Nintendo Classic Mini

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Udderdude

Re: Nintendo Classic Mini

Post by Udderdude »

soprano1 wrote:http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/h ... usb-cable/
Not quite easy to do, but for the lucky few who were able to find and buy one...
Might as well just get a cheap Android mini PC and load it up with emulators and ROMs/ISOs on a MicroSD card if you're going to go that far ..
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Udderdude wrote:
soprano1 wrote:http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/h ... usb-cable/
Not quite easy to do, but for the lucky few who were able to find and buy one...
Might as well just get a cheap Android mini PC and load it up with emulators and ROMs/ISOs on a MicroSD card if you're going to go that far ..
Sure, but that's not what people who bought/want to buy this product really want. They want to have a bigger library on this thing.
I'm content with Nestopia, or even my PSP sometimes, personally.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Nitpicking of the sound emulation from NESdev:

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15073
I have had a chance to watch some Youtube videos posted in the past 24 hours showcasing the NES Classic Edition and they confirmed what I had suspected from the last crop of Nintendo's videos, the noise channel emulation of the NES Classic Edition is noticeably off. Many sound effects just sound wrong. I commented on it on NintendoAge some time ago, but no one else has. I did not want to cause too much of a fuss, but the reviewers are now doing unboxings. A casual player may not notice the inaccuracy, but once you do an A to B comparison, you cannot unhear it. Examples of wrong sound effects include :

Some percussion notes is off in SMB2, Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda 2 and Mega Man 2
Balloon popping sound in Balloon Fight
Enemy popping sound and fire power in Kirby's Adventure
Enemy defeat sound in StarTropics
Thunderclaps and machine gun fire in Super C
Dodging and gloves hitting gloves in Punch Out
Hitting the candles and enemies and breakable blocks with the whip and landing in a crouch in Castlevania, also the holy water fire.
The crushers in Metal Man's stage (not positive about this one) and Metal Man's metal blades in the boss battle
Enemy defeat sound in Ninja Gaiden, gun sound when Irene shoots Ryu, windmill slash
Block breaking in SMB3
Dialogue text in Zelda 2

I could go on and on, every game seems to suffer from the issue to some extent. The emulation is definitely second rate here. Is there any obvious fault in Nintendo's emulation of the NES's noise channel? The firmware cannot be updated, but maybe a later revision could implement a fix.

Here is the video I am listening to : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LijjUluVQ_U
That's $60 saved. Or more, if the news articles about limited availability are to be believed.
Fox News wrote:The NES Classic will be back in stock at GameStop U.S. stores this week, starting Jan. 25. According to GameSpot
It's as if all your least favorite relatives showed up at your house together demanding to be taken in for the next six months.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

WelshMegalodon wrote:Nitpicking of the sound emulation from NESdev
Might as well just get a cheap Android mini PC and load it up with emulators and ROMs/ISOs on a MicroSD card if you're going to get crappy sound emulation ..
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I lack interest in the classic mini due to having both an Everdrive and an AES.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's gotta be a little bit of soul crushing to them that an emulator in a nice box sold at the same rate as the Wii U. (Think how well a real budget console devoted to nothing but retro style games could do. If backed by someone like Nintendo.)

Though whoever came up with the idea as a way to triage their barren schedule last year is probably getting a pat on the head.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BulletMagnet wrote:..aaaand it's gone.
Their reasons are, as always, idiotic. What about JP and EU?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

There were rumors back in February that the EU supply has already dried up.

I'm half expecting Nintendo to publish a "Nintendo Classics" bundle with exactly the same games on Switch ("enjoy "Nintendo Classics" on Switch - at home and on the go").
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

soprano1 wrote:What about JP and EU?
Here's the situation with the former.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

BulletMagnet wrote:
soprano1 wrote:What about JP and EU?
Here's the situation with the former.
Yeah, read that earlier today. I guess EU will follow.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I've heard people are already paying hundreds for NES Minis. That's the priciest locked down Android box I've ever seen .. :lol:

