The title of that PCECD Castlevania game

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Recap

Post by Recap »

Turrican wrote:
Of course they need it, and you still haven't provided any evidence that the foreign word in question is ronde instead of Rondo.
I've provided some evidences that I know Japanese better than you, thoe.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Once and for all:

RINNE = Metempsychosis, eternal cycle of death of death and rebirth

In the title of the Akumajo Dracula game "Chi no Rinne" refers to the fact that Dracula is continuously reborn in some form or variation, only to be continuously slain by the next generation of Belmont Vampire Killers.

Now what is the likeliest meaning ロンド refers to?

Could it be:

- "ronde" (french): female singular adjective of circle? "Circular of Blood"? Close maybe, but doesn't make much sense.

- "ronde" (french): dancing in a circle while holding hands.
So, "Ring-around-the-rosie of Blood"?

Gimme a break! :roll:

or:

- "Rondo" (italian): A musical piece in which a musical theme continuously returns in some form or variation.

...just like Dracula continously returns in some form or variation in the Castlevania series.

This connection is completely OBVIOUS to everybody, Recap, so why do you keep insisting it's "Ronde"!?

So far you haven't yet provided one official or even semi-official source where the title is written as "Ronde".

But, anyway, I understand. It's not easy when your condescending attempt to put these ignorant forum members in their place backfires in this way...
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

^A dangerous group of Shaft's worshippers. Damn these bloody cultists.
X - P - B
CIT

Post by CIT »

Recap wrote:
Turrican wrote:
Of course they need it, and you still haven't provided any evidence that the foreign word in question is ronde instead of Rondo.
I've provided some evidences that I know Japanese better than you, thoe.
Recap様、「上には上がある」という言い習わしは御存じでしょうか。
Recap

Post by Recap »

Seven Force wrote: Now what is the likeliest meaning ロンド refers to?

Could it be:

- "ronde" (french): female singular adjective of circle? "Circular of Blood"? Close maybe, but doesn't make much sense.

- "ronde" (french): dancing in a circle while holding hands.
So, "Ring-around-the-rosie of Blood"?

Since it seems you all need a single translation, it could just be "Dance of Blood".

So far you haven't yet provided one official or even semi-official source where the title is written as "Ronde".
LOL at "semi-official". (Sorry, somebody infected me with his "posting habits")
Recap

Post by Recap »

Seven Force wrote: Recap様、「上には上がある」という言い習わしは御存じでしょうか。
Testing me?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Recap wrote:Since it seems you all need a single translation, it could just be "Dance of Blood".
Even as a translation, it's a rather poor attempt, I'd say! Gone is the music AND gone is the idea of "circle" if you only use a generic word like "dance".

Once again, Rondo, rondeau, ronde all come from the same root, and they imply the idea of circle or as Seven Force said, continuous return. After all there's a precise reason the musical piece was called Rondo.

Therefore, since it retains both the eternal return / circle element and the music element, my translation would be:

"Demon Castle Dracula X - Rondò of Blood" 8)

Not very original I admit, but far more precise. Especially in a series that has witnessed a Symphony, a Concerto, a Minuet...

P.S. Recap, I have absolutely nothing personal against you. ^^
X - P - B
samu

Post by samu »

This is just too lame. What is the point? Recap wants to prove he knows japanese? Just go take the japanese language proficiency test or something.

Now don't get me started on how people pronounce sudoku though :)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Recap wrote:
Seven Force wrote: Recap様、「上には上がある」という言い習わしは御存じでしょうか。
Testing me?
No, I just asked a rhetorical question.

But anyways, as Turrican said, nothing personal. It's just that your transliteration of the title isn't actually right, and your tapdancing around our explanations of why it's "Rondo" is rather provoking, since you present yourself with this air of definitiveness.
Pingu

Post by Pingu »

In some random conversation a few minutes ago while making fun of this topic:
_Bnu wrote: [18:39] <_Bnu> Pingu> Well, it's obviously supposed to be Chi no London, they just forgot the n!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Pingu wrote:In some random conversation a few minutes ago while making fun of this topic:
_Bnu wrote: [18:39] <_Bnu> Pingu> Well, it's obviously supposed to be Chi no London, they just forgot the n!
Classic. :lol:

Awesome, London's Blood, when we finally discover that Jack the Ripper is a servant of Dracula... I always thought SMS/GG Vampire/Master of Darkness was a Castlevania episode in disguise!
Icarus wrote:They must be Satan worshippers. They're holding hands, dancing (out of sync, I might add), and looking like they enjoy it!
They'll probably go sacrifice some virgins next.
A true Black Mass! (CV Chronicles intro music starts)
X - P - B
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

samu wrote: Now don't get me started on how people pronounce sudoku though :)
Weird you mention that, my Stats teacher gave us a few Sudokus the other day to do for extra credit.

How do you pronounce it, anyways? At first I pronounced it soo-doe-ku, but now I'm starting to think it may be sood-oh-ku.

And as for the topic, Chi no Rondo VS. Chi no Ronde is the greatest intarweb gamer arguement I've ever seen. Rock on.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Recap never bothered me too much, but now...Christ. You redefine what it is to be anal. I can't believe for a second that someone as pissy as you about this is having a very good life right now. Things will turn out for the better someday, man, don't let it get you down.
Recap

Post by Recap »

But my life is amazing right now! I even have time now to enjoy some interweb places like this!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Recap wrote: Since the game's this popular, it'd be cool if we write its subtitle correctly from now on, right? "Chi no Ronde", much like "Senko no Ronde".
Recap wrote:
nZero wrote:The game's case says ロンド with the 血の輪極 part of the title. This fits with the use of musically themed Castlevania subtitles. Where are you getting Ronde from?
" ロンド " is the kana for "Ronde", a French word for "circle". While it's also the kana for the Italian "Rondo", the former fits better the kanji's meaning they used for this gikun: 輪廻 ("endless cycle of rebirth").
If you're writing "Rondo" as "Ronde" in the official Japanese title whilst maintaining the rest of the title in Japanese morphemes, i.e. "chi no ronde", you are translating the kana "Rondo" into the possible (but very debatable) French source "Ronde", while you are transliterating the rest of the title ("chi no"). This is an illogical action. So, we can only deduce you do not know the difference between 'translate' and 'transliterate'. I'll explain it for you lest you make any more silly threads like this in the future:

'Chi no rondo' is the transliteration of the title, there is by definition no debate nor ambiguity on this matter. You see, transliterate means to transfer from one writing system (or script) to another directly--you are not transferring from one language to another (only scripts!!), hence you are not free to change vowel sounds to your liking. So, the Japanese pronunciation is written in Katakana as ロンド: rondo. RO-N-DO. Is that clear enough? Where do you see the phonographic sign for "DE" written in the Japanese? Where's the debate? It's irrelevant where the word came from or what it's supposed to be meaning. If that's how it's represented in one of the syllabic scripts of Japanese for the official title of the game, that's how you transliterate it into Roman letters. Of course there are varying orthographical conventions in Japanese transliterations into Roman letters, but none which substitute "e" for "o".

You could conceivably use "Ronde" in a translation of the title into French, if that is indeed a correct French translation of what is being meant by "Rondo" in the Japanese title (I have very little knowledge of French so I cannot comment on this). But in a transliteration you are not transferring from language to language only from script to script, hence "chi no ronde" is totally wrong, it must be "chi no rondo". Do you see the difference now?

Another case of Recap pretending to be a linguist and looking like a complete fool. :? Sad, really. I recommended months ago for him to take an Intro to Linguistics course (I teach such a course at a University), but it seems he ignored this advice, intent on living in his own fantasy world divorced from Linguistic reality and fact, where he sits as king atop a mountain of ignorance.

Anyway this is all I will post on this matter, because the answer is so simple. Recap will probably come back with a moronic post expounding upon how he is right and everyone else is wrong, blah blah blah. It's really getting old and irritating, and it's more than a bit pathetic.
sethsez

Post by sethsez »

See people?

Do you see?

This is why Recap annoys the living fuck out of some of us.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks this is him at his most anal, it isn't. I remember the days when he claimed the proper title was "Yossi's Island" and Nintendo (actually Nintendou) had just gotten it wrong. Yes, seriously.
Marc

Post by Marc »

... And it's all gone quiet at the back... sorry :lol:
Moogs

Post by Moogs »

twe wrote:
Recap wrote: Since the game's this popular, it'd be cool if we write its subtitle correctly from now on, right? "Chi no Ronde", much like "Senko no Ronde".
Recap wrote:
nZero wrote:The game's case says ロンド with the 血の輪極 part of the title. This fits with the use of musically themed Castlevania subtitles. Where are you getting Ronde from?
" ロンド " is the kana for "Ronde", a French word for "circle". While it's also the kana for the Italian "Rondo", the former fits better the kanji's meaning they used for this gikun: 輪廻 ("endless cycle of rebirth").
If you're writing "Rondo" as "Ronde" in the official Japanese title whilst maintaining the rest of the title in Japanese morphemes, i.e. "chi no ronde", you are translating the kana "Rondo" into the possible (but very debatable) French source "Ronde", while you are transliterating the rest of the title ("chi no"). This is an illogical action. So, we can only deduce you do not know the difference between 'translate' and 'transliterate'. I'll explain it for you lest you make any more silly threads like this in the future:

'Chi no rondo' is the transliteration of the title, there is by definition no debate nor ambiguity on this matter. You see, transliterate means to transfer from one writing system (or script) to another directly--you are not transferring from one language to another (only scripts!!), hence you are not free to change vowel sounds to your liking. So, the Japanese pronunciation is written in Katakana as ロンド: rondo. RO-N-DO. Is that clear enough? Where do you see the phonographic sign for "DE" written in the Japanese? Where's the debate? It's irrelevant where the word came from or what it's supposed to be meaning. If that's how it's represented in one of the syllabic scripts of Japanese for the official title of the game, that's how you transliterate it into Roman letters. Of course there are varying orthographical conventions in Japanese transliterations into Roman letters, but none which substitute "e" for "o".

You could conceivably use "Ronde" in a translation of the title into French, if that is indeed a correct French translation of what is being meant by "Rondo" in the Japanese title (I have very little knowledge of French so I cannot comment on this). But in a transliteration you are not transferring from language to language only from script to script, hence "chi no ronde" is totally wrong, it must be "chi no rondo". Do you see the difference now?

Another case of Recap pretending to be a linguist and looking like a complete fool. :? Sad, really. I recommended months ago for him to take an Intro to Linguistics course (I teach such a course at a University), but it seems he ignored this advice, intent on living in his own fantasy world divorced from Linguistic reality and fact, where he sits as king atop a mountain of ignorance.

Anyway this is all I will post on this matter, because the answer is so simple. Recap will probably come back with a moronic post expounding upon how he is right and everyone else is wrong, blah blah blah. It's really getting old and irritating, and it's more than a bit pathetic.
I want to marry you.
Recap

Post by Recap »

twe wrote: If you're writing "Rondo" as "Ronde" in the official Japanese title whilst maintaining the rest of the title in Japanese morphemes, i.e. "chi no ronde", you are translating the kana "Rondo" into the possible (but very debatable) French source "Ronde", while you are transliterating the rest of the title ("chi no"). This is an illogical action. So, we can only deduce you do not know the difference between 'translate' and 'transliterate'.

[etc]

Dear professor, all that text you put there up may serve to make happy some illiterate crybabies here, but it's bullshit. "Ronde" is a "transliteration" for ロンド much like ロンド is a "transliteration" for "ronde". The point here is that ロンド is not originally a Japanese word, hence you "cannot" apply the "orthographical conventions in Japanese transliterations into Roman letters". Using the original (and correct) form for a word written in katakana instead of its straight wapuro form still "transfers from one writing system (or script) to another directly" (in this this case, to the French "writing system" since the word is originally French), but more importantly, is the convention everybody uses to "transliterate" Japanese game titles into Roman letters, hence you will always see "Akumajou Dracula" instead of "Akumajou Dorakyura" or "Dracula: Castle of Demons", no matter how "illogical" this "action" looks to to you. And that's just the closest example.

So there you have, the discussion about "where the word came from or what it's supposed to be meaning" is "relevant" if we want an proper transliteration.

Not that I disagree that "rondo" is also a "transliteration", and a more straight one if you want, but wapuro conventions for non-Japanese forms is just stupid for the subject.

If you reply, try to keep apart insults and name calling, please. I hardly believe that such an expert linguist like you is 16 years old, so do try.

sethsez wrote:Oh, and for anyone who thinks this is him at his most anal, it isn't. I remember the days when he claimed the proper title was "Yossi's Island" and Nintendo (actually Nintendou) had just gotten it wrong. Yes, seriously.
You, my friend, didn't get ANYTHING if you're writing that.

But glad to corroborate you were one of the TNL crybabies. Hence your obsession on trolling anything I post here since I'm a member. Maybe the administrator starts to understand now; he was quite interested when he PM'd me a few months ago.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

countdown to thread lock initiated.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Hah! Twe, I'd just like to thank you for your last post. Though I'm only a student of English language and English literature, your wee Japanese-centric discourse has actually helped me with something that I'm working on at the moment [I'll not bore you folks with the details].

So, yeah... cheers! :lol:
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Marc wrote:... And it's all gone quiet at the back... sorry :lol:
*pin drops*
My Trying Not To
CIT

Post by CIT »

Recap wrote:...but wapuro conventions for non-Japanese forms is just stupid for the subject.
So if using Japanese wordprocessor conventions is so "stupid", then why the fuck do you use them yourself IN THE VERY SAME SENTENCE!!???

By your confused logic you shouldn't be writing "wapuro" but "WOR-PRO"?

Dude, you crack me up! You'd rather spend hours twisting and turning every little argument, rather than just admitting ONCE that you were wrong about something.

本当に意地っ張りな子みたい! :x
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ロンド is the katakana for Rondo, not Ronde. It has the Japanese characters "ro", "n", and "do". There is a different character for de, btw.
Recap

Post by Recap »

Seven Force wrote:
Recap wrote:...but wapuro conventions for non-Japanese forms is just stupid for the subject.
So if using Japanese wordprocessor conventions is so "stupid", then why the fuck do you use them yourself IN THE VERY SAME SENTENCE!!???

By your confused logic you shouldn't be writing "wapuro" but "WOR-PRO"?
Notice I wrote "for the subject". Some forms, usually the Japanese neologisms formed up from two different non-japanese words, are conventionally treansliterated as Japanese words. "Wor-Pro" is nothing (especially since "wor" is not a possible transliteration for "wa"). Write "Word Processor", if you prefer instead.
Recap

Post by Recap »

BrianC wrote:ロンド is the katakana for Rondo, not Ronde. It has the Japanese characters "ro", "n", and "do". There is a different character for de, btw.
Psst. Read the whole thread. Thanks.
D

Post by D »

I'll just call it "Castlevania for PC Engine".

*Be gentle*
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

Amazing thread. Finally the record can be set straight and the world of internet message boards will ring with truth brought down from on high. One of civilization's timeless mysteries has finally been brought to its knees and the population of the planet can rest easy, knowing that the world is now a safer place. A Nobel prize nomination is surely in order for the genius who brought us this hidden gem of powerful knowledge.

Recap, you are one lucky SOB. I wish it was me. Please just remember us little people when you're up there in front of your crowds of admirers, all bigtime and famous.

Pa
CIT

Post by CIT »

Recap wrote:Notice I wrote "for the subject". Some forms, usually the Japanese neologisms formed up from two different non-japanese words, are conventionally treansliterated as Japanese words. "Wor-Pro" is nothing (especially since "wor" is not a possible transliteration for "wa"). Write "Word Processor", if you prefer instead.
Sorry, but your whole theory of transliteration is bullshit to begin with, so whatever explaination you give is pointless anyway.
As you may or may not know many different transliteration and transcription systems have been deveolped over time (Hebonshiki, Nihonshiki, Kunreishiki, etc). Each have their own benefits and faults and there is disagreement to this day as to which one is best. However objectively none of these systems is more correct than the others. The only thing that is 100% correct is to just write a word in Japanese script.

In any case, under every single romanization system the last word of the title would be "RONDO".

Even if you wrote the original western (italian) word, it would still be "RONDO".

"RONDE" is simply wrong and nobody believes you, so please stop this asinine sophistry of yours, and do not reply to this post - as I, and probably everybody else on this board - doesn't give a shit what you have to say about this topic anymore anyway.

It's "RONDO"!

END OF DISCUSSION
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BTW, since we're all getting anal in here, if you're typing in Japanese, you should be using Japanese emoticons as well. So :x should be >_<# or something similar. (Someone explain to me how you type in double-byte languages on a Mac...)

^_-

(I'll get outta here before I get lynched... (((((( (( (^_^'')