Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
cave hermit

Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by cave hermit »

I fear not the man who practiced 10,000 combos once, but I fear the man who has practiced that one command grab into sidewinder wall bounce combo 10,000 times.

Won't be able to use that combo in Strive though, apparently sidewinder doesn't exist in Xrd onwards.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Udderdude wrote:Sony owns EVO now I guess. https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/ ... 3576232961
Welp... guess EVOs FKed
BIL

Post by BIL »

Occasionally I run across a 1P fighting game from the pre-SFII days and gawk in amazement. :o Presenting Hippodrome. The most DECOey DECO that ever DECOed. Nearly sprayed my drink at a few things, mostly
Spoiler
"DEAD"

TBH if you told me this was some random Amiga game I'd believe it. Maybe it is. Crazy-ass Karnov motherfuckers. >_>
Marc

Post by Marc »

I remember stumbling across that one on MAME. It's bad. Even then, I'm not sure it's Amiga SF2 bad.
IK+ is still a masterpiece though.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

My family's favorite pizza place as a kid had this dingy little cave like arcade room in the back way down this long narrow hallway. Only enough room for 3 or 4 cabs in there, but they always had something new. They had Hippodrome and it actually blew my mind in the day. As a kid something felt very adult about this cab besides just the ashtray sitting on top. You could basically see the tits of the snake lady and it seemed pretty violent in a pre MK world. It felt a little bit like getting to watch Predator or Conan when you weren't allowed to.

Of course the gameplay is total jank, but not as bad as many other games of its type that came before SF2. The sprites were big and there were some cool details here and there. That snake tail animation still looks pretty nice. You gotta remember this was around the time when the black and white dunk animations on Konami's Double Dribble were considered jaw dropping photo realism. :lol: Would I sink much time into it today? Uh probably not. But a cool little piece of arcade history nonetheless.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I can imagine. :mrgreen: It looks the way I (mistakenly) recalled Rastan 2, another not-so-great in hindsight game that captured a bit of the Conan film's aesthetic (snake people, basically, in that game's case).
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Been meaning to check out Warrior Blade, which looks like it still holds up ok. Ran on the Darius II board in the double screen cab.

https://youtu.be/v52LnzRzPP4

I kind of miss that darker fantasy aesthetic that seemed to disappear along with the grody X Multiply style shmups as technology progressed. Things went more and more anime and less Conan and HR Giger. Dark Souls was as much a return to this more somber, foreboding aesthetic in a Japanese game as it was a return to unforgiving gameplay.

One piece of friendly unsolicited advice for the GG players further up the thread. Learn to anti air for God's sake! :lol:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Rastan78 wrote:Been meaning to check out Warrior Blade, which looks like it still holds up ok. Ran on the Darius II board in the double screen cab.

https://youtu.be/v52LnzRzPP4

I kind of miss that darker fantasy aesthetic that seemed to disappear along with the grody X Multiply style shmups as technology progressed. Things went more and more anime and less Conan and HR Giger. Dark Souls was as much a return to this more somber, foreboding aesthetic in a Japanese game as it was a return to unforgiving gameplay.

One piece of friendly unsolicited advice for the GG players further up the thread. Learn to anti air for God's sake! :lol:
Now THERE is a candidate for Hamster.... and they've already done the multi-screen thing.
AyeYoYoYO

Post by AyeYoYoYO »

https://twitter.com/SNKPofficial/status ... 1355721732

Capcom vs SNK 1, Pro, 2 likely being ported to swiutch next.
After that, hopefully CVS3 becomes a reality.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Shelcoof wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Sony owns EVO now I guess. https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/ ... 3576232961
Welp... guess EVOs FKed
lol how? EVO was already fucked on account of having a kiddy fiddler being the organiser.

re: new SNK ports, games etc.
Yeah sounds cool I guess but unless they have good (rollback) netcode there's no way i'm buying.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

What's the name of that Sega ''superscaler-y'' 1-on-1 fighting game again? with characters moving in foreground and background but done 2d? I think it's an arcade game

I member seeing that one either on Digital Foundry or Game Sack in the last year.

I'm sure it's unplayable but fuck does it have some 'tude.

