From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by BIL »

Not for honour, but 4 u ~ (■`W´■)
Spoiler

Operation SHARK FUCKER II: Monocular Sniping Fish Fuck Boogaloo (`w´メ)

JFC am I glad I took the time to learn Miggy proper, overground. :o Hit Loop 6 after a somewhat better Larry takedown (now I deliberately kite him around the room's edges, like he's doing laps down the YMCA) - was cheerfully digging around an Isz Root with Fetid+Rotted+Cursed. Guess who should I find down in the ROMble room. :shock: Damn near pissed meself at the sight of the unfolding fiend. As with Overland vs Chalice ROM, a much nastier venue for my usual Miggy strats than the courtyard, or Defiled's coliseum. Fucker was playing jump-rope on me at one point.

I don't think I've ever even seen a second headshot on Miggy, l guess all the forced compromises to R1 rather than full-blast R2 hit the quota. I get the feeling these things are determined not by total damage done, but total hits. See also Kozmo, who'll go to Phase 2 a lot quicker if you're taking potshots at him, and Sacky-kun's RAEG MOED.

Parl doesn't like Fire Pick, all he hair burnt off Image

Fings wot I learn 2day, XTRA-lazy BB Saturday >¦3 A night of curses!

0) the poor Research Hall NPC who kneels lamenting by the Failures' door isn't waiting there by default, as I'd once assumed. Hm. Makes sense, actually. How would she get there before you raise the steps? Hall's deceptively vicious enemies put me in methodical room-clearer mode like no other BB stage, and so spying a patient racing along the stairs below, I instantly executed a (nonetheless beautiful) tumbling ninja assassination on the tormented soul. RIP, or however this Dreamlands shit works 3;

Also, not only will Mr. Giant Lumenflower keep you covered VS the Failures' COSMO DRESDEN - the Failures themselves will, too! Get up in dat Papa Smurf butt! An easy boss, to be sure, but so fun, and jaw-droppingly rendered.

WHOA, ITS BEAUTIFUL (◎w◎;)
Spoiler

1) staying up all Friday night with BB will make me misread Marv's lifebar as "Wood-Starved Beast" and spray my drink. :oops:

2) EMO-CHAN NAWWW ;-; If you don't speak to the Oedon Chapel Dweller before getting bagged, you won't be able to send her there. Whacked Parl good, spoke to OCD, came back and found my poor psycho church girl's corpse. WAAAA

Shoulda known there'd be no FRUSTRATED CHURCH GIRL FUCC for this punished soul. (■`w´■)

3) similarly, if you've not spoken to Iosefka, you won't have the option of directing survivors to her place. I sent poor Arianne to the Chapel as always (most saddest BB NPC 3;), only had the Chapel option for the rude cunt next door. Told him to go to Oedon, assuming he'd stay put there. Spoke to Iosie and BLAM! Received thanks for "sending him along." :lol: So he'll do his usual switcheroo bullshit even if there's just the one location available to you. Couldn't have happened to a smarmier twat! I usually let the Beggar have him, before whacking same.

4) or at least I did in previous loops. Discovered last time that Beggar + Chapel Miggy = Metal Blood 2 slowdown. Technically easier to survive, I guess, but fucked me dodge timing roiiight up.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Still making my way through +4 with my bl 150 hunter. Regular enemies are about the same, but some of the bosses I haven't died to in ages are getting one or two good licks in.

Went a little backwards - Cleric, Gas, Witches (zero deaths). Vicar got my twice. Shadows went quick, Rom got me once, then Paarl took three tries and (as Bil has officially changed his name) Starvin Marvin killed me once. Sorry Djura I know I lied to you. I also didn't know/forgot that the kidnappers only appear after you've killed Marvin.

Anyways in the Byrg. The fly headed fuckers - are they wearing the same rags as the patients in the Research Hall? I think they are, but am not quite sure.

They sure as fuck look like test subjects that were pumped full of insight? I don't know...something though.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Just took out Rom Jeremy meself, got Bergy on my mind. :mrgreen: Those Frenzy-inflicting guys definitely seem like they're from the same bleak circle of Kin as the Celestials and the Patients. I'd add the Brainsuckers too... I suppose Fluorescent Flower aka Napalm Giraffe, at a stretch. On my first run, I thought those two were things brought back from the Labyrinth, but I get the feeling BB's narrative leans towards "former human unless stated otherwise." All these warped things, and Rom, found very near a supposedly catatonic Willem. Hm.

I've wondered about Willem's culpability in all this, if any. Of the story's three big faction leaders, Laurence and the Healing Church are portrayed to be reckless at best - human experimenting monsters at worst. Same for the "madmen" Micolash and Mensis, who seem unashamedly murderous, with their own kidnapping industry (noticed this loop, the dead Hunter you grab the Yargy Set from is driving a prison carriage).

Bergy gets implicated directly via the Old Preacher at the Fishing Hamlet, but the nearest Willem himself seems to diabolism is his boys Dores and DoorGuy. Even then, the Graveguard set says only that they were sent into the Labyrinth and went mad... not enough to villainise ol' Willy in his rocking chair. He seems almost like the Miskatonic U dudes from The Dunwich Horror - a bit of quaint HPL-style idealism, where the true men of science know to Fear The Old Stuff. Then again, there's a healthy ambiguity to just what Willem's ambitions really were. Presumably not Larry's beasts or Mickey's Necro-Voltrons, but maybe something yet worse?

(and as always with BB, questions just spiral off into more questions - water and sky are given clear symbolic weight via the text, but I'd not considered a third element: sand, as in devoured Loran. I'd thought of Yargy as dusty, but having just arrived back in town, I wonder... the streets seem more like desert trails. what a curiously menacing detail! nothing much further from water than miserable old sand)

Speaking of water, finally registered that you pop up in a "bath" teleporter after leaving Moonside Lake (I'm always hyperfocused on the looming Miggy, and that superbly uneasy Ritual Secret Broken - whoops? :o) The baths have exactly the same look as the burning skeletons in Yarghy's streets. I wonder if those are either failed, or more troublingly, incipient teleports. The position of the bodies is interesting too... beholding a Paleblood sky indeed, boney-kun!

