The NewZealand Story home versions

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Obiwanshinobi

The NewZealand Story home versions

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Do you know about any peculiarities of some The NewZealand home port? Like a reason to play one even emulated, when the original is already pretty good on MAME.

I'm most interested in Sega Master System, NES/Famicom and Mega Drive versions.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Mon May 30, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Re: The NewZealand Story home versions

Post by BrianC »

From what I read
SMS: Doesn't run correctly on NTSC systems and runs too fast on PBC. EU designed port. Some things are off like the stage one boss. Unlike the arcade, he can be destroyed without eating you.

NES: Renamed Kiwi Kraze in the US, despite New Zealand Story appearing in US arcades. Software Creations did the port rather than Taito themselves.

Megadrive: Early levels are based off a prototype version.

Why no interest in the PCE version? It sounds like one of the better BITD ports.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I am lazy and still have to find my preferred PCE emulator for the Wii yet.
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Misread the first post. It's probably best to stick with the AC version if MAME runs well on Wii, though the MD one may be interesting for the different level set. Keep in mind there are a few different MAME romsets with different starting levels, though most home versions are based on the JP old set. The World new set (which has the same levels as the JP new set, AFAIK) is what most US arcades had, though.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The PCE port has some of the most aggravating sound effects and music I've heard on the PCE. It was bad enough to get rid of it, though in terms of accuracy it seems pretty well based off the Japan New set, sans the heaven levels and a few enemies.

The MD port is based off the prototype, but it removes the warps, which is a big loss. (Also no Heaven levels, but to be honest I never reached them in the arcade anyhow.)

Think of the MD as The New Zealand Story 1.5 Black Label Arrange. =)
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Mega Drive New Zealand Story is a good game to 1cc. I loved it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Shame about no warps thing. Found them charming in the coin-op version I'd played.
Is Liquid Kids on PCE downgraded much?
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

EmperorIng wrote:The PCE port has some of the most aggravating sound effects and music I've heard on the PCE. It was bad enough to get rid of it, though in terms of accuracy it seems pretty well based off the Japan New set, sans the heaven levels and a few enemies.
I should have mentioned more about the music. I agree on the PCE version's music being weak. The SMS version doesn't even play the entirety of the main tune. The NES port has some nice music (apparently by Tim Follin!) and seems to be more accurate to the arcade than the SMS version. PCE version starts with the first level from the Japan old set (or at least, what MAME refers to as the old set), which the NES and SMS versions also seem to use.

Too bad there isn't an interview with Software Creations staff for the NES port. I'm really curious about the name change since, as far as I know, the game didn't do poorly in US arcades.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I wrote my two cents on SMS NZS here:

http://www.smstributes.co.uk/viewuserre ... eviewid=25

*sniff* twelve years ago and it's still online... How time flies...
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm not sure if it's an emulation issue, but the music of the SMS version even seems to be too fast when played in 50 Hz mode. Not sure if it's an emulator issue or just a poorly done rendition of the music.

SMS version looks close to the arcade version graphically, but is missing things many other ports get right (extra letters, first boss eating you, part of the music).

Do any of the home ports have the heaven levels? I know the NES version has the regular warps.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Those SMS screens do look nice.
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

I snapped up a MD copy mostly because its conversion of the arcade flyer to snapcase is bee-yootiful. :cool:
Spoiler
Though the revision differences Ing alludes to also contributed. Also is cheap! Or at least was, a few years back.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

BrianC wrote:I'm not sure if it's an emulation issue, but the music of the SMS version even seems to be too fast when played in 50 Hz mode. Not sure if it's an emulator issue or just a poorly done rendition of the music.
What Master System emulator are you using? I understand Genesis Plus GX and (I presume) Regen have surpassed Kega Fusion in terms of accuracy. MAME's Master System driver is also listed as "Good" and reports no major issues. I've been using TwoMbit since its author claims it is cycle accurate, but it doesn't appear to be very popular.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

BIL wrote:I snapped up a MD copy mostly because its conversion of the arcade flyer to snapcase is bee-yootiful. :cool:
Spoiler
Though the revision differences Ing alludes to also contributed. Also is cheap! Or at least was, a few years back.
I paid $45 for a boxed copy of it a few years back, the artwork is surreal. Love just pulling it off the shelf sometimes just to look at the artwork, and occasionally to play.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I admit to snagging a reasonably-priced CIB copy a year back, but I've yet to mod my Genesis2 to fit import carts. :oops: Isn't it as simple as cutting up those tabs on the side of the cart slot?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

WelshMegalodon wrote:
BrianC wrote:I'm not sure if it's an emulation issue, but the music of the SMS version even seems to be too fast when played in 50 Hz mode. Not sure if it's an emulator issue or just a poorly done rendition of the music.
What Master System emulator are you using? I understand Genesis Plus GX and (I presume) Regen have surpassed Kega Fusion in terms of accuracy. MAME's Master System driver is also listed as "Good" and reports no major issues. I've been using TwoMbit since its author claims it is cycle accurate, but it doesn't appear to be very popular.
I haven't tried it for awhile, just most videos I have seen have the music fast. I have switched to Genesis Plus GX via Retroarch, but I just didn't really care to try it out much since it's one of those games that doesn't work right in NTSC.

