Slowdown, The Very Best Of

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Slowdown's Greatest Hits

Post by BIL »

SuperGrafx wrote:Gradius III on SNES
Basically the game ran in a constant state of slowdown -- unless you stopped firing your weapon.
G-Darius's PS1 port is like this too. It doesn't slow down so much as occasionally resume arcade speed when the screen is empty.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Hagane wrote:Metal Slug 2
Marc

Post by Marc »

Nobody mentioned Super R-Type yet?
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Marc wrote:Nobody mentioned Super R-Type yet?

That one is pretty infamous, but I haven't played it in so long that I have forgotten how bad it is.
LSU

Post by LSU »

Super Famicom Thunder Spirits with rapid fire turned on: Pressing fire = frame skip.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Blazing Star stage 1 boss, when it charges in from the right and smashes that giant monument.

http://youtu.be/b7-NZtL_0SE?t=2m

It's actually kind of a cool effect, I wonder if they did it on purpose?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

All those Arc Nova 'splosions on Assault Suits Valken and your suit's protracted detonation on death.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

drauch

Post by drauch »

May just be a fuzzy memory, but doesn't In the Hunt chug a bit? Awesome game and graphics, but I remember it being sloooow.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

drauch wrote:May just be a fuzzy memory, but doesn't In the Hunt chug a bit? Awesome game and graphics, but I remember it being sloooow.
IIRC the Saturn port has a good deal of slowdown, not sure how much compared to the arcade original or PS version though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:All those Arc Nova 'splosions on Assault Suits Valken and your suit's protracted detonation on death.
Aww yeah. Especially the framerate-crushing detonations at the stage's climax when sabotaging the engines, with the screen glaring white-hot each time. Now that's the sort of apocalyptic impact you want while punching out a plummeting space colony's afterburners.
BulletMagnet wrote:
drauch wrote:May just be a fuzzy memory, but doesn't In the Hunt chug a bit? Awesome game and graphics, but I remember it being sloooow.
IIRC the Saturn port has a good deal of slowdown, not sure how much compared to the arcade original or PS version though.
According to system11 some years back, ITH/Kaitei Daisensou's slowdown pecking order from slowest to fastest is SS port -> PCB -> PS1 port.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

V-V stage 6 2nd loop was the hardest I've ever seen my Mega Drive choking... A raining hell of slowdown and huge sprites flickering on the mid boss battle. I loved it. :)
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

This thread + Bangai-o necro bump immediately had me reminisicing about the awesome slowdown induced in both versions of Bangai-o when you activated the full 400x missile array.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:According to system11 some years back, ITH/Kaitei Daisensou's slowdown pecking order from slowest to fastest is SS port -> PCB -> PS1 port.
PS1 version is missing the flying cave rocks, though (at least on default difficulty). I wouldn't trade the PCB for the PS1 port.

Thread reminded me of this classic. Just had the same experience in The Getaway, where it's equally hilarious due to the English accents. Wats with the Buuurd, Harry?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

null1024 wrote:
Despatche wrote:ikaruga slowdown on explosions (gamecube only? not sure how the port differences work) are p.cool

double dragon (ac) slowdown is not cool and fuck that game
Slows down on DC, and IIRC in the arcade. I'm pretty sure that was coded in to make explosions look cooler [or maybe they just made something that was too taxing and the slowdown looked cool and left it there 8) ].

DD in the arcade bothers me. That game is perpetually running under slowdown.
Double Dragon 2 is probably the king of slowdown. This is no problem on the PC Engine version, OTOH. Shame Technos didn't go with 16-bit hardware. Using the 8-bit board was supposedly a cost saving measure or something.

When Double Dragon 3 moved to a 16-bit system, unfortunately Technos wasn't developing it and had East Technology do it instead. Bad move, but at least ET did do far better with Silent Dragon later on. DD3 has REALLY JERKY animation for the characters.

Magic Sword on SNES can really choke sometimes.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Okay, here's a super brutal one: Saturn port of Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty. I DARE you to try and play it.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Acid King wrote:This thread + Bangai-o necro bump immediately had me reminisicing about the awesome slowdown induced in both versions of Bangai-o when you activated the full 400x missile array.
Bangai-O Spirits DS is also full of slowdown. Advance Guardian Heroes has a ton of slowdown too, though, in this case, it's often the bad kind since the game is heavily focused on parrying attacks.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Three sublime examples of the "super slow BOSS K.O."

The Ninja Warriors Again [SFC] Stage clear sequence. Rather stylish robovision fadeout accompanying the slow descent to a dead stop, then BOOM! Back to full colour + speed. Also super satisfying at the end of a tense battle.
Spoiler
Contra The Hard Corps [MD] TRAGIC RAIL MISHAP. Piledrives the nigh-unshakeable framerate through the floor in a split-second. Criminally missing from the GBA Hard Spirits' bastardised version of this stage.
Spoiler
Vampire Killer [MD] Death by parallax and Raizing shrapnel.
Spoiler
Last edited by BIL on Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gradius PCE Cell Stage with max options :shock: :shock: :shock: this is mind expanding slowdown. I saw the messenger of the new God there.

So good. Image
Captain

Post by Captain »

BIL wrote:Gradius PCE Cell Stage with max options :shock: :shock: :shock: this is mind expanding slowdown. I saw the messenger of the new God there.

So good. Image
Та нарын Бурхан буруу юм
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now I want to ROMhack that many options in the PCE version and watch as the machine's CPU creates a singularity that collapses our planet and everything on it into the surface area of a pinhead.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

All of Muchi Pork's arrange mode. It's almost one huge continuous slowdown trip and I think it was intentional.

Special mention.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Bangai-o on DC can slowdown so much the console crashes.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

chempop wrote:Bangai-o on DC can slowdown so much the console crashes.
Spirits on DS has never crashed on me, but filling a custom stage with enough 8-way homing missile turrets and releasing a max burst of your own will bring the framerate down to <1 FPS in a hurry.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How much does Bangai-O N64 slow down? Enough to make the console explode?

Centipede for the Atari 800 has an odd thing where it slows down when shots are fired. I was put off by this at first, but it turned out to only be a minor issue since the game is actually one of the more challenging versions and is actually very accurate gameplay wise.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

It's not a sprite based game, but the section in Ninja Gaiden II (for Xbox 360) where you ascend the stairs, while fighting....ONE MILLION TROOPS...well, maybe not that many, but it seems like it. That is some crazy slowdown.
When I first played that game, when it got to that part, my system just froze. I had to turn it off and start from the last save point. :lol:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Super R-Type, basically whenever there are more than ten sprites on screen. I love the game more than R-Type 2, bit the slowdown is a killer. Fix that, add checkpoints.... best of the series.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

nuts.wad - Instant slideshow classic!
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

BrianC wrote:How much does Bangai-O N64 slow down? Enough to make the console explode?
Yes, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4JkYalTBpU#t=164

Of course I'm cheating a bit here.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Last Resort on Neo-Geo has some really glorious moments in stage 2's gun turret tunnel if you allow the bullets to build up rather than G-bombing the turrets as you go.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Real life. Has major slowdown issues when waiting for something, but goes way too fast otherwise. Needs fixing.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.