Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Mortificator

Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by Mortificator »

Ajora wrote:I recently started playing Super Gem Fighter: Mini Mix online. It's incredibly underrated and I'm hopeful that the community will expand over time. It's extremely charming and is very well balanced. It took some time for me to wrap my head around the fact that there isn't any chip damage, but it actually works. Most of the characters have move sets that are predicated on zoning, even though rushdown strategies have greater applicability than zoning strategies. There's a lot of mind games always happening in regards to conditioning your opponent to open themselves up. Blessed game. 
I like the game, but (irrationally?) hate the localized arcade title. Leave it to Capcom to run a joke into the ground. "Pocket Fighter" also gives it a brother-from-another-mother vibe with SNK's Neo-Geo Pocket fighters, which also have chibi characters and one button each for punches and kicks.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Mortificator wrote:
Ajora wrote:I recently started playing Super Gem Fighter: Mini Mix online. It's incredibly underrated and I'm hopeful that the community will expand over time. It's extremely charming and is very well balanced. It took some time for me to wrap my head around the fact that there isn't any chip damage, but it actually works. Most of the characters have move sets that are predicated on zoning, even though rushdown strategies have greater applicability than zoning strategies. There's a lot of mind games always happening in regards to conditioning your opponent to open themselves up. Blessed game. 
I like the game, but (irrationally?) hate the localized arcade title. Leave it to Capcom to run a joke into the ground. "Pocket Fighter" also gives it a brother-from-another-mother vibe with SNK's Neo-Geo Pocket fighters, which also have chibi characters and one button each for punches and kicks.
It was originally released as ポケットファイター (Pocket Fighter) in Japanese arcades, as well as for all console releases. It was only ever called Super Gem Fighter: Mini Mix in North American and European arcade releases.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle is like $5 on Switch right now.

I'll let you all know how I feel about it in 4 years when I get my diploma for graduating from the tutorial.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent channel, there's an instant sub :o

Killer thumbnail arts btw, here's the artist's twitter.
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

What are everyone's favorite fighters to play in the absence of fightcade or physical friends?

I haven't played too many, but mine is probably Street Fighter Alpha 3. I played the PS1 port. But I heard the Saturn port might be better for various reasons, and that the PSP port is the most content rich.

I also really enjoyed the DOS game One Must Fall 2097 when I was much younger. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's considered shit by people more experienced with the genre.

Also not sure if the Smash Bros games fit here but I probably played 100s of hours of SSBM too. Lots of fun challenges in that one.

Your picks?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Licorice wrote:What are everyone's favorite fighters to play in the absence of fightcade or physical friends?

I haven't played too many, but mine is probably Street Fighter Alpha 3. I played the PS1 port. But I heard the Saturn port might be better for various reasons, and that the PSP port is the most content rich.

I also really enjoyed the DOS game One Must Fall 2097 when I was much younger. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's considered shit by people more experienced with the genre.

Also not sure if the Smash Bros games fit here but I probably played 100s of hours of SSBM too. Lots of fun challenges in that one.

Your picks?

One must fall was the bomb back then

I think it had online as well

Miss that game
KAI

Post by KAI »

I got KOF2002UM, GGAC+R, UNICLR and BBCF for xmas on steam. Going back to fgs is pure suffering.
Hope they can rollback bb and unib soon. Reviving AC was the biggest FG achievment of the decade.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

KAI wrote:I got KOF2002UM, GGAC+R, UNICLR and BBCF for xmas on steam. Going back to fgs is pure suffering.
Hope they can rollback bb and unib soon. Reviving AC was the biggest FG achievment of the decade.
I love fighters but I can't seem to keep up with how fast they make changes to a game
Patches seem to come out faster than I can learn of the new changes

Take for example Smash Ultimate has over 70 characters and constant patches

How does one learn the game when there's so many matchups to learn on top of constant changes to the mechanics

Its just too much

I miss the days when 16 characters was the Max roster lol
That or there were no constant patches
KAI

Post by KAI »

Shelcoof wrote:Smash

but yeah, that's is why I don't play modern/current fgs.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

KAI wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:Smash

but yeah, that's is why I don't play modern/current fgs.
The issue I have with older fighters isn't because they are old but it's so hard to find players to play against

The great thing I noticed is a lot of the older fighters are making a come back now that there are no in person tournaments

Seeing more streams of the classics
Sengoku Strider

How is it that Capcom released four Marvel games on Saturn and never managed to come up with a single training mode?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Sengoku Strider wrote:How is it that Capcom released four Marvel games on Saturn and never managed to come up with a single training mode?
They know Saturn players don't need it. 8)
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Trying to pick up Tekken again, this time making an attempt to learn Bryan Fury.

Would be nice if the game listed counter hit properties for moves so I didn't have to look them up :roll:

Would like to try and get into a 2d fighter, ideally one that has a pc playerbase. I guess something old and something new. Eyeballing KOF 2002 um for that something old, maybe Strive will be that something new?

Using a Crown 309mj at the moment, my first korean lever, and it feels quite natural with Tekken. Felt decent with other fighting games as well.

Seimitsu seems to be releasing a Tekken specialty joystick they're calling the LSX-NOBI-01 in March as a collaboration with some famous Tekken player, which has happened before with some Korean lever manufacturers. Not really sure what kind of characteristics it has beyond the bat-top, which seems more oblong and doesn't rotate.
Sengoku Strider

cave hermit wrote:Seimitsu seems to be releasing a Tekken specialty joystick they're calling the LSX-NOBI-01 in March as a collaboration with some famous Tekken player, which has happened before with some Korean lever manufacturers. Not really sure what kind of characteristics it has beyond the bat-top, which seems more oblong and doesn't rotate.
IIRC Seimitsu sticks have less travel, which makes a world of sense for a game based around taps.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Finally getting to know Guilty Gear, I'm playing xxac+r to try and get familar with the mechanics ahead of Strive's release. Went with Ky, he seemed like a very straightforward character to learn the basics with, haven't learned any real combos beyond p->p->k->s->s yet though, but I feel like I'm finally grasping the basics of the game. At least enough to beat Blinge, but not enough to beat anyone in matchmaking.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Ky is low damage but very good at being annoying. Always go for knockdown, do the big fireball and then some weird shit to try to get another knockdown, repeat.

I don't know how much of AC+R will carry over onto Strive because I haven't been paying attention to it at all, but the main things to think about will be blocking (at least being aware of what faultless and instant blocks do), using jump cancels/low airdashes, using tension sensibly, and knowing when to burst so it doesn't whiff/get baited.
KAI

Post by KAI »

cave hermit wrote:Went with Ky
pick a different char asap, ky is shit, get cornered and you are basically dead, and all his high damage combos are a pain in the ass to pull off.

if not, try learning how the dp into wallsplat/bounce works, how to mixup fast, and try practicing the 2D into lightning sphere.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I like Ramlethal she's cute and big swords go clang
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

cave hermit wrote:Finally getting to know Guilty Gear, I'm playing xxac+r to try and get familar with the mechanics ahead of Strive's release. Went with Ky, he seemed like a very straightforward character to learn the basics with, haven't learned any real combos beyond p->p->k->s->s yet though, but I feel like I'm finally grasping the basics of the game. At least enough to beat Blinge, but not enough to beat anyone in matchmaking.
You motherfucker :mrgreen:
How much meter does it cost to throw me under the bus like that?

I can't even do a gatling combo, fuck this I'm dropping I-no. but I refuse to pick sol or ky.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

responding to posts from jan lol:
The thing with smash melee is the fans themselves added rollback to it in dolphin emulator, so online melee matches are now better than most fighting games that ever existed. And you don't have to worry about stinky melee players from the comfort of your own home!

Laugh, or cry.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Blinge wrote:How much meter does it cost to throw me under the bus like that?
:lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Huh.. Slayer seems cool but he does links instead of chains? Ew..
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote:
Blinge wrote:How much meter does it cost to throw me under the bus like that?
:lol:
Justice and revenge have been served.
BIL

Post by BIL »

No matter how foul nor loathsome one's W/L ratio might be, human nature is abiding Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hahah. It sure is.

You should've heard the tone in ol Hermit's voice when he confronted me on voice chat " I saw your system11 post..."
EEP!!!

Anyway here's a really close match between us. I like this one, there's some hype moments. and a lot of spaghett

https://youtu.be/hH5ux_wd9qY

oh and for the sake of balance, here's one where I lost badly.
https://youtu.be/mQo6YKlv_zk
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thought I was looking at a
Spoiler
second consecutive double KO
for a sec there. :mrgreen: I forgot what a fuckin swagger tune Noontide is, wasn't expecting to hear it outside of a Sol v Ky match. Been that long since I played GGXXanything, haha.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha, was flipping through the bgm manually and just had to select it.
BIL

Post by BIL »