shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
 Post subject: Re: FALCOM Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:44 pm 

Squire Grooktook wrote:
What? No!

Quote:
It's fine if you use it up close. The problem is that you can snipe with it from 100 miles away and normal enemies don't get a chance to do anything.

can=/= must or should

Edit: lol weeks later I realise i fucked the dog on that quote

Last edited by Blinge on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm 

Yeah but ideally the game wouldn't enable that kind of behavior in the first place.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 pm 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 am 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
I believe full English fan-translations of the PC Ys games (and a couple of others from Falcom) were readily-available sice way long before Steam versions. Some requiring a switch to Jaspanese letters in Windows, not a biggie overall.

I actually think the fan-translated versions of Ys I & II Complete and The Oath in Felghana read slightly stronger than the localizations. All versions were translated by the same guy, since Xseed bought his work to use for their official release, but the editing pass they gave the scripts was not for the better.

Now Napishtim, I prefer its official localization. And I can't speak for Origin since I didn't get into that game until after it was on Steam / GOG and have never played it with the fan patch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:13 am 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
I believe full English fan-translations of the PC Ys games (and a couple of others from Falcom) were readily-available sice way long before Steam versions. Some requiring a switch to Jaspanese letters in Windows, not a biggie overall.

I did play one of the modern Ys 1+2 remakes like that because it didn't come out in English until much later. But Ys 6 was available to play legit, of course that's what I did. I'm not sure what the point is any longer :P

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:29 am 

Vanguard wrote:
Yeah but ideally the game wouldn't enable that kind of behavior in the first place.

TBH I still don't think it's that bad. Playing run-away and stalling out fights might be slightly safer against some early enemies but having flame on instead of the yellow i-frame smash equipped is a defensive trade off which becomes more thoughtful once the last few levels introduce more aggressive enemies and lots of homing ranged attacks.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:52 pm 

https://www.siliconera.com/falcom-has-p ... niversary/

Neverending stoooryyyy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:08 am 

Why the heck is this thread still in this sub-forum instead of off-topic gaming?

Anyway, almost done with Felghana replay (Nightmare Mode ofc). I think I'm reversing my opinion once again that Origin is the superior title. Before I restarted, I spent a little time in between work and other things casually learning the boss fights in boss rush mode. Got them down till I could turn it into an assault course and slaughter most of them in 1-3 attempts. My original reason for preferring Origin is because I thought most of the bosses in Felghana were frustrating and obscure, but with a little bit of practice and replay consultation, most of them become very satisfying and quick to take down. Very Psikyo kind of feel going from memorizer hatefuck to disciplined slaying. Once you understand how everything in the game works, it becomes much easier to simply blaze through, making it well suited to rainy-day replays.

I didn't spend as much time practicing Origin's bosses in a similar manner, but attempting to do the boss rush mode in that game in a similar fashion left me with a slightly bad taste: there's just too many bosses with healing gimmicks, seriously. There's at least 3 on every route, and I can't find much in the way of strategy to negating these abilities: it really forces you to play in a really aggravating way at the cost of overextending the length of battles if you fuck up even a little. Origin also has a bit of Contra Hard Corps Syndrome: with its boss fights spread out across several routes, you really wish you could have some sort of "best of" route as you'll always be missing one of the best ones no matter who you play.

Not to hate on Origin, it's still very close to being my favorite and it also has some bosses which easily outdo Felghana's (most of the "humanoid" bosses are all extreme keepers, though I'm not sure if I'd rank any of them above Chester II now that I've learned that fight more).

*edit*

on a side note, one thing of interest is that my replay of Felghana has been playing with Analog Stick instead of D-Pad. While Analog might seem questionable to veteran shmuppers - especially considering the shmuppy/arcadey elements of the game - I think it overall works better since being able to aim specials and melee in more than 8 directions is essential.

On another related note, I discovered a really fun strategy in the game that completely changed my view of Adol's playstyle in it. I used to not really enjoy his fireball skill, but it's actually incredibly fun when used as a rushdown/combo-extender tool. The fireballs have less recovery than the later swings of his sword, and you can cancel into skills at any time, so what you can do is run around doing full combos, cancel into a fireball at the end, and then go back to slashing and swinging for unlimited rushdown on anything that's hitstunnable. Really makes him a lot more agressive and technical to play when you start noticing the more subtle elements of the game engine.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:47 am 

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Why the heck is this thread still in this sub-forum instead of off-topic gaming?

Hmm, let me rectify that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:53 am 

Thanks BulletMagnet! Much more at home here.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:10 pm 

yeah but that flying fucking dragon that just makes you wait for ages on nightmare is no bueno.

I forget that i've actually beaten felghana on nightmare ahah. Issue is I just cannot bring myself to sit through that boss rush again, fuck that gaaaaame!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 pm 

He's by far the worst boss in the Ark/Oath/Origin trilogy, but by studying replays I did find some ways to make him less annoying.

One unintuitive key way of making the fight vastly shorter is to use flame magic instead of the spinning slash. You actually get a much better, much more consistent dps if you just keep tagging him with fireballs constantly, as your charged fireball will reach him at all times (when you're on the ground and he's above, when he's in the background, even when he's diving), and it charges fast so you can be constantly shooting at him. Using that I can shave him down from like 7 minutes to...4-5?

There's an even more advanced technique I've seen in some replays, which involves using an exploit on the jump/slash physics and boost mode. Basically, I've seen videos where a dude jumps, slashes, and boosts with a specific timing that allows him to gain height and hit the thing with a full combo at any time boost meter is available. I didn't have the patience to try and learn that one though as I'm sure it's some really annoying speedrun tier bullshit.

I really got Chester II down to a science (though he always requires tough reactions). Actually managed to beat him first try in this playthrough.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:30 pm 

Oh Squire. I do hate you so much.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1093 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37