Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Post by Sumez »

All fantastic ideas
Marc

Post by Marc »

Seems a Castlevania Advance collection has been leaked. Neat, I think I may have given up on CotM at the time, so will be interesting to try that out. Mind you, it's probably been 13-14 years since I played the other two now.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Marc wrote:Seems a Castlevania Advance collection has been leaked. Neat, I think I may have given up on CotM at the time, so will be interesting to try that out. Mind you, it's probably been 13-14 years since I played the other two now.
That's great news. I have played through all the games from Dawn of Sorrow onwards, and most of the earlier ones up to Symphony, but never got around to playing the GBA games. I just didn't feel like paying through the nose for loose carts. If the collection comes to Switch or PC, I'll snap it up in an instant.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

CotM is poopy dumb dumbs and don't listen to anyone who says it's good especially if their name sounds like BinalFaton!!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:CotM is poopy dumb dumbs and don't listen to anyone who says it's good especially if their name sounds like BinalFaton!!
I just remember giving up because I couldn't see a bloody thing on the original GBA screen.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Marc wrote:Seems a Castlevania Advance collection has been leaked. Neat, I think I may have given up on CotM at the time, so will be interesting to try that out. Mind you, it's probably been 13-14 years since I played the other two now.
That's great news. I have played through all the games from Dawn of Sorrow onwards, and most of the earlier ones up to Symphony, but never got around to playing the GBA games. I just didn't feel like paying through the nose for loose carts. If the collection comes to Switch or PC, I'll snap it up in an instant.
I played through & finished all three on Wii U, the emulation was solid. They're all good games, even the maligned Harmony of Dissonance. But Aria of Sorrow is the star of the show. I haven't played Portrait of Ruin or Order of Ecclesia, but Aria make a serious case for best Igavania.
Sengoku Strider

Marc wrote:
Blinge wrote:CotM is poopy dumb dumbs and don't listen to anyone who says it's good especially if their name sounds like BinalFaton!!
I just remember giving up because I couldn't see a bloody thing on the original GBA screen.
It was genuinely atrocious. I understand they'd want to avoid the battery-murdering fate of the backlit Game Gear/Nomad/Turbo Express/Lynx, but I didn't get a GBA until the SP because of that screen.

Circle of the Moon being so hard to see led them to putting a dayglo outline around the main character in the sequel Harmony of Dissonance, which turned a lot of people off. Fortunately on a TV screen both look fine (imo).
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

All 6 of the GBA/DS castleroids are well worth playing.

Circle of the Moon is a little rough, especially with some of the animation, but I like it alot. Its got a fantastic OST. And it was a real show stopper back when the GBA launched. Aria and Dawn are excellent and many people's favorites. Eclesia is maybe the best out of all of them. The two middle entries, Harmony and Portrait, are a little weaker and less inspired but still very good games in their own right, they're just bookended by better games.
Sengoku Strider

To Far Away Times wrote:All 6 of the GBA/DS castleroids are well worth playing.

Circle of the Moon is a little rough, especially with some of the animation, but I like it alot. Its got a fantastic OST. And it was a real show stopper back when the GBA launched. Aria and Dawn are excellent and many people's favorites. Eclesia is maybe the best out of all of them. The two middle entries, Harmony and Portrait, are a little weaker and less inspired but still very good games in their own right, they're just bookended by better games.
I'd be curious to see if they attempt the DS games. Wii U had DS games on its Virtual Console, and playing them on a single screen was rough, even with various display options. They'd also need to implement solutions for touch screen elements like drawing magic seals in Dawn of Sorrow.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Fortunately the seals in DoS are such a gimmick you could easily remove them from the game and lose nothing. Some of the powers in Ecclesia use the touch screen, but you could probability easily transfer them to an analog stick.

None of the game really need the second screen either, even though it's handy to have. But porting them probably takes more work than Konami would like.
To Far Away Times

I've finished Circle three times, and Dawn and Aria Twice each. I don't even replay games very often.

They are just really, really fantastic games. Like comfort food in gaming form.

