucking screwy. A fool and his wallet, etc.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I think some of these nu-retro indie studios are all about finding and retaining whales, just like mobile games. They seem to appeal very strongly to a certain type of collector. God knows why. Anyone who tells you his new sega genesis beat em up is going to destroy streets of rage 2 is talking out his ass. It's nostalgia bait marketing.

My assumption is that at least some of the whales throwing money at this scam must have received their games/arcade sticks from the last go-around. Otherwise, they're truly in a league of their own for stupidity.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

either that or it's all just a weirdly elaborate money-laundering scheme
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:either that or it's all just a weirdly elaborate money-laundering scheme
I think there's a ponzi scheme aspect to nu-retro "limited release" game development, for sure. A lot of those companies will brag about what high prices their games fetch secondhand and how hard to find and exclusive their product is. They'll use words like "investment" instead of "purchase." The unspoken message seems to be that you should BUY BUY BUY now so you can exploit the market when the cost skyrockets later. Buy 17 copies today, 1 for yourself and 16 to scalp on ebay. >_>
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:either that or it's all just a weirdly elaborate money-laundering scheme
In his case, Fonzi I mean - nothing would surprise me.

He's dodgy and slippery as they come.

I agree with the sentiment that all this 'rare, once in a life time opportunity to buy...etc.' is all a load of total bollocks as they can just reprint over and over again.

Fonzi wants a silly amount of $ for Paprium and it is not worth it. The best he can ask for is around €40-50 or so.
If him and his 'team' messed up the maths and didn't ask for enough money then : fail. Try again with a realistic outlook.

As for his 'business model and practices' : :lol:

One would have to be insane to back that scumbag.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Stevens wrote:I peeped it too, shocked it has any backers.
The more baffling thing is how it's almost backed already.
$230k out of $300k despite the continually dodgy everything surrounding the game.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

null1024 wrote:
Stevens wrote:I peeped it too, shocked it has any backers.
The more baffling thing is how it's almost backed already.
$230k out of $300k despite the continually dodgy everything surrounding the game.
I seriously think it's because of collector whales. There's a ponzi scheme/flipper mentality behind this nu-retro gaming tat. Like they think they're investing money in the stock market or some shit.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

And it's funded. Congrats to all who strapped in to Fonz's Wild Ride. See you in 8 years.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sima Tuna wrote:I seriously think it's because of collector whales. There's a ponzi scheme/flipper mentality behind this nu-retro gaming tat. Like they think they're investing money in the stock market or some shit.
Agreed. Same thing I suspect with sealed game collectors. Especially for older game cartridges you don't know if the game works, if there's a battery for the game whether or not it's leaked and damaged the components in the cartridge, and so on. It's a ridiculous market of inflated prices by people who do not care about the games in terms of playing them, but rather their value as means to make them money reselling them at inflated prices.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Udderdude wrote:And it's funded. Congrats to all who strapped in to Fonz's Wild Ride. See you in 8 years.
What I want to know is how many of these people see any benefit from their "donations."

Will the collector-whales get their purchased rewards? Will Fonz spend the money on crack instead? Tune in next time to find out!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:I seriously think it's because of collector whales. There's a ponzi scheme/flipper mentality behind this nu-retro gaming tat. Like they think they're investing money in the stock market or some shit.
Agreed. Same thing I suspect with sealed game collectors. Especially for older game cartridges you don't know if the game works, if there's a battery for the game whether or not it's leaked and damaged the components in the cartridge, and so on. It's a ridiculous market of inflated prices by people who do not care about the games in terms of playing them, but rather their value as means to make them money reselling them at inflated prices.
I'm sure I posted about this before but one time my friend bought a sealed PC Engine game because it was the cheapest listed. He gets it and opens it (because duh) and the game is rotten and doesn't work at all. Then there was this big argument with the seller over what the game was actually being sold as. Given that it was listed under video games and not intended as a sealed collectible, my friend did force the return.

Also SNES game batteries are dying at this point basically full stop. It is to the point where two shop owners I know are replacing them by default on trade-ins before putting the carts out for sale. Only exception is if they are informed the battery has already been changed.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:He gets it and opens it (because duh) and the game is rotten and doesn't work at all. Then there was this big argument with the seller over what the game was actually being sold as.
Ridiculous as it is reprehensible and predictable. Collectors shaming people for expecting the game works, sealed or not. Ugh. This really is what we've come to.
It is to the point where two shop owners I know are replacing them by default on trade-ins before putting the carts out for sale.
This is wonderful to hear and I wish I knew of more game sellers that took the time and care to look after the games like this.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Very few things in this world have actual, intrinsic value.

A Videogame in its physiccal form is : plastic, tiny amount of silicon and a few impurities : Germanium, Arsenic, etc., a bit of gold sometimes but a tiny amount, more plastic and some cardboard.

The process by which a physical Videogame is produced is through mass forms of semi and full automated manufacture.

To sum up: none of this is 'rare' or difficult to reproduce.

Think about a sculpture hand crafted: it cannot be reproduced exactly and it marks its place in time and place as a result from an individual.
Think about ornaments and objects that are sculpted and crafted and are made of precious and semi precious materials: they are valuable.

Stocks are not 'valuable' as eventually they will have no monetary value at all.

An ancient Japanese sword has value - it cannot be reproduced as the craftsman died long, long ago and the processes by which it was created are dying out.

As such, for all these 'Videogames are an investment' type people: you're fools and do not understand what money is.
A hint: it isn't cash :)

Fuck Fonzi and his 'projects' and for the folks who allow him to hoodwink them: 'fuck you' too.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I love your post Minty.
My lord, I have come for you.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Stevens wrote:I love your post Minty.
Cheers.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

WM KS Q&A:
WE WILL DELIVER
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is little chance that half of this 'practice' could be considered legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjFMQeYro-0

Surely, if all people involved who have paid WM in the past simply filed to have their funds reimbursed then this money that is being held by PayPal for years now would vanish and then, just maybe people could have passed the money through other means.

None of this makes any sense what so ever.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

It's up to $823,000 CDN. Wonder how many buff asian dudes he can hire now.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I'm starting to hoard popcorn already. Gonna need it when watching this clusterfuck unfold in the coming years!
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

spmbx wrote:I'm starting to hoard popcorn already. Gonna need it when watching this clusterfuck unfold in the coming years!
:lol: