Nintendo Classic Mini

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Re: Nintendo Classic Mini

Post by BrianC »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Expecting Nintendo to include any Japan-only titles on something like this is pretty unrealistic, even one like Antarctic Adventure that would require little in the way of localization.
Maybe, but they did put a handful of JP only titles on VC. Speaking of that, there doesn't seem to be a FC version of the minature NES with built in games for Japan. I couldn't find any info for one at the usual sites (though Nintendolife had a talking point article, as usual) or the JP Nintendo webpage.

It's frustrating how certain titles were only JP only due to Nintendo's silly policies. Goonies (released on Vs system and PC10 in US), Dig Dug, Galaxian, and Space Invaders should have been no brainers for US release.

Edited for clarification.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

My, I didn't even realise Antarctic Adventure and Binary Land weren't on the NES (both pretty ubiquitous on Famiclones). Out of the titles I recall playing on one most fondly, I see only SMB and Ice Climber there.
Part of me secretly wishes Nintendo came out and reintroduced Urban Champion (and you know you wanna see them proudly do so too).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Anarctic Adventure is mostly known from the CV version in the US. Odd how Road Fighter got an EU release and not a US one.
GSK

Post by GSK »

BIL wrote:How odd, Double Dragon II and Super C but neither of their iconic and immensely popular predecessors. DDII is leagues better than the first game* but I somehow doubt that was the motivation. Seems weird either way. Anyhoo, imma go snuggle with my big box o' FC carts.
DDII was probably picked because it has co-op and DD doesn't (and they didn't feel like paying for two DD games when one would suffice).

Contra NES is conspicuously absent from Konami's digital libraries; it's not available on Wii U, 3DS or Wii, even though the arcade and MSX versions have been re-released in recent years. The last re-release was as an unlockable bonus in Contra 4, I believe. I've never been able to figure out what's keeping them from putting it out there...
BIL

Post by BIL »

That is bizarre! I took for granted that it'd at least be on the VC by now, though I've never had need of the service. I wonder if sheer incompetence is to blame, or if there's some convoluted legal reason. Surely not technical? I'd almost suspect the ghost of Iran-Contra, with "Super C" on this platform. I'm sure that's just haphazard selection though. Fun game but the original comprehensively smokes it.

Maybe they're afraid of the NES/FC version making the arcade and MSX2 ones look bad. :lol:
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

What's more, the arcade Contra got released on XBLA (though looking at the other classic Konami titles on there, Contra fits nicely in). I think the latest Green Beret releases were not exactly its NES version either, so maybe their current policy is to make a point those were not "Nintendo games" to begin with.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

Fuck you, nofriendo! With no on-line connectivity or additional games, I hope this piece of shit fails.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Emulators on PC/smartphone are still a better option, outside of owning the real thing of course.
Bitter Almonds

Post by Bitter Almonds »

I'd get a Nintendo console, except NES and Famicom cartridges are overpriced nowadays...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nothing to be surprised about. I can't say I'm not disappointed, but it's not like most of these things had online. At least it's not stuck with composite like previous TV games. I have most of these games in some form (almost all of them on actual NES carts) and Tecmo Bowl is a cheap pick up, though (I only have the GB version, which, despite being western ported, is actually a nice port).

I hope more details about the developer behind this (I'll still wait for a price drop, but if it's M2, I'll be more likely to pick it up, though I'm more interested in a flash cart) and if it's getting a FC version pop up soon.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Nazo no Murasame Jou is a really, really good (J) only title for the few of you that've never heard of it.

Looking at the dates the NES came out is crazy. 1983, and didn't catch fire in the US until the late 80's. With today's simultaneous release, 5 year lifespans before a new generation comes out with +2% increase to quality; just crazy different.
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Urban Champion
I want to forget that Urban Champion exists : (
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Pre-crash, virtually every console output RF and nothing else. Even composite must have been a godsend back then.
BrianC wrote:Maybe, but they did put a handful of JP only titles on VC. Speaking of that, there doesn't seem to be a FC version for Japan. I couldn't find any info for one at the usual sites (though Nintendolife had a talking point article, as usual) or the JP Nintendo webpage.
Not sure how reliable it is, but this site lists it among Konami's Famicom releases.
BryanM wrote:Sweet bejesus is FF3 a sprawling epic.

Was also the last time they used the vancianish spell charge system instead of the inferior MP system. MP is made of doodoo and farts.
Oh hell yes. Definitely a title that deserves more love within the fandom, for what it is rather than what it isn't (a game with a serious focus on narrative). That one Famitsu Top 100 list may be mostly BS, but I feel FFIII's place at #4 is well-deserved.

Casting instant death spells with your white mage is a lot of fun too. Especially when you can run out and still have twelve castings of Kearuga.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I really like this. At least the concept, will wait for final product before passing judgement.

HDMI only is great. I have a couple CRTs in the basement for my retro games, but this will give me a nice selection of NES games that I can play in the living room. It is also the most sensible single output for today's consumers.

I wonder if it is an emulator or a system on a chip? If it is an emulator, I hope it isn't laggy like the RetroN 5.

Will people be able to mod this so it can play other games?

Will the controllers have a decent build quality? Could they be modded to replace worn out NES controllers?

They say the USB port is just for power/charging, but is there a reasonable chance that the USB could also be used to enable all included games on the NX in the future?

I feel like this will be a better quality product than the junky AtGames SEGA Genesis because it is Nintendo.

I believe Contra was left out because of the naming controversy back in the 80s that resulted in the sequel being called Super C. Other games may have been excluded for similar reasons, or to maintain a specific content rating.

My primary disappointment is a lack of support for cartridges or any way to purchase additional games. Even a simple DS/3DS slot and purchaseable game bundles would have been wonderful, but they probably don't want to fight for additional retail space. Regardless, I believe it is worth the price.

What happens if this is successful? Mini SNES? Then what? Does Nintendo release a Mini Genesis or Mini TG-16 as well? What if people really want more NES games? Would they release a Mini NES2 with a different (but perhaps not mutually exclusive) set of games? I have some concern about a future where I have a dozen Mini consoles by my television and I am trying to figure which Mini NES contains the specific game I want to play.

Does this thing even exist yet? I like to believe Nintendo is already playing with working prototypes, but maybe this is more like the Retro VGS where all they have is a case and some promises. I haven't seen any video of this product in action. The Polygon FAQ Interview makes it sound like Nintendo doesn't really have all of the specifics figured out yet. Maybe the hardware/software developers are working on a "get it as good as you can before X date" kind of situation. If so, it could be amazing, or it could be another pile of junk.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
BrianC wrote:Maybe, but they did put a handful of JP only titles on VC. Speaking of that, there doesn't seem to be a FC version for Japan. I couldn't find any info for one at the usual sites (though Nintendolife had a talking point article, as usual) or the JP Nintendo webpage.
Not sure how reliable it is, but this site lists it among Konami's Famicom releases.
I was referring to the NES Classic Mini/NES Classic Edition, not Antarctic Adventure FC (which is JP only, AFAIK). I looked on Nintendo of Japan's webpage and twitter and found no info on a mini Famicom with built in games.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:Nazo no Murasame Jou is a really, really good (J) only title for the few of you that've never heard of it.

Looking at the dates the NES came out is crazy. 1983, and didn't catch fire in the US until the late 80's. With today's simultaneous release, 5 year lifespans before a new generation comes out with +2% increase to quality; just crazy different.
Murasame pwns indeed. It's Zelda 1 with any pretense of adventure divested, bloody action rushing in to fill the chasm to overbrimming. A sword is a WEAPON FOR KILLING

DIE MOTHERFUCKER 凸(`ω´メ)

That multi-gen lifespan leads to one of my favourite aspects of Famicom collecting. You can pop in Popeye or Donkey Kong for pre-crash simplicity, then fast-forward a decade to Gimmick! or Metal Storm and get your mind exploded by parallax fury and strange notions of gravity and momentum.
BryanM wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:Urban Champion
I want to forget that Urban Champion exists : (
I want this thing to play Mach Rider... without fixing the near-unplayable frameskipping. Image
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Nazo no Murasamejo is also on the US VC. I have it on 3DS.

BIL, have you tried the arcade Popeye? I like the NES port quite a bit, but the AC version has more detailed character sprites and has the sea hag throwing bottles before the second loop where she throws skulls. Most of the Parker Bros console and computer ports have the sea hag throwing bottles but not skulls (NES is the opposite). Some of the ports like Atari 800 and Colecovision are closer to the arcade in some ways, but lack the solid hit detection of the NES and AC.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

BrianC wrote:I was referring to the NES Classic Mini/NES Classic Edition, not Antarctic Adventure FC (which is JP only, AFAIK). I looked on Nintendo of Japan's webpage and twitter and found no info on a mini Famicom with built in games.
Ah. Sorry about that.

The lack of a Famicom equivalent explains the presence of the US-only* StarTropics and the absence of titles like TwinBee, The Tower of Druaga, or any of the Dragon Quest games.

*EDIT: That's US- and Europe-only.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

WelshMegalodon wrote: The lack of a Famicom equivalent explains the presence of the US-only StarTropics and the absence of titles like TwinBee, The Tower of Druaga, or any of the Dragon Quest games.
I wish it had more US only games. I guess it's unrealistic to expect Tengen games given they were mostly unlicensed and another company having the rights to Tetris, but their versions of Tetris, Klax, and Super Sprint are good stuff. Not to mention that, while the AC is technically better, the NES Super Sprint is much easier to play than the emulated versions of the arcade game (though it's probably possible to set up a good control scheme in MAME with some patience). Kind of funny that Pac-Man is in, since it sold more under Tengen than the Namco published version.

Not sure if I agree on DQ. The DW games didn't do as well as in Japan, but they were localized and still have a following. The first one is at least famous for that free game promotion in Nintendo Power.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:BIL, have you tried the arcade Popeye? I like the NES port quite a bit, but the AC version has more detailed character sprites and has the sea hag throwing bottles before the second loop where she throws skulls.
Nope! Blissfully unaware of anything but the little FC cart, haha. ^__^

I wish Nintendo would do a proper anthology of their arcade stuff - I'd be on that in a second. I literally bought Donkey Kong 64 just for its emulation (I guess it's emulated) of the arcade game. Always found DK64 itself totally bland, without even comparing it to the lovingly handcrafted Banjo-Kazooie.
Most of the Parker Bros console and computer ports have the sea hag throwing bottles but not skulls (NES is the opposite). Some of the ports like Atari 800 and Colecovision are closer to the arcade in some ways, but lack the solid hit detection of the NES and AC.
The hit detection on the FC version really impresses me - it's impeccably tight. This is something I associate with Excitebike, Spartan X and Balloon Fight too... absolute pixel-precise action. Along with the simple, vivid graphics and cute sounds, I think these games have aged beautifully.

Unlike poor Mach Rider. :[ I actually like that one enough to own, and the appalling frameskip during turns actually does kind of mesh with the action (slowing down during turns is vital), but hoo boy it's rough as hell. Highway Star and even F1 Race from a year earlier school it. I really love its unique speed control and combat aspects, though.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like the DK in DK64, but it's ported and has many differences from the arcade. I don't know the exact reason Nintendo doesn't port/emulate their arcade games, but I think it's because of issues with the company that was hired to program Donkey Kong. Not sure of the exact issues since it doesn't apply to their later or even some of their earlier AC games (and Sheriff has a nice port in Wario Ware). Nintendo also did a surprising job preserving some of their Game and Watch games with accurate renditions for GB, GBC, GBA, DS, and DSi, not to mention the fairly recent remake of the Ball handheld.

Popeye NES/FC is the best home port of the game, but I definitely recommend checking out the AC game since it's every bit as tight as the NES version and the graphics do a better job of capturing the feel of classic Popeye.

Speaking of Highway Star, Rad Racer would probably be a better choice for the mini NES than Pac-Man since it's a nice game and I remember it being quite popular back in the day. If they needed a different Namco game to replace it, Dragon Spirit for NES is also good stuff.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh right, thanks for the info on DK64's AC port! Sounds like a Namco Museum Vol.1 Pac-Man situation... TBH I'm hardly a dedicated player of either game, so as long as it services casual play I'm cool with it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

szycag

Post by szycag »

BulletMagnet wrote:They've been outdone.
If that reaches goal it will be a miracle.
That is Galactic Dancing
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

That's gotta be a joke :shock:

Also: they've raised over $3000 so far. People just love pissing away their money, don't they?
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Can't wait for the Dreamcast port of Super 3D Noah's Ark.
That is Galactic Dancing
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Excuse me if it has been shared on this forum already but this link is obligatory.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

szycag wrote:Can't wait for the Dreamcast port of Super 3D Noah's Ark.
or for that matter....the "Fully Animated Motion Picture"
antron

Post by antron »

I can't find an English video of Billy Graham's Bible Blaster from the Simpsons, but apparently it was inspired by an actual Wisdom Tree game where you convert heathens by shooting them.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/h ... usb-cable/
Not quite easy to do, but for the lucky few who were able to find and buy one...