Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Rastan78

Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by Rastan78 »

That's not third strike tho
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

I'm getting back into KOF XIII. I love how it looks and sounds and I'm finding the way it plays is more fun than SF Alpha 2 or 3 now I've given it a bit more time and am learning how to string (very) basic combos together 8) No cinematics on supers to disrupt the flow is always A Good Thing- I love a proper 2D fighter.

I'd love to be good enough to not get frustrated* playing 3rd Strike, I've tried, I really have, it looks gorgeous but I'm just so shit at it it's not even funny.

* like proper chuck-everything-at-the-TV-then-chuck-all-that-through-the-window frustrated :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

sunnshiner wrote:I'm getting back into KOF XIII. I love how it looks and sounds and I'm finding the way it plays is more fun than SF Alpha 2 or 3 now I've given it a bit more time and am learning how to string (very) basic combos together 8) No cinematics on supers to disrupt the flow is always A Good Thing- I love a proper 2D fighter.

I'd love to be good enough to not get frustrated* playing 3rd Strike, I've tried, I really have, it looks gorgeous but I'm just so shit at it it's not even funny.

* like proper chuck-everything-at-the-TV-then-chuck-all-that-through-the-window frustrated :lol:
3rd Strike is really hard to get into if you missed the boat back in the day. I agree with you - it is gorgeous. I love playing it, but am also trash at it. I used to play with Pestro87 back in the day. We were both new to it and had some good competitive sets. Playing anyone else on Fightcade though was futile. Didn't help that I played Remy.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I felt that pain starting out as a Remy player in the arcade version back in the day. My local arcade had a lot of top players and the winner stays on playstyle meant lose once and wait. You only get to challenge the best player there and then wait through 3 or 4 matches to get another go. Though you also get to watch and learn in between. A rough learning curve for sure.

I'd say one big mistake newer players make is to try and zone. If you're Ryu for example you'll never really throw fireballs except as a occasional mid range poking tool, especially ex fireball. As soon as you see someone throw back to back fireballs you can tell they are new to 3S.

So this applies even to Remy. Yeah his LOV (sonic booms) are useful, but you need to use dashes frequently to change up your spacing and apply pressure. The cold blue kick is also good for closing in. Learn the spacing of the LK, MK and HK version so you can always have it hit with only the tip.

Newer Remys will camp in a stationary spacing full screen and try to play classic SF2 zoning style. Hold down back, chuck LOVs and wait for the other player to try and get in while you crouching fierce anti air into juggle. The problem is all that will get parried by a good player and low health Remy eventually gets cornered. Your goals in 3S even with "zoner" like Remy is to pressure the opponent, don't give up ground and have them be the one who ends up in the corner. As far as anti air learn Remy's Juggle for extra damage. Also if an opponent is empty jumping to bait and parry your crouch fierce or flash kick just mash stand jab. Rarely if ever use crouch roundhouse sweep. That will get parried all day.

The best Remy I've played against a lot is called Everdred3S. Find some vids of him playing or even better watch Pierrot. You will see how much they move around and close distance in between LOVs with dash or cold blue kick.

As far as viability I don't think Remy is that bad. He plays at a slight disadvantage against most of the cast. It's really just Chun Li and Ken that blow him up IMO. It's funny how the tier list in the game kinda boils down to who has a chance in hell against Chun. :lol: It's really the low health that hurts him. One touch death comebacks against a full meter SAII Makoto is frustrating for sure.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Dynamic mode for the button masher

https://youtu.be/vkRXTVd51dE

SNK won’t fix this

https://twitter.com/marubikari/status/1 ... 9495485440
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

WTF I just heard Akuma's theme from Third Strike on NPR with newscasters talking over it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: SNK won’t fix this

https://twitter.com/marubikari/status/1 ... 9495485440
Jeez. They forget hurt box?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Fighting game characters having invincible legs during jumps is pretty normal. Ryo's fireball spawns at his extended fist, leaving a big blindspot behind it. Ralf's explosion thing only reaches up to about head level, the smoke is not part of the hitbox, Mary cleanly jumped over it.

