Phantasy Star Series

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mischief Maker

Re: Phantasy Star Series

Post by Mischief Maker »

GaijinPunch wrote:So yes, my life could be very different had I opted to actually put the work in instead of get my characters maxed out.
You mean less cool?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

GaijinPunch wrote:So yes, my life could be very different had I opted to actually put the work in instead of get my characters maxed out.
hahaha.

I'm not tempted to play MMOs, but I have my methods of wasting time. :wink:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

"It's great don't play it."
Pretty much sums up how I feel about MMOs haha.

Right so I've finally eased my way into some frigid crevice :lol:

Was mapping but seemed to find the right path on my first go so that's nice.
After meeting Lutz/Noah I cheated a bit and pulled up a map of the Crevice just to check I hadn't missed any chests; cba to map if there's nothing else to find.

So an interesting point once again - I've been given the prism and told to find the Nei weapons (ffs that name)
I know from memory that there's 3-4 dungeons to get through on Dezo but interesting that the game doesn't give you an order to tackle them in.
I'm left at a strange impasse here, I could just find them and try them in whichever order.. or quickly look up the order in easiest-hardest. The question is how true to myself am I?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Blinge wrote:So an interesting point once again - I've been given the prism and told to find the Nei weapons (ffs that name)
Phantasy Star II was my first in the series, and I assumed the weapons were renamed in honor of Nei, especially because
Spoiler
Nei's death music plays while speaking to Lutz.

Then again, maybe that's the theme playing because Lutz is sending the party on a suicide mission.
I really loved PSII's music. So simultaneously dark and weird, and really putting the new Sega Genesis synthesizer through its paces. Every time I see footage of the remake and hear the bland-ified music I cringe.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I've gone for "Menob" first for the Dezo dungeons, as it's called in the little Dezoris map in the manual.
Mainly because it's the closest one to a town.

Ah yeah the music's cool, just wish there was a bit more of it.
my faves:
Advanced

Pressure

Violation
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

about the nei weapons:
Spoiler
make sure you actually have the nei weapons in your inventory when you go back to the esper mansion. i stoopidly stuck one of them in the baggage room and had to travel back to get it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Lol that's not a spoiler.

Yeah I can see that being annoying but it's only a short trip back to Noahlutz

Just found a second storm gear in Menob. suddenly Hugh and Shir are both damage dealers!
The dungeons on Dezo are interesting lore-wise.
I wonder what the in-world reason is for their existence. They look like stone structures. How long have they been around? Centuries? Are they preserved due to the cold? does that even make sense ? :lol:
Something being an ancient ruin is a bit of a headfuck when it's in a sci-fi world.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Blinge wrote:I've been given the prism and told to find the Nei weapons (ffs that name)
It's almost certainly fancruft, but I remember reading online a long time ago that 'nei' had some meaning (ultimate?) that the weapons and artificial lifeform were both referring to. Sometimes things just end up with the same name by completely different paths, though. There's no connection between the capital of France and the bitch who sniped Achilles.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Mortificator wrote: It's almost certainly fancruft, but I remember reading online a long time ago that 'nei' had some meaning (ultimate?) that the weapons and artificial lifeform were both referring to. Sometimes things just end up with the same name by completely different paths, though.
It comes from Phantasy Star III's in-game dialog. Not fancruft, but not a Japanese word at all; it's just in-game lore and a probable retcon.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

oh shit :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had an excruciating decision in that battle.. Shir couldn't heal herself quickly enough to ever attack again vs the two remaining shadows. I decided to yolo it and use storm gear one last turn. killed them both.

You may think, Blinge how could you get yourself in that situation. And you'd be right.. I just didn't have the other characters at full health the whole time.. and it seems if this enemy type always focuses on one party member, they gonna die.

Shir is haunted by dead comrades back in town. when she leaves a building.. the ghostly figure of Amy seems to appear behind her for a brief moment :shock:
https://youtu.be/5GuiPYhSbB8

or maybe it's the ghost of 'you didn't pick me for your party'
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Blinge wrote:Image

oh shit :shock: :shock: :shock:
Those things are the worst. Even if you pump up your party, three of them can still wipe everyone out with just a little bad luck. I got killed off twice in the Dezo dungeons from those damn things which is extra annoying because Dezo has all that forced back-tracking through the stoopid spaceport maze.

Also, I recently found the list of concept art for the enemy models. The art direction is just so damn good. It really makes the game special.

Image Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

vol.2 wrote: I got killed off twice in the Dezo dungeons from those damn things which is extra annoying because Dezo has all that forced back-tracking through the stoopid spaceport maze.
That only applies to one dungeon! The rest can be walked to from the nearest town. That coupled with teleporting to Skure and casting Ryuka after flying back to Dezo means you only have to navigate the station again if the dungeon you're on is Nahar

How far in are you now? I tackled Menob (hahah) first, it was fucking tough, I got so confused trying to read my own map.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I completed the game all the way up to the last dungeon and then had to pause on it. All of sudden, I had to help take care of Mom who just got out of hospital and my GF decided that we should choose now to break up. (it's been a long time in coming, but fuck her timing)

I'll definitely get back to it, but it might be a minute. :x
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah man, sorry for the late response. Sucks to hear all that, hope your mum is alright.

I've got all the Nei items, Time to go I guess. Shir finally stole me a single moon dew at long last..

As for me, I got lost touching Menob

Fuck this dungeon!! omg. It broke my brain trying to navigate and map its girth.

Ikuto is obviously infamous, I found it a bit easier to tackle than me nob, actually.

The worst thing is once I realised Ikuto held the weapons, I picked up two Nei Weapons, and assumed there'd be a sword in here for ROFL. Spent ages, fucking ages, looking for the Nei Sword. It's not here. Lutz gives it to you :x
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Bruh I beat the game with my ass party, final boss took me over 20 minutes hahah holy shit.

Mischief I have to disagree, none of Anna's slashers had decent damage vs robots. only a couple that are soft targets like Wirehead.

for Mother brain/ Dark force.. man. Id have been utterly sunk without those GiRes items. May have been impossible with my party. terrible damage output, never unlocked Megido for ROFL either.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Blinge wrote:Sucks to hear all that, hope your mum is alright.
Thanks, yeah she'll be okay. Just going to take some time.

Congrats on the win with your suck party. lol. It sounds like you could have done a bit of grinding at the end there though.

It's always at the very end that it becomes clear how finished a game like that is. By the very nature of that kind of game, there could always be something more to play that would tie things together by explaining a story element or making clever use of items. But when it ends, you get a pretty good gist of what they just kind of gave up on. PS2 gave me a strong feeling of "we didn't have enough time to finish this game."

Looking forward to finishing the last dungeon myself, probably can do it next week or so.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Gee.... what a hard choice :wink:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Oh man. Those Japanese dating sites. If only they sent a picture the whole body.

Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Damnit, when will I learn!?

I did actually choose Lena because I felt like being a muggle
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Phantasy Star Idola announced it's shutting down in January. So it'll have survived three years and two months - roughly five times longer than I thought it would. Honestly hate it when these live service games go down after a medium length of time - if they're gonna die, die fast Kaden Shoujo style. By two years someone might think they're popular enough to continue to live.

The revenue on the EN version is dead as hell, estimated around $7k a month. If you really need to play this Fate Grand Order clone with the Phantasy Star label slapped on top of it, now's your last chance. (If you want to play a Fate Grand Order clone that'll survive more than another year, play Epic Seven instead tho. It has apocalypses and parallel universes in its storyline, at least. Guaranteed fun for up to a week.)

Speculation on why it managed to survive so long: I've heard it has scummy links to PSO2, like one of those "play this shitty game and get some shitty stuff for our real game" tricks?

It makes me feel a bit of trepidation about playing their upcoming Shining Force game. They did something crazy with that one: you know how they could just slap the Shining Force name on some turd with lewd highschool elf girls drawn by a hentai artist in it? They didn't do that! I'm more fucking shocked than you are. They converted the art style of a bunch of old characters into the Shining Force 2 style, and stayed on model. Even far more on model than the poopy GBA port.

It's doomed as hell, since unlike Langrisser Mobile SEGA will require it to do better than putting the money into a bond and would rather kill it to keep it from competing with its own games, then leave it in maintenance mode and build a reliable reputation so people aren't as afraid to invest in their new live service games... but there's a small chance it could be decent.