Slowdown, The Very Best Of

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Captain

Re: Slowdown's Greatest Hits

Post by Captain »

You just won two free internets.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

With the combined powers of alcohol, HFCS and heavy \m/etal, I see I made a huge fucking mistake not including ALIEN MOTHERFUCKING SOLDIER in this thread. The slowdown accompanying a perfectly-judged PHOENIX FORCE is so sublime, so ephemeral, I never even noticed it was there! :shock: actually I was reading some speedrun notes complaining about it. cunts! >_> It's like UUUUNGHHHHH *fwoosh* HWAAAAAAAAH and then where'd this dead boss come from? in the aftermath of sudden massive trauma, its dying nervous system is causing the burning remains to thrash and clench hard!

Seafood no densetsu
Spoiler
Saigo no SAME-kun~
Spoiler
Fuck ant man - right up the ass (60fps omake ver)
Spoiler
Too good. unf.
system11

Post by system11 »

Yeah - beat this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8JPdnFfLWQ

Good times, trying to shame Sega into fixing it after trying every friendly approach.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Seconding Super R-Type. The lack of mid-level checkpoints can take it from a convenience to a god-damned torture.

It's not an exaggeration to say that SNES Starfox typically runs between 3 and 7 FPS, and is pretty much stuck at 2~3 whenever you hammer the shoot button. They added so many SUPER KEWL FX to the words in the credits sequence that the song ends and then you just watch the remaining several minutes of credits in silence.
By comparison, the slowdown whenever smart bombs, charge shots, or bosses explodes in the N64 version feels pretty damn good. No idea if half of it is intentional or not, though, since 90% of the N64's library seems to have an FPS about as stable as a house of cards.

One of Gate's attacks in Mega Man X6 is to send out a red orb that cause an ASSTON of slowdown. It's supposed to be a time-warping effect, but honestly, the first time I experienced it I thought something had gone horribly SNAFU. Not only does it slow shit down, it also likes to eat your inputs, so imagine that in a boss room that's just a bottomless pit and a random scattering of small platforms. I also never cease to be surprised at the general LACK of slowdown in Ground Scaravich's stage on Xtreme mode, given the unholy levels of enemy spam going on there.

The most enjoyable slowdown in recent memory, though, is Under Defeat HD. Especially if you play the extra ship that constantly shoots homing missiles. Just... constant, glorious, screen-shaking, slow-motion explosive destruction and gawd dayum is it cathartic like nothing else!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Seriously, has no one ever mentioned the Famicom PARODIUS DA!? The fest starts on cat battleship until endgame, is it good? 8)

Or do you want some BIG PARTIES?! Play the game on EU version 8)
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Hagane wrote:Metal Slug 2. I cleared it easily long ago thanks to the absurd levels of slowdown it has. Then I moved to X and proceeded to get demolished. I wonder how in the hell did SNK decide to release the game like that.
Ouch, forgot to quote this.. :oops:

Have you tried the PS2 Anthology port? The MS2 conversation has no slowdown until endgame. Even better if you ran the game on external hard drive, any loading times only last 4 seconds and doesn't load when mid-level changes.
BIL

Re: Slowdown, The Very Best Of

Post by BIL »

Natsume.

U know u are playing FIRST RATE SFC BLAZING GUNS ACTION GAMES when slowdown is not a regular annoyance, but a rare treat!
Spoiler

On big bangs and/or big slams! ME FOOKIN BACK
Spoiler
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Gradius III SFC and Gradius V's stage bossplosion always look cinematic with slowdown
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

copy-paster wrote:Gradius III SFC
Especially a fully powered up Vic viper firing the ring laser during the section with all those transparent blue blobs.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Hagane wrote:Metal Slug 2. I cleared it easily long ago thanks to the absurd levels of slowdown it has. Then I moved to X and proceeded to get demolished. I wonder how in the hell did SNK decide to release the game like that.
I can't really think of anything that tops this. In terms of sprite based games.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

MD Same! when in the later stages a lot of popcorn floods the screen and you're firing your big ol full power fan of bullets at them the game chugs for half a second including the music and it's just very satisfying for some reason
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

NES 1943 always has epic slowdown when your P-38 is weaving and rolling through bullet hail, knocking out turret after turret on some ocean-going juggernaut.
BIL

Post by BIL »

It's shamefur, SHAMEFUR Image that I never posted Saigo no Nindou ITT :cool: Patrician proto-danmaku slowdown when you let lots of projectiles onscreen, then summarily annihilate them and their senders with a deft lash of the triple POW kusarigama:

Palpable whiplash, whistling blade turns enemy ninja to sushi Image
Spoiler

Incidentally, the kusarigama's official name is "Shoryu" or Rising Dragon. I wonder if they blagged it off SF1? HuCard ver has a lower slowdown threshold than the PCB, understandably, but as in most regards, it captures TEH FEEL uncannily well.

MERE FRAMES FROM DISASTUH (■`ω´■)
Spoiler

^^^ NOOB MOVE TBH, I coulda just hopped Ryuichi like so, almost got sliced comin' off the ceiling! You could let him follow you up but not when PURPS got your number! Image

SHOCK TROOPERS - rarely slows down, but when it does, you may be assured RAD SHIT IS GOIN DOWN Image

BOMBAAA
Spoiler