Status of Treasure

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
kid aphex

Re: Status of Treasure

Post by kid aphex »

There is a rumor about a 30th anniversary collection...........
Just a rumor Rn though... 8)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

xxx1993 wrote:I would kill for a new Sin and Punishment game. Especially since Star Successor ended with several questions left unanswered.
Yeah, please give us more plot, Treasure!
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

I'd love to see S&P3, but I'm sure the announcement is going to be Ubusana.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

DMC wrote:
Gamer707b wrote: Who is this Icy you're talking about?
He was an active member here and around the time he got banned he made a for-paid-subscribers-only forum called insomniac. Big ego, big dreams, slightly aggressive.
Holy wow. What a ride.

That link takes me to a thread on this site, which is based on a link to an old 2014 pre-implosion NeoGaf thread, which a few posts in contains a link to a 2011 thread on another forum I've never heard of, which features snippets of a 2010 argument from what appears to be this Icy guy's now defunct forum.

And I'm just left wondering "what mental illness is this?"
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote: Hospitality. -- The meaning of the usages of hospitality is the paralysing of enmity in the stranger. Where the stranger is no longer felt to be first and foremost an enemy, hospitality decreases; it flourishes as long as its evil presupposition flourishes.

You can see this tactic in action in the rare occasions when some journlolist grows some balls and common sense and calls the artf**s out on their bullshit -- e.g. that Jim Sterling dude. Soon afterwards they patch things up with some f**otry about "different strokes for different folks", or "agreeing to disagree" or some such nonsense, and everything goes back to business as usual. But this shit won't fly with me. I am not out to let off some steam and then patch things up -- I am out to fucking destroy you.

So if I am in the middle of bludgeoning you to death with a sledgehammer, and you suddenly raise your hands and cry out in surrender, I am by no means going to stop and let you walk away. I am going to keep pounding you into smaller and smaller pieces, until there's nothing left of you than microscopic specks of dust -- I am a machine that makes dust. This is what I do -- that is my calling in this life. My response to passive-aggressive behavior, therefore (evident not only in the video linked above, but also throughout his email), is aggressive-aggressive aggression -- an aggression raised to the third power. There's no way to trick me into a compromise, to sign a peace treaty -- I've said it once already: no association with these people is permissible, no reconciliation possible.
Eep.

But this quote is really something, even for the internet:
Second off, I don't have "theories", f**ot: I KNOW, because I have studied, thought about, and comprehended the history of art better than any human being that has ever existed.
This next part is wonderful, because...
But to answer his question: I find game design boring. Playing games is more fun than making them: and this is no mere opinion, but a philosophical truth of the first rank -- as I will one day get around to explaining. An intelligent Insomnia reader should have already figured out the reason anyway. I've pretty much already given it away.

The only way game design could be redeemed is if one saw it AS A GAME. As a creative activity, demanding skill and effort, etc. Seen in that light, though still inferior to other forms of game-playing, it can be redeemed. But I ALREADY AM engaged in a creative activity that demands skill and effort: and indeed the most demanding such activity that a human being can engage in. So I am all sorted out in that respect. What I look for in videogames, then, is to enhance the enjoyment of myself on my downtimes: to brighten up an evening, for example, after a hard day's surfing. Or thinking and writing. Or travelling and reading. Etc. etc. Which by the way is the only healthy way to engage in videogames, or any other artform for that matter. Not looking for "meaning" in them, but for enhancing the enjoyment of your downtimes, your rest periods from the serious business of life: which is war.
...3 years later, this is what wound up on GAF:
A real game, not the joke I was planning to make a couple of weeks ago. I got emails from a couple of guys who wanted to help with that, and after a little bit of chatting about it I decided to go for the real thing.
So, we've already started work and will have a basic prototype of the first area soon. However, it will be a hugely ambitious game (think Far Cry 2 crossed with Deus Ex, only better in every respect) so we are going to assemble as large a team as possible to make it happen (because, contrary to what the pseudo-intellectuals say, the best games are always made by the largest teams; and this INCLUDES Biohazard 6 you fucking pretentious f**ots with shit taste).

I've lost count of the number of Nobel acceptance speeches which began with the recipient calling out pretentious pseudo-intellectuals who can't appreciate Resident Evil 6. It's practically a rite of passage at this point.

Of course, what less could one expect from:

I am the number 1 videogame and art theorist in the world, and the game will adhere as strictly as technology will presently allow us to all of my theory's conclusions.

Damn, really?

If you've been reading Insomnia for a while you might have realized how good I am at getting the best out of people: from the numerous reviewers who started out regurgitating the same bullshit as everyone else ("this game has no gameplay!"), and who after my coaching are now able to churn out unmatched articles and reviews in a couple of hours on a regular basis, all the way down to forum contributions from individual people who come and go and leave only a single post behind them; a single post which, due to my unmatched value-appraising skills and ruthless moderating style is better and more valuable than all the hundreds and thousands of posts they have scribbled in their lives in every other forum.

Wow, I guess so.

But, inevitably, and of course:

As regards the financial issue, there will not be any money changing hands on this project for a very long time. However, money WILL eventually come into the equation; either in the form of a major publisher taking us on and funding our project (the preferred solution, since as every real gamer knows the best games are always funded by the biggest publishers)

I think that's the diametric opposite of what every real gamer knows, but hey, different strokes I guess.

Soon afterwards they patch things up with some f**otry about "different strokes for different folks", or "agreeing to disagree" or some such nonsense, and everything goes back to business as usual. But this shit won't fly with me. I am not out to let off some steam and then patch things up -- I am out to fucking destroy you.

Oh, right. Okay. Destroy away.
8 years on, I wonder how the game's coming along?

...Anyway, while narcissistic personality disorder might seem like the easy pick here, I'm tempted to lean bipolar. ASPD is certainly not out of the question though.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Damn, I remember icycalm posting here back in the day. One that stands out in my memory for some odd reason was a thread he started that was something like, "If you were a billionaire would you give Cave 2 million to make a new game?"
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sengoku Strider wrote:...Anyway, while narcissistic personality disorder might seem like the easy pick here, I'm tempted to lean bipolar. ASPD is certainly not out of the question though.
Definitely narcissistic, but I don't think bipolar. Doesn't seem to fit. My guess would have been bpd, but aspd is not likely untrue.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Koa Zo wrote:I'd love to see S&P3, but I'm sure the announcement is going to be Ubusana.
Isn't Ubusuna from M2, though?
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Sumez wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:I would kill for a new Sin and Punishment game. Especially since Star Successor ended with several questions left unanswered.
Yeah, please give us more plot, Treasure!
Spoiler
Right now, I just want to know whose side is Kachi, or rather Achi, on.
Last edited by xxx1993 on Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

IcyCalm was a train wreck
Someone could do a documentary…

Maybe treasure will co-publish ubusana ?
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

xxx1993 wrote:
Koa Zo wrote:I'd love to see S&P3, but I'm sure the announcement is going to be Ubusana.
M2 logo showed up on title screen, but I don't think we know exactly what their involvement has been or will be.
Remember Ikaruga was G.Rev and Treasure. S&P was Nintendo and Treasure. etc. No reason Ubusana couldn't be M2 and Treasure.
My money is on Ubusana being the "highly requested title" hinted at by Treasure.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Treasure has no staff or resources to do anything. If anything they'd be begging to latch on to Iuchi to attach their names to Ubusuna and trick people into thinking they're still actually a thing.

That's why farming out a port of Radiant Silvergun's 360 remake to LiveWire seems like the most likely outcome. No work on their part other than rubber-stamping the thing.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

EmperorIng wrote:Treasure has no staff or resources to do anything. If anything they'd be begging to latch on to Iuchi to attach their names to Ubusuna and trick people into thinking they're still actually a thing.

That's why farming out a port of Radiant Silvergun's 360 remake to LiveWire seems like the most likely outcome. No work on their part other than rubber-stamping the thing.
Right we don't know to what extent Treasure "exists".
We're all just guessing.
I think it's just as likely that they rubber stamp their name on Ubusana as project RS3.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Koa Zo wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:
M2 logo showed up on title screen, but I don't think we know exactly what their involvement has been or will be.
Remember Ikaruga was G.Rev and Treasure. S&P was Nintendo and Treasure. etc. No reason Ubusana couldn't be M2 and Treasure.
My money is on Ubusana being the "highly requested title" hinted at by Treasure.
Okay then. It might be Ubusuna. But wait, wasn't Gradius V also Konami and Treasure?
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

My money is on Ubusana being the "highly requested title" hinted at by Treasure.[/quote]
Okay then. It might be Ubusuna. But wait, wasn't Gradius V also Konami and Treasure?[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I don't think Konami had anything to do with Gradius 5's development. They obviously funded it, but other than general direction, it was all Treasure and G.Rev
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Any new info coming out of Treasure? Been pretty quiet about them here.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Gamer707b wrote:Any new info coming out of Treasure?
Austin

Post by Austin »

Damn. Saw this bumped, was hoping there was some kind of announcement I may have missed. Go figure.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

You know what, if Treasure decides to port Ikaruga to modern consoles again like they have before, this will be my reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxJ016xb4Q
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah I agree x93! (`w´メ) THIS'LL BE MY REACTION (■`w´■)
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Because, how many times must I deal with Ikaruga after having played it for so long? I hope it's the last time now that I got it on my PS4 and that I finally 1CC'd it on the hardest difficulty after all these years.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

This thread bump just killed me.

And this reply is setting the trap for someone else’s heart to break.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

At least give me RSG on Steam already you lazy fucks, you don't even need to do it yourselves.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Air Master Burst wrote:At least give me RSG on Steam already you lazy fucks, you don't even need to do it yourselves.
Yea I'll take ANYTHING but Ikaruga at this point. I own 3 versions of it. As much as I love the game, I'm calling it quits on any other version that comes out.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Gamer707b wrote:
Air Master Burst wrote:At least give me RSG on Steam already you lazy fucks, you don't even need to do it yourselves.
Yea I'll take ANYTHING but Ikaruga at this point. I own 3 versions of it. As much as I love the game, I'm calling it quits on any other version that comes out.
I already have it on GameCube, Xbox 360, and PS4 now. Again, this is gonna be my reaction if they give us Ikaruga again, especially since I've finally 1CC'd the game on Hard mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxJ016xb4Q
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

xxx1993 wrote:
Gamer707b wrote:
I already have it on GameCube, Xbox 360, and PS4 now. Again, this is gonna be my reaction if they give us Ikaruga again, especially since I've finally 1CC'd the game on Hard mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxJ016xb4Q
Props for 1ccing it on hard. It's my bucket list to someday do a normal 1cc. Is the Switch and PS4 game overall accurate or should I stick to the Gamecube version? I have a stick for the modern consoles, so when I play, I generally do so on those. Hey just curious, did you chain or was it a survival clear? Either way, very impressive.
Air Master Burst

Can't speak for the other versions, but the Steam port of Ikaruga is a good one. I got the 1CC on DC way back in the day so I haven't dug deep enough to tell if it's perfect, but it's definitely worth 5 bucks or whatever on one of the sales.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The Switch/PS4 adds some slight new changes.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Air Master Burst

Oh good, they give me a sliver of hope before kicking me in the crotch with the console-only reveal.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

RS wouldn't be the most exciting for me, but anything is better than Ikaruga. My dream announcement would be for some kind of compilation.