FALCOM Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
drauch

Re: FALCOM Thread

Post by drauch »

Adolf wearing some Jnco shorts in that picture? Fuckin' sick, dude.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch wrote:Adolf wearing some Jnco shorts in that picture? Fuckin' sick, dude.
And I just hit POOM TOWER or whatever it's called in DSII, fulla "PFFT nothin personnel kid" behind-teleporting ninjas! :O But in further great news:

"SOULS LIKE" (™ Image) ACHIEVED

HIT EM SQUARE IN THE FUCKIN PLUMS M8
AUTHENTIC PLUM-HITTING ACTION

^ ONE 4 EACH PLUM = NO HARM DONE

You know it's a more meaningful criterion than "LMAO I SPAM BUTTON AND GOT A SMACK IN MY SCRUB MOUTH, BAWWWW 10/10 GOTY" Image
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

https://youtu.be/nzRNrS5MPOw

No game before DS ever expected the player to methodically dodge telegraphed attacks and deal out damage when safe to do so. Unprecedented.

Also the combat in DS is very similar to real medieval swordfighting. I would know bc I've watched choreographed Hollywood imitations of medieval swordfighting in movies.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Zelda is just dark souls on the nes dood.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Super Metroid is just 2D Dark Souls with a gun.

The only game ever made that wasn't influenced by Dark Souls is Dark Souls II.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Falcom's latest earnings report states that they plan to release the next Ys entry sometime before the coming fiscal year ends in September 2023; PS4, PS5 and Switch are the systems mentioned.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Speaking of the next Ys entry, it seems Adol's headed North this time around.

There's also a fancied-up version of Oath in Felghana on the way to the Switch.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Would buy that Oath port in a heartbeat on PS4/5 :o Assuming it's not nerfed in some way, grr. Never did finish off Inferno mode.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A few new tidbits on Ys X. Also, Falcom intends to reissue two more "enhanced' titles for the Switch, though it hasn't spilled the beans on which ones yet.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

A few of you might recall that in real time I enjoyed Ys 8, but also called its story one of the silliest and stupidest things I've ever experienced.

Naturally, it's getting a novelization.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Nayuta's Western release date set for September 19th.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I keep meaning to play the rest of the Ys games. I loved Ys Seven but wasn't big on Celceta. I own Origins but never played it. Should pick up Oath as well. Ys 9 was fine but I played it on the switch and performance was extremely sub-par.

I kind of wish Falcom would prioritize Ys over Trails even though Trails is obviously the bigger money-maker for them. I like the Trails games but I think it unlikely they'll create another Trails games as enjoyable (for me) as Sky SC. Ys has an "eternal adventure" setup that's perfect for creating new adventures and experimenting with the gameplay and design. So to summarize my thoughts, I see Ys as having limitless potential, while Trails games have become rather pigeonholed and taken on some obnoxious JRPG harem tropes.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I am such a wimp. :!: I have videogame arachnophobia such that I can't deal with giant ugly nasty spiders in videogames and Falcom seems intent on putting some nasty disgusting giant spider boss in every one of their games, or close enough to every one that I'm afraid of them all. :(

I know a number of the Ys games have them as do the Trails of Cold Steel games, which I bought a bunch of before I knew this. The only thing I sitll have is Tokyo Xanadu eX+, which I think, and hope, is terror-free. I have some of the older Ys via GoG which may be safe but as I never actually play PC games I'll probably never get around to those.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sima Tuna wrote:I keep meaning to play the rest of the Ys games. I loved Ys Seven but wasn't big on Celceta. I own Origins but never played it. Should pick up Oath as well. Ys 9 was fine but I played it on the switch and performance was extremely sub-par.
If you haven't even played 1&2, Oath, Origin, or 8 yet, you have the best in store for sure. Seven and Celceta are both extremely mid :D
I'd recommend playing 1&2 (the Chronicles collection is excellent - looks beautiful, but feels very respectful of the originals) before Origin if only to recognize all the little callbacks in that game. But I guess it's possible it works both ways. Either way it's just a little classic game that holds a lot of love and nostalgia for me. The bump combat in 1 feels like it'd be a meme, but it kinda plays into its pure, basic and fast paced nature.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Japanese release date for Ys 10 is September 28th.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

As a very casual RPG player that's hesitant to jump into a massive series of interconnected stories and characters across multiple games I decided to dip my toes into Trails by trying out the PC port of Nayuta earlier (since from what I read it's a one-off shorter story and more action/non-turn based like Ys, which is usually more my style). After finishing the main story I came away liking it a lot. It was involving enough for me to have fun, but not so complicated that I would forget the details if I took a few days or a week off in between play sessions. The 1-town structure and in-progress quest notes helped a lot. I think it took me around 3 weeks to finish.

Now I am trying out the main series with Trails in the Sky. I finished the prologue and think I am about half way into Chapter 1, and "so far so good", but usually I start to lose interest in stories after around the 20-25 hour mark. I have seen others mention that the story gets good later on so I am going to try to stick with it.