From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Blinge »

dafuq. i can't get to those options at all

https://imgur.com/wDTJOWo

whatever
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

I change the .mp4 to .gif and got deeze :3

(love the bird bois' reactions when you're whacking their big homie :mrgreen: Sometimes they're all "NAWW, HE MUH FRIEN *PECKPECKPECK*" other times just "BWAAAARK?!")

That double backstab is so good Image I liek 2 finish em off with V-ATK for DAMAGE MOST OBSCENE

Hang on a sec lemme whip somethin up

Ok, so, I go from here (top-right, select "Images"):
Spoiler
To end up here, where you get the options I mentioned. I keep the below page bookmarked+pinned for EZ ACTION
Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

haha cheers birru. yeah maybe i need an account.

Yeah i love how they both get fucking Yeeted in opposite directions

This is my NG+4
Started the loop, grabbed my base church pick and immediately upgraded it to +10
gonna take this thing for a spin, baby.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Low level assist is dope. Easy to get summoned up to and including the woods (haven't gone further yet). Running Saw Cleaver and Beastcutter. The latter is massively fun and underused.

EDIT - Level 43. Beastcutter wrecks Paarl.
My lord, I have come for you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Well I've raced my way through NG+4 with the Church Pick

I think I have two big baller gems from chalices aswell, like some of the best physical damage increase gems.
I die very quickly, but so does anything I touch.
I haven't done any side shit, basically just rinsed the game in two sessions and will probably just go straight to NG+5, then do all bosses+DLC with church pick.

Shadows and Rom Jeremy are becoming a problem again. They might be a real pain in NG+7

Did you know one of the Twat Trio, the guy with the whip in Yaharghul.. can use the Tiny Tonitrus spell!? I didn't!

As for my final NG+7 weapon, I'm not sure what to choose.. i might have to go back to where I began, and whip out the Saw Cleaver once again.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:Did you know one of the Twat Trio, the guy with the whip in Yaharghul.. can use the Tiny Tonitrus spell!? I didn't!
That explains a lot! :o I've seen him use Tiny Tonitrus's attack before - but I'd assumed TT simply mimicked a special belonging to the full-sized Tonitrus. Figures I could never work out how to execute it, haha.

I could be wrong, but I think the Yargy with a Tonitrus guarding the path from Grand Cathedral might use TT, as well. Seem to recall something bolty occurring during one of our showdowns, after I'd ganked his bro as usual. I could easily be wrong, though.

I didn't really twig that hostile hunters carry their own Hunter Tools until quite late. I only found the Old Hunter's Bone at the end of Loop 2, so I'd assumed Crowy's dash was just something he did. I didn't realise the Beast Rune hostile in Hunter's Nightmare uses Beast Roar, either. Ironically, as he was where I realised how dominating it is VS human-sized enemies; was just trying to keep him from shredding me back in Loop 1.
As for my final NG+7 weapon, I'm not sure what to choose.. i might have to go back to where I began, and whip out the Saw Cleaver once again.
Saw is some good stuff right to the end, especially on Beasts when paired with Fire Paper and Beastpill. Which might be noob play, but IDGAF, I barrage first-run ARPGs without mercy. :cool: I got my best Beastwig+Knightwig takedowns in the last couple loops via that setup, although the latter isn't bothered by Fire/Serration (as he's no longer a Beastly Boi).

I started using a gemmed-up Ludwig's Holy Blade on Kozmo, the last couple loops, simply because I'd noticed he enters Phase 2 quicker, depending on how many times you've hit him - not how much you've damaged him. So, stunning+V-ATKing him exclusively can delay his transformation until he's ridiculously low on health, and I was looking for the biggest V-ATK bang possible. IIRC, its Straight form does pure Blunt damage, and I had some gems for just that. I actually got a Phase 2 quasi-skip this way. (I was ready for a break from BB at that point, so I decided to put off mastering Phase 2 for next time. Koz mkII is a goddamn nightmare Image)

Straight LHB worked well on Loop 6+7 Rom, too, with her buddies easily doing me ~95% a pounce (the one that's telegraphed by a quick side-hop). The dash attack lets you land a running broadside to her flank, and maybe a couple followups, before GTFOing.