Only one that is a problem for me is Raging Storm. Raging Storm has a whole bunch of recovery frames that look like active frames, because modern fighting game design ethos demands that supers be -50 on block for no reason, but 50 frames of Geese doing nothing would look incredibly dumb, so they give us this crap instead. You could do the exact same thing to Rock's Raging Storm in KOF14, and probably still can in 15. Just be glad it's not -82 on block like some fighting games I could mention.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Rastan78 wrote:WTF I just heard Akuma's theme from Third Strike on NPR with newscasters talking over it.
they have good taste
BIL

Post by BIL »

I notice quite a bit of late 90s/early 00s videogame music used common samples, pads, effects etc - there's that "the beating of our hearts" sample that's heard in CVS1's menu theme, and Metal Slug 5's second stage BGM (base interior), plus that "cool, kick the nation with the groove" rap that's in like a dozen games (Trap Gunner, Dance Dance Revolution, DOA2's brilliantly-titled "YES or YES"... I know there's more, it's been a while). It's possible it's just a common breakbeat.

Then again I could swear I heard CVS1's punishingly good "B.B." (SNK stage) on a random MTV news segment circa 2005, so maybe it is indeed a FTG/VGM paisano at the mixing desk. :cool:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

sin kyske DEEZ NUTS

where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer where is slayer
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

https://youtu.be/ceyEm1_AxNI

lost a round then got my first Double Perfect evar!!!!111oneone
online baiken mirror match
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:I notice quite a bit of late 90s/early 00s videogame music used common samples, pads, effects etc - there's that "the beating of our hearts" sample that's heard in CVS1's menu theme, and Metal Slug 5's second stage BGM (base interior), plus that "cool, kick the nation with the groove" rap that's in like a dozen games (Trap Gunner, Dance Dance Revolution, DOA2's brilliantly-titled "YES or YES"... I know there's more, it's been a while). It's possible it's just a common breakbeat.

Then again I could swear I heard CVS1's punishingly good "B.B." (SNK stage) on a random MTV news segment circa 2005, so maybe it is indeed a FTG/VGM paisano at the mixing desk. :cool:
For the most part, I sincerely doubt most of those musicians were doing any actual sampling. For the instrument sounds, it's probably that the musicians were using the same synth workstation. Pick up a Korg from the late 90s, surf through the presets and you'll find most of the sounds from Metal Gear Solid, including that trademark sneaking synth bass. Roland had modules & keyboards that used swappable cards for sound banks, many of those musicians were no doubt using something like this: https://youtu.be/AtG4bzIGkrI?t=227

The other thing you come across a lot from that period are royalty-free CDs of random cool sounds. I'll bet there were one or two common hip-hop or house themed ones floating around Tokyo music shops or in Japanese magazine ads at the time which made their way into multiple tracks. I've had a few illusions about studio demigods shattered after finding out they were just a couple of stoners mashing together sound collection samples from CDs advertised in the back of British music gear magazines.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

1 Million Dollars for next Capcom Cup champ. I'm thinking of giving up my job and train SF full time

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
BIL

Post by BIL »

After all these years, I finally understand what's going on in Bryan's Tekken 3 ending! Brother man had it rough 3;
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Leandro wrote:1 Million Dollars for next Capcom Cup champ.
Required for watching the next Capcom Cup:

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

The Rumble Fish 1 has released on Steam with rollback netcode. It's very cheap.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2499 ... mble_Fish/

If you want to play against someone who dabbles with the PS2 port a lot and has absolutely no chops, give me a shout!
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I gotta get whatever this song was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv3LETi-yLA
BIL

Post by BIL »

XoPachi wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:12 pm I gotta get whatever this song was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv3LETi-yLA
Sota Fujjimori does a lot of similar stuff. Might be worth trying out his solo records?
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BIL wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:48 am Sota Fujjimori does a lot of similar stuff. Might be worth trying out his solo records?
Appreciate you, King.

Mostly for giving me a name for one of the BEMANI goats. This guy did Kind Lady. :o
BIL

Post by BIL »

XoPachi wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:56 pmAppreciate you, King.

Mostly for giving me a name for one of the BEMANI goats. This guy did Kind Lady. :o
Yeah, he's amazing! I got into him and Akira Yamaoka via their joint Shin Contra OST, then gradually their Bemani work. Incredible versatility - I wouldn't have guessed the authors of Shin's br00tal techno-metal were such happenin' dudes. Although Sota's BATTLE TRAIN is a pretty good hint. :cool: Kind Lady's bass solo always makes me think of his blazing MOON FIGHT arrange for Dracula X68k. Image