From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Stevens »

I love what you can try to figure out based on the npc Hunter sets.

Why is a member of the healing church attacking you in Byrgenworth?

Why does every hunter wear matched sets except the Bloody Crow..and you?

I do love the Crow. Possibly the most interesting character in the entire game cause we know almost nothing about him/her. Has ties to Cainhurst, Eileen, and uses hunter tools.

Probably never know more than that, but fun to speculate.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ah nice, that reminds me I can hit Cainhurst before Rom too. :o I got the Red Moon pretty early in OG, to be honest I was dying to find out what lurked in Bergy. Surprising how much you can elect to do beforehand... it's really just Yarghy mkII and Mensis that remain locked post-Ammy, pre-Rom.

I notice the Pick's charge combo stuns on both hits (obscene damage on backstabs, can nail 'em with both, then follow up with V-ATK) - and also, it seems worth deliberately whiffing the overhead, setting up great misfortune for would-be capitalisers. :cool:

Spoiler

^^^ poppin all that good shit, kicked in yo chest, etc etc :mrgreen:
Last edited by BIL on Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

holy shit :lol: :lol:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Illegal slapshot killed the poor mahfucka before he hit the ground Image His homie is lucky this thing's only at +6, I woulda got sent off the ice but he'd be on it in the morgue with his bro Image

Hard Work Life: ASHITA no SNIPER JOE ch.1 How It Started
Spoiler

ch.final How It's GoingImage
Spoiler

OMAKE01: I WAS A GREEN BERET IN VIETYHAM :shock:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:Illegal slapshot killed the poor mahfucka before he hit the ground
Calling for blade measurement, definitely an illegal curve.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

DOUBLE POST

This may have already made the rounds through here, but if not:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/ ... obilebasic

The Paleblood Hunt, a must read for any fan of Bloodborne.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ah yes, I've seen this before.
Half of it is alright, the other half i legitimately hate.

He is reaching, some of it has no textual basis whatsoever.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Enjoyed the Best ROMhack Ever over the weekend. Image

Will enjoy checking that out after NG++, cheers Stevens! I'm going for the wiener ending this time around, having a pretty good idea of how to finally bag that handsy creep Moon Prez next loop. Planning to enjoy reading up on theories/lore/nerdfights after I've seen all three endings. I keep coming across swathes of stuff - items, unique interactions, even whole areas - I've not seen, even after almost a month of nightly excursions. Spent the weekend knocking over the bosses from Rom to Innsmouth, gonna try taking down Kozmo tonight before starting NG++. Ah jeeze, and Larry too.

Pathos in the weirdest places. Especially striking, as I was cursing a fucking blue streak just prior to that clip :lol: Had forgotten how fucking dangerous Bloodsuckers are in packs - the courtyard's also an easy place to get hemmed in, if you commit the cardinal sin of losing spatial awareness. Lots of trees, rocks and busted (HAW) statues to get pinned against. Having missed Cainhurst until very late in OG, I'd come to think of Bloodsuckers as more native to Hunter's Nightmare, where they are memorably feasting on the River Of Blood. Visiting the Forsaken Castle much earlier recalibrated this. So cool how they come scrambling up out of the ravine like weevils.

Fuck those snakes that later set up shop in Silverbeast's guts, though. Perhaps the only BB enemy that's boring to kill, just a job of work. The Yharny Shadows' DESPERATION SNAKE otoh is a showstopper - hadn't seen them bust it out in OG. Made me say HOREH SHIET, just when I'd begun toying with the last of Queenie's bodyguard.

Spent most of the time experimenting with Pick, Rakuyo and Saif, in my favourite sparring grounds of Hunter's Nightmare and Research Hall. The latter is a surprisingly excellent combat venue - lots of varied, dangerous battling packed into its Quakey warrens. It hit me finally - the patients aren't meant to be a sickly horde, reliant on numbers. What they are is Berserk.

God Flesh = Cosmic Bath Salts Image
Spoiler

Now GET OFFA ME STAIRS YA CUNT :O

Trick Pick's charge attack is amazing VS massive enemies who like to throw their weight around, like Bloodsuckers and Nightmare Executioners, as well as heavy hitters with long windups, like whip-wielding Hunters. Outside of fishing expeditions - they can work, but there'll be hell to pay on whiffs - aggressive quickstepping is key to bringing metal murder down on their heads (as ever in BB, attacks are invitations). Can't recall ever seeing the former two enemies flinch before, while whittling 'em with Straight Saw R1. I gotta beware freakishly tough foes like Ivy-kun, though; he no-sells and trades even the almighty slapshot, wielding his I.V. stand like a hellish cudgel - though, like all frenzied slashers, he's woefully parry-prone... and tough or not, V-ATK will send him to the ground, where a followup full-blast Trick R2 will leave his shit in ruins. Big Sharky's another who needs a thorough tenderising before a sledging can be attempted.

Beating on motherfuckers like they're chomos in prison, naw mean. Image Check out Nexecutioner getting hit in the nuts, didn't know you still had sensation homie :shock: Image It can even do well VS multiple targets, though keeping momentum is appropriately demanding, and losing it likewise punishing. R1's rangey overhead and R2's crowd-reaving sideswipe work great with aggressive footwork. L2's quicker swipe is a surprisingly effective shutdown vs small, fast targets, who'll tend to be staggered despite its relatively light impact. Most important is probably knowing when to fold it up and go straight, which'll get you your gun back too.

OMFG DATS GOTTA HOIT :O
Spoiler

Straight Pick is a surprisingly fast, vicious striker. R1 for a rangy stab that segues into transform swipe, R2 for the same with a little more oomph. Rapid R1 for a relentless yet wide-ranged thrashing (I love the third hit's backstab, owch). I could see myself sticking with this weapon for a full run, ala Bonesaw, but I've been enjoying seeing what else is on offer. Sparred with Crowy a bit, discovering his fondness for repaying Straightsaw R1 chains with a faceful of buckshot - very likely followed by fatal V-ATK (I wouldn't have dared to combo him in OG). Rakuyo is an excellent counter, it seems; those big, painterly R1 Straights tangle him up consistently. Was enjoying myself so much that, unlike in OG, where a failed coup de grace saw me hanging back until his karmic blood-doping end, this time I'd repeatedly let him recover from the brink, only for him to finally die the same way. :lol:

Aw naw, feelin that ASOIAF comin' on again >_< ;3 ;3 ;3
Jaime Lannister wrote:The Smiling Knight was a madman, cruelty and chivalry all jumbled up together, but he did not know the meaning of fear. The outlaw's longsword had so many notches by the end that Ser Arthur had stopped to let him fetch a new one. "It's that white sword of yours I want," the robber knight told him as they resumed, though he was bleeding from a dozen wounds by then. "Then you shall have it, ser," the Sword of the Morning replied, and made an end of it.
...except in this telling, the fiend died of methamphetamine abuse :sad: STAY CLEAN Image

Straight R1's dagger to the throat on the second hit is hideously satisfying, and effective too - fitting for a weapon with an atrocious history. TL2's blender is surprisingly effective VS two or three enemies, on the proviso I use it to go from A to B. It devours stamina, even with 75% of my Runes buffing, so a couple spins is about all I get before payment is due.

Saif, I'd thought might be a replacement for Saw's Straight R1... but the latter just keeps getting better, it seems. Burinju that was a fuckin hot tip you relayed from Squire, RE using the gun to cap off an otherwise impossibly rude combo. Image Beast Roar works great too, assuming the target's not poised enough to withstand. Hostile Hunters RIP. Straight Saif does have some pretty nice crowd reap options though, on R1 and R2, respectively. Satisfying weapon, with its cruel talon shape and haymaking reaps.

Weird thing... wanted to see if I could alert Nunny-chan before her Black Church comrade joined in... when I fired a shot, Nunny and me got it on FACE TA FACE :shock: but homegirl never joined in.
WTF I WANTED YA BOTH
Image Dunno if it was a glitch or something consistent. Either way, get in close unless u want 2 feel like a bitch 4REVER 3;

Speaking of edging Crowy, I think a lot of BB's fearsome reputation comes down to the lack of easy boss practice...

...what am I saying. As if noobs would practice anything. I've seen varmints crying over shit I couldn't believe. But yeah. I dig the gravity, but I'm considering making a few backups at choice junctures, where there's like five tough bosses on the table. I would say most non-Chalice bosses outside of Kosmo, who I've not reached yet in NG+, I can reliably get down to the >25%HP, covering the remainder with heals, Marrows, and a bit of roly-poly. This time around, I've tried to really learn them, with a soft limit of five heals, and less resorting to sniping/Marrow once the end looms.

Ebby-chan does not get why this jackass keeps dying with fifteen vials stocked 3;
Spoiler

ie Beastwig - formerly a blur of claws, teeth and hooves, with a couple hard counters in "BELLYFLOP = QUICKSTEP LEFT" and "FROG SPLASH = DO THE WORM CLOCKWISE" - down to a reliable, intelligible process; enjoying the competition, rather than hanging on by my fingernails. Quickstepping into his swipes to get at his underbelly, Parl-style; making broad sidesteps at the distinctly tormented bellow preceding the juggernaut trample; booking it to his head when he gets his tits out, etc etc - but I was still a little shaky on his Hunter mode. Killed him by accident with a random V-ATK to his nuts, was left with many mysteries. Still, this sojourn is ongoing. :cool:

Liked seeing the fight's unique postscript for Church gear (in OG, I was Full Yarghy from post-Marv until Kos slapped the shit outta me, and I needed a bit more PHYS DEF - also, Executioner Hoodie is some cash gear! :shock: looks warm and comfy as fuuuck :o until it's soaked black with claret ofc, kinda Neo-Yarghy then). Lied to the poor old chap and let him snooze, everybody got it bad in this HPL business. Image

On the same note, I'm tempted to say Maria's a marginally easier Crow. Her third phase has bigger, more spatially dominating attacks, but I can deal with those fine, and they leave her much more open to gunfire; what she lacks is Crowy's viciously fast, accurate R1 shutdowns, that I could swear he can execute straight out of knockback (could easily be wrong on that - either way, I know not to go for more than a couple consecutives before breaking off). Great duels both, regardless.

Funny thing happened vs Logarius - again limiting healing, I finally realised the towers are there to block his Spectral Swords (feeling my Nelo Angelo DMD PTSD raring up, just typing that). I also twigged that Phase 1's homing grenade isn't to be hid from, but hustled past to score damage. When I went to put it all together, though, he didn't seem to enter Phase 2 at all.

Maybe it's because I wrecked his chair. >_> FUCK YO COUCH GARY Ah well! TBH it may be that in all the excitement, I missed the transform and he simply didn't use Swords.

YES VERY CLEVER ALFY :/ but I liked it better when we would discuss history and morality 3; I lied to your boss and told him u were a good lad, you FOOKIN MENTALIST Image

Similarly, I belatedly noticed that not only is the Failures' magnificent COSMO DRESDEN a one-way barrage - I'd assumed it was an AOE tornado - but the Giant Lumenwood will actually provide cover. Pretty comfy. Was testing out the Loch Shield you're awarded for exploring the Research Hall, turned out not to need it. Not that Failures are even in the same orbit as Luddy, let alone Kozmo, I just love the scene and its awesomely discomforting centrepiece attack. Loch might be a handy sidearm versus That Bitch Mickle and his Call Beyond In A Tiny Room trick.

Speaking of BIG LOOMIE, the way it moves around struck me as a bit Colour Out Of Space; specifically, HPL's pricelessly eerie description of trees swaying back and forth in a dead calm. I love this area's balance of horror, pathos and uneasy tranquility.

Fought Capn' Dingdong fair this time Burinju, and by that I mean I let him chug down the lead paint with abandon. Image Dumb bastard shoulda read the item description, that shit causes brain damage Image Albeit not as much as the truckload of steel I brought down on his skull shortly after.

Lanny Assassinator Technique still working a treat, even with those two lurking under Innsmouth. TBH it's that asshole shaman camping at the end of a long tunnel I worry about, but Loch Shield cuts through his BS nicely. My Sharkyboi technique has gotten dreadfully rusty unfortunately, consistently not dying at least.

For one of the maddest lads in all of BB (rivalling even Kozmo he very self), Ivan-kun sure knows how to descend a ladder with worldly elan. The return to civility seems to have short-circuited his ruefully maimed COMBAT BONCE after, though. I was confused too, I thought only Werewolves knew how to use ladders :shock:

Does Reborn remind anyone else of Kozmo, a bit? In terms of his general shape (the "man at the top of the pile," not so much his hideous throne), as well as his introduction. Bit early for me to don me lore hat, but I was thinking some hideous parody, not the genuine article. God dammit I had a cracking freeze-frame of me demolishing his rotten nutsack with Trick Pick, will have to give it another go in NG++.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuckin Kozmo. Scary! Wasn't looking forward to whatever NG+ juicing he'd undergone. Got him in two this time, after a bruising refresher course on Phase 1 timing, and a Phase 2 pulverising with brine and brain matter flung skyward.

Next attempt, P1 was a cinch once again. Rakuyo's charge shot is really good at catching exposed backs, eg after slipping his leaping overhead. P2 remains a primal terror I wish I could practice, time to get a PS4-compliant USB stick. He used his vault like six times in a row... I still don't know any better than to break lock and roll under him, as with other divekickers like Maria, resuming lock when he lands. So my heart was in my mouth the whole time. Then he phoned mom with like 10% HP left, and I was all "imma jump on this motherfucker and bite his fuckin neck until they knock me out." The BEASTPILL did for him (two can play at the blood doping game Image), with only a mild fricasseeing on my part. Phew.

Given the ROM double KO fiasco above, it wouldn't terribly surprise me if this approach could see you electrocuted post-win. It also wouldn't surprise me if - unlike there - you were denied the kill. :lol:

Dagnabbit, I didn't even get the replay for research purposes, had whacked it down to 30sec capture. Ah well. Still figuring out shit in DMC1, it'll come to me eventually.

Apparently, Kozmo's designation in the game data is "LastBoss." His second phase is "LastBossArousal." Image I was wondering where TF all these shaweet non-boss enemy names are from. Seems it's just Future's guide? Hm. As with the cruelly absent save/load and pause features, I kinda like lack of in-game bestiary. Keeps things uneasy. Mensis Spiders are called "Nightmare Apostles" in the guide, but I prefer the data's "DISCIPLE_OF_DEATH_AND_DARKNESS" Image

And then I wanted to comb over Cainhurst and Workshop, and HOREH SHIET :shock:

Spoiler

Oh wow ;-; so i was wrong about that third cord eh. I'm delighted. ;-;

Spoiler

What, Dolly-chan?! This is how I feel... inside! Image
Marc

Post by Marc »

Thought I was all FROM'd out. Picked up Demons Souls on PS5. Goodby life.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

WARNING: Kanashimi no I.E.D. Image
Spoiler

Arrived in BB Loop 4 (or NG+++/NG3) last night. Planning to clear out the full seven loops, at least. Probably more - as Austin said, BB's an immortally satisfying game to mow through, and I like checking out new weapons and gear. Haven't enjoyed an ARPG toybox this much since SOTN, only here the signal/noise ratio is way cleaner (and it has bitterly intense Hardcore Killing to match, PLUS the super-indulgent AESFETICS). Even tools I don't personally take to are rad to see in lethal action.

I like the upgrade economy - just tight enough that you have to think about what you're taking to +10. Got a slow but steady stream of Blood Rocks coming in, about six per loop (the two found in Nightmares, plus all the extra Madman's Knowledge/Great One's Wisdom of the loops... just gotta be careful around those lousy Brainsucker fucks Image)

Got an unexpected No Damage Gaz, small beans compared to later horrors, but I felt pretty good about it given where I started. Vamoosing outta the gravestones seems a must, zero tactical advantage that I know of (unless you Tiny Music Box him, which is just wrong on multiple levels Image), and easy to get cornered.

Didn't do any Chalicing at all in Loop 3 - think I'm gonna start, as I want some of those Depth 5 blood gems I've heard about, and there's still a handful of infamous bosses I've not seen.

*Vicar Larry is definitely my most feared/hated boss, at this point. I can deal with his first phase just fine - his hits hurt like hell, but he's reasonably baitable, and his two lunges - the big jump, and the diving clothesline - can be rolled and quickstepped through, respectively. The danger is when I'm forced to run past him, risking a wall splattering, but careful timing usually keeps me from the most egregious crushes.

It's that second form, and unfortunately, the narrow room and murderously unhelpful camera, that hold me back. I'm sure there's some way to deal him heavy damage up-close, but for now I've resorted to Bowblading him. Kozmo is merely intense and Gherman/Moon Prez are downright reasonable, but I dread the squealing barfing legless Larry. Work In Progress. 3;

Apropos BB's themes of ghastly evolution, I seem to have grown a phantom claw. In all seriousness, going between conventional grip and RANGER MODE (thumb on Right Stick, index on Circle, middle/ring on R1/R2) has become instinctive. This is nothing unusual to me - PS2 Shinobi, ZOE2, Contra III and Goldeneye 64 all demand Teh Claw - but going between orthodox and clawgrip quite this rapidly is. Pragmatically, I think you should be able to run while moving the camera... as a mortally bitten diehard who'll game until he falls off his chair, I'm like "eh." Vital for negotiating supermassive bosses, handy for sprinting around crowded spaces.

*Loch Shield & Mico: Was messing around on Mico, as his 1HKO Call Beyond kinda perturbed me. LS will reliably chop it to 50%, still brutal but at least gives a chance to heal. However, I also discovered Beast Roar will not only stagger-cancel him out of it, but leave him sprawling on the floor. BWAAAAHAHAHA MICO A BITCH - naw for real, I've never seen a boss enemy BR can flatten, that's usually for Hostile Hunters. It'll do the same for his Augur, too. So that's a deceptively dangerous, annoying twat dealt with, I hope.

You can nail Mico with Bowblade Charge Shots during the pursuit sections, he'll crumple for a sec before jogging on with your arrow through his back/knee/ankle. Owch! Image

*Crikey M8s It's A Fookin Ambush: Ohohooo! I LOVED this ^__^ Image Accepted my buddy Valtr's old job, having CROOSHed many VERMINS. Tried on the MASTER BUCKET, ambled outside to enjoy the night air, and BOOM! TEH HOONTER was now facing TEH HOONT! :shock: Didn't go so well for Madaras The Younger, his downfall captured live on film. I don't blame him for the pratfall - is snakey supposed to be used on pursuers, ala Rope Molotov? Hm. Hilarious either way! Get lost, MADARAS TEH YOUNGER. Image Your tawdry circus tricks have no place on the battlefield! Image And MOST CERTAINLY no use against the heir of KOKUJUUKEN, aka BLACK BEAST FIST, aka Parl Fist Image

Speaking of BB No Ken: *Choir Intelligencer Edgar. What a badass name! And cool design! Has he lost his fookin marbles in this frightful place? Or does he think I'm in league with Mensis? Maybe he thinks I'll blow his cover. Hm.

I was smitten with this seemingly random history prof from Loop 1, when I took him down with a couple of Puncher's Chance V-ATKs. I wish his pricelessly evocative moniker was somewhere in-game, rather than in a dubiously accurate guidebook, though! (Sony-endorsed, and featuring a nice Miyazaki interview, but I feel my NERDFIGHT senses tingling at its canonicity - and I am a Primary Source textualist aside! this is like me ol' Silent Hill days, before they farmed the series out to various screensaver developers in Bumfuckshire, DonkeyBothersville!)

See also YURIE THE LAST SCHOLAR. As Stevens said - what is her deal? Hmm. I would guess keeping you away from Willem, but this game's factions and plots are so labyrinthine, they are entire heaving threads unto themselves. But in this one's context: Also see Yurie, because she's yet another of Parl Fist's countless victims! Look at these jagoffs devising ways to bushwhack poor Yuri! Image Let her chase you outside, then run back into the building and jump in the lake? Holy fuck what is wrong with them :shock:

Reminds me of looking up SOTN discussion, and seeing people devising elaborate cheese techs for Galamoth and Doppy10. I'm sitting here munching Cheetos and CHUCKLING SCORNFULLY all "Do these broke-dick chumps ever KNOW HOW 2 GAME?!" Maybe that is why these games are so feared in the mainstream. >_> Look, the "A" in "ARPG" is not always for show. Levelling up and GRINDAN won't save you from a fatal case of sword-in-bowels, here, any more than it would in DMC or Shinobi or NG Black (GTFO my head, GRRM!). As there, avoiding that is a matter of good footwork and timing. Pile cheese on top of that all you like - say, dashing in close, BlackBeasting the opponent to the floor, blowing your whole bar on an R1 chain they're simply not equipped to escape, then doing it again until they die - but no fundamentals = no game!

*Crowy. Have settled on Straight Pick for this mean SOB. What a great duel, the game's best Hunter X Hunter showdown IMO. Straight Pick's R1 is a neck-seeking missile - the AI seems exceptionally vulnerable to it, particularly if launched diagonally from just within range. The two followups have sweeping range, and they're punctuated by yet another vicious stab. Hostile Hunters, Yharnam Shadows and That Bitch Mico all get torn to ribbons. However, I'm wary of comboing Crow with any weapon, due to that wicked Repeater comeback (get parried at even moderate proximity = V-Attacked into red ruin). Instead, I keep him pinging between the Pick's stabs and Evelyn's shots (straight outta Cainy).

While I let him patch himself up as always (such quality is to be savoured Image), this was my first victory where I took him down, instead of his own Chikage. A lightning-quick exchange, ended with the battered, exhausted loser devoured by their own blood-starved blade? Shades of PS2 Shinobi all over this. Image I need to suss out his stances, maybe get a Chikage of my own. Whichever stance stops him from shooting you in the face with bionic precision - I'm guessing Zweihand, going on Rakuyo - would seem to be the combo vector.

-Speaking of Cainhurst killas, *Marny-chan is definitely the less deadly duellist of the pair. Flashy attacks that'll break you in half if they connect. If. Image What really relegates her is the lack of Repeater, though. Crowy's headshot is rivalled only by Pick Hunter (Pichunter? :oops:), who lacks stamina, cannot withstand KOKUJUUKEN, and is cooped up in that ridiculous room (seriously, getting him out of there is deadlier than facing him down... shame really, it's a cool reveal I'm proud to have seen coming, but a waste in the longterm)

Blimey that was a lot about stab/stomp. Lorewise I am also most pleased, this combination of heavy textual content / minimal stated narrative really does take me back to the early 00s glory days of KCET.

First time around, I was too hyped up in that dreadful pause between Nursey dying and the NIGHTMARE SLAIN. Really thought it was heralding some awful parting shot. Putting the fiend down handily this time, I noticed it's not just a pause. Probably ancient news, but if you've got headphones on, you can hear what sounds like a snoring baby. (recognisable to all who've encountered their own little Mergos. this game busts out feels from the most unexpected angles Image see also Ludwig remembering how to fight like a man, not some unsightly beast ;-;7)

When I saw "Shadow of Yharnam" in the Forbidden Grave battle, I'd interpreted it as "bodyguard of." To "shadow" a VIP, etc. Now I wonder if the meaning was more sinister, menacing, "a shadow hanging over" - what with Queenie right there outside Mergo's lunarium, and the Nurse being what looks like a Jumbo Value Shadow. (I love Nursey's design - a raggedly fluttering robe bearing bouquets of gleaming razor death - but it's undeniably cute in an oldschool VG way... only thing better would've been if a bunch of them formed up like Voltron, or made a human pyramid :mrgreen:)

I wonder if "silencing the newborn's harrowing cry" was a rare bit of BB's mercurial compassion, not the ruthless hitjob I'd interpreted it as. My dad used to silence my harrowing cries by parking my crib in the living room and watching Death Wish 1-3 until I conked out. It works! Then again, Queenie's bowed head when you exit the Lunarium might be gratitude or despair. I lean to the former, the clasped hands are very ladylike in Japanesu, desu. Image What a fiendishly, expertly unknowable bit of fiction attached to this hardcore killing / couture extravaganza. Image

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Excellent write up as always. On NG+4 just passed Father G, but am on holiday for another week. Cleric Beast was sturdier than I remembered, but gas went down with little protest.

I suspect Amelia will as well, but I think the pain is waiting in the hunters nightmare.

What are your stats?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stevens wrote:What are your stats?
Cloudy with a distinct chance of overkill Image :mrgreen:

Spoiler

I spent pretty much all of Loop 1/OG levelling Vitality ("Harder to kill = good right? >_>") and STR ("Hit harder, yeee!"), with Endurance a distant third ("Uh... hit em for longer, yeahhh!"). Bloodtinge, Skill and Arcane were mostly collecting dust until late OG, when I gradually woke up to their utility (in roughly that order).

Currently levelling Skill, since several of my favourite Right Hands - Pick, Saif, Rakuyo and Bowblade - all have nice Bonuses (BBAS, respectively). I hear it buffs up V-ATK too; my general tack involves lots of Hearns-style flicker jabs via Evelyn, going for bloody-nosed trades ending in Blood Reverie + Clawmark-enhanced Viscerals, so the extra oomph is welcome. At this point I'm happy with my damage output, and while guys like Larry can kill me with a couple good shots, and common mobs can quickly bring me down if I'm at all sloppy, neither feels at all undeserved.

Tinge was really just for a bit more Pistol (later Evelyn) chip damage - I've not ventured into the more exotic firearms. I have a pesky poverty mindset with ammo - would love to see what the Gatling Gun can do, but I know I'd be nervously eyeing my Quicksilver stocks. :mrgreen: Currently enjoying the Bowblade a lot, handy for taking a chunk out of heavies at distance, or just picking off Snipers/Dogs (banes of momentum) before moving into the melee.

TBH I only levelled Arcane for a bit more Discovery, and to check out Call Beyond. I hear it gives excellent upper-level returns on magical weapons/tools, but so far I've not really used 'em. (except for my trusty +10 Hunter's Torch, B in Arcane, turns Brainsuckers into calamari)

The R3 Help Popup for HP is, typical of From, a badass bit of prose.

"The power - or the will - to survive." Fuuuck yeah. Image

Speaking of, also been liking Ludwig's intro... I notice a lot of BB characters follow up grave/plaintive statements with half-mad laughter - the Blood Minister at the start, Eileen's various warnings not to indulge, and the anonymous Hunter narrating Beastwig's entrance. "A great terror looms / Ludwig the accursed is coming / Have mercy on us" are functional... but his deeply aghast "An unsightly beast...!" stands out a mile. So elegantly understated. Image On paper I'd instinctively go "Bro, that motherfucker is 'unsightly' like Chernobyl's basement is 'inhospitable,'" but he sounds so utterly appalled, there's no questioning it. Truly shit nobody should have to see, let alone fight. (which makes Knightwig's return all the more stirring Image)

Related, I wonder about the Beast seen in the opening, the one who gets a decisive "no thanks" from the (sleep-paralysed?) player. Noticed in the previous loop, the Surgery Altar doesn't have only a Provost, a Vicar and a Bell-Ringer...

Warooo!
Spoiler

I wonder if the thing seen in the intro is less disposable than it first appears. It resembles the Scourge Beasts found all throughout Yharnam, Loran and Isz... but none of those are ever seen materialising from lakes of blood, or doing anything arcane. They're just hanging about, many in scraps of former human clothing. Nor do they display anything but bestial aggression. The intro Beast's entrance and gesture seem conspicuous. It looks less to me like it's going for an easy meal, or even trying to snuff out a potential threat - more making some kind of overture, palm upraised. Then, well -

https://youtu.be/ry2XlLKctiI?t=191
Spoiler

There's the hideous "chimera beasts" of Yarghy, too. Didn't realise until this last loop, their friggin "tail" is a human leg sticking out of their ass. Image "RITUAL.EXE HAS STOPPED WORKING" was my first thought, but maybe those horrors are simply expressing some kinda archetype/blueprint with whatever is handy (IE a whooole lotta dead people). Berserk's God Hand materialising from swarms of rats, or spilled entrails, etc. I wonder if the clinic's Beast is some kind of forerunner, the thing that resulted from Old Blood hitting human DNA, endlessly expressed as the scourge spreads. Takes notice of the Hunter's Main Character DNA, gets blown away by some innate resistance (not unlike Moon Prez's rudely interrupted embrace), knows to never come slinking around ever again (Moon Prez is a bona fide Great One and moves to stamp out the upstart).

Image Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Holy shit I think NG+4 is where I left off!

I see you're still addicted to ze choppa :lol:

What about Burial Blade, you tried that out?
Or the disappointment that is the Stake Driver

Also fucking hell man you're going so ham. The IED thing is gold, Why you always gotta be so stylish!!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Can't keep me hands offa me choppa Image I've really enjoyed going from absolute beginner to relative competent with it. Straight R1 chain is a dependable capitaliser, following a good dash-around or knockdown. Trick R2 chain has surprising verticality, great for whacking Parl, Miggy and Beastwiggy on the chin / in the nuts. Its running and charged Trick R2s are reliable crowd reapers, too. Got that Serrated/anti-Beast bonus on Straight, as well - unsure exactly how it calculates, but boss beasts definitely don't like that R1 chain.

I've shaded in a few specialties, here and there. Pick's my most used secondary. Straight's aforementioned R1 seeker is brilliant for catching cagey foes, with a combo thrashing optional. Trick R1 works similarly; the combo is valuable (a pair of reaping swipes), but the real gem is its one-tap "Drinking Bird." Quick, rangy, and painful, ideal for bait/punish. Get an enemy in striking range, and you can peck 'em into red ruin with impunity. I like to single out a target, bird 'em a bit, then unleash the combo as their backup moves in; if my footwork and timing are good, I can get three or four targets haplessly sideswiped.

Beyond outright destruction, its Trick Shot costs next to no stamina, time, or footing, and staggers all but the most God Poised enemies. I saw someone claim it can stagger-cancel "ANY attack in the game," which was quickly disproven with the help of Bricky-kun in Central :lol: But it's a great backup, and it can bulldoze to ridiculous extents; easy to send hardy enemies straight off ledges and cliffs.

(I enjoy the way early bruisers, like massive Bricky and Michael Myers-loving Choirboy, keep their stout character in the face of overwhelming endgame firepower. Trick Pick's Charge Combo will kill Choirboy dead - but it won't pancake him, and he can retaliate in the second before the Slap Shot arrives, if you're not careful! Scoot to his side/back, then unleash the red card fury. Does Choirboy even feel anything, any more? What is he, anyway? Image)

NOBODY KNOWS Image
Spoiler

Rakuyo doesn't seem to have the raw power of Pick or even Saw, but its Straight R1 chain has surprising stagger. Between the painterly strokes and vicious stabs, it can tangle up dangerous enemies, minibosses, and in a pinch, even crowds, while you head to the nearest bottleneck. Charge Shot's explosive thrust is great for catching exposed backs, too. My current anti-Kozmo weapon - every Phase 1 divekick is an easy V-ATK, eating into his Phase 2 reserve.

Bowblade's Trick arrows are, pending firearms research, great for dealing solid damage to things I don't wanna be near, like Phase 2 Larry. Gotta watch your stamina on Charge Shots (draw weight's gotta be up there, with the "arcane sonic boom") - and your footwork, too, but that's BB de rigeur. Plus, its R1 lets you move while shooting. :shock:

Chaps, I'm dreadfully sorry, but you appear to have stepped smack into my "shooting game" wheelhouse! Image
Spoiler

(every time I see those dudes... "yo, it's Papa Lazarou!" :lol: stylish fellows, dressed for night combat too!)

Saif seems to get rave reviews from some, I like what I've seen of its Straight sweeps. (I also like how it's a mirror image of its narrative successor, the Saw; Straight mode is the long, crowd-reaping blade, Trick mode is the short, sharp capitaliser). Its running Straight R2 is a definite point of interest, one of the most massive crowd-loppers I've seen so far.

I did give Burial Blade a go, +Tenning it on a lark (was surprised to see it in the Bath Bois' inventory :o) - seems like Church Pick's natural rival. My Arcane's not great, so I lose out on its hybrid PHYS/ARC damage, but I suspect I'll be back in later loops. Trick Charge Shot feels rad. :cool:

Couldn't bear to try Stake Driver, the thought of a bad pilebunker made me sad. :mrgreen: It's in the shortlist of flashy weapons I'd like to like, along with Whirligig Saw and Logarius's Wheel. I've not tried out the Holy Moonlight Blade yet either, mostly out of an "ain't broke don't fix" mentality. Blade of Mercy sounds good too... I suppose I'll go looking for potential +10s sooner, if the loops/Chalices beat me down.

TBH it's armour I'm really in the market for, but I get the distinct feeling BB isn't about security. Image Mostly rocking my old mate Simon's gear, with a bit of Alfy influence (Executioner Garb is comfy AF, good mundane+elemental balance too). Got my Henryk, Gaz and Djura cosplays for the occasional Bolt (Parl), Poison (Marv) and Fire (Larry) hazards. Dores's Frenzy PROTECC is handy VS Lanny-chans, too. Man, that takes me back to rooting through Forbidden Woods in search of goodies. Image

Gonna whack Ammy-chan tonight, then hit up my favourite haunts DogTown, SnakeVille and PigBurg. A veritable triple stacked bacon snakeburger of rustic carnage, capped off with a Great Big Fuckoff Brawl in the Forbidden Grave. :cool: I usually call in Henryk, just because I love the aesthetic of battling the Shadow Trio alongside a stout ally. This time I might call in Madaras The Older too. I know it jacks up boss HP, but tbh, Shadows ain't much of a threat, and I like it when the last survivor busts out that spectacular summon.

(the NPC AI is kinda feeble, ain't it - called in Gaz for a laugh, watched in dismay as the game's very first Wheelchair Gramps kept him at bay. Gaz goes for charge attack, Gramps blasts him and reloads, repeat. Image Had to step in or he'd have died. Still, I love the sense of wild carnage, even if I know I'm shouldering 90% of the effort)

(I spent a good couple hours searching feverishly for a way to open Bergy's trapdoor, thinking that wall that extends all the way from PigBurg's entrance to the Forbidden Graveyard might be a hint. Finally tapped out when I remembered I'd done the same for that forever-closed door leading from Cathedral Ward to Ricky Boi's boss area on the Great Bridge. :lol: man I was hoping I could see what was in that house along the way. going in random houses is my favourite thing in horror/action games, never know what you'll find Image or what will find you! Image)
bcass

Post by bcass »

Here's a little trick I learned in co-op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssJhBeCZYo
BIL

Post by BIL »

I knew there was a reason that thing can't be parted with. :cool:

Sent the Corner Beggar to Iosefka's the last couple loops, which in hindsight, I dislike doing for the same reason as the Submit ending - skips a cracking fight. So this time, I thought I'd collar him at the scene of the triple homicide. First loop, I literally stumbled over him - was happily barrel-rolling about when I heard his amiable "Blimey! Don't scare me like that!" Didn't really take in the scene until I'd told him about the chapel. On reflection, yeah, those bones ain't old. They've been... STRIPT N SUCT :shock:

Actually, holy fuck, that looks like a family. Image

...and this led to another amazing discovery: fighting him up top is a lot different than in the streets of Cathedral Ward. Corkscrew Blowed me clean off the roof into the river. :lol: Not the worst thing in hindsight. I'd completely cheesed him with Marrows in Loop 1, and forgotten how I dealt with his nastily tracking strikes in Loran. Abby is the only enemy I've seen that demands such straight-on quicksteps (other than his jumbo counterpart, Bloody). He's too quick for lateral or even 45' steps, at least for me. Can evade, but can't capitalise. Slice straight into his strike, so his fist practically goes through the camera, and he's left wide open, his tracking nullified.

I guess I do similar with Parl and Beastwig - sidestepping their claw swipes is a losing game, go straight in and R1 chain - but the feel is so different versus a mid-sized beast without a vulnerable underbelly.

"YOU call ME a beast?! A BEAST?!" Image From with them elusive NPC deets. I wonder if he took out the dead Hunter who's rocking a Cannon just downstairs.

Put off the kill to do a little research. I know it's technically possible to stun him with blades and gunfire alike, but I've never understood exactly how/when. Bit like the Undead Giants, who I can get maybe 50% of the time, going for their ailing tibias. Come to think of it, I still don't know what lets you stun Larry twice... I think it's cumulative damage? The first headshot is easy to do, the second's never something I bank on.

Dominance secured. Image
You will die when I say you must die. Image
NAO HIT MEH Image
Spoiler

GAHHH THAT HURT YOU FURRY CUNT Image

Wait a second. That thar be a Darkbeast, I think? Bzzt bzzt, bioluminescence and all. I thought they were supposed to be undead. Maybe he's got some Archibald tech too. Hm. Maybe I just whacked an endangered species. >_> "Don't fink too ard abaht it. Jast go aht and kiw some beasts. It's wot 'antas do." Yeah, good idea, Wheelie G.

Captured that HemWitch audio glitch I mentioned a couple loops back. Seems like an unusually bug-prone area - in the previous loop, I died to a handcuffs+MadOne beatdown. When I came back, the skyline was ghosting through the scenery... cleared up after I whacked the Witches. This time I was nervous the game would crash again, hence hightailing it to the lamp.

A boss that seems to improve in upper loops - I found them atmospheric, but relatively forgettable in OG. Didn't help that I'd seen Witches earlier, in much nastier context, while being brutalised in Gaol immediately post-Marvin. Seems the Loops' added HP lets them get a few more handcuffs off - I wasn't even aware they could attack in OG, never mind paralyse you for Mad One shanking. Splendidly evil, spidery BGM too, and one of the game's most grandly foul venues. Poor tortured bastard in back.

I only wish we got to explore a bit more of the Abode - it's pretty formidable, viewed from the ground. Provided it was the original team, in motivated form at that, From could easily get more DLC out of this on PS5, simply fleshing out a few more of these alluring places.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Some quality GIFs in this thread. I particularly like the Church Pick ones. For anyone interested in Bloodgem collecting, here's a video of my collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7eC5-gD4a4

Note that this collection was acquired long before people started hacking chalice dungeons to manipulate gem drops.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Gem farming is the main thing keeping me from starting another character. Currently have no desire to go through the chalice dungeons again.

I also really like my character. BL 160

Vit 99
End 18
Sk 60
St 10

Runes - Usually +15% Vit and +50% with two claw marks. Viscerals, even on +4 , rip out huge chunks of health. Hunter rune for stamina regen, but switch to impurity if I'm helping people.

Ill switch the claws for more vit and fire defense if it's Laurence or Doggo.

Pick, burial if I'm feeling flashy, and cane if I'm feeling classy.

Oh! Don't ever go into ?place name? root chalice dungeons. Chance you'll lose your character in them. Not worth it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

U know of any game featuring war scythe as a weapon? Bloodborne has always(?), to me, looked like one to have it.
As an infantry weapon, the military scythe had practical applications both in offensive actions against enemy infantry and as a defensive measure against enemy cavalry.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

There's definitely a few "grim reaper" styled weapons (Burial Blade comes to mind - takes your head clean off!), and a few more polearms, besides. Can't recall any like that IRL war scythe, but I'm new to BB/Souls.

Beasthunter Saif has a similarly-shaped blade to the Scottish example, that talon aspect... however, in true Hard Action form, it's a monstrously outsized thing. Wielded one-handed, too! Image

Hunter's Nightmare has all the coolest toys.
Spoiler

REAPING HOUR Image
Spoiler

FOLD IT IN 2 LIKE A MAHFUCKIN PIZZA Image
Spoiler

Faaack I love Research Hall. You know the old joke "The kingdom's #1 swordsman doesn't fear the second-best. He fears the worst, because who knows what that asshole will do?" An entire stage of that, done up in KCET-calibre sympathetic horror. And for even more survival horror points, an easy-going yet almightily weird boss. Image

BB weapon design makes me recall (oh god, this is the worst kind of GRRM connection, with Elden Ring coming up) the Game of Thrones TV adaptation; specifically, that ridiculous cartoon warhammer that was supposed to be Robert Baratheon's. Looked like an inflatable rubber mallet. More like this, you hack frauds!

"In my dreams, I kill him every night."
Spoiler

Or maybe this:

"Despite his crimes, Prince Rhaegar was no coward."
Spoiler

HBO's version didn't even look threatening in its comedy. Church Pick is how it's done. Clearly too massive for anyone to wield effectively IRL, but perfect for BB's Berserk-styled horror fantasia. I like that its description gives a fanciful origin ("inspired by the old beast tales"), while also noting its grim practicality in the hands of cosmic horror jagermeisters marinated in alien godflesh. With that body-obliterating power on tap, yeah, time to lift steel and poleaxe Brown Jenkins and Shoggoths by the trainload, before tearing Nyarlathotep several brand new assholes.

COCK THE HAMMER ITS TIME 4 ACTION

Actually spider dudes you probably should fear the reaper :o
Spoiler

Spoiler

^^^ PLS 4GIVE ME MIGGY-SAMA (;`w´;)
THAT HURT YOU A LOT MORE THAN IT HURT ME (`w´メ)

Tonight, mein head also ASPLÖDEN... TWO TIMES :shock:

1: had no idea the Monocle's crosshairs weren't just for show! EZ Patches takedown in Nightmare Frontier, and lots of other handy things aside. Blasting oil drums should be a lot simpler now. Also great when you can't quite lock onto something, for whatever reason.

poppin all that good shit til u got shot in your face Image
Spoiler

(RAMBO BGM) Image
Spoiler

Bros get chivalrous battle. Hoes get treachery blacker than the devil's asshole Image
Spoiler

*bonk*
Spoiler

Speaking of Patches. I generally don't attack non-hostile NPCs. I always liked Metal Slug's policy: if they're shitting their pants in terror, leave 'em be (this is of course blatant hippy wish-thinkery; once a man has shat his pants, you better believe he'll shoot you in the back!). However, I claim clear casus belli with the bahstahd, on account of ye olde cliff shove. What a pain in the ass! Apparently, even if you smack him off the ambush spot, you'll still get dunked if he's alive in the Lecture Building. I guess he landed in the grass or climbed back up or something. Anyway, I whacked him last loop, noticed he got a nasty hit in. Was impressed he even defended himself tbh, more than that cheeky cockney cunt in Oedon ever does.

Let him run about a bit this time, was amused to see he has the moveset of the giant Mensis spider. Can't recall any others doing the "hula dance" attack. He also tried to shit poison on me, which I don't think I've seen Big Mensis do, but I won't hold it against him. Like every other BB spider, Patches has vicious frontal offense, but is completely SOL if you scoot to his side and unleash teh fuckin fury. I've had the living daylights mule-kicked out of me by Bloodsuckers and Beastwig one too many times to fall for that old trick, but good show old boy.

2: WTF this genuinely startled me Image Image Sadly not much of a conversationalist, but I'd never have guessed in a million years he could survive the ghastly rumble he so memorably emceed. I did take buddy down quite quickly this time, my first ever one-shot... I guess that helped.
survive
What in God's name am I saying. >_>

my man lookin 95% jerk chicken, 5% bone, 1000% why are we still here
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

Holy fuck lmao Image

I was gonna hit Loop 4 Mico with my KOKUJUUKEN PERFECT (Beastroar into corner + R1 Chain + Beastroarx2 during recharge + R1 Chain, repeat = no humanweight enemy can escape a fatal thrashing, unless they've got a hard combo breaker ala Maria's phase changes. Crowy pending. At this point, I could buy it working, or netting me a Moe Green Special and immediate eVisceration). But then Mico went and spread his ass cheeks, as he's wont to. OH WELL. Mensis rocks, tbh I even like Mico, especially now I can kneecap him during the pursuits and watch him flop about howling like a jagoff.

Aight BUTA-CHAN (■`w´■)
PASS ME THEM THANGS, LETS GET EM (`w´メ)
Spoiler

Damn nice save Buta, that candle-sniffing fuck fence almost had me (`w´メ)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

You can also shoot him from the balcony when he is in the same room. Glad they included that.

I saw this yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/com ... ss_battle/

I really want to find out how to make it happen.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I so enjoy the DOOM-style use of fences and walls as borders of grand discovery. :mrgreen: Right from that first one-way gate next to Gilbert's place in Central. Classic example of less with more. Noticed last loop, you can spot Moon Prez mooning you over the fence if you die/Mark Out. :o Image

Aaand FML Image Figured out a reliable weapon pairing for Kozmo: Rakuyo phase 1, Church Pick phase 2. Rakuyo's charge shot is a free backstab every time he tries the diving axe. Quickstep into him, hold R2 during your recovery frames, whammo.

Old Hunter technique "Up The Bum Corner" Image
Spoiler

Outside of V-ATK, I don't hit him in this phase - not worth risking an early Phase 2. I'm wondering if switching to Pick when Phase 2 is imminent might make sense.

Church Pick's straight R1 chain seems reliable VS Phase 2 - provided you launch from his sides, its aggressive tracking and reach can catch his bestial movement. I'm certainly hitting him a lot more than I did with Saw, where extended chains ended up whiffing at air. Was happily thrashing him at full HP with tons of vials and bullets, looking to make my 5-heal soft limit, when - WEAPON AT RISK

MFW
Spoiler

Great googly moogly my mind went to dogshit, got beaten like a rug. Just about clobbered him down, but holy fuck this is the last motherfucking time I get caught out like that. :evil: Evil, evil shit. :lol: I like the "tyre-kicking" aspect of BB, especially in later loops, where you'll have a much better idea of what loadouts you want for each area/boss. This one tends to escape me though.

I wonder if Pick + Beastpill might do 'im. I usually get the kill in ~5 attempts, but he's the one boss I'm yet to one-shot. Besides that bitch Larry, but I'm not even close to a reliable finish there, Phase 2 barfathon bulldozes me. Best on both were two-shots back in Loop 2.

Hey it stops raining when you kick Kozmo off the beach. :o

Spoiler

Questions, questions. Lookin quite Metal Black, fittingly. Teh sky and the sea~

Time to hit up some Chalices methinks. My progression was a mess, having ignored dungeons for the last couple loops. Cleared the first Isz Chalice back in Loop 1 prior to the finish, gave a hearty "aight bye" after the rampant Brainsucker infestation, then sold off a bunch of my Ritual Materials. Relegated to Depth 2, made it back to Depth 5 in a couple hours this lazy Friday night. It was all semi-intelligible to me in Loop 1, now I'm liking all them gems. Image

Hunter Torch +10 murders Brainsuckers' faces off. I was primarily relying on Tiny Tonitrus before - effective, but slow, and very easy to trade with handcuffs on the boss version - at which point, you're fucked/sucked. Even the Depth 5 boss version dies to a couple full-bar R1 Torch chains (at my moderate 40 END w/2x Metamorphosis + Hunter oath runes).

Of course you can just bludgeon them into sushi, too. +10 Straight Saw, Pick and Rakuyo's R1 Chains will all reliably destroy them. But with such a singularly injurious fiend, I like to know all my disposal options.

I seem to do best sticking to brute PHYS damage. Tried out a Firesaw on Parl, got him on the ropes before bugzapper caught me out of a roll. Switched to Church Pick, bah gawd he broke in haff. Might go with Trick Pick over Trick Saw for him, seems to get those high hits more reliably. Easy to land charge shots if your placement and timing are good, too.
Spoiler

GG Parl. I ain't usin that fancy title, we was in gaol eatin govt cheese son Image
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

That Lost Kingdoms font.
Spoiler
Anyone knows which game had it first?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

I've wondered the same - it's an exceptionally comfy font! Contrasts perfectly with the harrowing rushes of victory and defeat alike. Arcadey AF. Liberation Serif seems a popular suggestion.

Speaking of! LOL STAHP IM GONNA COOM - all over the petunias, even! (◎w◎;)

Omae wa mou danshoku Image
Spoiler

And so, that was Loop 4. I really fuckin hate Vicar Larry, or at least I did (CTRL+F "FUCK_LARRY" Image) - so I thought I'd use the preceding weekend for a proper Story Chalice run. Or... a Pthumerian Chalice run? Either way, I never saw Defiled, back in Loop 1. I'd assumed Isz Gravestone was the big finish. I was wrong :shock: Headless Bloodletting Beast is exactly the plaintively vile creature I signed up for. Now, while I have loved BB's prose and VA, I've found myself habitually looking up JP names and terms - an old ritual from the hard-nerdfightin' glory days of Silent Hill and MGS. Image

BB's filename is apparently 始祖ビースト / "Founder Beast," with the in-game text calling it 獣血の主 / "Host of the Beast Blood." That's quite the narrative nugget lost in translation! Image Particularly in text this knowingly oblique. I'd instantly connect from those names why its blood would be "let" - and why the surrounding civilisation would collapse. FEAR IT LARRY, BY THE GODS

So, a formerly random critter gains deadly "Patient Zero" gravity. There's one in obliterated Loran, too. And Pthumeria Ihyll's BLB has not only been brutalised (ritual? ritual gone wrong? or neither - just a desperate attempt to destroy the thing?) - it also hosts a stomach-churning VERMIN. Obviously I bludgeoned the ugly fucker on sight. Image I am HEAD OF TEH LEAGUE after all! Pop quiz, assholes! VERMINS are to be

A) Baked
B) Sauteed

C) FOOKIN CROOSHED

Makes me wonder about my buddy VALTR, #1 Vermin Crusher (ret), and the "foreign land" he and his ill-fated crew are said to have chased their beast all the way to Yharny from. Also Yamamura The Wanderer - another foreigner who did some gallant beast-chasing of his own, but lacked VALTR's unstoppable BEAST EATER buff (dead homies = x1000 EAT_FUCKIN_FACE stat), and so was SCURRED by VERMINS. Poor prick. I tried beaning him with a pebble to see if we could talk, no dice, dead before he hit the ground. 3;>

Moreover, is this parasitism the true nature of "Old Blood?" What awful shit is borne in Hunter bloodstreams? Maybe the Vilebloods are onto something, with those disgusting Blood Dregs. Or Blood Jizz. Some say JIZM. The "Madman's Knowledge" artwork is a lousy pearl slug bursting from a human skull... the "Great One's Wisdom" shows a whole nest of the things. Fake Yosie complains of things wriggling in her skull. Hm. Maybe more literal than I'd assumed? Disgusting. Image

I almost wonder if something burst out of Laurence's skull, rather than it being stove in from without. Although that's a pretty clean cut.

(JP name for Brador's Bloodletter = PHLEBOTOMY HAMMER :lol: BWAAAAAAA Image roll up to blood bank and they bust out a hammer RUN 4 IT MUHFUCKA)

Valtr lost the ability to see VERMINS long ago, per his helm's description. I wonder if he was infected when he ate that fucker to the bone. Hmm. My current POV on BB is that your character has some form of immunity, or at least symbiocity with The Blood. "You've found yourself a hunter!" (sounding pleasantly surprised) = "You've found someone who doesn't become a worm-eaten ticking timebomb when they get a hit of the good stuff" ???

Expertly-done ellipses aside, Chalicing be some VAGRANT STOLY shit. <3 I rove it Image Image Image Moody loot/stab/shoot extravaganza.

Queenie is a very cool boss - I'm torn between her being a worthy reward for completing the story dungeons, and wishing she'd appeared somewhere in-game. I like it when 3D action games make use of decoy/clone/phantom targets, forcing you to manage lockons in realtime. Takes me back to beloved ZOE2 XTREEM, as BB so often does (BB plays remarkably close to Shinobi Super x ZOE2 EX - the former's precision backslash skulduggery, the latter's laser-deployed iframe warheads, the icy orbiting and explosive exchanges of both). Would've been a cool Annalise fight.

Not that I ever tried angering her. Besides getting all up in her bidness ("Neil!" "No love my name's Biruford! "NEIL!" "LMAO"). I leave that ugly business to my boy QUEENKILLA. Nuclear Take: Alfy is a cooler boss than Logarius. He may be a fairly generic Hunter X Hunter, true - but his executioner's trudge, the constant bestial ki explosions, and his two-fisted, liver-demolishing Lead Paint chugging (that bitch Brador is forever banished under the table) are singularly menacing among duellists. Nothing approaching Crowy, but then nobody does.

Speaking of, saw my first Crowhunter Story Failure in Loop 5, and probably my last. Eileen's no Crowy, as expected. HEADCANON NO NAZO: Did she lose her shit destroying Henry_K, and never catch up with her infamous final mark? Or is Crowy's corpse somewhere nearby, and this sad wreck the same Eileen found dying on the steps... only standing on mad bloodlust? Either way, MUH FEELS. Only thing worse than mom getting killed is having to kill mom in self-defense. :shock: From/Miyazaki/Sony picked a crack VA team. Genuinely depressing hearing her reduced to a random Central thug, in Phase 1 ("A hoonter's blood for me!"), before Phase 2 spirals into bleak madness proper.

THE BEASTS CANNOT BE STOPPED!
DEATH TO ALL HOONTERS! Image (I love the voice crack on that line, splendid VA)

Valtr and Eileen both AHTSAIDAS with those Yorkshire accents. Hm. Yharny really is LAHNDAHN TAHN innit. Yamamura was dubbed, that's my headcanon.

I'm glad you don't have to do some lame, character-breaking shit to arrive at this sad end, like randomly smacking her. AFAIK, that's what you need for QUEENKILLA, and even in his triumphal bloodlust, poor Alfy will give you plenty of chances to back off. I usually chuck rocks at him, the universally chivalrous gesture of "FIGHT ME MUHFUCKA."

I won't be fighting either in the last couple loops. Crowy's the game's best duel, and I like Alfy. Tells you straight-up he's a wetworker for the church when you first meet, before asking to be ur bro. It's not like he claimed to be anything other than a grunt. Can't even blame his poor dumb ass for not detecting the whiff of Ghost Pussy when you hand over the summons rocking CORRUPTION, and warring out on you then and there. Or maybe he noticed, but likes me. That can happen. >_>

God damn. I handed him the fuckin summons, didn't I? Hmm! I could whack Annalise and shove her remains in a trunk. :o Then again, for all their scary WAMPYR aesthetic, I'm leaning towards Cainhurst being the less atrocious party here. Then againer, that Child Of Blood shit sounds a bit WMD.

It's just like MUH D&D :shock: And by that I mean Tower of Doom! Image

^^^ TFW when COOM so hard ur braen ASPLOED

FUCK_LARRY: Had a surprise EZ-ish Larry takedown, after the Story Chalicing was done. For Phase 1, it seems hugely helpful to go for the arm break, post-headshot. For me, this means getting into Saw range and R1 chaining him, always a rough science... it beats spending forever pecking away at him, though. Busted arm seems to "unlock" the second headshot, after which he won't last long before hitting the deck. At which point, you have a massive pain in the ass to deal with, but that's Larry for you.

For fellow Bowblade fans, the "lava plunger" is a handy timing tool. Start charging in sync with the blast wave, you'll nail the Charge Headshot every time. For the love of god and all that is holy, make sure that's what he's actually going for, though! His body language differs subtly for the alternative, where he plants his arm, then hauls himself forward at you.

SATISFACTIONS Image
Spoiler

In Phase 2, I still don't know better than to broadly evade his crawling, while using the barf phase to land hits/reload. I went in with eighteen vials and finished with five, quite a few used for reload+recovery. I guess Runing up some extra ammo capacity would make sense - tbh, the fireproof + HP Up options I've gone with don't seem to help much if shit hits the fan. Marrowed Cannon is becoming tempting.

Actually hitting Phase 2 still evades me. Every time I get close, I seem to be staggered by his... AOE? It's hard to tell exactly what. I really wasn't expecting to win this at all, assuming it'd be a research run. Took his last 5HP with the Bowblade's measly L2 slash, because I was too frazzled to hit [right] for the Saw. I'm sure some poor fuck out there has done this out of sheer desperation. :lol:

I wish they'd given this asshole a nice arena, and a mortar attack to go with it. It's a battle of man VS camera, as-is. Speaking of, didn't find Defiled Miggy nearly as imposing as regular Miggy, on account of that astoundingly massive coliseum you're given to fight him in. Doesn't even have scenery to trip up on like the main story version!

Spoiler

U EVER NOTICE how Miggy (THA REAL MIGGY) likes hanging out on buildings, just like his bros? Except u can't see him on approach, even with 9999MILION INT! Just like a real fuckin spider tbh! :o Some MIGGLE GEAR SOLID shit Image

TFW MIGGY UR BRO <333 (^w´ )

I've warmed up to Miggy a lot, since his Loop 1 drubbing. There's a credible pressure game afoot - you want to keep him near enough to capitalise on his ground slams, but not so much that you get caught in their increasingly massive blast zones - and you can't let him take you to the wall, where he'll have you dead to rights. A fight improved by quality ranged weapons, imo.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh the Founder beast may be like that in ol' filenames but they changed it for a reason. And those weren't meant to be seen in the finished product.

If a published book tells you Aunt Janice is an alien in the story but then somebody finds the old draft manuscript in the author's basement and decides that aunt janice was in fact normal first before the author changed his mind.

Then Janice is still a fuckin' alien!!

I wonder if you're overlevelled for all but the deepest chalices now, having had 4 runs through of the main game n' all.
Although character growth must have slowed to a crawl at this point? The gear certainly isn't getting any better
My current POV on BB is that your character has some form of immunity, or at least symbiocity with The Blood. "You've found yourself a hunter!" (sounding pleasantly surprised) = "You've found someone who doesn't become a worm-eaten ticking timebomb when they get a hit of the good stuff" ???
I like that a lot. Still something else sets the Hunters apart because they get caught up in the dream, and they smell different. Various NPCs refer to you having that hunter smell, or 'moon-scents.'
It makes me think Hunters get a different kind of transfusion. Gilbert in his window mentions the church having knowledge of "all varieties of blood."

I think Yamamura's only there to hint at Sekiro
I also think the Marvelous Chester is in DS1 to hint at Bloodborne

You know I don't think I've ever fought Alfred!

Oh wow you've finished the Defiled Shit Covered Cummy Chalice? That thing was a real porblem for me
Especially Miggy killing me with a single touch!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Definitely, the filenames only go so far (I seem to recall Queen Yharny's is something like "Dungeon Dweller - Bride"). "Founder Beast" is almost certainly an overshoot, and very on-the-nose, regardless. The retail JP text does prick me ears up though, as always. "Bloodletting Beast" is fairly inscrutable, and tbh, "Host" little better (so many generic interpretations on both - beasts are regularly associated with free-flowing blood... and aren't all of them technically "hosting" The Blood?). Finally seeing the Ihyll specimen's hideous parasitisation really connected some dots, particularly the recurring "things in skulls" concept, which I'd regarded a lot more figuratively. The titular concept of "things in blood" too, really.

Especially the way the parasite seems to be "steering" the body around the room, and moreover, how it may well be in control from the beginning, puppeting a corpse (Phase 1 is genuinely blind - it can lose track of you and will visibly grope about the arena... ostensibly because it's got no fookin' head, but then again, being buried in neck stump can't help visibility either!).

The name switch reminded me of Silent Hill 2's EN script, which while similarly excellent, has some seemingly arbitrary fundamental changes here and there.

EN: "You promised you'd take me (to SH) again, but you never did." WOW, JAMES A SHIT (■`w´■)
JP: "You promised you'd take me (to SH) again, but my illness made that impossible." BAWWWW (;`w´;)

Not saying I think Blood-infused humans have Sekiro-styled centipedes writhing within, waiting to be wrenched out - I think the infested beast is more a figurative thing, an illustration of what it means to "commune" with... whatever the Blood is.

So fuckin grim, I love it ^__^ Image BB has that elusive bridging of the ethereal and the visceral. It only hit me in recent loops that Ebrietas can kill you by "oversharing" her blood. (one thing I miss from stuff like RE4: dedicated player/enemy death routines - I could imagine something really Cronenbergian for Frenzy)

---

Ah yes, the "moonlit scent" / "moon-scented hunter" lines - one of those was one of my most (aesthetically) intense sequences, when you bust into the clinic. I wasn't sure WTF I was going to find taunting me upstairs in the pitch-dark. Turned out to be... nothing much at all, but great setup regardless. :mrgreen:

Were Djura and Eileen "protagonists" at some point, I wonder? Clearly, Gehrman-affiliated Hunters can't be unheard of. With the a la carte protagonist, it's tempting to think the Three Cords ending is what happens when someone ruthless and motivated enough accepts the job (a Cosmic Usurper, of sorts...). The only Hunter-esque character I can recall displaying much interest in the "beyond" is Fake Iosie. Hard to know where the battle lines are here, or even the space/timelines, or if there's anyhing that could really be termed "battle" to start with. (my current POV is that even the "real world" is thoroughly compromised... a patch of reality warped by the influence of things humans had no business disturbing, let alone "beckoning" or harnessing - Larry's Great Adventure).

The breadcrumb trail is infernally good fun to puzzle over. Takes me back, this. Image

Totally forgot to mention, I got BFF Djura this time around! I've been a little more liberal with hints, as September nears. I doubt I'd ever have figured this one out. Bringing it up as, besides his fond mention of having dreamed once (interesting contrast with Mad Eileen and Gehrman's far grimmer sentiments), I also found a unique environmental interaction. Set the first Old Yharny church on fire, and it'll wipe out all smaller Beasts... a few Baggies will survive and fight, while a Big Baggy buffs them from the far end of the hall. One particular Baggie will do this. Poor soul. I didn't have the heart to smack her, but Beast Roar will aggro her just like the rest.

Big fan of these tiny one-offs. There's also the sniper near the Birdpit in Forbidden Woods (first section), who comes out from behind that cabin looking (and sounding) for all the world like you've caught him taking a shit. :mrgreen: You can sneak up behind him too, he's just idling behind there, but he'll make the same oddly surprised grunting.

Oh also, noticed you can actually see someone in the despairing woman NPC's hut, near the dogs. Looks like it's just a generic Gaol Huntsman model, but OFC it's a lot more than most windows hold.

---

Yeah I've been sticking to Chalice Depth 5, going to have a look at Fetid/Rotted/Cursed because I like the loot. Image Definitely feels a bit comfy, compared to Loop 1, where I could get one-shotted for the tiniest lapse, but nothing tooo out of line (Red Spiders now take ~50HP a claw, rather than 80+).

As for the main game, oof, I hear it doesn't actually scale up too much from NG1 to NG6 (20% spread over the full set, IIRC), but shit still hits more than hard enough to keep me honest. For a laugh, since I'm happy with my damage output, I decided I'd use Loop 5 to max out VIT, aaand... at 86, Redeyed Saif in the Hunter's Nightmare can do 95% with his Straight charge shot. :lol: (catching me out of a quickstep, admittedly)

This is pretty much what I'm used to anyway, though, in my Hard 3D Action. MGS2 Euro Extreme bosses doing 90% HP a bullet, DMC's Dante making noobs rage when, after shrugging off one body-annihilating horror after another in cutscenes, he'll lose 50% HP to a random puppet slash, ZOE2 and Shinobi's final difficulty tiers making sustained, flawless use of their finesse mechanics non-optional. If anything, BB's kinda nice. Generous heal stocks, a comeback mechanic, and surprising scope for bloody-nosed parry/trades ending in V-ATK with your lost HP and more restored, and the enemy in shreds and ready for wakeup backstab.

Speaking of, these doods are the best. Image Everything I like in my quickstepping 3D action enemy design. I wish they popped up a bit more often. Innsmouth's Big Sharkies are fun too, but dangerous enough I sometimes duck out. (and the way the Well's Anchor Boi will power-walk away for help is 100% beefy fish dick :evil: Here's how I... correct he ass Image (after they stomped me a few times :oops:)
Blinge wrote:You know I don't think I've ever fought Alfred!
You really have to piss him off - I was expecting him to fly off the handle in the Vileblood Throne Room, but he's his usual proper self, which made me feel awful. Worth it to hear his psychotic VA, just like Failed Eileen. Back in Loop 1, I put the controller down a sec while enjoying his tales of yore (such good readings), then picked it up again and accidentally shot him square in the face. :lol: From then on, talking to NPC = LOOK AWAY NAO
Oh wow you've finished the Defiled Shit Covered Cummy Chalice? That thing was a real porblem for me
Especially Miggy killing me with a single touch!
I think I got a huge break on Miggy - he'd do 50/75% a hit, and might've killed me outright with his ground pounds, had any connected. But with shameless Bowblade abuse, and tons of Blood Bullets, I had a pretty comfy one-shot. What probably also helped is, I let him thrash me quite a bit in the main game, until I could consistently kill him with maybe one vial used (well, "kill" him - more like get his lifebar down to a sliver, then eat a ground-pound nuke to the face Image when they're gone, they're gone! did similar with Ebrietas, another big swingy boss I felt like I was bullshitting through)

The Defiled arena is also (AFAIK) quite a bit larger than his courtyard, so my usual tack of baiting him along and cashing in on his ground pounds did mad dividends.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh, if you get to Iosefka's clinic upstairs before Rom Jeremy is kill.... then the lady herself fights you
or rather, the 'imposter iosefka' as mentioned in the credits.

Did you know the voice of the lady behind the door actually changes after you first make it to the cathedral ward/oedon chapel lantern?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yep! Got the menacing Choir (?) ninja in Loop 2. I was gonna back off, pending further developments, but then she taunted me about the costs if I refused to leave and I, uh, kinda lost my rag and ran up in there before bludgeoning her into gristle. :oops: (more like I was seriously curious at WTF was even going on. I had no idea I'd seen her "final form" way back in Loop 1, though I didn't seal the deal there. Nor did I with poor Arianna. I really don't like hitting stuff that's not actively combative, and this is one of my few aesthetic critcisms of BB. 99.9% of my gaming is 110% hyper-aggressive, this is a break from all that, I don't want to brain some poor broad (or her demon hellfoetus) 3;<

PUNISHED BIRUFORD Image
A killer denied his motherfuckers :shock:

Faux-sie is one of two BB NPCs I whacked on pure provocation, the other being that cheeky cockney chappy cunt. I'm like "You do see the great big fuckoff meat cleaver, right?" :lol:

(this is why I was so impressed with That Bitch Patches - for all his shit-talk, craven pleading, and outright murderous backstabbing, he'll actually fight you if you give him a stiff smack in the mouth - though I'm saddened to note, he's nothing special after all. Even his zako gang, the Bowl Cut Bois, can do Big Mensie's super attacks VENOM_POOP, DARKNESS_BUST and SOCIABLE_DANCE)

(I'm so delighted that after Bloodsucking Beasts' and BUTA-CHAN's realistic anuses, BIG MENSIE and his crew not only audibly shit poison on you, but with a realistically voiding discharge action Image Christ almighty, my arachnophobia is blazing in my skull just typing this Image)

In Loop 3, I left Mad Ninja Doc alone until the 'orrible end. (Valtr: "Haven't you seen enough of these mad scientists?" Y-yeah but look boss, I have to wait until she whines up her skirt so I can smack her on the head and eat the umbilical co - wait, where'd you go? And why does this disc read "Silent Hill 4?")
Blinge wrote:Did you know the voice of the lady behind the door actually changes after you first make it to the cathedral ward/oedon chapel lantern?
I watched the staff roll post-Loop 1, and spotted the "Impostor" - but I completely missed the significance. I thought it was referring to someone/something in the Research Hall. It was only this latest Loop, where I didn't send anyone to Mad Doc's grasping clutches, that I really twigged what (seems to have) happened. This particular victim won't go at you unless you really get in its face, and I know from Loop 1 that it drops... Dr. Iosefka's Good Shit Tha LTD Stash Not 4 Sale Image Yharnie a rough joint 3;

Was honestly a pleasant surprise, how grandfatherly Djura is if you avoid pissing him off further, after ripping his painstakingly hand-written note in half. ;-;7 My HARD GAYMING WORLD is an evil place, uncountably full of foemen - and very soon it will call me back! So you know, nice not to have to whack every last poor SOB in the joint. Unless they have a story item I need. >_>

Gee thanks Sir. How'd I get in? I, uh, I convinced Marvin I don't taste very good, and he let me use his Lamp, also, it were that dirty muhfucka Parl what whacked all your dudes, yeah that's it. Image

One of my favourite things so far in Loop 5. :lol: AYO HOL UP *BAP BAP BAP* SRY B/DAT Been using those Transform combos a lot more - not even Choirboys can withstand a metal-grinding smack in the mout Image