Spent most of the last loop 1) buffing up VIT (doesn't help much, Rom's little buddies still do 95% with every jump-claw) and 2) trying out new weapons. The Whirligig Saw... I mean how could you not love it on a conceptual level, holy fuck. :shock: As for effectiveness, it seems good, but also kinda high-risk compared to my handy duo of Saw & Pick. Holy Moonlight Sword, I'd not even tried in the past loops. I really like the Einhand stance - reliable big damage dealer, perfect for scoring glancing running hits on Rom. I kinda can't be arsed with the Zweihand / Arcane mode just yet, but as with the Burial Blade, it's definitely on the shortlist for later.
Stevens wrote:Went a little backwards - Cleric, Gas, Witches (zero deaths). Vicar got my twice.
I like to hit the Witches after Marv+Parl - feels like a nice little detour before Amelia, who puts me on the path to Rom, who pretty much opens up the endgame slate - and Hemwick is stunning in daylight, too. Having said that, my first loop went there after dark, and I kinda miss it now, so that's probably what I'll do for the next and final run. The sense of exploring a haunted, overgrown little warren is amazing Image
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Oooo Bil - emissaries of the Byrg did some truly horrific shit at the Hamlet. Won't spoil it for you if you haven't figured it out yet.

The clues are there: )
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, I got the dirt on Bergy straight from Old Preacher - outstanding bit of NPCery, in a game already chock-full of memorable bit players. More memorable than the absentee big names, in a sense. (I was totally blind there, was amazing not knowing what he'd do - this said, I'm the kind of idiot that tried being nice to sewer rats early on, only to get chased off a three-storey drop Image). I just wonder if this was under Willem's watch, or after he'd begun to vegetate. Even Simon, who pulls no punches WRT the thuggery of Bergy+Church, only gives a sardonic nod to "the spirit of Byrgenwerth."

Later on I tried out my new Broccolihead skin, and was treated to further wrathful murmurs, plus the Cursed Brew's lore. (a nice reward after trying similar with Beasthead vs Djura - he'll shoot you on sight, beast or not :lol:)

Further reminiscence~ I remember trying to fight the Neo Yarghy Gank Squad three-on-one, back then, and surprisingly enough almost succeeding, albeit burning through every last resource on me. Killed one, had the others at death's door when I got whacked going for the kill. Now I'm like PFFFFFF - DOOM map = DOOM techs. Nice straight, narrow bridge right outside - let 'em chase you onto it, then fuckin riddle 'em with the nastiest munitions you've got. First is usually that crazy motherfucker Naked Beastclaws :shock:

Spoiler

^ Dude you were fuckin hardcore, but that "no armour" thing isn't gonna impress the ladies when WORMS EAT UR DICK Image

Shitbird #2 will chase you to Miggy's Orbital Laser Funhouse, which opens up some interesting options. I went for the simplest and most violent, because I need a break and BB don't pause for nobody. Image And then it's just one dude remaining, and 1v1 Hunter Duel ain't shit. Unless it's Crowy, which is some shit indeed, and awww shiet I just realised he's waiting for me up at ol' GC. Blimey the (non-DLC) endgame blasts wide open post-ROM.

I love Neo Yarghy's nonstop hardcore killathon, though I wish we got to go indoors a bit more - that said, it'd among BB's most creepy and enigmatic places even viewed from the sandy, horror-wracked streets - RIP Sacky-kun, they fucked you guys UP :shock:

Quite the impressive Wanking Claw on Sacky, there. Incidentally, when sent sprawling via V-ATK, they're revealed to be wearing No Pants, AND have No Junk - just like Brainsuckers! Dark Science be afoot, imo :o

Spoiler

^ I noticed lately... these apparently despairing figures seem to be Mensis dudes, sans their cages? These are in cells, several more are found amongst the "common people" in the streets below. Hmm. Also, Yarghy looks old. Not the skeletons, they have any number of supernatural explanations... I mean the weeds and sometimes trees growing up through the stones. Looks like nobody's taken care of the place in forever.

Spoiler

^ Caged Menzies chillin' in their usual Stillborn Brain stylie.

Spoiler

^ these "burning bath" dudes aren't there, on your first visit... so did shit go down fast when the Blood Moon showed up? Or was it simply revealed? Then again, the "paleblood sky" note is there the whole time. Aaand on that note, imma pull a Gehrman and stop thinking too hard while I go kill a few beasts. It's wot 'antas do!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Ahh the Bowblade. Had it been invented for real in the late 1800's it would have been a true marvel of engineering.

I have two characters - my level 150 skill who I run the pick on (with some excellent adept thrust gems courtesy of a lot of farming - not the best but 31.5% is good enough) who I really like. He does one thing well at a respectable bl and does it very well.

My other guy is 272 and more of a jack of all. EDIT - 99 20 11 99 75 18 are his stats. I forgot I took skill all the way.

Probably 50 skill and 75 blood with Bowblade and Evelyn. I made the 150 guy cause I realized I wasn't really using the bloodtinge weapons. That said I love how the bow transforms, probably the coolest trick weapon in the game. That said I prefer my 150 character even if things are getting a little harder. I may go hunt for poor mans gems..

I love the gank fight. I've done it once legit and as luck would have it am at that lamp once again. I'll let you know how it goes, but my guess is I'll start it in the open and wind up looking for cover. Would be cool if they followed you to Paarl's graveyard.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Been wanting to fire up Bloodborne again thanks to BIL's journey. However, right as that was about to happen, a friend offered to loan me his PS5 and so I picked up Demon's Souls for that. Rolled through it over a couple of days and finished it last night. It's a pretty great remaster. 60fps, beautiful visuals, some nice quality of life improvements (fast loading!), and it's extremely faithful overall. That said, despite the amazing job Bluepoint did with this, at the end of the day it's still just Demon's Souls. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on how much a fan you were of the original.
bcass

Post by bcass »

It's an above average remake, but unfortunately Bluepoint completely dropped the ball with the online component, which is now almost completely dead, and has been for months now. Really sad that they decided to split matchmaking between so many different regions.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Boof! Loop 7 reach. Splendid time all-around. Image Gonna try to stick to five heals or less for this last go-round's bosses. Only main story duel I'm still a bit shaky on is That Bitch Larry, and maybe Kozmo if he really loses his shit in Phase II.