Benchmark comparison with an Android device using the same SoC as the NES Mini versus some Android sticks that I own.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5880915 <-- NES Mini SoC
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6190757 <-- $60 CDN
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6690829 <-- $20 CDN (lol)

And here's some fun technical details.

http://linux-sunxi.org/R16
http://linux-sunxi.org/Nintendo_NES_Classic_Edition
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Maybe Nintendo is trying to create an atmosphere were this becomes the prevailing sentiment:

"Screw this - buying a Switch and the games that I like on virtual console will be cheaper in the end - and a lot less hassle." :mrgreen:

According to this Nintendo may only make a couple of bucks on each unit - in which case these devices aren't "products" but just promotional material for a marketing/branding stunt.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Maybe they should just sell them for hundreds right off the bat. People don't seem to mind getting gouged for this shoddy low quality emulation crap anyway ..

I'd rather dig a 486 out of a landfill and play some NESticle. :lol:
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

They do realize they are just priming a market for somebody to crank these out, right?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Udderdude wrote:I'd rather dig a 486 out of a landfill and play some NESticle. :lol:
Hey now, hey, let's not say anything crazy, now
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

HydrogLox wrote:They do realize they are just priming a market for somebody to crank these out, right?
Not quite, but close...

I swear, if I had a dime for every "emulation box" RetroPie article on the Internet I'd be decapping chips for MAME devs.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
kitten

Post by kitten »

just secured one at ordinary retail price from a very brief sam's club restock :mrgreen:

had one of those stock alert things open praying SOMEWHERE would restock, and boom, there we went. ahhhhhh, feels nice to win something. Image

now the dilemma of whether or not to flip it or keep it! haha

i really wanted one of these to have a really easily portable and aesthetically attractive gaming experience when house-sitting or visiting my parents!
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The actual emulation is full of crap like sound lag, input lag, fake grain, and ugly anti-seizure mods. I'd sell the thing and buy a few more Game Boy carts instead.
kitten

Post by kitten »

WelshMegalodon wrote:The actual emulation is full of crap like sound lag, input lag, fake grain, and ugly anti-seizure mods. I'd sell the thing and buy a few more Game Boy carts instead.
oh, hey, i recognize this show. they were the ones who suggested using nail polish displays for game boy games! try4ce told me they got a lot of people sending in pictures of them using them, but that i was the first to send him one of the wall-mounted racks. he was pretty impressed!

i was curious why he and his buddy were going all out on such nice displays with kinda small collections without any cool oddities, but to each their own :P woulda spent the money on a fancier game boy game, rather than a display stand, in his shoes

anyway, yeah, wow. okay, nevermind, i'm hocking my nes classic after watching that! damn, i really thought this thing was supposed to be better than that?
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

kitten wrote:anyway, yeah, wow. okay, nevermind, i'm hocking my nes classic after watching that! damn, i really thought this thing was supposed to be better than that?
Nope. It's a cheap-o off the shelf ARM SoC running some custom emulator on Linux. Just because big dummy heads were paying scalpers hundreds for the things over eBay doesn't make it any good.

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... classic%2F
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Classic Mini shenanigans make me glad I have an AES and Everdrive N8.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Famiclones never die. Here's a famiclone of a famiclone so you can emulate while you imitate. Hooray.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Udderdude wrote:Famiclones never die. Here's a famiclone of a famiclone so you can emulate while you imitate. Hooray.
You missed a Yo Dawg there.
Codiene

Post by Codiene »

Anyone know if it was ever sorted so that Crisis Force would run on the NES Classic?
WelshMegalodon wrote:Both of those run just fine in MAME 0.222, pal. Maybe the problem is your shit-tier hardware.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

What was the issue?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I believe the stock emulator on it doesn't support its mapper.

Much like how the Atari 2600 was made to only support Pong and Combat, the stock NES is limited to the scope of Super Mario Brothers and Zelda. Expanding beyond that requires some jury rigging; bank switching, etc...
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

If that was the issue, it was long since sorted by allowing other emulators to be installed via RetroArch. If he's talking about running it strictly through the stock emulator - no. None of these hacks has involved rewriting Nintendo Europe's emulator in any way.