The sordid history of Suda 51's [Kill The Past] saga.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Immryr

Re: The sordid history of Suda 51's [Kill The Past] saga.

Post by Immryr »

cool, i'm looking forward to trying it out. i've never played a visual novel game before but i feel in the mood for something non actiony and i've gone off turn based rpgs for the time being.

one thing that i find surprising is that on steam TSC is listed as having "partial controller support". i would have thought that it would be best played with a controller since the original is a ps1 game.
qmish

Post by qmish »

With controller or not, control scheme is "hello" from 90s either way :P
KAI

Post by KAI »

Finally finished The Silver Case. A real clusterfuckery, but I loved it, and the Yami dlc chapter got me instantly hyped to play FSR

Also finished replaying Killer7. 3 days to clear it. The repetitive gameplay gave me nightmares during those days, not planning to play it ever again.
The game using the same bgm from FSR during the hotel mission's intro is one of the coolest details I've ever seen.
Last edited by KAI on Sun May 27, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAI

Post by KAI »

HOLY FUCKING SHIT KILLER 7 STEAM RELEASE!!! published by NISA... hope it doesn't suck.

Hype aside, Finished FSR a few days ago, it was a fun and weird ride. I finally understand the reason why some reviews were talking shit about how random the game was, TSC MUST be played before this if you don't want to think the characters are spewing nonsense during the entire game.
As cj said, the last chapters were some crazy shit, and the ending was genius imo (even if it was mistranslated :? ).

Playing The 25th Ward right now, loving it a lot so far. Shinko a cutie <3
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

how can one company fuck up so goddamn much
the announcement trailer even has a shot where the framerate counter of Dolphin is visible on the top left
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

KAI wrote:Also finished replaying Killer7. 3 days to clear it. The repetitive gameplay gave me nightmares during those days, not planning to play it ever again.
why exactly are you hyped for the steam release? :O

i actually haven't been able to make myself finish my playthrough of killer7 yet, but i'm currently playing TSC. i'm enjoying it A LOT more than killer7, although they both have repetetive gameplay the story is so much more engaging in TSC.
KAI

Post by KAI »

idk, I thought the game could be a million times better if it had mouse support ala 25th ward, or even new contents, but yeah, it's nisa, zero hopes.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Releasing it on Steam is pretty boring. Playing a console game on a PC is just gross. Still interested in replaying it however so will wait to see what the inevitable PS4 port is like, and probably just play the Gamecube version again.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Or you can just wait till 202X and play the remasters of K7 and FSR suda is planning to do
https://twitter.com/suda_51/status/974994493156999168
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

Did any of you go through every ending of The 25th Ward? I did half a dozen and it got tedious. I don't see myself doing them all.

I enjoyed the game, but I feel that Silver Case is the better of the two. I need to finally get around to FSR.
qmish

Post by qmish »

schnuth wrote:Did any of you go through every ending of The 25th Ward? I did half a dozen and it got tedious. I don't see myself doing them all.

I enjoyed the game, but I feel that Silver Case is the better of the two. I need to finally get around to FSR.
oh, i just downloaded screenshots of those endings (granted they are all jokes) and watched "outro" video on YT.

As for why TSC feels better, imho because Correctness route in 25W feels like it ended prematurely, i expected more, and i didnt really get "what were they trying to say" though some people say its pretty easy to see what the message was. Matchmaker and Placebo/Yuki routes are pretty straightforward and selfcontained though
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

schnuth wrote:Did any of you go through every ending of The 25th Ward? I did half a dozen and it got tedious. I don't see myself doing them all.

I've seen like twenty. Pace yourself, I do them here and there. So far they've all been great, I can't lie.

And yeah, I vastly prefer TSC. It's a much tighter story, 25W has a LOT of dead weight, sadly.

They sure aren't all jokes. Some of them are dead serious.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

I've only played 25th Ward once compared to having been though TSC twice, and I love them both, but 25th Ward is better in pretty much every way. The Placebo chapters, with the Milu/Meru/Miru chatlog dungeons were just perfect. The soundtrack is absolutely ridiculously good and the narrative is even more alienating than before. Perhaps it lacked a solid antagonist, but that just added to the sonambulistic post-panic attack atmosphere. The hideousness of the final Correctness apartment dungeon was as hellishly obtuse as it was unpleasantly satisfying. Totally 'my thing'. Perfectly imperfect sequel.
KAI

Post by KAI »

So, I finally finished The 25th ward, it was an interesting experience, but those anticlimactic cliffhangers...

Hope to see a new Kill The Past game in the near future, maybe something like "Ghost Killer Yuki".
Spoiler
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

KAI wrote:So, I finally finished The 25th ward, it was an interesting experience, but those anticlimactic cliffhangers...

Hope to see a new Kill The Past game in the near future, maybe something like "Ghost Killer Yuki".
Spoiler
Yeah, people pretty unanimously say that's the best chapter of 25W, and I'm inclined to agree.
trunk

Post by trunk »

Just a heads up that they are releasing The Silvercase and 25th Ward on Nintendo Switch as a compilation:
https://nisamerica.com/the-silver-case-2425/
Current Setup:

720P------------------------v
240P->XRGB-3->Edge->4x2 matrix->DLP HDTV
480i/P->YPbPrselect-^ . . ^ . . V-->hdmi2vga->Super Emotia->Tate CRT SDTV
PC->vga2hdmi-------------^
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I'm tempted, but I do already have it on PC/PS4...
trunk

Post by trunk »

I do have both on ps4. I guess I just want to keep supporting in case they might translate the previous games.
Current Setup:

cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

trunk wrote:I do have both on ps4. I guess I just want to keep supporting in case they might translate the previous games.
Syndrome? Wouldn't hold your breath, though a fan translation is pending...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_OcjDm-N74
trunk

Post by trunk »

Oh, that's cool. I hope it gets complete.
Current Setup: