Super Mario Maker

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
broken harbour

Re: Super Mario Maker

Post by broken harbour »

I actually don't mind the fact that the retconned a bunch of stuff into the original Mario Bros, and I can see why they did it in order to make the editor work across all 4 templates.

I would love to see a Doki Doki Panic/SMB2 USA toolset added in an update.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

broken harbour wrote: I would love to see a Doki Doki Panic/SMB2 USA toolset added in an update.
Me too and a SML toolset, though you can at least put bob-boms on top of a Koopa Troopa and have fast exploding bob-boms. Not sure if there's much use for Goombos/Chibibos since they are pretty much just small Goombas. I did like how they appeared in Super Mario Galaxy 2, though. I'm guessing SMB2/USA was left out because of how differently it plays. I liked how Peach has some of the sound effects from the game. At least the Pow switch is there.
ryu

Post by ryu »

I noticed another thing in the level creator of the classic titles which is HUUUGE for me. The powerups are not dependent on Marios state.
It's worse that you go from flower or feather power up to big Mario once you're hit, instead of going back all the way to small Mario. That makes it hard to balance the difficulty when you're putting down flowers and stuff.

I noticed some inaccuracies as well when I attempted to port a couple of stages I did years back in Lunar Magic. Personally I don't mind the changes since the game still feels like Mario. Though being able to swap game styles on the fly during development really isn't so great that I'd say it fully warrants the engine changes.

Here's a stage I made today, it's a challenge course that I think is pretty fair.
CB96-0000-0041-685C
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

It's always weird to see a course with spikes everywhere and then clear it your first go. I guess that's a side-effect of not going directly back to small Mario when getting hit, as you were saying. That extra hit + invul frames makes a huge difference.
I noticed another thing in the level creator of the classic titles which is HUUUGE for me. The powerups are not dependent on Marios state.
I'm pretty sure this is mostly for the sake of puzzle levels and other instances where certain power-ups would be mandatory. It would've been nice to be able to flag power-ups to just be mushrooms if Mario was small, though.
Also, while you're talking about the SMB1 physics differences, I'm kinda surprised you didn't mention how they also don't have the wall-jump glitch. ;)

In other news, Smash 4 is getting a Mario Maker-themed stage.
The two bullshit parts? The stage shows the hand placing slopes and lava tiles, which aren't in Mario Maker, and they're also putting the stage on the 3DS version, even though there aren't any known plans for a 3DS version of Mario Maker. I mean, what a cock-tease, right?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

SMB1 without the air jump glitch is not SMB1.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like how the Cheep Cheeps become flaming Cheep Cheeps when put in Lava. I think I might try my hand at a Darius II inspired level using them.

Here's a code for my latest, "Peachy Fire!" (despite the use of flaming Cheep Cheep, it was not inspired by Darius II. This was made before I put two and two together with the flaming Cheep Cheep):
9CBC-0000-0040-7440

Edit: I just finished uploading two more levels "Tuna Sashimi" (E3CD-0000-0045-0C62) and "Bowser Jr. Gets the Boot?" (37DD-0000-0044-DFF3). You can guess what the former is and the latter is an airship level with a boss fight. I'm not sure of the former is the right code since I deleted and re-uploaded (forgot to add autoscroll) and checked Miiverse for the code, but the level can be reached through my profile when using another code if that one doesn't work.
BIL

Post by BIL »

WILL YOU SAVE YOUR SON?

So emotion, gr8 interactive narrative!

Amanda Collins 10 hours ago
very dark mario maker stage.

^ IKR ;-;
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I never expected level design to take such a direction. I'm not sure the level would hold up on it's own, but that video is incredible.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
ryu

Post by ryu »

My first thought watching that was that I wanted to strangle that man. A while in I started to doubt whether he was all serious. Then I thought it was hilarious when I perceived it as a parody of narrative in videogames. In the end I was pleasently reminded of Silent Hill 2.

It's actually a really good video. lol
It's always weird to see a course with spikes everywhere and then clear it your first go. I guess that's a side-effect of not going directly back to small Mario when getting hit, as you were saying. That extra hit + invul frames makes a huge difference.
Yeah. Although I did intentionally design the course. to be somewhat lenient. I didn't want it to frustrate players.

Here are some newer courses I made. The first two are rather easy, the other two pretty difficult.
072F-0000-0043-3920
DBD4-0000-0045-9D3F
DC53-0000-004B-6F33 (This one I designed to be somewhat difficult, but it seems to be a desaster. 3% clear rate at 133 attempts atm. wtf?)
433B-0000-004F-90CE (This one I thought would be similarly difficult, but right now it's at 66% clear rate, though that might be because barely anyone has played it)
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

ryu wrote:433B-0000-004F-90CE (This one I thought would be similarly difficult, but right now it's at 66% clear rate, though that might be because barely anyone has played it)
More so because there's no death pit and you can just fly out of it near the end and ignore basically the entire level.
DC53-0000-004B-6F33 (This one I designed to be somewhat difficult, but it seems to be a desaster. 3% clear rate at 133 attempts atm. wtf?)
As one of five people so far who cleared it... note blocks are a bitch.

@BrianC: You might be slightly mad with power lol.
On the Ghost Pipes level, it's fairly easy to accidently grab the P Switch and throw it off the side of the screen. Maybe you should probably put a wall there.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I've been spending a bit of time playing other people's courses; the courses that appear under the "featured" tab actually tend to be pretty good.

I'll try to give the courses posted here a shot later tomorrow.

I also uploaded a second course, and I'll be sharing the code for that sometime later: so far only one person has beaten it out of 10 or so players, but personally I don't think it's THAT difficult (although I did design it to be somewhat difficult; it's mainly precision platforming, although it's complicated slightly by a slow autoscroll.)

I also managed to order an 8-bit mario amiibo, so I might try and design a course that somehow uses that mega mushroom in a way that doesn't just involve a mindless rampage through everything in your path (or alternatively, I could design a normal level, then just have the mega mushroom at the end for a little rampage as a reward!)
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I'm already hopelessly addicted to this. So interesting.

My first level = 41A6-0000-0054-4782
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BrianC wrote:"Bowser Jr. Gets the Boot?" [...] an airship level with a boss fight.
:lol:
BOWZA
JAMES BOWZA JR.
ryu

Post by ryu »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:More so because there's no death pit and you can just fly out of it near the end and ignore basically the entire level.
I assumed that most players would have problems enough with all the enemies up there, and that only a low percentage of players is capable of controlled cape-flight. Guess I was wrong there. Judging the average skill level of Mario players might be harder than expected.
mamboFoxtrot wrote:As one of five people so far who cleared it... note blocks are a bitch.
True, that part was intentionally mean. I've seen worse note block stages though (which is why I'm now good at jumping from them and tend to make stuff like that...).
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Finished another one. I'm noticing that most of the popular levels are easy peasy.

796E-0000-0055-9411
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

mamboFoxtrot wrote: @BrianC: You might be slightly mad with power lol.
On the Ghost Pipes level, it's fairly easy to accidently grab the P Switch and throw it off the side of the screen. Maybe you should probably put a wall there.
I think it's too easy to accidently grab the P Switch in general, though it can be just as easily kicked in the other direction. It's a little late to make a change since I only have one upload left. I'll go ahead and put a pipe with a P-Switch there in the offline version, though. I think it will work better than a wall since it respawns the P-Switch.

Actually, if I remember correctly, it's at the edge of the screen, so I'm not sure if I can do anything.

Edit: It is at the edge, but I thought of a change I could make to make things easier. I might go ahead and make an edit, but I will wait for more uploads since I want to make a completely different level.
Last edited by BrianC on Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Finished up my second level: DOEF-0000-0054-000C

This one has 3 different paths that can be used to reach the end, I made it challenging but not unfair or so difficult it pisses you off, the main thing is people like levels that are fun.

I tried to make a stage that looks like it could have been in the original game, not sure if I accomplished that but... Enjoy.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

I've made a few stages!

The one I'm most proud of so far is Fortress in the Sky, which can be found at 27D8-0000-0056-B653. If you want some shmup-style, take the pipe that's marked with a cannon and bomb.

My latest is The forgotten deep, at CFE7-0000-0052-E563. This one is tricky - it's a nonlinear exploration stage, and the way to the exit is not immediately apparent. There's multiple ways so solve the puzzle.