EDIT : found it. It's Dark Edge. My fuck is this ever prime Sega edgelordian piece of software. Beautiful. *italian chef kissing hand-gesture*
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Been getting into super weeby fighters like Aquapazza and Dengeki Bunko
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I only played Dengeki Bunko for Ako.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

FinalBaton wrote:EDIT : found it. It's Dark Edge. My fuck is this ever prime Sega edgelordian piece of software. Beautiful. *italian chef kissing hand-gesture*
Winnerrrr GOLIATH!

oh man this looks... looks like hell to play. Ima throw up.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

@Blinge it looks absolutely abysmal. I don't even wanna try that one
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Marc

Post by Marc »

FinalBaton wrote:@Blinge it looks absolutely abysmal. I don't even wanna try that one
It's on the Astro City Mini. It's utterly fucking dire. Impressive to look at like, but hell to play.

I'm just heard about this Fighting Layer Ex thing. Now I'm one of those weirdo that really liked the SF EX games, so with a free base game I'm all over this.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Skullomania plz. And that guy with the baseball bat.
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

So did Shoyruken's community branch off to somewhere?

I've noticed Tekken Zaibatsu is also gone as well.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FinalBaton wrote:@Blinge it looks absolutely abysmal. I don't even wanna try that one
Arabian Fight actually plays better, and that's saying something!
Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Am very hype for Hibiki in Samurai Shodown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpur-UPAjs&t=58s

Just recently began playing her in Last Blade 2. Will get back to SS at 28th.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

It's very bad. It looks impressive [full all directional 3D movement in a game released BEFORE VF1 and a neat futuristic setting, all with SEGA SYSTEM 32 GRAPHICS :lol: ], but they spent basically no time thinking about how movement would work in full 3D, and just tried to expand 2D game concepts into the next dimension.
It plays like absolute ass.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Angry Hina wrote:Am very hype for Hibiki in Samurai Shodown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKpur-UPAjs&t=58s

Just recently began playing her in Last Blade 2. Will get back to SS at 28th.
Hibiki is fucking cool man.

Last blade 2 is rad.
Setsuna's Glass Wall Super is still my favourite in any fighter.
https://youtu.be/h40BhGiGM2c
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Rastan78 wrote:My family's favorite pizza place as a kid had this dingy little cave like arcade room in the back way down this long narrow hallway. Only enough room for 3 or 4 cabs in there, but they always had something new. They had Hippodrome and it actually blew my mind in the day. As a kid something felt very adult about this cab besides just the ashtray sitting on top. You could basically see the tits of the snake lady and it seemed pretty violent in a pre MK world. It felt a little bit like getting to watch Predator or Conan when you weren't allowed to.

Of course the gameplay is total jank, but not as bad as many other games of its type that came before SF2. The sprites were big and there were some cool details here and there. That snake tail animation still looks pretty nice. You gotta remember this was around the time when the black and white dunk animations on Konami's Double Dribble were considered jaw dropping photo realism. :lol: Would I sink much time into it today? Uh probably not. But a cool little piece of arcade history nonetheless.
One summer I was at the local giganto-amusement park. To my delight they had a decent sized arcade. They had this game, which I'd never seen, and it seemed like the most awesome thing to my Fighting Fantasy-addled kid mind. Even the name somehow made it seem legit to me, there just weren't many games around like it. I must have blown my entire allowance on this game that day.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

So.. VF5US announcement. Anyone hyped?

(I am)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

bigbadboaz wrote:So.. VF5US announcement. Anyone hyped?

(I am)
Love VF

But Sega always drops the ball with VF sadly
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I'm hype for a new ver of VF5. Not needing to hook up my PS3 for some VF5 makes it worth it.

Too bad it's not a new game but it's understandable, not sure Sega has it in them anymore to make a brand new fighting game worthy of the series.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah this rerelease was honestly all we could hope for. I'm glad to be able to play it on PS4, more importantly the apparent full facelift is more than I expected. I think everyone was waiting for them to announce a straight dump of the old digital VF5FS onto the current console.

It looks like they have put a decent amount of work into it, now to find out if said work has actually been worthwhile. I'm super glad it's less than a week away.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Apparently it'll be debuting as a PS Plus title too.