Sega Genesis must haves

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Andi

Post by Andi »

LoneSage wrote:Atomic Runner – incredibly odd run ‘n gunner…where you can never stop running. Nonetheless the music is interesting and the game is enjoyable. Pick it up, pretty hard to find in most area.
I purchased a copy of Atomic Runner despite what I heard on this forum and elsewhere about it being garbage. The gimmick of running constantly had me curious and LoneSage and I seem to like the same games. Sadly, the gimmick is completely ruined by one thing - the change direction button. Not only is it unnecessary to handle switching directions in such a way, but extremely difficult to do. Such a shame, because aside from this utterly-fun-destroying design error, the game seems great.

Also, Subterrania is amazing. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned. A very innovative and well-designed, mission-based "cave-flyer" game.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Shatterhand wrote:About the Mickey games... Fantasia is crap. Castle of Illusion is average (The SMS game is a hell lot better IMO), Mickey Mania is above average. I would get both CoI and MM if they were cheap.
No, no, no... Fantasia is crappy, Mickey Mania is passable, Castle of Illusion is awesome, and World of Illusion is fantastic. Talking about Disney games, try Quackshot too. Be sure, however, to avoid Mickey's Ultimate Challenge like the plague!
Shatterhand wrote:Decap Attack indeed is awesome. You can't get wrong with it.
Please tell me you're joking! That game is crap! :shock:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm still wondering why Atari chose to port Ninja Gaiden III to the Lynx over the first two NES games. The GB got a decent Ninja Gaiden that isn't near as good as the NES games. That one actually plays more like Shadow of the Ninja in some ways.

I highly recommend Fire Shark. It's an excellent arcade port to the Genesis.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Stormwatch wrote: No, no, no... Fantasia is crappy, Mickey Mania is passable, Castle of Illusion is awesome, and World of Illusion is fantastic. Talking about Disney games, try Quackshot too. Be sure, however, to avoid Mickey's Ultimate Challenge like the plague!
My ordering:

World of Illusion >>>> Mickey Mania > Castle of Illusion >>>> Fantasia. World of Illusion is just an amazing game. I've never played the "other" Mickey game and I sure don't want to.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ganelon wrote:
Stormwatch wrote: No, no, no... Fantasia is crappy, Mickey Mania is passable, Castle of Illusion is awesome, and World of Illusion is fantastic. Talking about Disney games, try Quackshot too. Be sure, however, to avoid Mickey's Ultimate Challenge like the plague!
My ordering:

World of Illusion >>>> Mickey Mania > Castle of Illusion >>>> Fantasia. World of Illusion is just an amazing game. I've never played the "other" Mickey game and I sure don't want to.
World of Illusion is a wonderful game. IMO, it's a great one player game, but to fully enjoy it, you must try out the fantastic two player mode. The coolest thing about two player is that the levels have been altered so both players have to work togeather to get through the levels.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Andi wrote:[Such a shame, because aside from this utterly-fun-destroying design error, the game seems great.
Stick with it, I hated it at first but the later levels were pretty cool ;) Stupid fun at its best.
Andi

Post by Andi »

LoneSage wrote:Stick with it, I hated it at first but the later levels were pretty cool ;) Stupid fun at its best.
Well, maybe I'm being hopeful, but I'll give it a couple more tries. I want to like this game so badly.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

LoneSage wrote:Turrican: I’m pretty sure instead of Another World the sequel to Flashback is Out of this World. Just to clarify.
Sorry, but no. The actual sequel to Flashback is Fade to Black, on PSX. Crappy game.

Another World/Out of this World's sequel is Heart of the Alien.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I had said that in a post, but I think it didn't went online or something.

Anyway

Caslte of Illusion on the SMS is better than the MD one!

World of Illusion IMO is better than Castle of Illusion.

And Quackshot it's the BEST Disney game EVER. I love that game.

I think Sega liked Donald Duck more :). The Lucky Dime Caper on the SMS is also awesome stuff!

Oh.. Mickey's Ultimate Challenge it's a game for kids. I think you can't even die, or have a "Game over" screen. I remember most stuff on it was very on the educational side..

It's just weird because that's not the kind of game you get on consoles..
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

No one has listed After Burner II (one of the best 3D shooters ever made) yet!? :lol:
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Bought a complete DeCap Attack yesterday along with a complete Altered Beast with a few other games for $2 yesterday.

DeCap Attack's lame, I didn't like it a decade ago and I don't like it today. I'll play it some more, but I highly doubt I'll like it very much.

Played Altered Beast for the first time yesterday, too. WOW, I'm actually impressed. Mostly by the un-censorship. I mean, despite the slowly forced scrolling, the game more than makes up for it with the exploding bodies and whatnot. What I am incredibly impressed by is the voices...I mean, these are actually intelligible voices on par with the SNES sound system. The game itself is fun, and I was immediately reminded of Last Battle...if Last Battle was uncensored. It really irritates me that Last battle got such an awful hack job, because if it played the way it should have played (like AB), then it could have been a cult classic, easily.

Anyways, yup, my theory was correct -- the game is definitely made by the same team by the original Golden Axe (what with the kanji on the title screen and actually using a creature from Golden Axe in the game).

I'm quite surprised by how much fun I'm having with AB..top-notch stuff circa '89.