There's two more stages on my profile you can try out. Can you become the second person ever (not counting me) to beat Don't eat the mushroom!? It's a bit of an ass of a stage, honestly.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
ryu

Post by ryu »

broken harbour, that course ID is invalid. Did you delete it?
KennyMan666 wrote:I've made a few stages!
I beat your challenge stage, you're free to suffer a worse fate:
09EB-0000-0049-FAE0

Fortess in the Sky is pretty good, I need get back to it though since I didn't manage to beat the boss on my first couple of tries. Btw I wasn't a fan of the "shmup" section. The Klown Cup or whatever it's called is a terrible gimmick imo. It's too large and bounces off everything like crazy. I prefer the good old cloud for flying around. Forgotten Deep I'll play when I'm in the mood for a puzzle stage.
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

ryu wrote:Btw I wasn't a fan of the "shmup" section. The Klown Cup or whatever it's called is a terrible gimmick imo. It's too large and bounces off everything like crazy.
I didn't originally plan on making it shmup-ish, it was something I realized after I had made it. It was also the first of the interior sections I made, so I decided it was going to be the hard choice and make the other ones easier. The idea became to make easy-normal-hard, and the one with the enemies is supposed to be the easy one, but I'm honestly not sure if that or the vine/spike option is easier.

Both Fortress in the Sky and The forgotten deep has three 1-ups you can get. Fortress used to have more, but after playing 100 Mario Challenge, I realized why one of my friends was going with exactly 3 (not counting coins and exit bonuses) hidden ones per stage, so I've started doing that too and it was one of the things I changed in the latest revision of Fortress (the third revision, which mostly brought cosmetic changes and is highly likely the final revision. I also added a secret thing that is actually impossible to get and is mostly to fuck with people who notice it on the stage select overview).

Got a new course idea, more on that later.
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

broken harbour wrote:Finished up my second level: DOEF-0000-0054-000C
My bad, I typed the course wrong. It should be:

D0EF-0000-0054-000C
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Alright, one more! F4CE-0000-0059-4F1A takes you to Topsy-Turvy Mountain.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

You guys want a challenge? Try this one.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Someone should try to do versions of e-card reader Super Mario Advance 4 levels. I only had one of those for a brief time and I bet the cards are really rare now. Kind of lost to history since few even remember that functionality... Even if you can emulate it I bet it's a pain in the ass.
That is Galactic Dancing
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Ruldra wrote:You guys want a challenge? Try this one.
That's not really my idea of good challenge lol.

Dram has a few clears of stages like that on his channel.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Doh. I thought the upload limit meant the number of times you can upload, not the amount of levels you had online. I went ahead and uploaded the remix of Ghostly Pipes. I also deleted a couple of levels to make room for more (the spikes under the flames in Peachy Fire (Fairy Tail reference) didn't go over too well, though the jump wasn't that hard to make). I moved the P-Switch. ;) The code for the remix is B06E-0000-005B-04CA.

edit: I updated the original level, as well, to make the P-Switch easier to reach. 8659-0000-005B-389A
szycag wrote:Someone should try to do versions of e-card reader Super Mario Advance 4 levels. I only had one of those for a brief time and I bet the cards are really rare now. Kind of lost to history since few even remember that functionality... Even if you can emulate it I bet it's a pain in the ass.
That would be cool if done right. Someone made some neat SML remixes with Mario Maker. I'll check on the codes next time I play.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Really want to play this but only want to pay $0 for a U... grumble.

Folks have talked about making other games like this for say Zelda... I think a more consolidated thing like Nintendo Maker could work. Make Kid Icarus/Zelda/Metroid levels. Hell, youtube makes it look like 20% of the levels are already trying to be those.
ancestral-knowledge

Post by ancestral-knowledge »

BryanM wrote:Really want to play this but only want to pay $0 for a U... grumble.

Folks have talked about making other games like this for say Zelda... I think a more consolidated thing like Nintendo Maker could work. Make Kid Icarus/Zelda/Metroid levels. Hell, youtube makes it look like 20% of the levels are already trying to be those.
I don"t know what the problem is. The wii u is prety cheap, there are great games for the system and the virtual console releases for NES (I don't know about others) and third parties are very good. You could also wait for the next price drop (if there will be one) or get one off ebay.
ryu

Post by ryu »

ancestral-knowledge wrote:I don"t know what the problem is. The wii u is prety cheap, there are great games for the system and the virtual console releases for NES (I don't know about others) and third parties are very good. You could also wait for the next price drop (if there will be one) or get one off ebay.
When people have limited resources, they have to consider what to spend their money on.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Are the Wii and VC games STILL 50 Hz only on PAL Wii U? That was, like, Jesus wept in this day and age (MOST PAL Wii games are 60 Hz on PAL Wii for what it's worth).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off