From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Blinge »

Also playing
Demon's Souls ! again! ha

Yeah I just.. wanted to stream it but I can't run the emulator well enough on muh PC.
Doing the no rolling thicc boi run on DeS.
It's crazy how just doing 1-1 and half of 2-1 is enough to get you a +5 weapon, no farming involved.. just get the bag.

I went for 3-1 as my 3rd area clear.. Temple Knight class, Abjudicator Shield.. couldn't block any hit from Abjudicator. Just got knocked TF down. Gonna pump end, use the steel greatshield and try to build my char up more.

So went faith in the end so I could double up the Purple flame shield + Istarelle spear.
I'm not convinced that was the best choice but ah well. It's done now
Having to level so many points into INT just to have enough MP for higher level prayers? aaa cmon. that kinda sucks.

False King was the biggest problem for me. Not being able to roll really fucks with you in that fight.. his combo can guardbreak you.. generally most of his jump in or heavy attacks deal significant stamina damage and a bit of chip through the shield from his magic effect.
.. the worst thing..
... he guardbroke me into soul sucker... for the kill.

twice.

As a fat build, not using rolls... I could not evade the grab.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

bro wth i can't beat old king doran with this build :cry:

29 end. purple flame shield +4 or something. cannot block a single attack. i get guardbroke combo'd 2def
I totally forgot about this madness
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Old King Dolan is a real dick.
BIL

Post by BIL »

fr the iframes on that grab are some buuullshit:

Spoiler

Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Doesn't Old King Uncle Dolan have infinite poise or some such bullshit?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, +999 ROD, too :evil:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

i lost track of the timeline where Birru played demon solz :oops:

god that comic is so cursed hahah thanks for that
BIL

Post by BIL »

I've not, sadly, though I still have the sealed BEST VALUE FO FRENS copy I bought back in 2010 when you lads pinged me radar. :lol:

We'll get 'em in the end (PENETRATOR.WAV) young Burinju Image Image

Kinda tempted by that PS5 remake with quickload - contrary to popular belief, I hate loads! - but can't abide by the absence of my dear Miyazaki, aesfetics-wise that boy got a magic wrist. No homo! Oh, fuck this. MUCHO MUCHO MUY BIEN HOMO Image Now where'd I leave my gear. Aha! Here we go.
Spoiler
<333 rabu dat purgatorically longing mood :cool:

TBF Unca Scrooge kinda had that assrape comin', mans done some rank shit BITD Image

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ahahah I forgot that aaa.

Your gear.. oh dear. :lol:

I think bumming positions would be a bit limited right like.. wouldn't your wang chafe on that thing.. cause.. if you're standing up in doggy then gravity's gonna pull the board's RIM down onto your shaft lmfao. The slightest deviation would cause it to knock about and go diagonal and you don't want that?? or do you

1 solution would be for power bottom to get on top and do some reverse cowboy dickridin'
while bummer holds the no homo shield in place..

This is all assuming the no homo shield+10 doesn't make use of harnesses and other such ordnance.
..... and maybe in this situation it's "pump, don't push" ?? :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:The slightest deviation would cause it to knock about and go diagonal and you don't want that??
Not a problem, that's what the harness pass-through up top is for Image
This is all assuming the no homo shield+10 doesn't make use of harnesses and other such ordnance.
Bingo! Combine with an OSHA/HSE-approved girdle-style rig, to preclude any chance of a potentially fatal B-TYNG supercriticality! (so named for Dr. King's infamous exclamation, that fateful night he and brothers John and Robert Kennedy accompanied Norma Jean to her chambers: "Balls touchin'! Y'all niggas gay!" In the acrid fallout, all four would soon meet tragic ends!)

Trust me bro, it's worth the fifty quid! Otherwise, well - imagine risking an IRL boss duel to the death... with Miyazaki-san himself! :shock:

(I'd just wing him before diving out the window and legging it down the street - I like his games way more than I do my SuperStr8 member's discount card :cool: would be a bitch losing those free muffins at ASDA though :x)
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Stevens wrote:100% agree with Sumez here.
Spoiler
Certain late game areas/some late game bosses are balanced like, how you say? Like shit.
Spoiler
Yeah, the back third or so of the game really.
Sumez wrote:Trust me(/us), the further you get into Elden Ring, the less "balanced" it'll feel, and I think it's perfectly intentional even though it's sad how easy it is to completely miss the better intricacies of a lot of the later boss fights, since you can just pummel them. :)

I admire you not using summons though - I did the same thing myself. There's one really late game boss fight that I think seems designed entirely around the idea of you absolutely relying on a leveled up summon at that point, which is regrettable. Of course, I'm sure plenty of people have beaten it solo regardless. People do everything with these games. :P

EDIT: And of course any of the 50 other ways to cheese a boss could be used as well against it, so I guess I need more qualifiers than simply "solo'ing" it. But as I'm sure you'll learn, it becomes increasingly hard to draw the line before what counts as cheese in this game, and it's something many intense internet fights have been started over :D
Maybe instead of "solo" something like "fighting melee straight up" but that doesn't roll off the tongue quite the same.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Many souls games have a back third that's unbalanced, jank, unfinished or all three. DS2 is the only one I can recall that gets better the further you go. From stacked most of the really good content for DS2 in the DLCs and endgame areas. I guess one could make the argument that Bloodborne gets better too, but I prefer to think of Bloodborne as a game that starts perfect and stays perfect. Basically a flawless experience.

DS1 is probably the most extreme example of quality whiplash, with bosses like Bed of Chaos that scream "we ran out of money and stopped giving a fuck. Get scraped into this hole, lmao gg."
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Bloodborne and Sekiro are From's most complete offerings from start to finish.

My only complaint with Sekiro has always been you revisit a certain area several times during the game. Don't let that put you off though.

The combat though has no equal.
My lord, I have come for you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Aldia's Keep, Dragon Eerie, Visiting giant's dreams.. :lol:

In Elden Ling..
I actually struggled against 1 grafty boi
https://youtu.be/YsajK-1KdwE

also - how real men beat the Night Cavalry
https://youtu.be/8xQZrVIMDIw

I'm running an Armenian Hex build (hey alright) .. that is to say.. I have next to fuck all hexes and wasted stats in faith to be able to cast Rancor-call, which is a bit shit and does piddly damage compared to the fucking [soul arrow]
Lander

Post by Lander »

Textbook application of Jump Attack No Jutsu against Bin Bag Horse, even if it is from a cheatin'-ass magic user :P
Shame you only get the toy version of his badass flail, I'd have loved a full size great weapon version of that.
Stevens wrote:My only complaint with Sekiro has always been you revisit a certain area several times during the game. Don't let that put you off though.

The combat though has no equal.
Which area? The estate is the only part I remember that could fit that bill, though I've not played since release.
Agreed on the combat. The very first thing I did was bungle stealth and go straight for the perfect riposte, and it was love at first stab.

My gripe is that they should have let you slot more special moves, since it would have opened up some cool style opportunities. I think there's a cheat engine table for the PC version that hacks in button macros for such things, but I've never liked having to run a secondary program for the sake of mods.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Lander wrote: Which area? The estate is the only part I remember that could fit that bill, though I've not played since release.
Agreed on the combat. The very first thing I did was bungle stealth and go straight for the perfect riposte, and it was love at first stab.

My gripe is that they should have let you slot more special moves, since it would have opened up some cool style opportunities. I think there's a cheat engine table for the PC version that hacks in button macros for such things, but I've never liked having to run a secondary program for the sake of mods.
Spoiler
Ashina Castle. You start there trying to get Kuro
out. Climb it twice for boss fights and then climb down it at the end to fight Isshin.

It's a small complaint honestly.

Agreed 100% on being able to equip more than one combat art.Two would have been nice.
My lord, I have come for you.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Ah yes, I remember. With the surprise screaming :lol: I don't think I minded too much with the way things change later on.

On a different note, does anyone remember Lost Kingdoms? That card-based RPG for Gamecube - I played it briefly at a friend's house back in the day and was suprised to find out that From were behind it. Seems a bit lighthearted, though I suppose the existence of Cookie and Cream makes anything possible in that sense.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Lost Kingdoms is pretty good. It has a very typical From Soft gloomy atmosphere. It's not a super deep game or anything, but I enjoyed it. Not quite as keen on the sequel.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Compared to KF/ souls? yeah its a bit more colourful
but lighthearted it sure aint.

LK is the first From game I ever played, when I was a kid.
It's decent, I'd say it's even underrated. The casual/IGN tier response to the game was "durrr? it has cards so its a CARD GAME!! but it's not like my other CARD GAMES? wow it's bad where's the voice acting?
brb gotta eat some crayons "

I wanna make a video on it someday.
Lander

Post by Lander »

Buh buh the farting goblins tho :o

I'll have to give it some consideration then - it dwells in the same GC-exclusive mental corner as P.N.03 for me, and that game was worth digging through the low-tier surface appraisals to find the fun in.

