From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

When is KF3 Magic Only, Blinge? My body is ready. :V
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

When I..... when i record it. :shock:

What's interesting now is i've had a couple of people on reddit and YT comments saying " you should have done X differently " or one dude actually repeated the feat and wrote an essay on where he did things different.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You'll always get weird comments like that from the peanut gallery, honestly. I've seen some really dumb ones like:

"Good, now do it without any charge attacks." - on a No More Heroes video of Bitter mode vs Rank 2

"You should do it without back attacking ever, that'd be interesting" - on a Streets of Rage Remake run of Roo, who would literally be garbage tier/nigh-unusable if not for his Back Attack

"I thought this was a handgun only run, I didn't expect you to use crow feathers" - on a Bayonetta handguns only Pure Plat video of a superboss, user is complaining about a universal move available regardless of what weapon you're using and consumes valuable magic you have to earn mid-fight that also fuels butterfly shielding

Like, if you want to see it done with additional self-imposed challenges, do it yourself. The whole "congratulations but with strings attached" thing is just rude.
one dude actually repeated the feat and wrote an essay on where he did things different.
This at least is cool, it's neat to see other people inspired to actually tackle something and see how they handle it differently.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Good post, now write it in rhyming common meter.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

:lol:

Aw I've lost it now, but on my Garegga clear vid I had a comment saying " Good now do Armed Police Batrider. "

Linked him my existing batrider clear vid and he said " now do bakraid. "
BIL

Post by BIL »

Image Image
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

drauch wrote: Instantly went to Dark Souls 2:SotFS. Just finished Harvest Valley, which I'm hoping is the most miserable area. What's the general beef with this one? So far I'm just kinda bummed by the lack of unique-looking, non-humanoid enemies.
You know, Harvest Valley might actually be the worst area. It's pretty small and uninteresting as it is, but all of what makes it unique comes from the poison which I think most people wouldn't be properly geared for at the point they first get there, so it's really better to just run past it and come back to explore later.
Or are you including Earthen Peak as part of Harvest Valley? Because either they really screwed that up with the enemy placements in SOTFS, or I just don't remember having as miserable a time there. The area itself is really cool, but the combat is exhausting to say the least.
I don't think I'd ever want to play both the scholar and non-scholar versions back to back just to compare and confirm my impressions, but at least emotionally I recalled my original DS2 experience being a lot more backloaded with frustration in comparison, while that was more true for the early areas in Scholar, which definitely did ease up some of the more annoying boss runbacks in the later parts of the game.

DS2 really is a game that needs to be judged on its own merit, rather than compared to DS1. Especially coming straight from other Souls games, it's really awkward how many habits you need to unlearn to play it well. Stamina management is much more stingy, and even though shields are kinda OP in DS2, you can't rely on them once you've taken a hit.

Maybe it's not bad that you're playing it right after Shadow Tower, because DS2 really has a lot more of that classic From Software DNA than any of the other Souls games, and after realising that, it helped me appreciate the game hell a lot more. The areas are much more fantastical than in the other games of the series, sporting a lot of incredibly unique personality and design. So despite combat feeling awful every now and then, the game really has a lot going for it. You just gotta take it for what it is.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yep my bad, I did mean to include Earthen Peak as well. I got through it okay and eventually found that poison ring, but it seems like you find it a ways after you don't really need it. Honestly wasn't too bad, just a little frustrating with the absurd amount of poison pots and surprise enemies. Off to The Pit next I believe.

I've taken a very momentary break to get through Cyberpunk since I've been waiting on that, but I'm eager to jump back in. Still haven't played DS3, but this one to me started out the toughest, but once I found my footing I'm loving it.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, like most of the game it's not that it's hard so much as it's taxing and exhausting to constantly have to take care of additional enemy spawns and ambushes everywhere. Especially with the very limited stamina pool forcing you to constantly withdraw.

I do think that after this point, the game eases up a lot. At least in the SotFS version.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's not that it's hard but here's examples of how it's hard. :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:Especially with the very limited stamina pool forcing you to constantly withdraw.

I know that feel :oops: Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BURINJU you are now a star and now you gotta deal with what stars deal with on a daily basis. this is now your lot

you are the equivalent of a modern day rock star
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

FinalBaton wrote: this is now your lot
..running out of stamina in the heat of the moment? :oops:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

lol
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Blinge wrote:It's not that it's hard but here's examples of how it's hard. :mrgreen:
??
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Here's an admirable undertaking - a full remake of KF2 for PC, in the Moratheia engine!

https://swordofmoonlight.itch.io/k

Looks spot-on. I like that they haven't gone overboard in trying to "correct" the game's running speed. It seems to run more smoothly overall, but the ponderous pace is largely intact.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

New BB run, what weapon should I use

Logarius' Wheel
Rifle Spear
Stake Driver
Tonitrus
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Stake driver doesn't get enough love. R2 charge ftw.
My lord, I have come for you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Use the wheel. Dey c me rollinnn

I actually hate the stake driver, that thing can miss R1 attacks while locked on and pointblank range. fuck that weapon!
Steamflogger Boss

One Wheely Boi joined the hunt today.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

disclaimer the wheel sux and is awful to use. dash R1 with the powered up form is pretty useful though.
You can rev up once to squeeze damage out at the cost of HP, and rev it repeatedly for a bigger effect, iirc.
Steamflogger Boss

Idk I was talking to a mate about this and he said it's a fine weapon not even a meme. Right now he is doing DS1 SL1 shield only all bosses so you know he is sane.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

hahaha.
...wait SOUL LEVEL 1 TOO!?
fucking hell. nopenopenope
Steamflogger Boss

Yeah you can imagine how long most of the DLC bosses took.

So, I have some nuggets for you, my friends. A streamer I sometimes watch decided to try Bloodborne, I knew it was a poor match. He ended up quitting after about 30 minutes. He didn't get beyond the first mobs more or less.

Some of the hot takes

It's a game for children and not adults because it doesn't tell you exactly where to go and you have to figure things out yourself.
Not being able to dodge infinitely and having it tied to stamina is BAD GAME DESIGN. In fact the BGD boogeyman was thrown around a lot.
Steamflogger Boss

The wheel is great blinge is a god damn liar.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha oh how far in with it are you?

I feel like wheel's better than the stake driver or the godamn rifle spear but that it still blowz moveset wise.
I have killed Ludwig with it tho so dunno!
Steamflogger Boss wrote:It's a game for children and not adults because it doesn't tell you exactly where to go and you have to figure things out yourself.
Not being able to dodge infinitely and having it tied to stamina is BAD GAME DESIGN. In fact the BGD boogeyman was thrown around a lot.
Wow.. just wow. You got a link to a vod so i can get mad?
actually maybe i don't wanna watch. Saying it's bad game design because you can't instantly be good at it? people can be annoying cunts.

I know a casual ass gamer who tried it and screen-shared to me once and stopped playing because " i don't think it's fair that the enemies respawn. "
I never quite understood if he was confused by the mobs migrating around yharnam and thinking the enemies had respawned within 2 minutes.
Steamflogger Boss

The moveset is definitely chonky but at least it hits hard. Still pretty early so far.

Yeah not watching it is probably for the best. It was so short I believe he didn't even upload it to his youtube. For some additional reference this guy quit Hollow Knight (duh) and even BOTW (lol). Basically just doesn't want to be challenged at all and has more or less stated that, albeit in a somewhat roundabout way. Unsurprisingly he loved Witcher 3 and HZD.

Bad game design is a phrase that is thrown around too much in general by people that don't understand it imo.
Blinge wrote:I know a casual ass gamer who tried it and screen-shared to me once and stopped playing because " i don't think it's fair that the enemies respawn. "
I never quite understood if he was confused by the mobs migrating around yharnam and thinking the enemies had respawned within 2 minutes.
Yo dawg try Dark Souls 2 you can despawn the enemies. :twisted:
Steamflogger Boss

They see me wheelin' they hatin'.

Two more bosses down.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Is this on NG?
Hmm two bosses! very interesting, wish i knew what they were. :wink:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
So, I have some nuggets for you, my friends. A streamer I sometimes watch decided to try Bloodborne, I knew it was a poor match. He ended up quitting after about 30 minutes. He didn't get beyond the first mobs more or less.

Some of the hot takes

It's a game for children and not adults because it doesn't tell you exactly where to go and you have to figure things out yourself.
I'mma church pick that muthafucka.

Also -

https://fextralife.com/elden-ring-recei ... al-rating/

It's happening!
My lord, I have come for you.