Stevens wrote:Ahh the Bowblade. Had it been invented for real in the late 1800's it would have been a true marvel of engineering.
Was my desperation pick vs Loop 1 Larry's YMCA antics. :mrgreen: While I'm a tad disappoint in myself that I've not moved onto a decisive Phase 2 finish, I figure it's only been a month or so, and he seems like a universally despised boss. In the meantime, being able to move while returning fire was a revelation, so it's been my constant sidearm since Loop 2 (specifically the Lost variant, which lets you cram on a bit more Blood damage). Particularly useful for whittling down feral Chalice mobs, before busting out the Trick Pick for a proper mowing; also for assassinating a priority target in a crowded room, while staying just outside of clawing hands / swinging blades. (who'd have thought the Oedon Chapel bro's cousins were such a pack of assholes? :shock: been snipin' em heartily this evening, down in FRC Pthumeru)

That's right asshole! I took out all your dudes, AND you're fresh outta OBLIVION HERB (■`w´■)
Spoiler

Probably 50 skill and 75 blood with Bowblade and Evelyn. I made the 150 guy cause I realized I wasn't really using the bloodtinge weapons. That said I love how the bow transforms, probably the coolest trick weapon in the game.
Transform combo is amazing - I usually do it by accident, since I'm loaded up with Durability Down gems (projectiles are exempt), but I always stop and say goddamn. :o Simon was a cool cat, shame he got taken out by DingDong. You don't wanna snipe him! Get up in his face and dump the clip! Speaking of...

LONE JUSTICE (`w´メ)

(does Brador think we're someone else? ARE we someone else? Hmm. Also, I deliberately waited until I'd finished the matter on the coast before heading to the cells, this time - doesn't change the dialogue any. Still, feels more complete fighting his three phantasms en route to The Most Unsightly Secret)
I love the gank fight. I've done it once legit and as luck would have it am at that lamp once again. I'll let you know how it goes, but my guess is I'll start it in the open and wind up looking for cover. Would be cool if they followed you to Paarl's graveyard.
Ah, goddamnit - I'd not even considered luring them into ParlTown, would've indeed been the perfect spot. Dudes know what's up, playing by DOOM rules, knee-high fall = point of no return! I'm going to go for another arena showdown in Loop 7 - I suspect I'll end up Bowblading at least that crazy naked motherfucker, but my usual routine's gotten kinda comfy.

Oho! I got my very first One Shot Larry. Wasn't very clean at all, five heals to get him to the floor. However, it represents a minor advance in my patchy Larry knowledge: I finally figured out WTF was going on WRT his headshots. Broken limb = Larry heals = headshot refreshed. I guess this goes for his cousin Ricky too? So having chaliced all afternoon, I rigged up me HMS for XTREEM blunt damage, and went to work on the noxious fucker. Got the complimentary V-ATK, then did his right leg (BLOODLETTING stylie Image), then his left, and so on.

And then he fell over on me. Oh you! Phase II remains nervy, I even got CameraFucked twice. My 3xMaxHP runes and Charred Hoonter gear kept me surprisingly non-dead, escaped both CFings with 50% HP. Ah jeeze, what a mess. Was kinda nervous tbh, this was my very first attempt with the Dank Sword of Bluntness. Anyway, happy enough, I hate this cunt. Or rather his room. >_<

Just prior, had an inadvertent quasi-Phase II skip on poor Kozmo. Found the ultimate Clawmark down in... Loran FRC, I think? Decided to give the triple stack a shot, combined with (non-Blunted) HMS. As long as you keep the pot-luck shots to a minimum, you can stave off his Phase 2 meltdown consistently.

Lack of boss practice kinda burns my ass, I'm no more consistent at Phase 2 than I was in earlier loops... sometimes it's like I'm doing a header into an industrial car crusher, others, I can get him staggered and beat down. Hm. Backup file candidate #1, just ahead of That Bitch Larry. Those times when I'm wailing on him while he phones mom are unironically SSS-tier voice acting. Or voice processing, audio design, etc. What a picture of anguish. Image

(speaking of, the Body-Beater Madmen - never looked at their idling animation before, it's something :shock:)

I think what I'll do after Loop 7 is, start a new character, clear the first loop, then back up the save. I'm looking forward to seeing NG again, but I also like the massive spread of options you're left with postgame. And the loops don't change all that much, tbh, at least not if you're getting all the kills and loot you can. (I've made a point of not grinding - god knows Mergo's Loft Middle with x3 Moon will give up .5mil a pop, easily - though I'm not sure how much EXP would even help... it seems Chalicing for gems is the way to boost damage output, and DEF is apparently thin on the ground. but OFC, you get tons of heals and runes to help ensure you're the last beast standing)

Will keep my ongoing Loopapalooza for Happy Happy Fun Tymes - such as damage-racing Marny-chan's Phase III explosion before it blows my head CLEAN AWFF!

> A spirited race to the foot of the garden ends in tragedy 3;
> Another bad creation leaving your good doctor's teeth littering the floor 3;
> A bad idea made good by sheer idiocy :cool: I should try this with Whirligig >_>
Austin wrote:Been wanting to fire up Bloodborne again thanks to BIL's journey. However, right as that was about to happen, a friend offered to loan me his PS5 and so I picked up Demon's Souls for that. Rolled through it over a couple of days and finished it last night. It's a pretty great remaster. 60fps, beautiful visuals, some nice quality of life improvements (fast loading!), and it's extremely faithful overall. That said, despite the amazing job Bluepoint did with this, at the end of the day it's still just Demon's Souls. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on how much a fan you were of the original.
Ohshi that sounds pretty good. :o I was a little sad to see there's no OG DeS on PS4, and I'm away from my PS3+the copy that's sat unopened for like a decade now. Ideally, I'd go back to DeS before DaS (planning to play the latter around winter, as-is). Might look into the PS5 version. From are among the very few names I'd pick up a new console for. Was much the same BITD with Otogi, actually.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

For Laurence sans legs I like to stay right up in his face, specifically just off to his right (your left) almost in between his head and shoulder. If you position yourself just so you can get him to kind of spin clockwise. It isn't a safe spot by any length, but it is where I feel the most comfortable in the 2nd phase. I try to spend as much time there as possible.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

You can play as Cousin Itt in Bloodborne?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sadly no :sad: However, you are right that the shabby big hair of Beast's Embrace, combined with the Beast Hide Garb, when viewed from behind, cuts a decidedly Ittesque figure. :cool:

^ a marginally more sightly beast

You can be a Broccoli-kun too! Get more loot AND promote healthy eating through ultraviolence! :o

Spoiler

Yesterday, I learned you can snap Yamamura out of his brain-wronging mania with a friendly BeastRAWR. (you can help out PICHUNTER the same way! RAWR him clean through the wall, and with proper angling, he'll land in the doorway. then chuck a rock at him, and let unfortunately charitable battle commence!) Sadly, our Sekiro-promoting friend will just keep repeating himself. :sad: Which opens up an interesting moral quandary - now you can't even say you whacked him to save his long-suffering brainbox! Ah jeeze. A tale of endless woe!

Spoiler

Stevens wrote:For Laurence sans legs I like to stay right up in his face, specifically just off to his right (your left) almost in between his head and shoulder. If you position yourself just so you can get him to kind of spin clockwise. It isn't a safe spot by any length, but it is where I feel the most comfortable in the 2nd phase. I try to spend as much time there as possible.
Cheers, will definitely give that a shot. :smile: I haven't had any luck attacking him from behind - relentlessly stunlocked by lava gore - but I know from seemingly-unassailable guys like Abby and his Super Value Size counterpart Bloody that your o'clock positioning can radically alter things.
Austin

Post by Austin »

bcass wrote:It's an above average remake, but unfortunately Bluepoint completely dropped the ball with the online component, which is now almost completely dead, and has been for months now. Really sad that they decided to split matchmaking between so many different regions.
That's a shame. I basically left the console offline so it was a completely solo experience for me, which is how I typically play the Souls games. I know the online component is huge for a lot of players though, so if it was botched, that's a bummer.
BIL wrote:Ohshi that sounds pretty good. :o I was a little sad to see there's no OG DeS on PS4, and I'm away from my PS3+the copy that's sat unopened for like a decade now. Ideally, I'd go back to DeS before DaS (planning to play the latter around winter, as-is). Might look into the PS5 version. From are among the very few names I'd pick up a new console for. Was much the same BITD with Otogi, actually.
Yeah, From has basically turned into a, "Oh yeah, I will a buy a console just for their ONE game" company for me. Sorta glad I got to borrow a PS5 for a few weeks though and get my DeS "fix" that way. It means I don't have to actually buy a console for a while. :P
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

With the remnants of Ida bearing down on NY I plan on playing through the dlc tonight. Even you Laurence..

Cainhurst is also still waiting for me. I dig that once your character is complete you don't have to worry about being over leveled as you progress through NG cycles. It's all good.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Stomped on Ludwig and the Church Hunters. Went right through all three.

Died like seven times to the first group of patients. Ha! Once I got passed that hurdle I downed the Failures on my first try. It was admittedly a very intense affair. I <3 Lumenflower.

Maria took me a few tries and then I stopped there.

Oh - gank fight in Y'hargul. Amazing. Engaged beast boy and shit was on. Kited them up the stairs by the broken lantern and then back down the other side back into the main area. Was able to keep all three in front and scored a few viscerals. Back to the other side where the cannon hunter starts - used the two pillars to give me a little breathing room and then back out to the main area where I finished the last one off.

There was also a hair raising engagement on the stairs in the Research Hall. Those three freaks, no railing. I don't know how I didn't die.

My options now are Hamlet, Cainhurst, or Lecture Hall.
BIL

Post by BIL »

So easy to die in the Research Hall, those fuckers hit hard (and weird). I like to think of them as terrifyingly strong - like "amble up and rip a redshirt's face clean off his skull," Kirk n' Bonez know Shit Done Got Real :shock: - but OFC, also pitifully insane.

I see a lot of players claim they're blind, and you're meant to approach RH like a Blue Elixir-fuelled stealth stage. I don't know though, seems overcomplicated and disaster-prone. Adeline and Co do appear sightless, but as for hostile Patients... it's only the Headless three I'll get near, with a swift backstab following. Otherwise I'm in methodical killer IKARI mode. Image If I catch them alone or in pairs/threes, I gamble on wiping 'em out with a quick R1 chain apiece, one eye on beating a retreat if things go to shit. My usual crowd reaper via Trick Pick R2 is too risky, with their bizarre windups - I'm all Straight Pick/Straight Saw there.

Straight Rakuyo R1 Chain seems effective too - the big opening swipe will catch them out of whatever crazy antic they choose, and the followup stabs won't miss. I always get a sense of impending disaster, though, wielding a stylish blade against such wickedly punishing foes, so I keep to my usual dependable duo.

Some small mercy in their happy-slappy combo, easy V-ATK provided you're not fighting up a stairway. As for those massive gangs roaming the upper floors, I snipe at distance and bottleneck up close. Wading in seems like certain doom, even by BB's usual harsh standard. There's a really nice vantage point to let the horde file out of the Bottlechucker Balcony room, though I usually sneak ahead of them, then use the door/outside hallway to snipe.

I usually Beast Roar the TOTES HYPER stairway trio - actually, I can't remember the last time I gave 'em a fair fight :oops: :mrgreen:

Probably my favourite area from pure action/adventure standpoint. There's an impressively winding killathon packed into its tight confines, and I always enjoy reassembling the (surprisingly elusive) path. A ton of variety in its combat, despite the Patients' common uniform, too. Good Hunter Duel as well, and the Failures are a great sendoff with their show-stopping Weird Fiction style.

Apparently the common Patients do only blunt damage, so it's also a good excuse to bust out the Top Hat. Image
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

All this From goodness got me to reinstall Sekiro. Apparently I had started over (from NG+5) and am currently in NG+. Was back at
Spoiler
the castle. Killed Owl and then I raced to Fountainhead. Took me a few tries to down true Monk

Might dip into the boss rush later.
BIL

Post by BIL »

DONT RUN UP ON ME SACKY-KUN (■`W´■)
Spoiler

These guys scale up hard. I don't think I've ever seen them do less than 50% HP a hit. An enduring threat in V-ISM aka RAEG MOED - though OFC, also an easy backstab target, thanks to same! He merely calls upon The Fury. Any Hard Gaymer worth their salt devoured it to the bone long ago. Image Got smacked in the mouth? Don't be a bitch, mind your six.

Endgame Spoilers:
Spoiler
Up way too late clearing out the OG storyline, I thought I'd try fighting Gehrman before moving onto The Old Hoonters. Stupid, in hindsight. I still don't have much grasp of fighting him at 5 heals or less. I'd thought of him as an easier Maria - a flashy slasher who's prone to magdump parries. But in recent loops, Marny only kills me if I let her drive me back, where I'm easy prey for Phase II & III's FIRE N BLOOD quickdraws+divekicks. Up close, aggressive Evelyn checks her advance, and brings V-ATKs galore. Since I'm not getting hit, or using much stamina, 3xClawmark brings a quick end to it.

Once Gehrman does his Dave Chappelle holler (YAAaAaAAAAA), he can likewise no longer be bullied by Beast Roar - but staying in close seems riskier, with the Burial Blade's tricky quasi-grapple. WTB boss practice, as ever. What an enigmatic fellow, on the battlefield and off. Was tired and, unusually for my solo game nights, a few beers in when I finally heard his napping dialogues.

Please... Laurence, Master Willem, anyone... unshackle me...

Jesus fuck! Image He sounds like one of the Black Cell patients in the Research Hall. But then, there's his sinister chuckle when you reject the mercy he longs for. I guess that's his younger, HOONTIER self waking up. Gotta have some latent bloodlust to take a motherfucker's head off clean, never mind that business at the Hamlet. Image

(the way his "Oh! It doesn't matter..." syncs with his getting up from his chair, like he's pulled his back, disturbs me more than anything in BB besides Big Mensie the giant spider :lol:)

"Dear oh dear! What was it? The hunt? The blood? Or the horrible dream?" Good question. In human terms? Yeah gramps this place is vile, Big Mensie makes me shit me fookin briefs even when I demolish him without taking a scratch. As a HARD GAYMER, though? TBH this place is fuckin rad. :shock: I want to perfect my outmaneuverings of deadly foes, smashing them into bloody ruins with impossibly swift blows of me fookin godhammer. Chalice diving for high-end augments never gets old, either! Let us go out this evening for pleasure, the night is still young. Image DONT JUDGE ME GRAMPS

Looking forward to Dark Souls - I've no doubt it's amazing, only saving it for Winter due to work+daylight - but its medieval gloom doesn't pull on me like BB's NeoVictorian x Weird Fiction: Hard Quickstep FASHION Killathon. With OG DeS off the table for now, if not for Das1's sterling renown amongst so many trusted Shumps Bros, I'd be tempted to move onto Sekiro. Watched a bud play bits a couple summers back, pretty sure a monster fists your arsehole in that one? That's authentic Nihon lore! Loved the IREMesque necro-feudal styling.

Anyway, was all set to Mark Out of Moon Prez - but was so out of it, I forgot I'd only scarfed one friggin Cord. And here is where the true master of this Awful Dream was haplessly revealed. IT WAS ME ALL ALONG :shock: As when Prez went to mongle me, I yanked the power cable out of my PS4. :oops: :lol: I'm an asshole. v_v Rebuilt DB after, I thought I'd have sold this little bastard on years ago, but it turned out to be an invaluable home arcade platform.

If this happens (you get similar results by Quitting To Title immediately after Gehrman dies), the garden gate will be open on your return - sans Gehrman or Nightmare Fog, Moon Prez descending when you enter. Creepy. Though not as cool as what you get for dying/Marking Out, with the black sky and blood moon over the Dream, and Prez visibly waiting out back by the tree. Anyway, onto DLC.
Messed about with a few different approaches to Crowy. Was curious to if bulldozing him with HMS might work, like it does with lesser Hoonter X Hoonters. Yeah, no. Image

THE WAGES OF MASHING (`w´メ)
Spoiler

Straight Pick's R1 chain seems to have a distinct edge against Crowy. The stab/swipe loop keeps him evasive, dealing damage while staving off his dreaded Repeater. He can't withstand Parl Fist, and the Grand Cathedral's nooks are wickedly hard to escape (to the player's chagrin, versus Larry) - so in the interests of Science, I gave him one of the stiffest thrashings I can recall. One heal, landed a V-ATK, then blasted him into a corner. Would be nervous to try in a one-life attempt, though. Managed a straight no-restarts kill a couple loops back, was shaking like a leaf.

Don't feel bad, this prick will put two in your fuckin head (`w´メ)
Spoiler

Saw That Bitch Mico do something new this time: brought a Puppet Bro into the final arena with him. I never go for Mico Cheese, even if his own AI sometimes seems to sabotage him. This OTOH was a bit rude. :evil: Tried in vain to snipe from above, smelling a 1HKO rat. Eventually decided to hop in, and 1HKO fuckery was indeed attempted; though a learned Parl Fist counterattack destroyed the fence-faced assclown. Puppet bro did goddamn 50% with the one swipe he managed while I butchered his boss, oof.

It seems Mico's Japanese title is nearer "Lord of the Nightmare." Hm. I'd already decided Mergo was far less culpable in all this than some suggest - I don't think his personification as a wailing infant was any mistake, the ultimate hapless attention-getter - but that further convinces me. Mico seems like a would-be usurper, knowing full well that whatever he's up to isn't going unnoticed. "No-one can catch us! No-one can stop us now!" Neo Yahargul is a veritable fortress - snipers and tanks dominate the streets, buildings teem with lurking killers, and I suspect 1Reborn is no honoured guest, just a prime military asset for smashing intruders to paste. Also, The Brain; looking less willing visitor, more jerry-rigged security grid, complete with emergency kill-switch. And the Chimera Beasts, who drop Beast Blood Pellets. Old Yharny's wolves do, too, and the Corner Beggar avowedly loves him some BBP, but unlike them, I don't think the poor bastards forming the Chimeras had the option to decline.

