Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sengoku Strider

Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Vampire Savior still stands as one of the best fighters Capcom ever made. It's a shame the Saturn port never left Japan, and we didn't get any kind of non-arcade version until a blurry PSP version showed up years later.

But if this new version has a training mode, that's very welcome. It's kinda baffling how rare those were throughout the entire 32-bit generation, especially for complex games like this.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

My copy of the Capcom Fighting Collection is sitting on my doorstep right now. Excited to dive into it, but damn it is so much game it is a bit overwhelming. I feel like I will barely scratch the surface of getting into these games before the player base dries up.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Creamy Goodness wrote:My copy of the Capcom Fighting Collection is sitting on my doorstep right now. Excited to dive into it, but damn it is so much game it is a bit overwhelming. I feel like I will barely scratch the surface of getting into these games before the player base dries up.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. The good thing is though, it looks like we are getting back to normal and people are attending tournaments and such again. I don't mind driving a bit to get to them. Vampire Savior still has a strong tournament following till this day. Pretty sure it will get even stronger with this collection release.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sengoku Strider wrote:It's a shame the Saturn port never left Japan, and we didn't get any kind of non-arcade version until a blurry PSP version showed up years later.
I may very well be wrong on this, but wasn't there a (Japan only) Dreamcast version of Vampire Savior which allowed you to use different "versions" of characters from the older games, much like the "Hyper" version of SF2 on this collection does? If my memory is, against the odds, accurate, I can only wonder why Capcom didn't just include that in lieu of all the old Darkstalkers games individually, except to pad out the games list.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

You're not wrong. That DC version was called Vampire Chronicles for Matching Service. And no, it's not an early version of tinder, but an early version of net play that worked only in Japan.

You could make the same argument about Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper, which even had an arcade Naomi release. It has all the new characters from the home ports (Guile, Fei Long, T Hawk, Dee Jay, etc). New backgrounds, real tranparencies instead of dithered flickering pseudo transparencies, bugfixes and unfortunately high input lag.

I'm not that familiar with Vampire Chronicle, but I would imagine the reason it's not included is the same as Zero 3 Upper. The competitive fighting game scene revolves around the OG releases on CPS2 hardware.

Crouch cancel infinites were taken out of Z3 Upper. It's a difficult exploit that requires precise timing, but became a big part of the game's "meta." There are other updated and bug fixed versions of Capcom fighting games, either released as arcade revisions or console ports that were basically shunned. Third Strike without unblockable setups, CVS2 without roll cancelling. I'm honestly not sure if people play Alpha 2 Gold?

So why not include games like VC or SFA3 Upper anyway to make a more complete collection? Also you would have to deal with Dreamcast/Naomi emulation. M2 claimed they had Naomi running on Switch, but we never saw that come to pass. Input lag would likely be off the charts and it would be more cost than it's worth.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Did some online play last night on the Switch version of CFC. Maybe it was just me, but the matches were stuttering messes. Even though I was playing on WiFi it shouldn't have been that bad. Anyone else experience that?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rastan78 wrote:Input lag would likely be off the charts and it would be more cost than it's worth.
That's an interesting consideration; was Hyper SF2 ever an arcade release? I seem to recall the JP Dreamcast getting a dolled-up version of Super Turbo as well at some point, though I think it was under a different name.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Yeah oddly enough Hyper originated as an arcade release on proper CPS2 hardware. I'm gonna guess that was the last CPS2 game ever made as IIRC it came out well into the early 2000s.

So every game on the collection is from CPS2 except for Red Earth which used the newer CPS3 hardware like SF3 did.

Yeah I have the DC version SFIIX for matching service. Looked it up on ebay and I can't believe what it goes for now. Must just be a collector thing bc there's no real reason to play this version in 2022.
Last edited by Rastan78 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:I'm not that familiar with Vampire Chronicle, but I would imagine the reason it's not included is the same as Zero 3 Upper. The competitive fighting game scene revolves around the OG releases on CPS2 hardware.

Crouch cancel infinites were taken out of Z3 Upper. It's a difficult exploit that requires precise timing, but became a big part of the game's "meta." There are other updated and bug fixed versions of Capcom fighting games, either released as arcade revisions or console ports that were basically shunned. Third Strike without unblockable setups, CVS2 without roll cancelling. I'm honestly not sure if people play Alpha 2 Gold?
As near as I can tell, these days the competitive scene revolves around FightCade. I don't think Zero 3 has been an FGC favourite since...like ever. The custom combos are just too OP, 80-90% damage, and they can make guard crushing guaranteed. So AFAIK Zero 2 has been the standard bearer for that scene. The Saturn port seems to generally be held up as the 'definitive' SFZ3, but I understand why they didn't want to jump into Saturn emulation here.

