FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by Blinge »

bottino wrote: BTW Blinge, do you know about the Fireball trick (you do a downthrust attack, pressing the attack and magic buttons at the same time)? It will do a ton of damage to enemies and bosses that are weak to fire, the best example of this being Zirdugos, the tank in Valestein castle, which can succumb in less than a minute if you pull it off correctly.
Nope, never heard of this! is there a video that shows it anywhere?

Edit: Think I've got it. it's cooool.

just lost the longest run through the final area cause i'm a twat who refused to warp out when i was in trouble, used the freeze item instead and still died to the circling fire of a stunned mage. genius.
Last edited by Blinge on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Immryr wrote:one level makes an insane amount of difference in felghana. it was the main thing i didn't like about the game. you can be struggling for ages on a fight, go away and level up once, suddenly the fight is five times easier.
that's how it be
in Ys 1, 2 and 3
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hmm maybe I should try Inferno some time... I can't remember what level I played on back when I beat it. Is it a difficulty that needs to be unlocked?
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Blinge wrote:
Immryr wrote:one level makes an insane amount of difference in felghana. it was the main thing i didn't like about the game. you can be struggling for ages on a fight, go away and level up once, suddenly the fight is five times easier.
that's how it be
in Ys 1, 2 and 3
The joy of old-school Falcom. :)

I was playing the SMS port os Ys 1 the other day; walked into the fight with the first boss but couldn't even do any damage at all because I was too underleveled. :o
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Nope. Can't do Galbalan at level 51 inferno. Gotta get another level.
After about 20 attempts all I can say is that second phase is a bad time for all involved.
the fuck am I looking at!? oh you can get combo'd by the floor lasers without being able to move again. oops!
bottino

Post by bottino »

Here's the Fireball trick in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6OLTfg2qRw

@Sumez: Not sure if the latest patches changed that, but you have to clear the game in Nightmare mode to unlock it.
Blinge wrote:Nope. Can't do Galbalan at level 51 inferno. Gotta get another level.
After about 20 attempts all I can say is that second phase is a bad time for all involved.
the fuck am I looking at!? oh you can get combo'd by the floor lasers without being able to move again. oops!
Yeah, that 2nd phase is brutal, you are at the mercy of his evil RNG.

Your level is pretty good, you just need a good hand on his 2nd phase and everytime the chance presents itself, do as much damage as possible.

- You can damage his hands (do a jump lounge slash) when he's absorbing your magic; it's much, but everything counts in this fight and it'll help you fill your boost gauge faster;

- Speaking of boost, I like to use it as a defence mechanism in this fight; when you're in a pinch and about to get nailed, activate it at the right time to nullify the damage;

- When he's about to slap his hands on the ground, a well timed double jump + lounge slash + downthrust attack will make him retreat and do his ice tackle.

Hope this can be of some use to you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Nah really, feel like I payed my dues with the 20+ attempts. gonna grab that level. It's the hardest difficulty, i don't care.

Holy shit that fireball trick, i didn't realise you could rapidfire it like that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Been using the boost as soon as he slams his hands. just to make it stop . It being the second phase.

Most of it i can dodge, just when he combines flame with purple orbs and lasers i'm done.

3rd phase? can't practice it at all.

To cap it all off my friend was watching me start the fight and gave elena a horrendous voiceover with a UK Essex accent.
vulgarity..
Spoiler
"Garland said I'm the key, it's in my pussy! eheheheee!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

bottino wrote: @Sumez: Not sure if the latest patches changed that, but you have to clear the game in Nightmare mode to unlock it.
Patches schmatches. That's not gonna happen on my PSP. :P
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Beat galbalan inferno lvl 52.
accidentally quit out of the game over screen on black pikkard. can't fight it without beating the game again. lel.

went to do nightmare boss rush to get to berhardt.
nope. can't fucking beat the second boss.
A mode for self loathing for sure.

edit: this is a wasted day. the fire eating dragon? you can't convince me this is good design. i cannot tell what it happening.
how the everloving fuck are you supposed to get safe damage in

editt: this game has turned me into DSP
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah I'm done. here's your scrubquote:
Felghana, dogi and elena can all lick my nuts.

What was the final straw? Nightmare boss rush. That fucking prison wyvern. Wasting my fucking time with an attempt that lasts 10 minutes while I sit on two fucking tiles dodging fireballs just WAITING to be let out so i can play again.
Only to fuck up and die later. This was after a solid hour of attempts on the lava dragon.
Not doing that again. No cheeves for me.

don't like the game anymore. 8)
bottino

Post by bottino »

Congrats on your clear man.
Not many can go the distance in Felghana Inferno mode.

Yeah, the lava zone hosts two of the worst bosses in the game. Lava dragon is a boring and repetitive battle that wears you out and the Wyvern is pure bullshit on Nightmare/Inferno; I'm guessing that the devs ran out of ideas on how to make him harder, so they just decided to screw you with the flipping tiles. Bad move.