Also, Wise Fwom Youw Gwave sounds a lot like Rise From Your Grave to me. I dunno where anyone else heard the other sound byte.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

LoneSage wrote:Also, Wise Fwom Youw Gwave sounds a lot like Rise From Your Grave to me. I dunno where anyone else heard the other sound byte.
Ditto, never heard the announcer talk like Elmer Fudd. I thought Altered Beast voices were quite clear unlike some other Genesis clips. BTW, if you liked the Genesis version, you may want to try the GBA game. Note though that the GBA remake doesn't really feel similar and is really long.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Decap Attack is the bastard brother to the SMS Psycho Fox. Play it instead. It seems a bit more entertaining.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

O c'mon, what's so wrong with Decap Attack? Many people here recommended it :)
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

It feels like a creepy version of Psycho Fox. And uninspired. Trust me, I played it. And regretted doing so.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Specineff wrote:It feels like a creepy version of Psycho Fox. And uninspired. Trust me, I played it. And regretted doing so.
I liked it a lot. I only played the japanese "Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure" version, though, maybe DeCap Attack is different not only in gfx and sound.

If you like Psycho Fox, you'll definitely love this game, as it plays exactly like a direct sequel. Loads of fun, good and sometimes even original level design. It even fixes some minor issues Psycho Fox had (control issues and hit detection mostly). As long as you don't expect any groundbreaking stuff, you get a well-made game that's very entertaining. And the last boss fight is actually quite challenging.
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

I concur on Decap Attack. I prefer the graphical style of Psycho Fox, but I like the level design and gameplay of Decap Attack better. Psycho Fox has better bosses, though, and I like the ability to change into different animals. Psycho Fox might be a bit better, but Decap Attack is still pretty good.

I believe there's a third Psycho Fox-style game for the NES by the same people, but I forget the name. It's supposedly not very good.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I've been playing Sensible Soccer and Roadrash 3, both are excellent.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Shatterhand wrote:O c'mon, what's so wrong with Decap Attack? Many people here recommended it :)
As am I. I bought Decapattack new when it was released and had many hours of enjoyment from it. Matter of fact, it's one of those Genesis titles I find myself going back to periodically when I want something a little older to play and I'm not in a shmuppy mood.

The things that make DC fun for me:
1. The graphics - very colorful and appropriate for the theme.
2. The music - I think the tunes are great!
3. The levels - I like the level design
4. The special weapons & items - they add an element to the game that sets it apart from your standard "collect items & use them" platformer.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

Blue Lander wrote:I believe there's a third Psycho Fox-style game for the NES by the same people, but I forget the name. It's supposedly not very good.
it's called Kid Kool. I never played it, though.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Kid Kool's as much of a classic as Little Samson, every NES owner should check it out.
EastEndDestroyer

Post by EastEndDestroyer »

Decapattack is really awesome. It does things differently than the other platformers released.

Hey I have a genesis.

Where Can I find bloodlines?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

LoneSage wrote:Kid Kool's as much of a classic as Little Samson, every NES owner should check it out.
Kid Kool brings back memories. I won that game in a Tetris competetion. I actually like that game quite a bit.
Marc

Post by Marc »

That Ranma 1\2 game for the SNES is a good example. I can't remember what they changed the name to, but I remember the lead characters had mullets
Street Combat. And it was an absolute disgrace. Don't normally get worked up about stuff like that, but this was an utter embarrassment.
Wings of Wor – Another shmup that’s reminiscient of Legendary Wings (except WOW is horizontal). It’s pretty fugly but still enjoyable. Pretty hard to find nowadays too. Check it out if you can.
You're kidding? Gynoug/WOR doesn't start off the most graphically interesting of games, but it gets better the further you get. Anyone seen the level set inside some sort of body/stomach (5 I think)? Effects to make the SNES drool. And I'm surprised no-one mentioned the music yet, it's fuckin awsome. One of the MD's most under-rated shooters IMO.

Anyone mention E-Swat yet? So much better than the coin-op it's untrue, I actually prefered this to Super Shinobi.

Another vote for Magical Flying Hat over Decap Attack, DA's graphics were just a bit too dark and muddy for me, much preferred the clean almost Master-System look of Flying Hat. A cool game either way though.

And for some reason, and you can laugh all you like, I have a soft spot for the MD port of Pit-Fighter :oops:
Soulo

Post by Soulo »

The Ooze
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Revenge of Shinobi and Shadow Dancer were pretty good.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
TVG

Post by TVG »

its crazy im the only one to mention jewel master :(
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Soulo wrote:The Ooze
I played this on the Sonic Mega Collection and while the concept is cool, I thought it was pretty boring.

Now Ristar however...there's a gem.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
King Slime

Post by King Slime »

Oh here's an awesome game for the genesis: Midnight Resistance!!11!one
It is the best game ever!!1 It is so much fun that I ripped it from my genesis, and obliterated it, and slaughtered the guys at Data East!1!1!!!11one LOLZ

If you are looking for a cheap piece of crap that'll make you laugh due to poorly constructed physics, get Midnight Resistance, the worst Contra clone since Gun Force.
"If capcom must crank a new game every 3 months, it's your duty to keep on top of the new developments in your fanfic script, no matter how not fun it is."
-The silly wisdom of DJ Incompetent
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I read those gamefaqs reviews of Kid Kool and they aren't very good. The control is pretty good IMO. It's similar to Psycho Fox's control, but a slight bit looser. Certain other NES games also got a bum rap at gamefaqs. Ghosts 'n Goblins comes to mind.

I played Midnight Resistance and read some reviews of it. I don't remember the physics or the gameplay being that bad. The game certainly isn't as good as Contra or Gunstar, but please explain why you think the physics are so bad. From what I remember, Midnight Resistance is merely average, not terribly bad.

The Game Gear Castle of Illusion and Donald Duck: Lucky Dime caper are ports of the SMS versions and both very good from what I tried. The GG also has Land of Illusion, which I think also has a SMS version, though only the GG one came out in the US. There is also Legend of Illusion for Game Gear, which was ported to the Master System in Brazil.