Cuphead, new run'n'gun with old-timey art

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Tregard

Re: Cuphead, new run'n'gun with old-timey art

Post by Tregard »

They've nailed the art. The only other game I can think of that tried to emulate that look was the first level of Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse.

Parts of the latest trailer reminded me of Dynamite Headdy for some reason, though it looks like it might lack that game's mechanical finesse.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Obscura wrote:I wouldn't hold your breath hoping for that.

It's a western indie 2D game. It's going to suck.
Noitu Love 2, Super Cyborg, Bleed, Shovel Knight, Rogue Legacy, Oniken, Aces Wild, Volgarr The Viking, and They Bleed Pixels are all pretty excellent western indie 2d games.

What they've shown so far looks pretty nice. Just needs a decent game structure behind it.
Only one of those that's decent is Noitu Love 2, and even it has a faaaaaar too easy default difficulty.

Aces Wild is particularly wretched, and I'm surprised to see you mention it as a positive example.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Obscura wrote:Aces Wild is particularly wretched,
News to me! Please elaborate.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Obscura wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:

Noitu Love 2, Super Cyborg, Bleed, Shovel Knight, Rogue Legacy, Oniken, Aces Wild, Volgarr The Viking, and They Bleed Pixels are all pretty excellent western indie 2d games.

What they've shown so far looks pretty nice. Just needs a decent game structure behind it.
Only one of those that's decent is Noitu Love 2
I disagree. They are all good to superb.

I've 1cc'd a number of them. Rogue Legacy on 3 lives was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life, and that's saying something.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Obscura wrote:Aces Wild is particularly wretched,
News to me! Please elaborate.
Fucking "dodge in place" and "homing dash" mechanics in a genre that's about movement and positioning on screen. Yeah, that's excellent. Why not just go play DDR instead?

(The reason 3D games tend to have invincible dodges is because perceived collisions are a bit wonky when you're translating 3D space onto a 2D monitor, so you can't really expect the player to have precise placement in the world. 2D doesn't have that issue, and whenever 2D action games get built around "do invincible move X to avoid attacks!", they always end up being garbage. See Alien Soldier for another example.)
Squire Grooktook

Obscura wrote:whenever 2D action games get built around "do invincible move X to avoid attacks!", they always end up being garbage. See Alien Soldier for another example.)
Except you will never survive Alien Soldier trying to rely only on the Zero Teleport (later enemies will both punish you and are nearly impossible to damage while teleporting around, forcing you to actually use jumps and normal movement to evade), and actually dodging things without it in the easier early game will help you kill everything faster and more efficiently (and with more fun!)

The Zero Teleport isn't even a true i-frame move, as its still a movement tool above all else. You have to use it at the right height and watch that you don't use it to teleport directly into enemies on the other side of the screen.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Shovel Knight isn't even decent?? I've heard some crazy shit on this site and that is right up there with the craziest.
Squire Grooktook

It's not just decent, I'd say it utterly crushes the Nes Mega Man's. Great level design, brawlly combat, and the time/gold charting adds a measure of tension and replayability to the game that's not present in any Mega Man. Aces game.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

"t utterly crushes the Nes Mega Man's" isn't exactly high praise.
Squire Grooktook

To you. Nes Mega Man is solid. Not "greatest game ever" material, but good fun. Shovel Knight adds a Nes Batman/Actraiser 2-esque brawling combat style where socking bosses nullifies their hitboxes, and gives you actual incentive and a sense of tension in doing well in the way it tallies up your time and gold at the end of the game. Rad as fuck game.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Lobinden

Post by Lobinden »

There are plenty of good western indies. I know most western indies suck, but that's Sturgeon's Law for you.

You'll find that the vast majority of doujin titles are trash too, it's just about finding the stuff you like.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU9vHywsIBk

They added a shop and an easy mode. Maybe a dash mechanic too, I'm not sure if that was in the old builds.