Talking about Rom Jeremy reminds me of my one wish for BB: hands-free sprinting. The left stick's radius is like 80% walk... there's plenty of room to fit in [run] and then [sprint], freeing a thumb for right stick camera control. As-is, I found myself switching between orthodox and Claw grip with muscle-memorised frequency. It's not just for bosses, though they're the main concern. Being able to move at top speed while managing the POV is a lifesaver in countless other contexts.

If having to hold a face button to sprint is a deliberate handicap... I mean, Claw ain't hard to do. Doin it since 2002! Shinobi NTSCU represent. Ain't played BB in ~3months, just picked up my DS4 to refresh my memory, my index and middle fingers were on circle and R1 before I knew.

I'd nix the Negative Edge on quickstep/roll, too. It's a minuscule delay, to be sure - I only noticed it in the last few Loops, versus Larry. Some of his standing haymakers were giving me hell, despite my spotting them a mile away... eventually I twigged it, and simply Quickstepped a split-second earlier. Still, I don't think it needs to be there, other than because [sprint] and [QS/roll] all share the circle button.

(I saw some Reddit numbnuts claim the delay was "to emphasise strategy," and that it "made BB a true RPG, not just an action game." :| :lol:)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mother fucker. Image Compiling a stage-by-stage clip dossier for a guide I'm writing (edit: for another game), thought I should see if I left anything watchable on my USB drive before I nuked the bugger clean. My fuckin dick! (◎w◎;) A cheerful Tactical Espionage Action through Loop 8 Foggy Alleyway... everything that hooked me compressed into 1min11seconds. Now that is area design... REAL HORROR ACTION RPG Image And the fuckin panache! Just listen to the obscenely grinding, spark-showering *KCHNKKs* on weapon transforms, god damn.

Oh also, a better Kozmo Cheeze than the previous post's. A one-heal fight, with attempted Phase 2 skip that sorta worked out, mostly because THE CHEEKY FUCKER MOONED ME :O Or perhaps, he was just bungin' up to me for that werewolf CAULK! :shock:
Last edited by BIL on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'm in on the Elden Ring network test. I also just bought Bloodborne DLC. This will end up my next year of gaming sorted.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Marc wrote:I'm in on the Elden Ring network test.
Motherfucker! :O
Congrats
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

That's dope marc. Enjoy. No spoilers!!

Still been running around with my level 43 helper. Have cleared the main game through the Shadows. Great fun with the Beastcutter (took me two tries) and the lowest level I've ever beat them at in NG.

Constant summons everywhere except Central Yharnam. Ammy, anywhere in Hemwick/Torch Town, and Paarl is all but certain.

Oh, tried the Boom Hammer. Underwhelmed by its move set. The trick animation is cool, but not cool enough for me to keep using it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote: My fuckin dick! (◎w◎;) A cheerful Tactical Espionage Action through Loop 8 Foggy Alleyway... everything that hooked me compressed into 1min11seconds.
Loop 8?? hahah no one goes to loop 8!
No wait I guess that's NG+7 huh.

jesus fuck Birruton, you make this look like a 2D action gaym
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:jesus fuck Birruton, you make this look like a 2D action gaym
Sankyuu Image Image :mrgreen: BB has some utterly killer stage design. Never did I even begin to tire of refining them across the eight loops, seeing how far I could make it without warping home, and how audaciously I could break the hordes.

Not even BUTA-CHAN can resist carnage of such tactically calculating calibre :shock:
Spoiler

^^^ R.I.P. BEDSHEET GHOST HOMIE #5, WASNT SUPPOSE 2B LIEK THAT Image

...well, I eventually stopped bothering with Nightmare Frontier's optional poison catacombs full of Lanny-chans, but only because its overland areas were so much fun (and gorgeous, god damn). And I'm pretty sure the poison was trolling, besides Image Particularly with That Bitch Patches yeeting you into it, if you've not yet whacked him in the Lecture Building.

