From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Sumez wrote:I found the final boss in Elden Ring to be a generally (surprisingly) poorly designed fight, in the sense that it's just not very fun or satisfying to fight. Its size and movements makes visibility a non-existant factor. Especially if you're planning on doing melee damage to it.
It's a fairly easy fight given you're leveling like normal and not doing any crazy challenge runs, so can afford to tank a little bit of damage, and I believe some of the worst issues with it have been patched since I played the game. But it's still not very good.
I agree it's not a fun fight.

I played completely unpatched. There were some things missing from the game sadly. Some other stuff was different too even compared to the day one patch. I assume it was day one because people talked about some stuff in the game that was different from what I experienced.
ryu

Post by ryu »

bcass wrote:The main annoyance with Elden Beast is that it constantly runs away. Although Radagon and Elden Beast are highly resistant to FTH attacks, the best build for annihilating them is a FTH build. Use Blasphemous Blade L2 attack for Radagon and Pest Threads for Elden Beast. Make sure you have 99 FTH with the following talismans equipped: Fire Scorpion Charm, Faithful's Canvas Talisman, Shard of Alexander, Ritual Sword Talisman. For Physick flask: Flame-Shrouded Cracked Tear and Opaline Bubbletear. Radagon will be dead in around 4 hits with this build.
"Just do these things and it's a piece of cake." That's exactly how I don't play these games on purpose to have a semblence of challenge left for me lol

Malenia was surprisingly easy compared to the last bost, but I had to rely on a lot of RNG luck once more. I feel like the bosses are intentionally designed in ways that make them difficult for even good players, so that performing well on them takes many hours of practice. It doesn't work well with the Souls combat because there's nothing that feels satisfying about getting to punish the boss every once in a while with a poke. On the other hand going all out with spells isn't the way to go either. Sekiro really did everything right. That game punished you hard for your mistakes but also rewarded you for doing well. Elden Ring only rewards you for breaking the game so you can feel good about your theorycrafting...

Anyways, the new open world works. There's enough locations and treasures that I didn't feel it was empty and felt "rewarded" for exploring. However I also wouldn't say it's a strong point. There are some great sights and interesting locations, but for the most part it's a lot of copy & paste. The player also likely doesn't need every item in the game for their build. So the map could have been half the size, the remaining treasures spread around the dungeons and it would have only served for the good of the game. As it is it feels awfully padded. For my second character I curated a list of items to get and where to get them so that I don't have to play the whole game all over again.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
bcass

Post by bcass »

ryu wrote:"Just do these things and it's a piece of cake." That's exactly how I don't play these games on purpose to have a semblence of challenge left for me lol
Same here. My first killing of the last two bosses was not with any kind of optimised build, and was quite frankly an undignified scramble using all the wrong tools! I do however like to put together highly optimised co-op builds to help other players after I've finished the game.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

bcass wrote: help other players
Never understood why people do this :lol:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
bcass

Post by bcass »

I've spent thousands of hours doing it. It's fun making super-optimised builds to annihilate tough bosses.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Blinge wrote:
bcass wrote: help other players
Never understood why people do this :lol:
I did this in DS II+III because it's a safe way to learn areas and bosses without risk.

Been playing ER offline because I'm tired of the community. Used to be fun when invaders showed up sparcely and came straight to you. I remember them constantly abusing the environment and running away in Dark Souls III, which only served to the detriment of the experience.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thymesia dropped a few weeks ago. Anyone pick it up yet?

EDIT - Never mind. Stevens has picked it up himself as its been on my wishlist since November. Will report back.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

10 minutes in, Thymesia is Sekiro + Bloodborne. Come get some.

Two hours in - thoughts:

The good
- Great setting. Yeah it's stuff you've seen before, but it's still great here
- Fast paced souls inspired combat, the game shines here.

The bad
- Poorly optimized. I have a rig more than capable of running it smooth at high settings, but I had to go to performance mode and turn v sync off. The stuttering was Blighttown bad, ironically. If you buy it you'll see what I mean.

The bad could kill it for some, but (now that I figured out the fps bs) there is a tight little game here. Hopefully they address the performance issues cause the game play is spot on.

Performance issues could be on my end too, but I don't think so.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Yeah I hear it's a solid game. I don't like the main character's design though.

Also this happened to me yersterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCRbr5r9Hi8
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ryu wrote: I did this in DS II+III because it's a safe way to learn areas and bosses without risk.
but there is no risk!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thymesia has run well since said adjustments. First main boss was a pretty damn cool fight. Combat is like Sekiro in that there are two meters. They're not separate though - the top one is white and under it is a green one.