Edit: I tried it in Genesis Plus GX and have the same experience. Anyway, I am curious how the game runs on real PAL hardware, but I'm leaning towards "poorly done rendition of the music" after trying multiple emulators and seeing multiple videos.

I had some plastic on the side of the cart slot cut off the case for games to fit in the model 1 Genesis, but a Game Genie also works for most games.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

EmperorIng wrote:I admit to snagging a reasonably-priced CIB copy a year back, but I've yet to mod my Genesis2 to fit import carts. :oops: Isn't it as simple as cutting up those tabs on the side of the cart slot?
Game Genie is your friend, don't mutilate your system or a cart.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

There's no doubt that the truncated theme hurts the SMS version a lot. Then again, that kind of graphic fidelity on an 8bit port is something to marvel at. Especially in light of the MD version, which suffers from a typical MD flavor, muted palette. Which *really* doesn't belong in a game like this.

By the way, I completed the SMS using warps and it's rewarding, since the game has no continues. Doing that without exploiting the right warps must be a serious challenge indeed.
X - P - B
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I forgot to mention this about the TNZS's PCE port, which is the REAL reason I dropped it. The floating/balloon controls are totally messed up - whereas the arcade game (and MD, comparatively) offer a sense of weighty inertia with a good degree of control, the lightest tap of the d-pad on the PCE HuCard will push you forward a set speed no matter what. Since the levels are designed for much greater control and maneuverability, it really killed my Kiwi, as well as my desire to try and master the port.
Bloodreign wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I admit to snagging a reasonably-priced CIB copy a year back, but I've yet to mod my Genesis2 to fit import carts. :oops: Isn't it as simple as cutting up those tabs on the side of the cart slot?
Game Genie is your friend, don't mutilate your system or a cart.
Something that has me apprehensive about Game Genie: do you need to input codes to play all imports? Or is it only for the region-locked carts after 1992ish?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Only region locked games need codes to play. The Genesis GG even has an on and off toggle switch. After 92 is when the region locking started, but there is still a decent amount of games after that without region lock.

Game Genie can also be used to play those early EA games that only work on early consoles, though I'm not sure if a code is required.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Someone posted these info at Sega-16:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... tory/page2

taken from here:

http://retrootakudensetsu.blogspot.it/2 ... drive.html

that 1-1 prototype map looks suspiciously familiar, to the point that I have to ask: does the SMS version have the prototype maps somewhere? I definitely have played that stage.

edit: man, what a mess.
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=the-ne ... il&id=1760
so there are three arcade revisions:
"prototype" "Japan" and "World" (which makes impossible infinite scoring by warping "1-4 -> 2-1 -> 1-4").
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I gave up on getting any home ports, when the Taito Legends version plays just fine (I'm not sure if there's any real input lag? I'm very used to Rainbow Islands, so that feels like complete a lagfest on Legends, but I didn't notice any on NZS), so I got my 1cc on that. Would have bought the PCB if the game wasn't so easy that it its longevity is kinda limited. It's a delightfully small board though, and it's been going up in price lately. Was really cheap just a couple of years ago.

Essentially, I don't see any reason to not stick to the arcade original or an emulated version of it.

I do have a Liquid Kids PCB, it's a really fun underrated game. Slightly harder than NZS, but not much. I haven't heard of any interesting changes in the PCE version, but the Saturn one looks extremely close to the PCB.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Still, it's odd how many differences can you get in these ports. Warps / Extends / Hidden Heaven stage / map layouts based on three arcade boards. Yikes.

And the info online seems edgy at best. Like this, from the blog above:

Megadrive: There's some other minor alterations here and there, like being unable to 'fly' by mashing the jump button in mid-air (you can do this in the arcade game, honest!)

I've tried a MD ROM, and the flap ability is there??!?
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I tried the PC Engine port on real hardware and it's worse than I initially thought. Sound is terrible, physics are way off, vehicle speed is too fast, and controls feel unresponsive at times (tested other games and I'm 100% sure it's not the controller).

Edit: More specifics on the input response. With the PCE New Zealand Story, there is an odd pause at the level start and a large number of enemies on screen causes input delay. The sound is very frustrating. Other Taito games like Ninjawarriors and Parasol Stars have much better sound.