shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:39 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49
 Post subject: Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:20 pm 

I fear not the man who practiced 10,000 combos once, but I fear the man who has practiced that one command grab into sidewinder wall bounce combo 10,000 times.

Won't be able to use that combo in Strive though, apparently sidewinder doesn't exist in Xrd onwards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:38 pm 

Sony owns EVO now I guess. https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/ ... 3576232961

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:09 pm 

Udderdude wrote:

Welp... guess EVOs FKed

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:58 pm 

Occasionally I run across a 1P fighting game from the pre-SFII days and gawk in amazement. :o Presenting Hippodrome. The most DECOey DECO that ever DECOed. Nearly sprayed my drink at a few things, mostly
Spoiler: show
"DEAD"

TBH if you told me this was some random Amiga game I'd believe it. Maybe it is. Crazy-ass Karnov motherfuckers. >_>

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:04 pm 

I remember stumbling across that one on MAME. It's bad. Even then, I'm not sure it's Amiga SF2 bad.
IK+ is still a masterpiece though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:54 am 

My family's favorite pizza place as a kid had this dingy little cave like arcade room in the back way down this long narrow hallway. Only enough room for 3 or 4 cabs in there, but they always had something new. They had Hippodrome and it actually blew my mind in the day. As a kid something felt very adult about this cab besides just the ashtray sitting on top. You could basically see the tits of the snake lady and it seemed pretty violent in a pre MK world. It felt a little bit like getting to watch Predator or Conan when you weren't allowed to.

Of course the gameplay is total jank, but not as bad as many other games of its type that came before SF2. The sprites were big and there were some cool details here and there. That snake tail animation still looks pretty nice. You gotta remember this was around the time when the black and white dunk animations on Konami's Double Dribble were considered jaw dropping photo realism. :lol: Would I sink much time into it today? Uh probably not. But a cool little piece of arcade history nonetheless.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:46 am 

I can imagine. :mrgreen: It looks the way I (mistakenly) recalled Rastan 2, another not-so-great in hindsight game that captured a bit of the Conan film's aesthetic (snake people, basically, in that game's case).

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:07 pm 

Been meaning to check out Warrior Blade, which looks like it still holds up ok. Ran on the Darius II board in the double screen cab.

https://youtu.be/v52LnzRzPP4

I kind of miss that darker fantasy aesthetic that seemed to disappear along with the grody X Multiply style shmups as technology progressed. Things went more and more anime and less Conan and HR Giger. Dark Souls was as much a return to this more somber, foreboding aesthetic in a Japanese game as it was a return to unforgiving gameplay.

One piece of friendly unsolicited advice for the GG players further up the thread. Learn to anti air for God's sake! :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:51 pm 

New Melty Blood announced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:01 am 

Rastan78 wrote:
Been meaning to check out Warrior Blade, which looks like it still holds up ok. Ran on the Darius II board in the double screen cab.

https://youtu.be/v52LnzRzPP4

I kind of miss that darker fantasy aesthetic that seemed to disappear along with the grody X Multiply style shmups as technology progressed. Things went more and more anime and less Conan and HR Giger. Dark Souls was as much a return to this more somber, foreboding aesthetic in a Japanese game as it was a return to unforgiving gameplay.

One piece of friendly unsolicited advice for the GG players further up the thread. Learn to anti air for God's sake! :lol:

Now THERE is a candidate for Hamster.... and they've already done the multi-screen thing.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49