You use your sword to lower the white to expose the green and use your claw attack to lower the green. If you take too much time the white will regenerate. Once you figure it out it feels a bit like Sekiro - you hit that stride/rhythm where you're just mowing fuckers down. It's not particularly hard yet, I could also have figured out a good build. There have been a few mini boss types that took a few tries. The first main boss took me about ten tries.

I definitely recommend it at this point.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Blinge wrote:
ryu wrote: I did this in DS II+III because it's a safe way to learn areas and bosses without risk.
but there is no risk!
have to admit i've always enjoyed building my characters more than the challenge.

anyone else started reading the elden ring manga? it's great in pointing out how ridiculous the game is. actually made me laugh out loud a few times.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

but.. you essentially don't lose anything if you die or fail a boss/area.

Maybe you could make an argument for losing too much of your health bar in DS2, but there's SO many human effigies available and a ring that cuts your loss by half anyway. It's basically not a factor?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Blinge wrote:but.. you essentially don't lose anything if you die or fail a boss/area.

Maybe you could make an argument for losing too much of your health bar in DS2, but there's SO many human effigies available and a ring that cuts your loss by half anyway. It's basically not a factor?
Losing souls always annoys me more than it should on my first playthroughs
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I just finished Thymesia. Fun game! Very short by Souls standards, but I’m actually glad that it doesn’t overstay its welcome. It feels like a cross between Sekiro and Nioh mechanically and design-wise. It got a lot more fun when I started using the knife sub weapon regularly. Here’s a video I made of a fairly clean boss fight if you want to get a sense for the feel:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrB-zVzLR8g
ryu

Post by ryu »

I’m actually glad that it doesn’t overstay its welcome
How I wish I could say that about Elden Ring.

Thymesia looks alright but I'm kind of tired of these hard-action games. I struggle beating bosses and instead of feeling accomplished end up feeling pathetic that I didn't do better. Obviously the solution is to spend more time on these games but I'd rather keep that resource for other activities (and other kinds of games).

Been playing Blasphemous. Late to the party but what gives. Feels like the game would be awesome as a pure action platformer that goes from stage to stage. It's a bit too difficult to work great within the metroidvania formula, backtracking through some of the areas can be a real chore. Fantastic art direction, graphics quality and world building however.
Last edited by ryu on Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Woohoo. Glad I'm not the only one.

I'm at the end - I think I have two more bosses.
Spoiler
Knife sub is insane, especially with short cast after deflect. Might be the best plague weapon - you get it early and it can carry you through the whole game.

I hear shield is nuts too, but haven't tried it.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

ryu wrote:Thymesia looks alright but I'm kind of tired of these hard-action games. I struggle beating bosses and instead of feeling accomplished end up feeling pathetic that I didn't do better. Obviously the solution is to spend more time on these games but I'd rather keep that resource for other activities (and other kinds of games).
Yeah, I hear you. Thymesia was cool, but forgettable. You aren’t missing much not playing it—however, I will say it is nowhere near as hard as the stuff in a modern Souls game (The final boss of Sekiro took me an entire evening of grueling attempts). The hardest boss fights in Thymesia only had me stuck for 10-12 attempts, or maybe a tad longer when I was trying to deeply learn them for a stylish feeling kill like that vid I posted.
ryu

Post by ryu »

The final boss of Sekiro took me an entire evening of grueling attempts
Glad it wasn't just me. Some bosses in Sekiro legit made me depressed and think I was starting to mentally degrade due to age...

Has anyone played Blasphemous and knows how NG+ works? I read that the player and enemies deal more damage, in addition to the player starting with their weapon maxxed out. So I'm surprised that I'm not one-shotting everything early in the game. Do enemies also take less damage?
Steamflogger Boss

The final boss of Sekiro is probably my luckiest From moment the more I read about how other players did on it. I certainly had my struggles in Sekiro, two bosses in particular. But the last boss I did like 2nd or 3rd try.

I know multiple people that quit right at the end because of that fight. I did convince one friend to go back and try again. He did the whole game again and was able to finish this time. :)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I did the "get summoned to practice the boss fight" trick for a couple of bosses in DS3, and I think it's a pretty cool approach, honestly. I'd never summon others myself, but getting summoned gives you a lot more free space to actually observe analyze the behaviors of the boss, and figure out how to handle it in a better way than you'll do while you have to worry about not dying meanwhile. And you'll most likely just get to see a lot more of it than if you just get murdered instantly.
I didn't have this option for Bloodborne and Elden Ring due to Sony's annoying online membership model, and I honestly really missed it in those. It's true that there's no real consequence to dying in a Souls game, but even the runback can feel like an obstacle during the learning process.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Seeing what Thymesia feels like at level 1/no talents. Here’s the first boss:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_RRedP_JE
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ryu wrote:Has anyone played Blasphemous and knows how NG+ works? I read that the player and enemies deal more damage, in addition to the player starting with their weapon maxxed out. So I'm surprised that I'm not one-shotting everything early in the game. Do enemies also take less damage?
If memory serves there are three NG+ variations you can choose from, each with different extra challenges to deal with (one standardizes enemy damage but weakens your healing, another strengthens your magic but weakens your main attack, etc.), though no matter what you do keep a lot of what you found the first time through, sword upgrades included. Not sure offhand if enemies are universally buffed no matter which option you choose.
ryu

Post by ryu »

BulletMagnet wrote:
ryu wrote:Has anyone played Blasphemous and knows how NG+ works? I read that the player and enemies deal more damage, in addition to the player starting with their weapon maxxed out. So I'm surprised that I'm not one-shotting everything early in the game. Do enemies also take less damage?
If memory serves there are three NG+ variations you can choose from, each with different extra challenges to deal with (one standardizes enemy damage but weakens your healing, another strengthens your magic but weakens your main attack, etc.), though no matter what you do keep a lot of what you found the first time through, sword upgrades included. Not sure offhand if enemies are universally buffed no matter which option you choose.
None of them said anything about stronger enemies. I didn't choose any of the extra challenges but maybe I should have at least tried the one that respawns enemies on reentry. I'm using Heart of Oils to boost my damage and die in 1 to 2 hits from everything. It's an interesting challenge so far, but I have no idea if I'll last. Later areas and bosses are going to be tough for sure.
Necronopticous wrote:Seeing what Thymesia feels like at level 1/no talents. Here’s the first boss:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr_RRedP_JE
Good job on these. Can you use parry to cancel all of your attacks in that game? Though that's probably been in Bloodborne and I just forgot. But I certainly wish Elden Ring hat cancelling.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

ryu wrote:Can you use parry to cancel all of your attacks in that game? Though that's probably been in Bloodborne and I just forgot. But I certainly wish Elden Ring hat cancelling.
Hm...It feels like there is a window in the first half of your attack animation where cancelling is possible, but after a certain point you're locked in. It feels pretty similar to Sekiro in that regard.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Been doing, and streaming, a Fat + spear build run of DS1
but i'm not allowed to roll, once.

If i roll i have to kill myself
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:Been doing, and streaming, a Fat + spear build run of DS1

Streaming? NANI??! Sounds fun.

Currently I'm addicted to watching first playthrough streams of DS1 and DS3 again. Really love reactions to things in DS1 especially.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Damn right I called you a beast! THEN I CALL YO MAMA ASK HER SUCK MAH DICK MAHFUCKA (◎w◎;)
Spoiler

BACK ON TEH STREETS in YHARNEH TOWN, and feelin FOOKIN RIIITE M8S :shock:
ryu wrote:Can you use parry to cancel all of your attacks in that game? Though that's probably been in Bloodborne and I just forgot.
Def not in BB, you're wedded to your attacks FO LIFE just like a CV1 jump arc. :cool:

I fired up BB wondering "do I really need to play DS3 at 60fps?" The framerate at first felt hallucinogenic. But then I started to playing and sweet Jesus.

You know I'd convinced myself, going from DS1 to DS2, that BB shared the former's restraint with dogpiling. While it's true you'll rarely encounter heavy, deadly enemies more than one at a time, unlike the brutal gauntlets of DS2 - I was pleasantly reminded that BB gives not one fuck about deluging the player with zako and mid-carders. Joyful carnage. I'm surprised at how aggressively I'm using un-locked combat now, something I picked up from DS2's aforesaid titanic rucks in Heide and Brume.

Also, the overall world design. Not "stage design," though that's great too, but the sense of place. DS2 actually has really strong stage design, imo. No Man's Wharf, Brume Tower, Shulva and many others, love 'em. But the overworld, outside of the heartbreakingly gorgeous Majula, just crushes my balls under a ton of sadness. I hate how you're basically on a tiny, narrow dirt track for all of Shaded Woods, or in tight interstitial corridors elsewhere (en route to Forest of Fallen Giants, or Heide's Tower, or Huntsman's Copse).

As said, the stages themselves, loved 'em. But it's such a breath of fresh air to be back in a world that's aesthetically pleasing simply to inhabit.

Well not a "world," another thing I was reminded of - but a sprawling town, and its tangled outskirts, and nightmare othersides. Sumez and I were noting BB's relatively small scale, compared to DS1. Having returned, I think what I'd like is not an expansion outward, but a greater detailing inward. Let me explore some more of those gorgeous buildings and crumbling houses, or hop a broken fence and see what's up in that little lane overlooking Hemwick - never mind tantalisingly unexplored places like Witches' Abode, and a good chunk of Upper Cathedral Ward.

