From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Stevens »

Almost cleared the 2nd gauntlet - made it to Inner Isshin. He isn't really that much harder than Sword Saint, he has one move in particular I need to learn how to deal with.

Gauntlets are fun, but I think they are best in small doses.

Sekiro's combat is tits.
My lord, I have come for you.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I'm still grinding away in ER myself, really taking my time and trying to do everything possible. Like 120 hours in and still a ways from beating it. Enjoying it a lot, but the qualms are still ever there. Dungeons are optional of course, but getting really tired of them basically being the same, just more annoying.
Spoiler
Imps around the corner or on the ceiling, got it. Find the lever, which seems to be increasingly more hidden or behind tough enemies, then straight into the fog to fight the same boss again, but in twos or threes.
I got to Mountain of the Giants the other night. Was nice to have a few new enemies at the beginning, but then I had to point out the odd selection near the frozen river, which just came off like a copy and paste 'best of previous sections' job:
Spoiler
Demihumans... again. Bats. A fire giant. Skeletons. And the fucking Mariner again, lol. Not really What I'd expect from a snowy setting.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

Muh ruse is exposed :shock: Ok look, I'm RLY sorry, but I needed the GINGERMAN card to complement my MUTTMAN card :oops: That's TWO TIMES THE POC :o Now I am unstoppable at internet dance battle! You can't criticise me or you'll be RACISM :cool:

Man, a Miyazaki with a boss rush sounds great. One of my few beefs with BB and DS1 is the impossibility of practicing bosses, and by that I mean learning to no-heal 'em. Other than keeping a stack of copied saves, which is awkward. Or repeatedly throwing the fight, like I'm doing right now with 4 KANGZ :cool: FUUUUUUCK ME I LOVE EM OwO Zero G SPACE BATTLE! ENEMY READYING PHOTON BLAST! ENEMY TO STARBOARD! Its just like MUH JAPANESE ANIMES (and ZOE2)

~My Best Kozmo Takedown: Day At The Beach From Hell~ :cool: I wish I could revisit my sad friend ENNEHTYME, you know?

Anyhoo, minor as usual with these two beauties. DS1 Loop 2 is fuckin excellent, enemies are toughened up juuuust right. Not 2 Hard / Not 2 Soft. I'm bulking up END to obscene levels, HAYABIRUFORD lugging brutally beefy gear while rolling around @ teh speed of sound. Though I mostly guard.

DEADLIEST VG FOREST SINCE DOUBLE DARGON

Well anyway lads, imma fuck off and finish this loop, you wouldn't believe how I went WOOHOOOOO and BRUH, THATS FUKKEN SHAWEEEEEEEET when I discovered A Certain New Locale yesterday! MAGICARU. Pls dun ban my BURINJU account, remember, I IDENITIFY as Gingerman you hear? :evil:
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Nothing gets the UK's collective blood boiling like a mixed race ginger falsificare
this is the product of our research
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Burinju i swear on me fookin nan m8 when the rozzers showed up at me flat I done em just like this (`w´メ)

lend me a monkey thru me letterbox m8 i got 2 skip winkehtowne b4 these dead cunts begin 2 pong (`w´メ)

You weren't kidding about this being an even bigger toybox than BB. :mrgreen: New favourite thing is Hornet Ring plus Silver Tracer and Eagle Shield, holy cow now that's a problem solver VS tough yet scrabbly COONTS like Seath's crystal SOULJAHs and Oolacites.

Wish the XTRA Mad Woodz Bros would respawn with the usual four stanbys. Gentlemen start your USB drives I guess! Next loop laddies.

I thought the autobackstab was a little tame at first, being used to BB's epic charge-shot conquests for the booty. Made total sense further in, though. DS1's instant attack is tailored to its relatively deliberate movement, and generally more calculating, defense-oriented pace. More about spotting openings than ripping them into existence. Conversely, BB's charge delay balances out the explosive Quickstep that can put you at a target's back in a split-second. Swap each game's backstabs, and DS1 would be frustrating, BB way too easy. Some thoughtful design in these games.

To add a little to Sumez's very helpful guidance, from a month or so back:

1) Your shield must be down, as Sumez said. I still find this surprisingly easy to forget, haha.

2) I think you have to be in "contact range," that is, flush to the target. Merely being close won't work. In active battles, I have consistent luck running smack into the target before hitting R1.

Touchin butt to bust that nut (`w´メ)
Spoiler

Holding forward on the stick while hitting R1 seems to work fine (peep muh feets ;3)

Spoiler

Spoiler

On stealth kills, hitting R1 the instant they begin to turn around will snap teh stab on ERREH TYME.

3) It feels like the backstab context area is a fairly wide cone projecting from the enemy's back; ie, hitting them from off-center, even diagonally, can frequently work.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Spot on with the backstab stuff mate.

Things I do intuitively now but have never put into words
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

aha i wonder if a repeat viewing of the jumping R2 club is in order now you know the areas :wink: :wink:

Also time to start spamming BIL with dark souls video classics.

https://youtu.be/2K1NZPWau_I
MANLY MINER MEN
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

BIL, it's interesting to see you react so positively to the post-Lordvessel parts of Dark Souls. That DS1 slackens a bit once you start breaching the gold fog walls has always been one of its most commonly-voiced criticisms. I think it's always been an overblown one, though - Tomb of the Giants and Duke's Archives are two of the game's most memorable areas, and New Londo Ruins, though not a pinnacle, is a solid stage. (Lost Izalith is certainly the game's nadir though.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:aha i wonder if a repeat viewing of the jumping R2 club is in order now you know the areas :wink: :wink:

Also time to start spamming BIL with dark souls video classics.

https://youtu.be/2K1NZPWau_I
MANLY MINER MEN
No lie, as soon as I got the Occult Club and noticed the autojump on R2 I went "Fuuuck I geddit" :lol: Not quite at the point of stripping off just yet though, I'm shy :oops: :mrgreen:

YUH KNOW MI SEXEH AN TING He wouldn't have lasted five minutes in Yharnam, the mincing twat. Image (killer VA though :cool:)

Now that's more fookin like it. ALL IN NINJA Image So long Artie, it was a spirited HOONT and your m8s gifted me lots of badass gear ;-;7
Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:BIL, it's interesting to see you react so positively to the post-Lordvessel parts of Dark Souls. That DS1 slackens a bit once you start breaching the gold fog walls has always been one of its most commonly-voiced criticisms. I think it's always been an overblown one, though - Tomb of the Giants and Duke's Archives are two of the game's most memorable areas, and New Londo Ruins, though not a pinnacle, is a solid stage. (Lost Izalith is certainly the game's nadir though.)
That definitely is fascinating to hear - I'd honestly never have guessed. :o I loved the slate of areas on offer, particularly coming in from Bloodborne, whose proportions feel comparatively KCET Silent Hill-esque. BB's a smaller world (a misty town and its nightmare othersides, even), trading sheer scale for sumptuously lived-in detail, each cobblestone and spiderweb placed with painterly care. (this feeds seamlessly into BB's tighter focus on do/die carnage, every step haunted by baying hordes and their monstrous betters)

Lordran feels more like a gargantuan Faxanadu/Dragon Slayer IV/Battle of Olympus epic ARPG world, seamlessly transposed into soaring post-OOT/DMC 3D. Truly massive, yet just as calculated. imo, it's one of action/adventure gaming's great achievements in combined quantity and quality.

I found even Lost Izalith merely unimpressive, rather than deleterious. The lava bits, with Dull Orange ring equipped... just daft. Reminded me of the poison lakes in BB's Nightmare Frontier - in stark contrast to their games' surrounding 99%, not places I ever want to revisit on subsequent loops.

Same for Beddy; disappointing but far from fatal. I was thinking yesterday - rather than the big, pointless slippy-slide into an overly punishing puzzle boss (at least make me do the whole thing in one go...), how about this: a long, generously ruined grand stairway downward, the Witch lobbing semi-accurate but dangerous mortars and loosing hordes of demons, more fiends springing up from the shattered marble underfoot. Same "pierce the defensive line" concept, sans the annoying trial/error puzzlebox.

Still had a blast with quite a few of its sub-areas - the Victreebel-infested basement you fall into is fun, as is the little plaza skirmish with that Izalith wizard and Kruel Kurt. (actually, I wonder if that was another Daughter of Chaos). Here's Kurt dying of fall damage while I plunge off a balcony battling the shrouded assailant. :mrgreen:

Oof, typing on fumes and going cross-eyed. So much to say and clip/GIF about those post-Lordvessel areas! Suffice to say, I thought it was a standing ovation-worthy performance from Miyazaki and co, and I'm still ferreting out new things regularly, some small, some rather pivotal (just found Guts' crossbow, the intriguingly-named Aveleyn - BB has an Evelyn, a much-beloved pistol). I'm gonna hang around Lordran another week or so, pardon if I'm scarce hereabouts, loving the blind play. :cool:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Man I loooove the 'Marvellous Chester'

The hint of something new, an early whiff of Yharnam. Great stuff.
I still wanna play a chester/BB cosplay build in ds1
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Cleared the severance gauntlet, just one more left.

Of course I have to get the only ending I haven't gotten to play it..
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Man, I have some mixed feelings on ER. There's a video on the net called "Shattered Masterpiece" where it says it's great, and it kinda sucks too.

I would say some of it sucks. I have the most problems with this game, of the Miyazaki era games (not counting Dark Souls II). I think the world is beautifully designed. Very interesting
to explore and traverse. I like it a lot. Horse travel is fun, as well.
The Legacy Dungeons are very good to great. And big. The underground is very interesting, and I would almost count it as some kind of "minor dungeon", but there's like a few of them. It's
an interesting joint.
The castles aren't bad. I would say the best one is Redmane. Nothing crazy, but a nice little castle (I'm not comparing it to stuff like Stormvale).
Forts, ruins... all the same, but they don't really bother me much. I wouldn't expect much different, and they're so light, it's hard to complain about them much.

You know what I'm gonna complain about. Catacombs and Caves. Oh man... They are not the end of the world, but they are mediocre, at the best. Good thing, they are short and to the point.
Bad thing, they are numerous. I'm still puzzled why From couldn't have made any of the catacombs look different. They're all grey. The caves can vary a bit, and I like them better (they aren't
great though). With the numerous catacombs/caves comes reused bosses. I mean, how else can they have that many unique bosses? Well, they can't. I think they looked
at Breath of the Wild's shrines, and thought they would do something like that. I fucking hated those shrines. This is better, but it's filler. There's really no other way to describe them. It's like
the Chalice Dungeons, but woven into the main game. So, exploring the awesome world is hurt by this, because this is what you're usually going to be finding. At least you get upgrade items and stuff, I guess.

I dunno what to think, overall. I'm on my second playthrough, and I'm not doing almost any caves or dungeons. If I need some upgrade materials, I will. They just went so big with this game. It really didn't need to be. They could chop this down by about 35 percent, and have a stronger game. And people will say "you aren't supposed to do all the catacombs/caves". Yes, but you are supposed to explore the world, and this is what you're going to find most of the time.

Mixed feelings. I'm also unhappy with how the stronger armor looks. My guy is buffed out enough to wear heavy armor, and I just end up wearing Radahn's outfit all the time. Which I'm not that
fond of. I don't really like the Tree Sentinel's outfit either. There are good looking lighter suits, but I want some protection. The heaviest suits are From's usual joke shit, where you look like some fat ass, or Porky Pig with some kind of skin disease.

I have like 200 hours into it. There should just be less of it. That being said, if the DLC adds another Legacy Dungeon, I will definitely be into that.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Chalice dungeons, but worse.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
I dunno what to think, overall. I'm on my second playthrough, and I'm not doing almost any caves or dungeons. If I need some upgrade materials, I will. They just went so big with this game. It really didn't need to be. They could chop this down by about 35 percent, and have a stronger game. And people will say "you aren't supposed to do all the catacombs/caves". Yes, but you are supposed to explore the world, and this is what you're going to find most of the time.
You landed about where I did with this. I'm glad I played it but it could have been so much more if it was so much less. Unlike Sekiro and Bloodborne which I am usually playing a few times a year I don't think I'll ever touch ER again.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I hope the success of ER doesn't indicate the future of their Souls-like stuff. Not necessarily the open world, but this game has so much stuff that isn't necessarily more difficult that previous games, but just annoying and tedious. Especially late game. It just becomes an unfun slog. A lot of the design in this kinda contradicts their "overcoming hardships", where you actively learn and become better. I wish I had a tally for how many times you either get smacked around a corner or dropped on by an enemy to have your health evaporated. The silly every-other-enemy holding their weapon for an absurd amount of time to make it more "difficult". Then the blah blah long combos and AOE bosses ad nauseum. Your expectation never changes; everything feels the same. I beat a boss and it never feels good, just a relief that it's over. The amount of people just running through the end game just to finish it should be telling enough. It's just miserable and obnoxious and the same enemies you've seen over and over, just with damage output x3 and super spongey.

When the average person hears "From", they aren't immediately thinking great combat, narrative, level design--it's just "they're hard". Miyazaki even says now that's what they're known by. I just hope they don't go overboard and feel like they have to constantly live up to that standard. Hard is fine, tedium isn't.

I also find it hard to believe that the new
Spoiler
Malenia buff wasn't an accident. Now she just heals based on frames, not on her actually landing a hit on you. She was sitting on the ground the other night in my game and just absorbing insane pools of health, lol. Just seems odd a guy makes waves for soloing her for people, then she magically gets this 'accidental' buff. Hmmm.
I dunno, just really bums me out how much of this game I love, and how much of it I despise.
Steamflogger Boss

Japanese PS3 stuff arrived today and this Dark Souls release is completely badass. Soundtrack (28 tracks!) and a map of the opening area. Gonna frame that shit.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I want to get into Elden Ring pretty badly as the 'hot new thing.' I think my pc can run it with a 1660ti and 16gb of ram... Granted I never played Dark Souls for more than an hour or two.
drauch

Post by drauch »

^I know a guy who has a pretty mediocre card that's managing, so I think you'll be all right. Honestly, it's hard to tell, as the game has tons of frame drops in the most random locations. It's not unbearable, just annoying. They've fixed some of it, but it's still pretty ridiculous, and you'll get it regardless of having a potato or a god tier machine.
Austin

Post by Austin »

EmperorIng wrote:I want to get into Elden Ring pretty badly as the 'hot new thing.' I think my pc can run it with a 1660ti and 16gb of ram... Granted I never played Dark Souls for more than an hour or two.
What CPU are you using? Depending on what that is you will probably be fine. Start with 1080p, Medium settings, turn off some of the extra superfluous stuff and you might actually be good to go. Raise up the detail settings from there if it runs great as-is. Lower further if it's not so great.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Don't think this was brought up yet, so I apologize if it has. Anyone checked this out yet? I'm going to go ahead and pick it up myself. Came up in my recs yesterday:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1745510/Lunacid/
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've always loved the atmosphere of the first person games, so I'm very interested to hear if this one's worthwhile.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh yeah. It's good. 30 seconds in and I was already in love. They really nailed the aesthetic, theme, combat--hell, all of it. Feels like a lost KF.

Only a bit in, but only complaint is character portraits aren't very fitting. But! In a nice addition, you can upload your own. This doesn't matter at all, just worth a mention.

First enemy is a snail, so you know you're at home.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Not From per se, but I feel there are some here that if they're not already aware will be into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3Opf27zto

Looks a bit like that Bloodborne game..
Steamflogger Boss

ryu

Post by ryu »

A bit late but I just started Elden Ring. As expected I'm not exactly overwhelmed but it's fun.

I managed to miss the torch. Trying to explore caves without a light source was sort of fun but I quickly hit a point where it didn't seem like the best idea.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Just beat the final boss of Elden Ring. Still have a dungeon and 2 bosses left so I'm holding off on my general review for now.

But I have to say that final boss has to be the most frustrating boss in any Fromsoft game I've played. Maybe my build and playstyle were the problem, but especially late game bosses were unplayable without abusing summons and/or spirit ashes. Fast animations chained in combos that leave little openings. The best I could do was get a poke in every now and then against massive damage sponges. No idea how I should have done these solo without going insane. Only my weapon art did good damage against these bosses, but performing it without getting interrupted or nearly killed was almost always a matter of luck.

The last boss took me 2 1/2 hours and the last attempt only worked out for me because of sheer luck. The ash did a decent job and I was lucky with the skills the boss used in phase 2.

Sekirou was more difficult but a lot more fun.

Was using Malekith's Blade at 40/40 str/fth btw
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steamflogger Boss

ryu wrote:Just beat the final boss of Elden Ring. Still have a dungeon and 2 bosses left so I'm holding off on my general review for now.

But I have to say that final boss has to be the most frustrating boss in any Fromsoft game I've played. Maybe my build and playstyle were the problem, but especially late game bosses were unplayable without abusing summons and/or spirit ashes. Fast animations chained in combos that leave little openings. The best I could do was get a poke in every now and then against massive damage sponges. No idea how I should have done these solo without going insane. Only my weapon art did good damage against these bosses, but performing it without getting interrupted or nearly killed was almost always a matter of luck.

The last boss took me 2 1/2 hours and the last attempt only worked out for me because of sheer luck. The ash did a decent job and I was lucky with the skills the boss used in phase 2.

Sekirou was more difficult but a lot more fun.

Was using Malekith's Blade at 40/40 str/fth btw
It definitely feels like the back...third or so of the game was balanced around using spirit ashes. My first run I did end up using them. I subsequently finished a run without them but it's a real pain.

Your frustration with the final boss probably does stem a bit from your build. It's highly faith resistant.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I found the final boss in Elden Ring to be a generally (surprisingly) poorly designed fight, in the sense that it's just not very fun or satisfying to fight. Its size and movements makes visibility a non-existant factor. Especially if you're planning on doing melee damage to it.
It's a fairly easy fight given you're leveling like normal and not doing any crazy challenge runs, so can afford to tank a little bit of damage, and I believe some of the worst issues with it have been patched since I played the game. But it's still not very good.
bcass

Post by bcass »

The main annoyance with Elden Beast is that it constantly runs away. Although Radagon and Elden Beast are highly resistant to FTH attacks, the best build for annihilating them is a FTH build. Use Blasphemous Blade L2 attack for Radagon and Pest Threads for Elden Beast. Make sure you have 99 FTH with the following talismans equipped: Fire Scorpion Charm, Faithful's Canvas Talisman, Shard of Alexander, Ritual Sword Talisman. For Physick flask: Flame-Shrouded Cracked Tear and Opaline Bubbletear. Radagon will be dead in around 4 hits with this build.