Ah, fuck. I totally forgot, I was gonna edit up a quick ULTIME BOSS BATTLE of me VS Patches, set to Apocalyptica's cello arrangement of Creeping Death for that august FromSoft air. :lol: (this was my other pick for The Theme Of Patches, obviously :cool:) Like all of BB's Nightmare-type spiders, Patches has vicious frontal offense, and can poop on you, but ain't shit once flanked. Image

Not so smug when I ram me +10 Hunter's Torch roight up 'e arsehole! ImageImage
Spoiler
bcass

Post by bcass »

I bought an Elden Ring network test key last week for PS5 (not ashamed) and can report that it's absolutely glorious. It was also incredibly generous with content. I played all sessions bar one, and now can't wait for Feb.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Jealous of you network testers, but also not jealous at the same time. I've limited my Elden Ring exposure to the trailer and 30 seconds of Vaati's test. That's it. Haven't looked forward to a game this much in years.

Low level helper is fun. Though I've been progressing through the game. Beat Ludwig at level 43 which is the lowest I've ever done it. Took a fair amount of tries.

Next are the two assholes before the Research Hall.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Low level helper is one of my favourite co-op builds in all From games. I went through Bloodborne (including all DLC) to create a BL32 co-op helper build with the Kos Parasite. Admittedly I didn't solo Orphan but it was still tough at BL32 with help, as was unlocking the FRC chalice dungeons to get to the best cursed gems. With some decent flat cursed arcane gems, it's cool annihilating early bosses in co-op with the fondlebomb.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha we want some pussy is theme of patches!?!

okay. I ain't mad at that.
I like how that video zooms in on a woman like " yes, this is what i like. "

Of all the torches up an arse'ole i've ever seen, yours was the most uncharitiably done, dear birru.
BIL

Post by BIL »

All in the wrist! At the end of the day, a wood is a wood. (^w´ )
drauch

Post by drauch »

Aye, and my Echo Night journey finally comes to a close. Finally sat down and made myself complete Beyond after going through the PSX iterations last year. And I only say "made" because the last time I tried it, over a decade ago, I was a huge coward. Now I'm dead inside and afeared of nothin'!

About twice as long as the previous outings and the most impressive. Of course most of that comes from the beefier hardware, naturally, but they went all out for this one. Much more in line with typically adventure games with the amount of puzzles and vague hints of what needs to be done. In the previous outings it's all very clear where things need to go, but you've got to be dead serious with paying attention to everything in Beyond, sometimes to a fault. A few things I absolutely missed because of how small and concealed they are, which is further obscured by your spacesuit vision and darkness and/or fog around most locations. In the other games it's usually one bad ghost, so you never get that bad of a feeling as you're searching the premise. The big change here is that potentially all ghosts are bad and will kill you (via heart attack if you're around them too long), but this only happens if said ghosts are in an area present with fog. The new mechanic here is accessing ventilation controls in each area to clear the fog so said hateful ghosts are no longer vengeful. Once calmed and fog-free they can be spoken to and will often give clues regarding items that will 'save' them, which again results in items (typically) as rewards to access other areas or to free other ghosts from their purgatory existence.

If you hate my guts don't read the next two paragraphs since I'll be complaining. There's two shit-ass parts in the game that threw me into a frenzy. Just straight up, what-the-hell-were-they-thinking odd design. One involves a meter that has to be stopped at a certain time while a ghost is near. The pattern is completely random, and according to the handful of guides out there, it didn't seem like a consensus was ever reached on where exactly this needs to be stopped. Through trial and error I eventually got it, but ohhhhh boy I was fumin'. Thankfully near a save spot. I'm admittedly a raged-out crybaby, so mileage may vary.

The next area of criticism I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that doesn't hate it. You're on the moon and move sllllllloooowwww. Comically slow, like the slowest I've ever walked in a videogame (really!). You're on the moon so I get it (kinda), so you've got to jump. There's no jump button, so you have to press Run. Once you jump you can't control your direction at all; go up and straight, that's it! If that was all to it I'd say whatever, that was annoying--but that ain't all! You gotta trek a bit from the last save location, go through some rafters (can hardly jump or you'll fly off the side and die), go through some gravestones (can't jump over 'em), then go up a hill (can't really jump up the hill!). Then it's ski-lift time! You have to make two butthole tight precision jumps, one from another ski-lift and another right after (no saving!), all while moving. You jump so slow that the lift you're currently on will catch up to you. It's dark, you can't see shit, you have no control--it's pure misery, no hyperbole one of my least favorite videogame moments. Wouldn't be so bad if the save was close by, but the arduous, lengthy trek just up to the potential two deaths is batshit crazy design. Otherwise there's nothing else like that in the game! Very bizarre, very bad. Hate over!

