Nintendo Classic Mini

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
KAI

Nintendo Classic Mini

Post by KAI »

Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System launches 11th November and includes 30 classic NES games

Relive the 80s when the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System launches in stores on 11th November. The classic NES is back in a familiar-yet-new form as a mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console. Plugging directly into a high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, the console comes complete with 30 NES games built-in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN and Kirby’s Adventure.

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller. And whether it’s rediscovering an old favourite or experiencing the joy of NES for the first time, the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system should have something for all players.
No CRT support. Dead before arrival.
ryu

Re: Nintendo Classic Mini

Post by ryu »

It's just an emulation machine anyways.

And I bet the european model is going to output in 50hz like all the crap VC emulations we got :roll:

Wouldn't surprise me if the thing outputs 480i only :lol:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

The list of games is rather good
Spoiler
Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts' N Ghoblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
SUPER C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.
I agree no CRT support is bad, but this isn't necessarily aimed at hardcore retro gamers anyways...it won't be an issue to their target audience. For $60 I could see this being a popular product as long as the emulation is good.

Also I hope that controller is compatible with wii/wii-u virtual console games.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Shoryukev wrote:Also I hope that controller is compatible with wii/wii-u virtual console games.
It is confirmed to work with Wiimotes according to the news so far.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

ryu wrote:
Shoryukev wrote:Also I hope that controller is compatible with wii/wii-u virtual console games.
It is confirmed to work with Wiimotes according to the news so far.
That will be a good seller then (assuming the build quality isn't garbage), I know I'd like to have one for playing the turbografx games I have downloaded on my wii.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Aside from forced lag and a probably unhelpful form factor, the third-party omissions of later games in series (i.e. the later Ninja Gaiden games, Castlevania III) doesn't inspire me. I hope the ROMs are just a "starter set." More importantly I wonder what's really under the hood of this thing - is it a rebranded WiiU? Or a Wii with a reworked video section? Or original hardware?
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

KAI wrote:No CRT support. Dead before arrival.
Someone knows what I'm talking about.
ryu wrote:And I bet the european model is going to output in 50hz like all the crap VC emulations we got :roll:
Not all of us got that 8)

I wouldn't be surprised if the console is like this piece of shit.
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Aside from forced lag and a probably unhelpful form factor, the third-party omissions of later games in series (i.e. the later Ninja Gaiden games, Castlevania III) doesn't inspire me. I hope the ROMs are just a "starter set." More importantly I wonder what's really under the hood of this thing - is it a rebranded WiiU? Or a Wii with a reworked video section? Or original hardware?
My guess is the innards of an outdated smartphone, cheap is the name of the game with stuff like this.....I doubt it's anything close to the quality of components of any of those things you mentioned LOL
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Shoryukev wrote: Ghosts' N Ghoblins
Only two Capcom titles and this is one of them? The rest of the selection is quite good, but really.

I'm really surprised by the lack of Dragon Quest.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

How odd, Double Dragon II and Super C but neither of their iconic and immensely popular predecessors. DDII is leagues better than the first game* but I somehow doubt that was the motivation. Seems weird either way. Anyhoo, imma go snuggle with my big box o' FC carts.

*but the NES version ain't shit compared to the definitive Famicom aka "XTREEM MASTER" revision!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Not quite what I was expecting the NX to be.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Bitching about this is useless. It plays Super Mario Bros. 3 on modern televisions. It looks retro. It'll be a nice Christmas gift for yuppies who have the Apple Genius Bar on speed dial.

It's not being made for any of us. Obviously, because there isn't even Lifeforce, Zanac, or Recca.

I'll take one of the pads for my Wii at $10, where I can play with sprite flicker off, if the buttons feel like the real thing. Next we'll complain about the $59.99 price tag right?
That is Galactic Dancing
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

szycag wrote:Bitching about this is useless. It plays Super Mario Bros. 3 on modern televisions. It looks retro. It'll be a nice Christmas gift for yuppies who have the Apple Genius Bar on speed dial.

It's not being made for any of us. Obviously, because there isn't even Lifeforce, Zanac, or Recca.

I'll take one of the pads for my Wii at $10, where I can play with sprite flicker off, if the buttons feel like the real thing. Next we'll complain about the $59.99 price tag right?
My thoughts exactly. I'm glad it has no cartridge support, because collecting for the NES is already expensive enough and I fear if it worked with the original cartridges the prices would spike.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The SOC in my chinese famiclone is smaller and outputs composhit. :p
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

szycag wrote:Bitching about this is useless. It plays Super Mario Bros. 3 on modern televisions. It looks retro. It'll be a nice Christmas gift for yuppies who have the Apple Genius Bar on speed dial.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and the selection of games (subpar Makaimura port notwithstanding). It'll warrant a purchase if the emulation is good and someone can get 240p out of it. This might even be the high-quality NOAC we've all been waiting for.