I really dig the implication of Mensis as the utter antithesis of Willem's adage. Not only do they not fear Old Blood, they murderously appropriate every bit of eldritch might they can. No surprise Neo Yarghy and Mensis are the closest BB has to stock "evil lairs," though like everything else in this world, they're warped far beyond convention.

I've come away from BB thinking of From as exceptionally good Hard Action designers, but outright brilliant storytellers and world-builders. It's not easy to nail such a balance of hard text to troubling uncertainty, and it makes an already hugely replayable action game doubly revisitable. I hope Elden Ring is half as compelling.
Last edited by BIL on Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Yep, From are leaders in the field, at the very apex of gaming, and have been for over ten years now. Not only did they create a new genre, but they refined it to perfection with Bloodborne. They really do show the rest of the industry up for what it is.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Some great lore discussions going on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/com ... of_mensis/

I love how the whole thing is one giant puzzle. You use as many pieces as you want to.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gentlemen, (`w´メ)

You ever whoop a Beast so hard they shit themselves in the street? :shock: Image

Also,

FUCK YOU LARRY IMMA WHOOP YOUR ASS (◎w◎)

Definitely something to attacking the right crook of his neck, thanks again Stevens. :mrgreen: Was happy enough to cut and run, but combined with a clean Phase 1 takedown, I could see him being killable in my favoured five heals or less (Blood Bullets take the lion's share of vials, via my usual safe Bowblade strat).

Went with the Dank Sword of Bluntness, more of a superstition than anything. I wonder if the Saw or something else serrated is better - maybe for Phase 1's limb breaks, too. Ricky shrugged off Blunt HMS, after, but was demolished by Beastpilled Bonesaw. (god damn - RIP Ricky, but check out that perfect parallel squat technique on the whiffed grab!) Comparing the game's first optional boss VS its last, ofc.

Never did get the Kozmo one-shot, but Sharp HMS did net a three-heal. I suspect with a little luck, the Phase 2 skip (or near-skip) could be consistent. All about parrying him with high ATK and minimal hits, so he doesn't lose his shit with 40% remaining. Still a lot to learn in Phase 2 proper, but I can just about hang on while landing backstabs where they fall.

Got a bunch of one vial-or-less kills this loop, too; quite happy with my boss progression. I don't think BB is as enjoyable when played ultra-strict, so I didn't deliberately go for no-heals. The bloody-nosed clashes and clawbacks are too fun, as personified by the precision ultraviolence of Marny-chan. I'd still like to get more consistent at Larry and Kozmo, though.

(I'm reminded of the essential counterbalance to roughhousing; that is, there are certain attacks you absolutely cannot afford to trade with. Marny possessing several, but my favourite being...)

LARIATOOOOOO
Spoiler

^^^ the audio+posture cue on that is sooo good ^__^ Feels like sidestepping a freight train. Or Stan Hansen. That possessed bellowing is branded on my brain, never really processed the ground pawing until making that GIF.

Ah, anyway. A good ARPG is for life, not just for Christmas. Loop 8 plateau reached, Mission All Over, for now. What a ride. Image

Yeah I think so tbh DollyParton-chan Image

Die Endstatistik von Herr Doktor Biruford Image
Spoiler
Misc. Notes / After Story of The Great Adventure Of Dr. Biruford Image
Spoiler
Levelling: Generally, levels don't seem to help much beyond 50. I'm sure VIT let me cling on, but Loop 7 Central still had me at ~4HKO, and common enemies could easily capitalise for 50%+. Up too late, one of the Bag Bois outside Marv's counter-punched me for 95%. I wish I'd recorded it, but at the time, I wasn't even surprised. All of my favourite hard 3D action progresses towards high yield / high risk: DMC1, DMC3, Shinobi NTSCU, ZOE2 Extreme, Ninja Gaiden Black. The glass ninja whose best defense is calculated, explosive offense is an esteemed companion.

As for ATK, my gains past Loop 2 were Depth 5 FRC gems (current best 26.7%; can't recall its penalty), and learning how to leverage BEASTMODE (x3 Rune V-ATK with even a little meter = boss lifebar demolition). A bit of element optimisation helps, too - Beasts, cut 'em, Kin, burn/bolt 'em. SKL and Bloodtinge were almost entirely Larry-driven; the former trailed off when I realised arrows are 100% Tinge. Besides Kozmo, Larry was the only non-Chalice boss still scaring me by the end (as in, "might need half an hour for this prick"), so I used basically all of Loop 6 mooning up me tinge. :oops:

Just like DEF, none of this is a free pass. Tactics and execution are key; loadout merely ups your dividends. END was a concern at times, but besides having x3 Stamina runes, Beast Roar is an effective stopgap VS man-sized foes. I wasn't beating on bosses for much longer than my bar allowed, besides. In hindsight, would redistribute a bit from VIT, STR, SKL and Bloodtinge apiece.

MUH GEAR Image Right hand: Saw/Pick/Bowblade. Two blood-simple wreckers, Saw for speed, Pick for stopping power, plus a mobile shot for crowd/pest control. Got into HMS late Loop 6, when I wanted absolute ATK on Kozmo, and a bonebreaker on Larry Phase 1. Fun weapon, besides! The way its R1 chain unceremoniously bulldozes crowds and corners is addictive. Its Straight charge shot's long reach is great at snagging backstabs, too.

Speaking of rangey backstabs, Rakuyo got some use in the middle loops, though I shifted to plainer Saw/Pick as my strategies matured. Could certainly see it standing in for Saw, if it really came to it. Whirligig Saw and Burial Blade look spectacular, and beyond them, I've basically not seen anything else. I'll be coming back to this toybox for a while. Image

Left hand: Pistol, then Evelyn. Past Loop 1's occasional Bone Marrow snipes, I never used firearms for damage - these two are AFAIK the game's quickest draws. Doesn't need to pack a punch when it's gone in their fuckin eye. Image I suppose that goes for a lot of things! :o Evelyn performs identically, has that Cainhurst frisson (cute firing animation!), plus higher Bloodtinge scaling, so I kept it to the end.

I wondered about Gratia's wickedly staggering liver shot, but didn't feel confident sacrificing V-ATK just yet. Definite point of interest for future runs. I'd also like to experiment with the Flamesprayer at some point, mostly because #1 Summon Badman DEFECTOR ANTAL makes it look so cool. >>>Image FLAME OF THE DISSENTER Image<<<

I don't think I could handle either Cannon's massive ammo consumption, at least not without Runing it up. Love the booms, but for that cost, I need obscene payoff - bodies found in trees, on roofs, down the street, naw mean. Image Want to love Gatling just for the classic HOSE EM DOWN Image asfetic - but at BT90, it's still kinda weak. Needs Ash, maybe? A good fashion pick, at least - could see some cracking GIFs. :cool:

Clothing: Mostly Executioner's Garb, decent Phys/Thrust/Blunt balance. Switched to it from Yarghy Suit after my first run-in with Kozmo. Later I'd use Harrowed or Beast Hide for a bit more survivability (?), before returing to Executioner for new Loops. Reluctantly traded in my beloved Yarghy hood for Simon's hat - just too clear a boost. Kinda warmed up to the Piccolo cosplay since though.

Also had a handful of situational costumes. Parl = Henryk's set, will stop Bugzapper from snuffing you out. Winter Lanterns = Graveguard set w/low insight, lets me Bowblade them in relative leisure, at one Sedative + Vial apiece. Gaz's set is supposedly really good vs Slow Poison, but tbh I can't be arsed with Nightmare Frontier's lower depths, barrelling through to the pass and Miggy's plaza. Research Hall = Top Hat, best Blunt defense headgear. Larry = Charred Hunter garb with x3 HP Runes, will help you escape otherwise fatal tieups in Phase 2, though Phase 1's deadliest swipes/slaps remain ~2HKO-. I would've thought the Bone Ash gear would figure in there, but I seem to recall avoiding it, maybe due to Phys/Blunt concerns.

I never quite subscribed to the Fashion Souls mindset - even if only psychological, this stuff did provide some security to a first-timer - but just like Herr Doktor's anti-louse buzzcut and ballistic glasses, I'd have gone for the most boringly practical gear anyway. When it comes to war, practical is sexy. Image Not gonna cut too dashing a figure when nerve gas has made you shit your fatigues. Image

Tools: I learned to keep Beast Roar aka KOKUJUUKEN aka PARL FIST Image on the first Quick Use slot, at all times - even in situations where I knew I wouldn't use it, like fighting supermassive bosses (because I'd inevitably forget to re-equip it after, and run smack into something I wanted it for). Great versus anything mansized, also a good last resort when surrounded. I don't emphasise the latter use - the hitbox feels patchy, and positional prevention is the decidedly superior solution to swampings - but if SHTF, it can break the circle and buy you a sprint escape. Also great when you need to reach somewhere ASAP and some asshole tries blocking you.

Its real power is the knockdown-on-demand versus Hostile Hoonters, and even several mansized bosses. Blast 'em into a corner, land a long chain, tag a RAWR on the end while your stamina returns, repeat. Of course BB doesn't technically have ground stomps, but a combo starter timed to land square in a rising foe's face will suffice.

Otherwise, I didn't really bother with tools, at least in combat. Both types of Throwing Knife are great for tactically alerting enemies - far superior to the Pebbles (nice straight trajectory, and no stance shift). As weapons, they never did enough damage for me, even in the Henryk-style distraction the text suggests. Molotovs are slow, weak, and can walk you off ledges smack into the horde you're trying to burn. I like chucking 'em in Lecture Building Floor 1 (aka The Real First Year Simulator), a nice novelty.

The arcane missiles/bludgeons - Call Beyond, Augur, Executioner Gloves, Blacksky - seem to pack a punch, but at ammo and mobility costs that make me uneasy. I get why Souls fans complained at BB's relative stricture - even having not played any of them, I can tell the incentive on dash/slash is profound here.

Having said this, for all I know, these tools are atom bombs in skilled hands / PVP. I look at a good ARPG as something to return to, so I was happiest sticking to my proven shortlist for this initial pass.
Stevens wrote:Some great lore discussions going on:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/com ... of_mensis/

I love how the whole thing is one giant puzzle. You use as many pieces as you want to.
Indeed! It was the Victorian x Cosmic horror that drew me to BB; human science and reason pursuing things that respect neither. Now I'd also ascribe it an aspect of historical mystery; the broad civilisational strokes - Loran, Pthumeru, Yharnam - and close human connections alike (Gehrman's pleadings of Laurence and Willem). Less a linear narrative, more like watching a vast old diorama turning under torchlight.

(speaking of... early on, I'd wondered if Old Yharny's state wasn't down to some kind of temporal distortion, ala what seems to take place within Hunter's Nightmare. Now I suspect it's one of the game's more mundane locales, burning to this day because - per Gherman and Djura - it's become a killer's paradise.

I don't whack Djura or his bro anymore, but I can't resist burning down the church, shit takes me back to MGS3 >_> I don't feel too guilty though! Doing that directly jeopardises your chance of being Djura's BFF Image Beast bumps the flames while you're climbing the ladder hundreds of feet away? VIOLENCE IS IMMINENT

It hit me on this last loop, that the ground entrance to Harv's church isn't a door at all. It's a smashed window, with a gangplank running up to it. I adore Ol' Yharny's URBEX aspect, nowhere moreso than in the pandemonium surrounding that place. Image)

Endgame story spoilers:
Spoiler
I've come to think of Kozmo, the hulk fought on the coast, as a creature of the curse; the harmless ghost clinging to Kos's corpse, whose banishing grants a NIGHTMARE SLAIN (and a sparely conciliatory epitaph) being the real "child of Kos." Makes the Hunter's Nightmare more compelling to me, when resolution means facing not just the Church's ghosts in Ludwig, Maria and Brador, but also the ultimate incarnation of bad Hoonter karma: a peerless killing machine whose utter fury makes the Blood Drunk Hunters look like a basket of mewing kittens. Even sustained by Dream, unlike poor Simon, it can't be nice getting smashed to a pulp by that thing again and again.

Got this on my mind as, like Beastwig's ground paw, I'd never noticed until this GIF that Kozmo's head moves weird AF during his most superhumanly lethal attacks. Fitting for an enemy that sometimes seems to break the sound barrier.
Leapfrog into T-bone / quickstep and backstab
Spoiler

Straight Outta Baki / Crazy Motherfucker Named KOZMO
Spoiler

Spoiler
I get the feeling From were deliberately contrasting Orphan+Kos with BB's original NIGHTMARE SLAIN pairing, Wet Nurse+Mergo. A ghost child clinging to its deceased mother, the player obliged to drive it away to some better place; another pair seemingly kept apart, leaving unbidden once an apparent captor is destroyed. One that couldn't let go, the heart of a blood curse, and one that was held in place, seemingly as lynchpin of an eldritch conspiracy.

I also think it's notable that in a game so defined by vividly animated, sympathetic bosses (RIP Ebby), Nurse is singularly mechanistic. Even Parl, a reanimated skeleton, seems more alive - actually Parl's a bad example, he's the most gleefully crazed of the lot. Nurse moves and attacks like a motion-activated machine, or construct. Even vicious attack prompts little more than the recoil of a temporarily impeded automaton. Particularly in such primally affecting circumstances, it's a remarkably bloodless foe; one I'd find anti-climactic, if I didn't think the dispassionate juggernaut was fully intentional. Hunter's Nightmare has Kozmo, a god's wrath incarnate. Mensis Nightmare has Nurse, the last in a long line of faceless kidnappers.

And then there's the final NS pairing, Gehrman/Moon Prez, making the former's degradation - and potentially yours - all the more twisted. From human POV, anyway... who can really know the mind of Moon Prez? Way out there in the darkness beyond BB's sparingly-lit human diorama.
(had a fine jumpscare after my first hard-won Parl KO... maybe it was a glitch, but after accepting the Spark Hunter badge, I distinctly heard that evilly contented purring he does, when you stand outside his arena on rematches - spun the camera on reflex thinking he'd erupt to life once more, hard to tell with skeletons :lol:)

Speaking of audio glitches, noticed something in the Old Workshop last night. Caught the "laughing tree" on my first daylight visit (disappears with the Blood Moon, making me think it's related to the also-silenced NPC who owns that laugh, down in Foggy Alleyway). Didn't catch this, though, while standing in the doorway near the abandoned Doll. Sounds like the generic "in a dark place underground" ambience, like the whisperings you can hear in a few disparate locales throughout BB.

I guess it's a bit of a glitchy area - I've noticed similar in the Witches of Hemwicks' arena (the echoing boom of their Handcuff spell likes to stack, I've even had the game crash by letting it roar too long).
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

In my drunken rampage through Cainhurst Saturday night (where did my echoes go? Wait there's fog? I fought Logairus?)
I think I may have discovered a glitch. I Googled Church Pick Glitch but nothing came up.

Anyway it seems a two handed charged r2 into another charged r2 (slam into scrape) is bugged. The slam hits, but the scrape seems to miss 100% of the time. Can someone else please test?
BIL

Post by BIL »

I recall a few enemies where the slapshot would consistently miss - they'd leave the "pancake" state, and be in getup i-frames when it hit. IIRC, the big bruisers in Mergo's Loft (lower) might be one. With them, I'd always quickstep through to back and nail 'em with the Straight Pick's backstab (so good, the sweep on that thing - great at catching backs from odd angles).

I had put it down to Pick being a DLC weapon, and maybe not fully-vetted for OG enemies. Speaking of, I can't believe that floating statue cluster remains in the sky over my beautiful Ol' Yharny, patch pls :lol:

I think it's consistent to enemy type, as now I'm remembering the ol' Slam And Slap being key to my Bloodsucker strats. Quickstep to their flank! Those nasty, nasty fuckers will never escape the slap! (also, Pick has Righteous Damage, which they're weak to Image)

HOW CAN HE SLAP (◎w◎;)
Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I've really gotta upgrade that church pick next time I resume my journey to NG+7, now years in the making.
youze have convinced me.

stupid Let it Die event making me stay so long in that poopy game.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Super practical heavy reaper. Its Trick R1 chain (swipe/swipe/slam) tears through everything in a wide cone, great for lockon beatings while swatting meddlers. And the partial R2 charge covers damn near 180' in front. Great for pushy, mobby sorts:

Spoiler

Straight's R1 chain can overrun enemy evasion with its tracking, too - get Crowy in a corner and he won't be able to escape it.

Spoiler

(he'll blow your goddamn head clean off as usual, if he's got room to back up, but that's life innit ;3)

Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Interesting like... if you give players all these tools and useful movesets, they don't mean anything if you can always carve up enemies with ease.

and you CAN always carve enemies up with ease in Bloodborne... If you play perfect all the time. Maybe that's what makes it so satisfying? Where the slightest mistake or arrogance can lead to you rightfully eating shit.
Someone tried to make me interested in DMC series once by showing me combos or super stylish videos of bosses being blown up by a player. But it made no sense to me because I've never played it so i don't have a read on how hard that stuff is to do, or the price of failing to put it off.

Anyway***

This week in low-quality videogame tourism:
Iron Pineapple is at it again.

You may recognise him from such gems as " Hey guys, did you know King's Field was THE FIRST SOULS GAME!? POGCHAMP. "
and
"dude, the controls are like, bad! "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Iyh7mxr1E

This time we have - Hey look, there's a FromSoftware game that has GUNS!!! :o :o :o
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Back in Yharnam this Halloween weekend. Built a low level helper character.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL how the fuck do you upload GIFs to imgur even when i upload a gif it outputs as an mp4
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hmm... I've had a few people ask me. First, which link are you using? It should be this one:

Spoiler

If there's a "v" at the end of the URL, it seems it'll display as an MP4 instead.