I love these games though, I do. Eerie and moving! The melancholic wails that haunt the halls fill you with a dread, yet simultaneously a sadness. You know all these souls just need help, and you get to learn about their plight that brought them to this spectral form. Finally freeing them from the purgatory can be quite moving, be it reuniting lovers, ghost cats with their owners, or even just getting someone alcohol (which happens in two of the games!). They're all unique experiences.

All three are worth playing in my book, but this one's probably the most accessible, even if it's the most difficult. Nobody in this thread would have any trouble with the first two with their King's Field layout controls, but I know convincing many others can be a chore. Superb stuff!

From what it appears, Deracine looks very much like a spiritual sequel of sorts. I picked it up last year but don't have a PSVR and don't really plan on getting one out of disinterest for more others things on the platform. A bud thankfully does have one though and agreed to let me borrow it to play through it. Hoping that adventure will be soon!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Glad you had fun with Beyond, but it was ultimately disappointing to me. That issue you mention of missing small key items happened repeatedly, it felt like I was playing a hidden object game. I combed that place for more than an hour searching for the last little chocolate, finally looked at a FAQ, and learned it was under one chair in a row of identical chairs.

I also missed the time travel from Echo Night 1 & 2. Being flung into different settings provided you with a change of pace from the haunted ship / mansion, and made it feel even more desolate by contrast when you were pulled back. Beyond replaces those with short flashback videos, so it's moonbase 24/7 (or whatever the lunar equivalent is).

The big plot twist really doesn't make sense either...
Spoiler
So the setup is that the main character - Richard - and his fiancee Claudia board a flight from Earth to the moonbase where they plan to have their wedding. As the shuttle approaches, some strange phenomenon makes it lose power and crash. Richard's knocked out, and when he wakes up, the other passengers and Claudia are missing or dead, and he has to investigate this ghost-laden moonbase to find her.

You eventually learn that Richard himself was director of the moonbase. Operations there were bleeding money, so in a Faustian bargain for the sake of capital, he used the evil red stone from the prior games to turn business around. So far, so good. I guess he went back to Earth to fetch his fiancee, the ghostly price came due while he was gone, so he was inadvertently bringing her into this haunted horrorscape caused by his inability to accept failure.

Plot twist! You find out that Richard was dead all along. He kicked the bucket when ghosts overran the moonbase two years ago and you've been playing as an android copy of him. Leaving aside how odd it is that the character who needs a space suit and who ghosts can scare into heart failure is really a machine, Claudia was flying up to be married to ANDROID Richard? Yet the ending reveals that Claudia's dead too, she stabbed herself with the red stone, and her dying wish for Richard to come back is what created android Richard. So did he never really fly up with her? But the other passengers remember the two of you traveling together! And considering that all contact with the moonbase was lost two years ago due to all its personnel suffering from an extreme case of life deprivation, why is there a regular flight traveling there like it's the most normal thing in the world??
I still love the theme, though. Ghosts on the moon! Not many games take a relatively realistic, contemporary-tech portrayal of spaceflight. And I think it's better than The Lord of Nightmares. Echo Night 1 is the only game in the series I can see myself replaying, however. It's basically the opposite of King's Field, where the PS2 installment is the one I'd go back to.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah that chocolate piece at first I thought was horribly placed, but in one of the 'recordings' it actually shows it roll under there. But! To see said recordings in the first place you have to be so damn diligent and must zoom in completely on little green marks visible on the camera to trigger the events. I don't think anything in the game ever encourages this.