I'd like to see the second screen in a theoretical DS port treated like a gadget in the M2 releases. And the stylus stuff should absolutely be hacked out, atleast in Dawn. It adds nothing of value to the game, and they took it out for the sequels.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Looks like reviving my own thread is better now that I've finally sat down on this. :lol:

Just beat Umbrella-chan, wow about time we get a first challenging fight, was shocked when she heal herself with blood steal shard. :lol: Also I got bad ending too, weird the game doesn't give you any of hints to get good ending though.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

copy-paster wrote:Looks like reviving my own thread is better now that I've finally sat down on this. :lol:

Just beat Umbrella-chan, wow about time we get a first challenging fight, was shocked when she heal herself with blood steal shard. :lol: Also I got bad ending too, weird the game doesn't give you any of hints to get good ending though.
One hint I can think of is from the prequel/spin off game. :D
WARNING: no refuge
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

copy-paster wrote:wow about time we get a first challenging fight
You're not playing the hard mode?
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Nope! This is my habit that I always pick Normal for first playthough in any game, turns out Normal is too light in difficulty. Bosses apart from Zangetsu and Umbrella-chan so far are SOTN 2.0 really unfortunate , kinda regret not picking hard first. :lol:

I was reading previous posts and I now reach the part where you have to kill certain enemy for next big progression. I know which enemy to kill but still BS as no one or the game itself telling you what to do next, IGA played too much CV2 methinks.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That one seemd quite obvious to me, but I agree it's sorta betraying the game's own conventions.
What really got me stuck was the whole cleave the moon thing.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I'd take my word back, game becomes interesting again once I got to doppleganger fight, was challenging and fun. Then there's the bottom most cave, eh I find this room kinda sucks, it was nothing but flame elemental spam and the pillar flame have bigger hitboxes too! No saves inbetween and enemies give you way more damage than previous zakos combined.
To Far Away Times

Sumez wrote:That one seemd quite obvious to me, but I agree it's sorta betraying the game's own conventions.
The problem with needing to kill that specific enemy is that it only has about a 10 percent chance of dropping what you need to progress. At least at launch it was like this. So you'll likely need to go back into the room and kill it several times.

I tried a few times, didn't get any drops and figured the enemy was no big deal and got stuck.

I looked online and saw that was the solution and the game sorta lost it's magic after that.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

To Far Away Times wrote:
Sumez wrote:That one seemd quite obvious to me, but I agree it's sorta betraying the game's own conventions.
The problem with needing to kill that specific enemy is that it only has about a 10 percent chance of dropping what you need to progress. At least at launch it was like this. So you'll likely need to go back into the room and kill it several times.

I tried a few times, didn't get any drops and figured the enemy was no big deal and got stuck.

I looked online and saw that was the solution and the game sorta lost it's magic after that.
Their was likely going to be a boss for that shard. The room is huge and the only boss from CotM that isn’t in RotN has a very similar attack.

Aria of Sorrow required 3 enemy soul drops to progress to the true ending. In hindsight it seems obvious but my first playthrough too quite a while to figure out.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

In the Ice-caves

this is one of the most annoying games I've ever played.

No i don't wanna use heal items
no i don't wanna grind for shards
no i don't have the items to max anything out.

can't beat
Spoiler
dominique
just.. what the fuck is this fight.

Well I'm finished, ended up spamming heals for the final boss just so i don't have to go through the double fight again.

Very mixed feelings about the game, I was enjoying it for while.. but then it became everything that's annoying about castletroids all rolled into one.
because the game is literally every castletroid smushed into one game.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

I have yet to beat that boss but I'm trying to finish all quests first before proceed to final battle, have beaten all secret boss+gebel glasses. I blame LOI for make me stall this game's progress again :mrgreen:

Felt mixed about endgame areas too, even chaotic realm and the abyss for example have much tougher enemies and varied rooms, and there's also one room full of high EXP enemies enough to grind level up to no end.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I mean yeah, you'll probs be fine. I was about level 43

I'll probs jump back on tonight and fight both bosses until I can do it without heals
Maybe i'll get ONE level first

Edit: okay, did it. lvl 45, no heals

silver knight
8-bit flame
zangetsword
dash ability
dimension shift
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh you can craft a super-jump! derp

anyway, I was very slowly bringing my completion rate up, going for achievements... when i realised
lol this isn't fun at all! why am i doing this! so i stopped.