Like I previously wrote, Origin is much better in that regard, all the while being more demanding than Felghana.
Sumez wrote: Patches schmatches. That's not gonna happen on my PSP. :P
Ah, I see. Bear in mind that the game is somewhat easier on the PSP though, because of the added double boost feature (and some other minor differences), so you'll be facing an Inferno Light mode, so to speak :wink:
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

bottino wrote:BTW Blinge, do you know about the Fireball trick (you do a downthrust attack, pressing the attack and magic buttons at the same time)? It will do a ton of damage to enemies and bosses that are weak to fire, the best example of this being Zirdugos, the tank in Valestein castle, which can succumb in less than a minute if you pull it off correctly.
Interesting! I'll have to give that a shot next time I play Felghana.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

bottino wrote: Ah, I see. Bear in mind that the game is somewhat easier on the PSP though, because of the added double boost feature (and some other minor differences), so you'll be facing an Inferno Light mode, so to speak :wink:
Good to know that no matter how well I do, I'll never be as bad-ass as Blinge :P

Seriously though, I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote: Good to know that no matter how well I do, I'll never be as bad-ass as Blinge :P
and don't you ever forget it!!

( no really i don't feel any sense of accomplishment for beating inferno at all, because i gave up on nightmare boss rush. )
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:Good to know that no matter how well I do, I'll never be as bad-ass as Blinge :P

Seriously though, I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know.
Couldn't you just avoid using the double boost?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I don't remember what "double boost" is, so really, I don't know?
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:I don't remember what "double boost" is, so really, I don't know?
I've only played the pc version, but from what I hear, at some point in PSP Oath you unlock the ability to use boost mode a second time while already boosted, which gives you regenerating health and even higher stats.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Oh, that doesn't sound familiar. I'm not sure I was even aware of that. Yeah, sounds like something you'd be better off not using.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Review of Oath in Felghana.

fucking dying LOL
HELLEPHANT

Post by HELLEPHANT »

Review wrote:
Difficult jump puzzles
:|

"Lack of quest information" my ass. Someone get this dude OG Final Fantasy and see how he fares :lol:
bottino

Post by bottino »

I don't think you guys are giving animeboy there enough credit - getting stuck in a game like Felghana is something that only a select few could ever hope to achieve, harder than clearing Inferno mode or boss rush :lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The non fall mode is funny because you have to be on easy to even enable that :lol:
KAI

Post by KAI »

YS9 localization announced for next year!!
https://www.siliconera.com/ys-ix-monstr ... ch-ps4-pc/

Playing Cold Steel 3 right now, after the borefest that was 2, 3 starts in the most awesome way possible and so far is a 10/10 for me.
Can't wait to start playing 4 right after i finish this and Nayuta.
https://www.siliconera.com/trails-of-co ... r-27-2020/
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

KAI wrote:Can't wait to start playing 4 right after i finish this and Nayuta.
Nayuta no Kiseki is a killer action RPG. Probably the best graphics I've seen on PSP. Of course the music and game play are on point, tho it was a bit easy IIRC.
Mero

Post by Mero »

I will be grabbing CSIV in October.
bottino

Post by bottino »

Ao no Kiseki is the threshold of the Kiseki series to me: a solid game, that improved the combat and quartz system but ended up bloated and took many steps back when it comes to the storyline, aggravated by the fact that it locks characters backstories behind that silly bonding system and proto-harem setting.

It doesn't match the Sky trilogy, obviously, but still has plenty of fire and charisma in it, and playing it on hard mode was a lot of fun.

Then Cold Steel came and Falcom decided to double, even triple down the worst features of that game, went full otaku pandering mode and made it span four games. The lack of hand draw portraits puts an even bigger dent in the lackluster cast of characters, in a series that had them as one of it's strong points. A shame, really.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Even if they went full animu, my hype for Hajimari is huge, the new trailer is awesome (SPOILERS!)
KAI

Post by KAI »

ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Ao no Kiseki is the threshold of the Kiseki series to me: a solid game, that improved the combat and quartz system
I like how ED7 cleaned up the buffs and debuffs compared to ED6. So there was no more accidentally cancelling out a +25% with a +15% and whatnot. Instead you just get +25% or +50%, and casting it again will bump it up or increase the number of turns remaining.

But did you think burst mode and master quartz were improvements over Zero? I didn't. My problem with master quartz was that when you hit lvl 5 you get a huge boost, but now you have to stop using the thing because it doesn't gain any more exp and meanwhile you have all these extra ones that aren't gaining any exp if they aren't equipped, so...
but ended up bloated and took many steps back when it comes to the storyline, aggravated by the fact that it locks characters backstories behind that silly bonding system and proto-harem setting.
yes
It doesn't match the Sky trilogy, obviously, but still has plenty of fire and charisma in it, and playing it on hard mode was a lot of fun.
IMO, ED7 wins in terms of gameplay and soundtrack. One thing that disimproved was the food system. Since buying the food doesn't (usually) give you the recipe, there was little incentive to buy any food. As plain old items, it's overpriced.
Then Cold Steel came and Falcom decided to double, even triple down the worst features of that game, went full otaku pandering mode and made it span four games. The lack of hand draw portraits puts an even bigger dent in the lackluster cast of characters, in a series that had them as one of it's strong points. A shame, really.
yes

ED8 keeps the GPU busy though. And the battle system isn't bad, it's just that there is no martial arts tournament or megaboss-in-a-treasure-chest to challenge you (at least not in the first one)