Excellent aesthetics aside, the game looks like crap to me. It's a shame that it's going to make way more money than games that are way better, like Hard Corps: Uprising, Metal Slug XX, Assault Suit Leynos, etc. Maybe this is the Sine Mora of run & guns?
boagman

Post by boagman »

iconoclast wrote:Excellent aesthetics aside, the game looks like crap to me. It's a shame that it's going to make way more money than games that are way better, like Hard Corps: Uprising, Metal Slug XX, Assault Suit Leynos, etc. Maybe this is the Sine Mora of run & guns?
In what fashion? Not that the games you've listed aren't great, but what about what you see in the video makes you think it's crap?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Boss fights seem to be the entire point of the game, but they all look bad. Every one they've shown so far repeats the same two or three simplistic attacks over and over, and the fight drags on and on due to their massive health bars. I get bored watching it before they finish, every time. Plus the overworld structure (with infinite lives) is never as good as a well-paced stage-based game.

The only thing that looks good to me is the art & animation.
boagman

Post by boagman »

iconoclast wrote:Boss fights seem to be the entire point of the game, but they all look bad. Every one they've shown so far repeats the same two or three simplistic attacks over and over, and the fight drags on and on due to their massive health bars. I get bored watching it before they finish, every time. Plus the overworld structure (with infinite lives) is never as good as a well-paced stage-based game.

Well, they did mention (but did not show) some side-scrolling levels that were going to be a part of the final version. I was actually kind of impressed with the video. It could be better than I was thinking it would be.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

The art is still way too pretty, I forgot this existed.
Bosses don't seem that bad, but certain attacks go on for a bit too long.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Squire Grooktook

Keep in mind they are probably still balancing HP and damage values. I've been working on my shmup for many month's, and some of the values are still totally fucked because I have much more pressing issues to work on.

I'm more worried about the whole map thing. But hey, if the levels and bosses do turn out to be halfway decent, it'll probably be worth suffering through that crap to give em a shot. Who knows, there might be a challenge mode for a more arcadey experience, or self imposed challenges to hit the bill. Hell, someone could even mod it on PC version if necessary.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Noitu Love 2, Super Cyborg, Bleed, Shovel Knight, Rogue Legacy, Oniken, Aces Wild, Volgarr The Viking, and They Bleed Pixels are all pretty excellent western indie 2d games.
Don't forget Dust: An Elysian Tail, Freedom Planet, Gunlord, Broforce, Maldita Castilla, Gunman Clive, Frogatto, and Giana's Return.
boagman

Post by boagman »

boagman wrote:
iconoclast wrote:Boss fights seem to be the entire point of the game, but they all look bad. Every one they've shown so far repeats the same two or three simplistic attacks over and over, and the fight drags on and on due to their massive health bars. I get bored watching it before they finish, every time. Plus the overworld structure (with infinite lives) is never as good as a well-paced stage-based game.

Well, they did mention (but did not show) some side-scrolling levels that were going to be a part of the final version. I was actually kind of impressed with the video. It could be better than I was thinking it would be.
Been watching more of this on YT and through IGN. I'm even more impressed than I was. Lots of different types of old school styles of play being used. Wish it would be available on Vita.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Well, at least we know the LP's will be good to look at.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
OdiousTrident

Post by OdiousTrident »

Guinness Record for most bosses in a run-n-gun? Doesn't Alien Soldier have 30?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://youtu.be/xy0bpSyeCuQ

New gameplay movie of a whole level.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

soprano1 wrote:https://youtu.be/xy0bpSyeCuQ

New gameplay movie of a whole level.
I hope that's the tutorial... :lol:
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Yeah it seems a bit simplistic. Still, it looks incredible though.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Not nearly enough jumping piranha plants in the pits.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

That platforming level reminds me of the original Rayman but with more enemies and entirely horizontal level design.

Still looking forward to it, though.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Listening to those sound effects I kept waiting for Gex to chime in with "Like the slime, boys. Nice Touch!" :lol:
boagman

Post by boagman »

So...2016's getting smaller and smaller by the day. They're using up the good will that people have had that are anticipating the game with all of this delay. At a certain point, you just need to get the game out.
quash

Post by quash »

This game definitely looks the part, I just hope it plays the part, too. I'm trying my best to negate any expectations I have for the game in the hope of being pleasantly surprised.