Not that I'm expecting any of that.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
Only two Capcom titles and this is one of them? The rest of the selection is quite good, but really.
What's wrong with Ghosts 'n' Goblins?
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Worst-case the case can be re-used. I shall most likely get one. Hardware wise: the NES hardware is very low-end as it is - a graphic calculator has more power today (one of the decent TI Graphic calcs that is) than a NES :)
More Bromances = safer people
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It's a nice idea but Christ, just stick the ROMs on a marketplace for 99p each or something and let people play the games they want. Hell, even sell mini NES carts with a bunch of games bundled in. Anything but tying it to the same batch of games forever - that's its biggest drawback.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

atheistgod1999 wrote:
WelshMegalodon wrote:
Not a popular opinion? I seem to remember several issues with the conversion. See here. This site claims that this version also introduced weapon immunities.

The coin-op original is fine. My issue is with the quality of the port.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I hadn't ever noticed it consciously before the other year, but GnG NES does have some jerky scrolling.
I guess they're just disappointed Capcom's predecessor to Breath of Fire, Sweet Home, isn't a selection.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

gonna wait for feedback before i consider it as a cute xmas gift
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Why are people moaning/upset that it doesnt have CRT support? Why would it? 99% of the people who are going to buy this won't have a CRT handy anyway and it would just add unnecessary cost to a budget item. And besides, those that do have CRT set-up will more than likely have the real hardware anyway. Just take it for what it is.

*I do 100% of my gaming on a CRT, so I'm not anti-CRT.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

WelshMegalodon wrote:The coin-op original is fine. My issue is with the quality of the port.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the NES port either.
BIL wrote:"XTREEM MASTER"
Woah! I need to give this a try.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Why are people moaning/upset that it doesnt have CRT support? Why would it? 99% of the people who are going to buy this won't have a CRT handy anyway and it would just add unnecessary cost to a budget item. And besides, those that do have CRT set-up will more than likely have the real hardware anyway.
You're completely right. Why didn't I realize that!?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like the emulated version of the arcade Makaimura in Capcom Arcade Cabinet, which I rather play over the Micronics NES/FC port (not sure why it's such a popular game to emulate. Maybe because of its kusoge status in Japan). I'll wait and see on this. I found the emulation for Nintendo NES games to generally be decent, especially on Wii and 3DS. Not sure if they licensed this out to a third party, but I would be very disappointed if that third party turned out to be @games. I almost thought this topic was about those Game & Watch keychain remakes since they had a very similar name (Nintendo Mini Classics).

I read that M2 did the GBA emulation for WiiU and it showed (games aren't listed on their site, but it says they were involved with the GBA emulation in an article on the news page). It has a nice "pixel-perfect" mode. The only GBA VC game I have is SMB3 (mainly because they decided to include the e-reader levels with it, including some unreleased ones). While I can't find any info on this, I also suspect M2 may have been responsible for the n3DS SNES emulation since it also has the "pixel-perfect" mode.
Last edited by BrianC on Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Man, I don't even like the NES that much and this is pretty tempting. Cute as hell. I probably won't get one, but I can definitely see the appeal.
Humans, think about what you have done
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mortificator wrote:
BIL wrote:"XTREEM MASTER"
Woah! I need to give this a try.
One of my favourite import surprises! After getting stomped a few times I was wondering how in god's name NES speedrunners could get away with the stuff they do, then booted a US ROM to refresh my memory and was like "lmao." Hardcore stubby Technos beater violence on FC.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Too obviously not for me, with neither Antarctic Adventure, nor Binary Land on the list. At least the talk about "Nintendo games" (that are not by Nintendo whatsoever) won't diminish completely for a while yet, which I suppose is the sole purpose of this (hint's in the name).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Expecting Nintendo to include any Japan-only titles on something like this is pretty unrealistic, even one like Antarctic Adventure that would require little in the way of localization. Though Fire Emblem, Mother, or FFIII would have made this quite a bit more desirable.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Sweet bejesus is FF3 a sprawling epic.

Was also the last time they used the vancianish spell charge system instead of the inferior MP system. MP is made of doodoo and farts.