Metroid II remake

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Drachenherz

Metroid II remake

Post by Drachenherz »

For better visibility:
Metroid II remake.

After almost a decade in the making, this inofficial fan made remake has been released on the 6th of august 2016 - the 30 year anniversary of the metroid franchise.

You can download it here:

http://metroid2remake.blogspot.ch/p/am2 ... s.html?m=1

Edit: link no longer works, takedown baby, takedown... Nintendon't want you to play this.
Last edited by Drachenherz on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Skykid

Re: Metroid II remake

Post by Skykid »

Friends when will a Linux version will be released? I am unpatient to try it by myself, play the game enterely, revive the Samus' adventures in the homeland of the metroids and back it up in my private cloud to preserve it in case of a ban of the site or a reclaim from Nintendo, I love the project but I am a little paranoic so I want to preserve your magnific work at all safe cost
Best comment.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Oh wow, he finished it.

Some day I will play this. Some day.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Cleared it just under 6 hours. I'm a big fan of Zero Mission and this one felt very similar to it mechanics wise. AM2R is a bit more linear in its overall structure but there is a nice flow to each area and just enough freedom to tackle individual challenges within those zones. I'm interested in seeing what kind of low% routes speedrunners come up with this one... There seems to be quite a few "mandatory" power ups that aren't actually necessary.

Some bits here and there can feel out of place, like you can tell in the case of some enemies if they were based on an existing sprites from Fusion/ZM while some of the new designs don't blend that well into the mix. But on the whole there were a lot of cool scenarios that left me wondering whether they originated from the original game or were completely made up for this version.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

2 hours in and it is basically a Metroid II expansion pack for Zero Mission. Probably not gonna bother finishing it. Rather than do my usual Zero Mission bashing, I'm just gonna lament the complete absence of all Metroid II's atmosphere and most of its charm. I get the impression this was made by someone who hated the original game and thought that it needed to be "fixed".
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

As someone who completed the original multiple times, this one's very good. I am currently a couple of hours in... 3 lava-draining earthquakes in. Much faster paced, great bosses. Got a few surprises that weren't in the original there! Samus interacts more with the environment this time.

The original was very linear. I'm not sure you can sequence-break at all, because of the way the lava always seals off the next area. This one is an improvement on all levels. The only difference is that the music isn't as abstract.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

There is one sequence break that involves plunging through the lava, but it isn't nearly as game-breaking as some of the things you could do in Super.
Volteccer_Jack wrote:I get the impression this was made by someone who hated the original game and thought that it needed to be "fixed".
Oh, and how.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
szycag

Post by szycag »

It's already been taken down! That was fast.
That is Galactic Dancing
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

Unfortunately, the game has been DMCA'd and it looks to be legit, as it's from an actual law firm that Nintendo has used in the past. Of course, it's still easily available if you know where to look. Still disappointing to see Nintendo do this though.

As for the game itself, it's everything I could've wanted and much more. I never did play through Metroid II, but there's so many bosses, scenarios, items, and places that I'm certain were not in the original, and every area just has so much character and thought put into it. Some of the boss battles especially are really spectacular. Without any type of obvious hand-holding, the way you progress feels really natural and I only found myself feeling lost once, and that time it was completely my fault. Metroid has been my favorite game series since I was a kid, and this is the first time in a while that I felt like I was playing through a new, good Metroid game. It really is comparable to the official titles; Zero Mission (which AM2R has a very similar feel to) was my favorite 2D Metroid, but now I'm not so sure.
BIL

Post by BIL »

May indeed never actually play this but I knew it was a good idea to snaffle the download on sight. :cool:
Spoiler
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I've only played a tiny bit of this so far, but this basically seems like everything I hoped for so far: I enjoyed Metroid 2 myself, and I'm really enjoying seeing how the dev interpreted and expanded on the low fidelity areas from the original. For the most part this feels incredibly polished, and really does feel like playing an actual Metroid game in the vein of the GBA games.

Also Nintendo can get fucked. Won't even so much as acknowledge metroid's 30th anniversary, but still takes out the time to file takedowns against this project.

Spoiler
KAI

Post by KAI »

Thank god nintendo can't take down all the other 1000 sites sharing the game.

Just finished the water section and I'm fucking loving how gorgeous this looks and plays.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Glad I grabbed it yesterday.

Nice try, Nintendo.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

this is so good... It even auto detects the 360 controller and support vibration as well...

I've only played Super and Zero Mission before, this reminds me a lot of Zero mission.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Leandro wrote:I've only played Super and Zero Mission before, this reminds me a lot of Zero mission.
Cuz it's a Zero Mission map pack with a misleading name.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:
Leandro wrote:I've only played Super and Zero Mission before, this reminds me a lot of Zero mission.
Cuz it's a Zero Mission map pack with a misleading name.
Ban plz.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
szycag

Post by szycag »

In other news, remember archive.org putting up all the back issues of Nintendo Power recently? Also taken down.
That is Galactic Dancing
Harpuia

Post by Harpuia »

I don't see how the similarities to ZM could be considered a bad thing. It only makes sense to mimic it considering it (and by extension Fusion if they run on the same engine) has the best engine out of all the 2D Metroid games. I mean, even Super feels clunky in comparison to the GBA titles.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Zero Mission controlled like a dream... I remember I played it on my crt tv at the time, with a Sega 6 button pad... Good times

One thing I didn't expect in this one is that I'm getting too powerful too quickly...
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm finding it hilarious that the Nintendo fanboys first didn't believe Nintendo would take it down and after they did take it down they didn't believe it really was Nintendo at first. Not to mention some fans "but they waited until it was released to take it down". Everything to keep the illusion that Nintendo is their friend and not some huge corporation.

This release made me realize I really should play Zero Mission soon.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Volteccer_Jack wrote:2 hours in and it is basically a Metroid II expansion pack for Zero Mission. Probably not gonna bother finishing it. Rather than do my usual Zero Mission bashing, I'm just gonna lament the complete absence of all Metroid II's atmosphere and most of its charm. I get the impression this was made by someone who hated the original game and thought that it needed to be "fixed".
I see your point, but it's still better than what Nintendo has given us in the last years, which is sad.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Don't Nintendo usually kill fan remakes fast? I was taking its continued existence as a good sign. Poor dev.

Thank God for torrenting.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I'm stuck in area 3. Couldn't find the last Metroid I needed and I really don't have the patience for this kind of stuff anymore. From what I played it seems decent, but a bit romhacky in some aspects.

Anyone have a link to a competent playthrough? Twitch or YT, doesn't matter, just no facecam please.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I just saw they took this down, glad I grabbed it when I did.

Sega pulled the same shit with SOR Remake, but once it's out there there is nothing they really do to keep it out of people's hands.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Love this game. Had to route 2X scaling via VGA out/640x480 through the Emotia for 240p on the XM29.

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CStarFlare wrote:Don't Nintendo usually kill fan remakes fast? I was taking its continued existence as a good sign. Poor dev.

Thank God for torrenting.
Zelda Classic has been around for a while and is still up.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Harpuia wrote:I mean, even Super feels clunky in comparison to the GBA titles.
Super benefits greatly from remapping the controls onto a four-triggered controller, so you can, say, switch weapons with your index finger as your thumbs keep doing their thing.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Leandro

Post by Leandro »

it's more about the physics than button mapping... ZM controls a lot tighter and more precise than SM, while being faster. It's more satisfying for us arcade players
KAI

Post by KAI »

Cleared it in 4 hours. I feel so empty right now.
Spoiler
Moe <3Image
Next mission never :(
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Leandro wrote:it's more about the physics than button mapping... ZM controls a lot tighter and more precise than SM, while being faster. It's more satisfying for us arcade players
Yeah. I'm still not a fan of the somersault vs neutral jump dichotomy across all games, but ZM's faster and weightier gravity/jump physics gives it an edge for me.

On the other hand, Super Metroid's wall jumping gimmicks allow you to do some very interesting and unique things with it once you master its eccentricities.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.