I have been gradually clearing out all the areas playing as Zanny... but even that's pretty boring tbh. He's just way too powerful.
maybe attempting a rush straight to the final boss with him would be more interesting.
Aurora seems more interesting after a couple of areas, probably because of her limitations. I'll probs finish with both

the boss revenge mode seems dumb.

Edit:
Hey has anyone tried the "classic" mode?

It seems like a neat little classicvania. The design seems halfway decent though I wouldn't say i'm an expert.
Stages 2 and 3 took me a couple attempts each. I'm really not in the classicvania brain-space atm!

NB: no it's not Curse of the Moon, it seems to be starring Mirriam, with a moveset kind of like Rondo Richter. 3D polygons, not spritework.
Although this Miriam has a slide, backdash.. and the Richter style backflip can be done after turning in the air!
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

I enjoyed classic mode, it’s a nice “remake” of Castlevania 1.

Try putting in the Konami code for 1987 difficulty mode.

The alternate character I had the most fun with is easily Bloodless, she feels like an actual character where exploration is rewarded. Not blitz your way to the last boss.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

wait.. you can play bloodless in the main game?
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Blinge wrote:wait.. you can play bloodless in the main game?
Yup, guess the team liked her enough from the Boss Revenge mode.

I enjoyed her far more than Zangetsu.

I don’t think she even counted towards the bonus characters from the Kickstarter, just an out of the blue bonus character.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Seems like a ton of new stuff has been added to this game since I last played it. Not really sure if I can be arsed to fire it up again though :/
NYN

castleless

Post by NYN »

With no inclination to ever play this (not keen on rpg or the ghastly named "metro-" sub-genre), I, too, am surprised that this "game" is still in development in 2022.
I mean, wow, what a horrible night to have a curse!
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Kickstarter bloat is a curse for sure. I'd hate contributing to any more kickstarters going into stretch mode, that's why I stopped backing any KS that doesn't absolutely need my help.
BIL

Post by BIL »

TBH, I found the ongoing generosity of new content one of ROTN's most endearing traits. Apparently it was buggy as fuck early on, whlle it was only mildly buggy when I played in winter 2020 (it'd reliably crash at the next loading screen after five or so hours, an obscene length of time, but then I played the whole thing semi-comatose on the couch over the holidays, and can't remember much of it, anyway I just saved regularly).

And it got tons of new modes and characters around then. Liked the randomiser! I still plan to go back to that. And the game at large, I had a blast with the massive yet filler-minimal map.

If I've a complaint, besides the relatively rickety stability (aforementioned marathon crashes, and longer loadtimes than I'd expect), it's all the fucking neckbeard backer portraits in the otherwise lovely Clock Tower stage. Not trying to be an edgelord or whatever, just cheapens the work imo. As far as I'm concerned, it's deeply unfortunate to offer, and hideously self-indulgent to accept. "Look! MUH FACE is IN TEH GAME!" Yeah, fuck off. Show some respect. :lol:

("Christ m8! That looks just like shit!" I remember elder bro, who'd long since left Hard Gayming, but fondly recalls our primary school days with the usual NES hits, remarking at those clipart dogs / Totally Not Chain Chomps. "Ain't shit these days bruv" I mumbled apologetically through stuffing - food NOT CAWK :evil: - while dive-stomping on the abomination's face, absentmindedly wondering if it was the head of a backer's dog - or even IGA's dog - I was brutalising to realistic puppy whine sounds Image :shock:)

Man that was a good holiday, mom's food n' dad's booze and a decent bigscreen IGAvania >¦3 Last contact as ridiculous as expected ;3

ROOOAAADO ROOOLLAH DAAAHHH! Image Image Image