Zero 3 would be an excellent candidate for an SF II Ultra style remake imo. Toss in one or two of those SF1 characters like Geki that fans have been asking for for years to make it interesting. Or even, dare I mention it, a Zero 4?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

@Sengoku Strider, if you want to see recent high level gamplay of some of those more niche retro games on fightcade (Zero 2/3, Garou, etc.) check out riz0ne's twitch or YouTube (Super Lore Boys). They even run a few SF the Movie tournaments which are hilarious. If there is a small dedicated scene for that game then there must be a scene for everything lol.

For Zero 3 especially check out any grand finals between John Choi and Kyokuji. Surprisingly you don't see as many rounds ending by CC infinite as you might think. The thing is you can always counteractivate so if both players have meter it's risky to go for. Besides you can level the same criticism of CC's being too strong in Alpha 2 or CVS2 (Sakura and Bison especially).

Actually I was watching a match a few weeks ago where the commentators were talking about that. They said a lot of people will watch Z3 and say the whole game is just boiled down to land one CC infinite. Watching someone on the level of Kyokuji you see it's much more than that.

I think CVS2 was the game that eventually sort of relegated the Zero games to the past. It just had a lot of what those games did and then some.
it290

Post by it290 »

So the thing with Vampire Savior, Vampire Savior 2, and Vampire Hunter 2 is that even though VS2 and VH2 are basically remixes, they use different rules and mechanics than Savior does, and Vampire Chronicle basically mashes those mechanics together in a way that is janky and not particularly true to any of the arcade games. In a way, the 'best' version of VS is still kinda the Saturn version, since that one hews pretty close to the arcade but has all the characters available.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sengoku Strider wrote:Vampire Savior still stands as one of the best fighters Capcom ever made. It's a shame the Saturn port never left Japan, and we didn't get any kind of non-arcade version until a blurry PSP version showed up years later.
US did get "Darkstalkers 3" for PS1 (Vampire Savior EX in Japan), which was based on Vampire Savior, but had the usual drawbacks of Capcom's other PS1 ports (missing frames).
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Hmm. Might need to nerf that.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
it290

Post by it290 »

lol, that damage scaling tho
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
KAI

Post by KAI »

8ing game design™
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

it290 wrote:lol, that damage scaling tho
That is one of my biggest gripes with fighting games now. Give me the quick rounds of Super Turbo any day over having to hit a guy with 90 jabs.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
it290

Post by it290 »

Stevens wrote:
it290 wrote:lol, that damage scaling tho
That is one of my biggest gripes with fighting games now. Give me the quick rounds of Super Turbo any day over having to hit a guy with 90 jabs.
Play Samurai Shodown?
Sengoku Strider

TIL Super SFII Turbo is incredibly busted.

https://youtu.be/M8MYCIFk3LY
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Sengoku Strider wrote:TIL Super SFII Turbo is incredibly busted.

Man that's not busted. This is busted:

https://youtu.be/dAtSZwlY8uI
Sengoku Strider

Rastan78 wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:TIL Super SFII Turbo is incredibly busted.

Man that's not busted. This is busted:

https://youtu.be/dAtSZwlY8uI
I appreciate that those players were willing to put themselves through that for our amusement.
Sengoku Strider

This is my first time seeing it and I have to say, Taito's Dino Rex looks like pinnacle kusoge:

https://youtu.be/xXuUtw_AyE0

It's like Primal Rage made by the Rastan II team.

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Lol i have a morbid fascination with this game and even almost suggested Justin play it once on his stream. I can see his love of all things jank brought him around to it finally.

The fucked up thing is it's more by the Metal Black/ Gun Frontier team than anything else. I heard it actually started its tortured existence as a concept for a shmup? Not sure if that's true or not. Senba even directed this thing. Maybe a Taito dino based shmup could've been much cooler. Either way what we got was something uh . . . special.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Dino Rex feels like a game that would have been so cool if the team had any idea how to make a fighting game. Given the release date and the alleged history of it starting life as a shmup, I guess I can't blame it for being a proper kusoge.

I also "like" how the special move input is 842 [the game claims it's 8426, but you don't need that last forward input lol].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I find it hilarious that Dino Rex allows you to play as a purple dinosaur.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

I love how that one dinosaur is clearly using Godzilla's flying kick from Godzilla vs. Megalon:

King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah! I watched a bit of the open beta over the weekend and saw some cool shit. Some insane combos (in training anyway).

So far so good.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Tekken 7 is still fun. I bought Armor King the other day. I like him, he's like King but with more of a focus on strikes and with a WGF style uppercut out of wavedash. I was never very good at Tekken, but I at least understand the basics enough to have low level fun with it. I was practicing some chain throws and instant shining wizard with Armor King earlier. It was fun, but my time might be better spent learning basic combos and tools.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER