The State of Emulation topic

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
WelshMegalodon

Re: The State of Emulation topic

Post by WelshMegalodon »

It's Alt + Shift + 1 to remap your controls. Not sure why it wouldn't stick, though.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yup. I've done all that. Then nothing works.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

That's pretty strange. Are you sure your config file isn't set to read-only or something?

Try downloading the emulator again, putting the extracted folder in the C: drive, then starting up the game and configuring controls. Be sure that your gamepad is enabled in the Virtual Input Port (it should be enabled by default), that it isn't some Administrator privileges thing, that you're locking in button assignments by pressing a button twice when prompted to assign it, etc.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Blinge wrote:Ah thanks man. got Mednafen running.. Rondo is working.
But i can't remap the controller. it asks me press buttons to remap but it doesn't seem to stick, then nothing i press does anything to the game.
Try using this front-end https://github.com/AmatCoder/mednaffe
bottino

Post by bottino »

Just use Ootake, Blinge.

It's lightweight, extremely easy to configure and, AFAIK, runs every game flawlessly. If you can't or don't want to mount your PCE CD games every time you play, Ootake has a feature that let's you install your images in your PC so it can instantly read them whenever needed.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Thanks for the help guys. one of the reasons i love this place.
Top lads.

... I'm an idiot. Mednefen was working fine, I just didn't realise that Rondo doesn't let you skip the long ass opening cutscene unless you have a save file. So I confused this for it not accepting my inputs.
I realised when I tried a different rom and it worked.

:mrgreen:

Ah well the front end is more convenient for me so thankyou Udderdude et al!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

For some odd reason, Mednafen doesn't like Wonder Momo, even with the non-fast PCE core.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

byuu, the madman, posted this on r/emulation the other day:
byuu wrote:PC Engine emulation basically stopped developing in the mid-2000s. The documentation is dreadfully incomplete, and the emulation accuracy is about on-par with where the SNES was at in 2004. Having an accessible, easy-to-read source code reference has value, even if it's not the most compatible or performant emulator.
byuu wrote:What I will say is nobody really understands the system in detail. Either emulators have hacks to run certain titles, or the edge cases just won't run. It's a surprisingly finnicky piece of hardware.
Given that Wonder Momo isn't exactly one of Namco's greatest, it could very well be one of the edge cases to which byuu is referring.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Some good news for all of you stuck at home: the 1984 Game & Watch title Crab Grab was emulated in MAME earlier this month. Since it has never been re-released and no simulation exists of it, this is the first time the game has been made playable without actually owning the original unit.

Like all of the best Game & Watch games, this one is lightning-fast and surprisingly addictive. Very accessible, too - here's a guy rolling over the score counter on real hardware.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Uhh so i'm using XM6 emulat0r to play Akumajo Dracula x68k..

Problem is my puss3y controller is really hard to map.
The analog defaults to movement and I can jump and whip but I just don't know which buttons correspond to what. You actually have to choose which buttons from a nonsensical list, it's horrific.

Any ideas?
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Like most X68000 games, Dracula only uses the two buttons available with the standard pad, so the simplest way to go about it would be to map whichever two buttons you want on your pad to 'Port1-1' and 'Port1-2', then set the rest to 'None'.

Are you using the TypeG build? If not, you should be!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I don’t know what type G means..

Ah the problem is the dpad my dude. I want to use my dpad..
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The TypeG build is supposedly the more accurate XM6 fork. Since 99% of the English-speaking Internet seems to know jack diddly about the X68000 hardware I've only ever seen anecdotal evidence to back up that claim, but it's true that TypeG has never given me issues.

As for using your D-pad... I can't try it myself at the moment, but have you tried the other controller types?

If all else fails, MAME's X68000 driver is supposed to be halfway decent at this point and even has solid MIDI support. You'll most definitely be able to use your D-pad with it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

If all else REALLY fails, get MAD GHETTO and set up keyboard controls, then bung 'em into Joy2Key. Image It's what I would do! Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hahaha. That creates some input lag in my experience.

Never fear.. I realised if you hold an input down in the mapper the text turns red so you can at least tell which button corresponds to what, however it still won't pick up the dpad on my PS3 controller that's using drivers to masquerade as a 360 controller to fool steam games! fucking hell!!!

... I just realised, I'm gonna play it with my Arcade stick. That works. :shock:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

fuck my ass when's someone gonna English patch Metal Max 2 already?
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

The same day people get in the habit of distributing original disk images for DOS games from the 80s instead of install directories, that's when.

MAME does appear to have made a good amount of progress in this field, but DOS games number in the thousands.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

MAME now emulates every Game & Watch game. Not every revision, but every unique title.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Next task is emulate every Tiger G/W games, and THE WRIST GAAAAAAMMMEE
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Take me to the R-Zone. 8)
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

MAME is now working on animated artwork for mechanical games without graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjv_1fspTng

Here's the original game for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKcN_A0_ODM

Kind of an odd direction to be going in, but you have to admit that it's pretty neat.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Getting the rom preserved is important and the graphics will be okay for debugging and demonstration purposes. Wouldn't want any kind of emulator "playable" version tho, because it will look and feel like a terrible flash game.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Visual Pinball + PinMAME has been doing this for ages, with 3D models and everything.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

orange808 wrote:Getting the rom preserved is important and the graphics will be okay for debugging and demonstration purposes. Wouldn't want any kind of emulator "playable" version tho, because it will look and feel like a terrible flash game.
Most of those things are the mechanical equivalents of garbage flash games.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Udderdude wrote:Visual Pinball + PinMAME has been doing this for ages, with 3D models and everything.
Has that gotten any better? I haven't looked into VP in some time. The physics were always pretty bad--although that's true of most of any video pinball.
Vanguard wrote:Most of those things are the mechanical equivalents of garbage flash games.
Sure, but there's a charm and spectacle to mechanical carnival games that I can appreciate.

Anyhow, nice to know that the roms will be preserved if someone needed to build a replacement for the PCB internals.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Visual Pinball 10 has had vastly improved physics for years now.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Udderdude wrote:Visual Pinball 10 has had vastly improved physics for years now.
I'll check it out. I assume they finally got over their nasty DirectDraw issues.

I still have some old Scapino pins somewhere. Very well done.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

orange808 wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Visual Pinball 10 has had vastly improved physics for years now.
I'll check it out. I assume they finally got over their nasty DirectDraw issues.

I still have some old Scapino pins somewhere. Very well done.
You'll want to get some newer tables made for VP 10 (They have a .vpx extension). The quality has increased enormously over old VP 9 and VP 8 tables.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

MAME now emulates every Game & Watch game. Not every revision, but every unique title.
Something borderline perverse about Game & Watch Gallery Advance working so well as the games' carrier, whilst serving fuck all purpose as an actual watch (never mind alarm clock).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Has anyone tried this? It looks like it's been around for a while, so I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned it.

https://github.com/emu4crt/files
emu4crt is a Mednafen emulator mod intended to be used on a system connected to a CRT screen, typically a 15kHz TV or an arcade monitor.

It brings "pixel-perfect" rendering by switching host resolution to match emulated system resolution.

Mednafen modules ported to emu4crt:
Sony Playstation
Sega Saturn (win64 only)
Nintendo NES/Famicon (snes & snes_faust)
Nintendo Super NES/Super Famicom
NEC PC Engine / PC Engine CD / SuperGrafx (pce & pce_fast)
NEC PC-FX
Sega Megadrive / Genesis
Sega Master System