And yeah, the ending is absurd, lol. I've been thinking about it a bunch and have come to terms with it, but I might be getting a few things wrong since it's so convoluted in the first place.
Spoiler
Obviously the space suit and getting scared to death as an android is the most ludicrous part. I would have loved to see the main character being a ghost, and the only way to free his ghostly form was to help everyone for his sins of the red gem, which would have made much more sense. But oh well!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

CHILLING mit MEIN HOMIE REDEYE_SAIF (■`w´■) At higher loops, for my money, he's as good/better a Hunter duel than Crowy. Doesn't have the terrifying Repeater headshot, but the combination of his Gehrman-ryuu step and the Trick Saif's vicious chains always tightens me knackers right up. A short, murderously aggressive contest, ERREH GATDAMN TYME

SHYAAAAAA! /Yamazaki
Spoiler

lmao, that Quickened Trick Saif R1. Take a mahfucka head clean off at range. Great punish+combo starter vs CPU duellists.

Just like Crowy, he's got weaknesses, ofc. Likes using Straight Saif, which is slower and easier to deal with. Though hilariously, its charge shot (the spinning backhand chop) is a 1HKO on counter. I've eaten it personally! Image

Only fired BB up meaning to grab a few caps/vids, but bah gawd - just like I'd recalled, each area is practically an arcade-style "ALL" unto itself. Get in, kill em all, no going home til they all dead! Ended up doing a total wipeout of Hunter's Nightmare, or almost, because my other best homies BUTTNEKIDVEGA, CHAINGUNNA_DJURASTAN, LILMARVIN_JR and WIGGEHMAYNE_THA_KILLA are all dead and don't come back. 3; So imma backup a save next time and copy for instant HN goodtimes ERREH TIME ;3

Research Hall and Fishing Hamlet ALLs work great too - man, typing this, I wish BB had an "arcade mode" where you could just select a stage, some minor build parameters, then have at it. Lock levels to something sensible, y'know. In MUH DREAM HACKZ, Foggy Alleyway would be st1. ¦3

I'M RUNNIN THIS MONKEY FARM NOW BIRDY-KUN (`w´メ)
AND I WANNA KNOW... ( ・`w`・)
Spoiler

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOIN WITH MY EGGOS (■`w´■)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Rejoice for the day draws nigh!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Let's fucking go
Steamflogger Boss

Steamflogger Boss

A little From salt to whet your appetite. I had someone try DS1 thinking they would like it. This is what happened.
Spoiler
I just can't even be bothered to actually address that post.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's the wounded ego sauce that makes it that more delicious or repulsive according to ones tastes..

.. see: my recent rage post about Ys Origin bossrush
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Whenever people claim sending the player back to a checkpoint after dying is bad game design, I always wonder what their proposed alternative is.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

Sumez wrote:Whenever people claim sending the player back to a checkpoint after dying is bad game design, I always wonder what their proposed alternative is.
Respawn on the spot ala Sekiro. :lol:
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Sumez wrote:Whenever people claim sending the player back to a checkpoint after dying is bad game design, I always wonder what their proposed alternative is.
This is something that I've been thinking about a lot lately. When I played every souls game for the first time, I never got annoyed with the checkpoint placement. Hell, I even remember getting pissed at Dark Souls 3 because there were a few instances where there were bonfires on a viewing distance from another. Then, after I started replaying the games, more often than not I got annoyed, because mainly I was running to fight bosses, so dying at the boss and having to make a 1-2 minute runback became quite a chore.

And this got somewhat more obvious to me when I played the recent Metroidvania Aeterna Noctis. The game is really hard (way harder than anything From Software made) and the checkpoint placement is brilliant the way I see. The gameworld is huge and every few steps has a very difficult platforming challenge. Dying is completely normal in the game, and it would become really annoying to beat every platforming hell section over and over just to get to where you were before. To solve this, the devs used an inhuman amount of checkpoints during the game, so you never feel that you're wasting your time or something like this.

After playing Aeterna, I feel that I'll be quite pissed with Elden Ring if I have to make big runbacks to get to bosses. Then again, I don't have the slightest idea on how this game's systems work, since I'm trying to get as unspoiled as possible before release.
LichbannMejolaro

Post by LichbannMejolaro »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:A little From salt to whet your appetite. I had someone try DS1 thinking they would like it. This is what happened.
Spoiler
I just can't even be bothered to actually address that post.

Well, I feel bad for the fella to be honest. I can understand someone getting extremely disappointed if the first place they choose to go is the catacombs. Even more if they find the bonfire there, then good luck getting out.

It's a bad experience that can make him skip the best series of games of this century.