If DS1 is an oldschool ARPG ala Faxanadu gone full soaring 3D, BB is more akin to the smaller scope and fine-brush detail of classic RE/SH. Horror benefits from intimacy, small-scale excursions into random dwellings and lanes containing god knows what.

I have a horrible foreboding that my dream 60fps/quickload reissue might censor the glorious BLAHD, the way DS2 is piddling next to DS1's gorgeously satisfying eruptions of claret. I'd be doomed to stick with OG, or mod TEH ROMZ, in that case. Lovely, lovely ultraviolence, wedded to classic Shinobi/ZOE2 dash n' gash. Image The way enemy throats and bellies EXPLODE under a perfect glancing hit, mwah! Look cunts I'm not a sadist. I want a good clean fight! With an appalling aftermath, is all. :cool:

Discovered the joys of the Hunter Axe this time around. While it lacks the Saw's ever-ready left/right combo, my goodness is that Zweihand L2 useful as a motherfucker :shock: Scythes through crowds with buttery ease. The Zweihand charged R2 is no fuckin joke either, if OFC a bigger commitment, and the pancaking Einhand charged R2 is wickedly practical. I still got the Threaded Cane to master too! :o

That stagger game is br00tal too. I'm used to quickstepping to back/flank before launching the Saw's combo, not rolling straight up and decking motherfuckers with QS'd 1H/R1, 1H/R2, *KZZZH* TRANSFORM LIEK VOLTRON then 2H/R2, with even strong enemies hard-pressed to respond. OFC stamina's a concern, but when are you not thinking a couple steps ahead in these games? That is if u plan 2 avoid getting FUCC OFC!

CONSECUTIVE BLOWS TO THE HEAD NECK AND FACE (`w´メ)
Spoiler

This is something I was reminded of on my last, fleeting BB revisit. You don't have the sheer breadth of DS1, where you can truly be a lumbering tank crushing all in his path under monstrous super-armoured force, or a wispy mage who'll die to a couple good hits, but can launch biblical hellstorm and murderous cataclysm at decadent range, or a throat-slitting ninja geared for tearing into backs and necks in a hurricane of gore. Or any number of more interstitial knight/cleric/samurai types. In BB, everyone, no matter their gear, is ultimately some variant of a Ninja With A Gun. You can mix it up a bit with the tantalisingly under-explored BEASTCLAW and MILKWEED modes (BB2 PLS DEVELOP THIS OK ;3 ;3 ;3), but it's just not the same breadth.

HOWEVER, the distinction between weapons is something else. If you've mastered one DS1 rapier or halberd, you're pretty good for the rest. You can spend forever with one basic BB weapon and have absolutely fuck-all idea how to use the other two. There aren't really "types" beyond quick/slow and light/heavy, there's a whole kaleidoscope of variances beyond that.

All this to say that, as thoroughly as I enjoyed DS1 and DS2 (I need to do a proper travelogue of the latter... yo, I thought Frigid Outskirts was fuckin rad tbh >_> ME AND MUH CREW rollin out across teh icy wastes! REAL EMOTIONS N FEELS when everyone survived 2 the very end versus BIGCAT (BLACK VER) (TIMES 2) :shock: Ahem, yes, was I was saying, even with all that, holy fuck I still love BB, I'd forgotten quite how much.

To good HOONTing, gentlemen. Image

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Blinge wrote:Been doing, and streaming, a Fat + spear build run of DS1

Streaming? NANI??! Sounds fun.
https://www.twitch.tv/blinge_sadface

Still some VODs up, but i'll be grabbing them and making a highleet reel in a few weeks time!
hahah. " get away from me skinny girl, i'm tryinna get to your fat mate "

(btw script written and recording done for an Eternal Ring vid.. just need to put it together)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Only Based Birru could conclude that HorsefuckValley is alright hahahah.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about, or if you felt a design throughline between the Soulsgames from 1 onwards.

so here's what I mean.. the "rival fight"/ high action sword battle with a small-mid armour dude.. existed as a kind of
Spoiler
final boss omg badass moment
in DeS..

Really comes into its own with Artorias..
.. I feel they then took the Artorias concept and really rammed it home, tried to develop it in DS2, to varied effect.
They then kinda fuckin' nailed it in the Ds2 DLCs, and I believe.. brought this design throughline into a LOT of the boss battles of DS3. To the point where the action (and what is asked of the player) has ramped up significantly compared to relying on RPG elements to get you through.

I'm just not sure how BB fits in.

also, i'm sure you could chart a similar course with the 'double fight' O&S kinda thing..