I'll look forward to a Burinju No Magic Desu run somewhere down the line ;)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

already got one concept in mind..

The Skele Deck

bones only!!!!
ryu

Post by ryu »

Has anyone played Daemon X Machina and can tell about how it compares to Armored Core? Despite having heard only complaints about said game I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

I haven't got round to playing Daemon X Machina yet, I do own it on switch though. I think it looks great. It looks like the combat might be similar to AC 4 and For Answer from what I've seen, pretty fast paced.

Maybe I'll start this once I'm done with the things I'm currently playing.
Lander

Post by Lander »

For Answer is the closest AC game to Daemon X Machina on account of being Hyper Armored Core, but outside of the customization aspect I'd say Zone of the Enders is the more relevant touchstone to its fast flight-first gameplay model.

AC in general is much heavier feeling, leaning more toward the Real Robots subgenre than it does toward Super Robots. The customization is much deeper too - part weight affects the balance and handling of your mech, so you can build a real clunker if you're not careful.
Combat is a slower more tactical affair, not quite MechWarrior levels of terrain-wrangling milsim, but a lot more deliberate than the dash-in-with-a-sword anime of ZoE and DXM.

And it doesn't have any Monster Hunter influence in its metagame - missions and arena duels pay money, money pays for parts, and that's that outside of some scripted unlocks.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Elden Snooze tbh :cry:
Lander

Post by Lander »

How could you say such a thing about the best award-winning open-world GOTY ever made in all of human history :(
Spoiler
Yeah no I feel that. Legacy dungeons are tight, but there's just too much overworld wandering and delving through copies of the same chalice dungeon-y tilesets for it to be as appealing as From's more 'Legacy' entries.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Lander wrote:For Answer is the closest AC game to Daemon X Machina on account of being Hyper Armored Core, but outside of the customization aspect I'd say Zone of the Enders is the more relevant touchstone to its fast flight-first gameplay model.
Thanks. Now I know for sure to check out some of the regular AC games before deciding whether AC VI would be worth a PS5 purchase. I'm really liking DxM but have no experience with slower paced action games.
Blinge wrote:Elden Snooze tbh :cry:
I was enjoying my first playthrough for the most part, but I don't think I'll ever play that one again. It's just such a waste of time, all things considered.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote:Elden Snooze tbh :cry:
Just rush to the big city area and enjoy your time there - one of the best Souls locations ever made IMO. Just pay attention to what people are saying - there might be a lot more.... depth to the location than immediately apparent!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hm problem ain't the game. it's me.

the game didn't force me to explore every square inch of Limgrave and Weeping Penis until I was satisfied I had seen/killed all of it.

I was doing the same thing with Liurnia but I've decided now to just wander over to whatever looks interesting, and fuck the map. And also.. I'm there for a purpose, I've gotta head to the academy for some sick magic.. what would a Tarnished do? root around in the muck? or actually head towards one's mission.. ?
Lander

Post by Lander »

ryu wrote:Thanks. Now I know for sure to check out some of the regular AC games before deciding whether AC VI would be worth a PS5 purchase. I'm really liking DxM but have no experience with slower paced action games.
That's probably a good shout anyway, but even from the perspective of someone who knows the series, VI is a mystery until they show gameplay.

Things changed a lot in each of the jumps between the AC1-2-3-Nexus (old school, slow) / AC4 (more modern feel, still slow) / ACFA (maximum boost) / ACV (squad-based tactical downscale) arcs, so which of those they'll end up drawing on is up in the air.
Blinge wrote:Hm problem ain't the game. it's me.

the game didn't force me to explore every square inch of Limgrave and Weeping Penis until I was satisfied I had seen/killed all of it.

I was doing the same thing with Liurnia but I've decided now to just wander over to whatever looks interesting, and fuck the map. And also.. I'm there for a purpose, I've gotta head to the academy for some sick magic.. what would a Tarnished do? root around in the muck? or actually head towards one's mission.. ?
Eh, sounds like classic open-world syndrome to me: Walk out into the world in awe, lose yourself wandering for some hours, gradually realise the walk is actually a treadmill, then rush to enjoy the authored content before burnout sets in.

That whittling-down of player ambition from completionist to just let me finish pls is structurally endemic imo. ER is easily the best of the genre thanks to its refined mechanical core and authored content, but goes to show that even top-tier designers can't overcome the scale problem on a regular production cycle.