Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
FinalBaton

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by FinalBaton »

I am also intrigued by Quartet arcade. Never mind the fact that it boasts one of the best FM synth tracks around (certainly the best FM synth bittersweet anthem ever made): https://youtu.be/bkyTz1Lwqvw?t=14s

the PSG rendition on the SMS ain't too shabby either! One of my faves on the platform, along with Wonderboy III : the Dragon's trap's Side-Crawler's Dance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2YbwIuhv0E That last one is charming as a motherfuc :O
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:I am also intrigued by Quartet arcade. Never mind the fact that it boasts one of the best FM synth tracks around (certainly the best FM synth bittersweet anthem ever made): https://youtu.be/bkyTz1Lwqvw?t=14s
I know right... good god damn, that tune has some feels going on. :o Like a requiem for the old days.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

__SKYe wrote: Haven't played the PS2 remake, though.
It's basically Aliens with twin stick controls. Haven't played it in a bit, but I think it is pretty much identical to the arcade version.

Side crawler dance is one of my favorite 8 bit tunes ever, very nostalgic for me. Quartet is also fantastic.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I used to be bothered by complaints about "backwards controls"... until I played Double Target SMS. Lovely Stage 1 theme, though. (See here and here for better recordings.)

S. D. I. SMS also has Player 2's pad controlling your ship rather than the targeting reticule, although it's a non-issue since you can just hold it in your left hand. You could do much worse on the Master System. Much, much worse.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
drauch

Post by drauch »

Got all pumped earlier and have been focusing on Alien Syndrome AC tonight. Was going to practice some Bakuretsu but I went got my feathers all ruffled! Don't tell my TRP-STGT team :oops: . Pretty sure I'm safe here in Off Topic 8) .

Got to stage 5 thus far before shit gets real. Pretty sure my scrubby ass can clear it with a little practice. Man, NO ROOM for error here! Gotta be fast and precise, and know when to take those alien boogers out. Miss a diagonal shot and just get destroyed if they're too close. INTENSITY!

Was curious how 1-ups were awarded (if at all), and it seems like after 100K they appear in the :?: boxes at certain points; or, at least this is what I noticed in level 2. Without the 100K it doesn't show up.
(Edit*: Open a "?" container while having exactly 100,000 points for a 1-up.)

Also, I like that even in the AC version it's one credit no matter what, even if you've got more credits in. No messin' around! <3 it.
Last edited by drauch on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Stevens wrote:It's basically Aliens with twin stick controls. Haven't played it in a bit, but I think it is pretty much identical to the arcade version.
Ah, scratch that, I was mistaken, the remake/semi-sequel I meant was the PSP game, which is an actual remake.
Haven't played either of them anyway, but this PSP game seems to be a somewhat different game altogether.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

drauch wrote: Open a "?" container while having exactly 100,000 points for a 1-up.
Cool, thanks!
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

drauch wrote:Got to stage 5 thus far before shit gets real. Pretty sure my scrubby ass can clear it with a little practice. Man, NO ROOM for error here! Gotta be fast and precise, and know when to take those alien boogers out. Miss a diagonal shot and just get destroyed if they're too close. INTENSITY!

Was curious how 1-ups were awarded (if at all), and it seems like after 100K they appear in the :?: boxes at certain points; or, at least this is what I noticed in level 2. Without the 100K it doesn't show up.
(Edit*: Open a "?" container while having exactly 100,000 points for a 1-up.)
Wow. That's it huh? You're a gentleman and a scholar sir. Any idea if you can hoard them? Have 100,000 and run around to ?'s and stock up on lives maybe? Certain risk/reward to that since if it's exactly 100,000 you can't shoot.

Level 5 is certainly when the shit hits the fan, those scrotum looking things are mercilessly fast. My last four runs or so have ended at 5 (with better scores each time though:) I think I may practice via save state. I haven't exactly done better performance wise and I feel like I am flailing on 5 as opposed to the first 4.

Level four became easy after I started running past most of the enemies on side portions.
__SKYe wrote:
Ah, scratch that, I was mistaken, the remake/semi-sequel I meant was the PSP game, which is an actual remake.
Haven't played either of them anyway, but this PSP game seems to be a somewhat different game altogether.

I haven't played the PSP version either. The same one I just learned was released on the Wii also. It doesn't appear to be very good, at least ratings wise.

If you can get your hands on the PS 2 version and you like AS you will probably enjoy it. I am going out to mom's next weekend and will have some down time to spend a little time with it. I'll let you know how I like it after spending this much time with the arcade version:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Those earlier AGES releases are so tricky to judge from a distance... I'm curious about PS2 Alien Syndrome now too. I know at least a few here enjoy it - might just pick up one of the myriad new copies I regularly come across. :smile: Gain Ground's polygonal remake looks fairly naff, but I find it surprisingly engrossing to play. Handles damn near 2D-tight, preserves the arcade's larger playfields (vs the excellent but tighter-packed MD port), and SSH's fiery arranged soundtrack definitely helps offset the middling visuals.

Would ditch it for one of M2's brilliant arcade+console discs in a hearbeat, of course, but I don't like to dwell on roads not taken. :wink:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I have the PS 2 SA compilation they released in the states - Ill give you the low down based on what I remember from the games I played the most or in one case the least.

Golden Axe - This one is shit. Plays like shit that was dropped in some shittier shit. Only reason to ever boot it up is to show someone how bad it is. Avoid.

Space Harrier I recall playing well and being fun.

Outrun, Fantasy Zone and the aforementioned Alien Syndrome are all worth the price of admission.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Thanks. :smile: Golden Axe does seem to be one of the more consistently panned. Was never particularly interested in it, being happy enough with the MD port (and only a casual GA1 fan to begin with).

I briefly owned, but never played the 3D remake of Space Harrier, ten years back... I got what I was assured was a killer deal on a brand new copy of M2's much later, infinitely more desirable Space Harrier II Complete Collection. Opened the parcel and yep, it was the remake. Cunts! Image The M2 disc was already getting be a pain to track down new back then. The kind of port I'd go to hell for, though. That's practically all of their ports, ofc.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I wanted to like Virtua Racing in the compliation more, but it's a bit buggy (and I'm not just talking about the save glitch that occurs if you don't make a save with VR first). Camera angles are a bit lower than the arcade, physics feel different, and the highest gear seems to rev up faster than some of the lower gears.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I can't even play VR, car constantly drifts to one side.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Stevens wrote:Wow. That's it huh? You're a gentleman and a scholar sir. Any idea if you can hoard them? Have 100,000 and run around to ?'s and stock up on lives maybe? Certain risk/reward to that since if it's exactly 100,000 you can't shoot.

Level 5 is certainly when the shit hits the fan, those scrotum looking things are mercilessly fast. My last four runs or so have ended at 5 (with better scores each time though:) I think I may practice via save state. I haven't exactly done better performance wise and I feel like I am flailing on 5 as opposed to the first 4.

Level four became easy after I started running past most of the enemies on side portions.
I think you can. I read around and it seems it's possible to farm lives. I've never even gotten the extra life myself yet, as I usually die in the process of trying to rack up enough points/beat the clock, so I wind up kinda defeating the purpose.

The big killer in stage five is that damn overhead glass. It only obscures your viewpoint a little bit, but when those scrotums are fast it only adds to the agony. Not to mention the little bastards almost always run diagonally. Bout to boot it up and try again. I'm getting to the boss now, who doesn't seem too tough, just need to figure out positioning.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Just want to say that your hitbox in this is about as big as a freight liner. It's like someone shooting a BB gun at your house and hitting you inside every time.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

drauch wrote:The big killer in stage five is that damn overhead glass.
Was going to say something about this before, but ADD kicked in and I forgot. Yeah Sega knew exactly what they were doing there. That glass can suck it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Stevens wrote:
mycophobia wrote:I should pick Alien Syndrome back up sometime. I was only ever able to get to stage 5 where shit starts getting real with the super fast enemies.
Only took me a few credits to get to five. I think I can 1 CC it:D
Good luck! The last boss is a nasty surprise.

Alien Syndrome's PS2 remake is a bit slower and denser than the arcade version, more shooty to take advantage of the twinstick controls. I don't have a strong preference between the two.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Played a bit more this evening, current thoughts:

When stage 5 starts your first stop needs to be that prison looking spot below you. There are a few cell type areas and more importantly a flamethrower (I also use it for stage two's boss).

This thing is key for clearing stage 5 and its boss easily. Its range is meh but it is always on. You can 360 the pad and pretty much kill everything around you.
Spoiler
I pick safe spots and kill the five aliens on the top of the screen, I don't bother with the 3 on the bottom.

Then I position my guy just north of the hole under the word TOP. From here you can hit the boss and he can't touch you:D

Stage 6 - The flamethrower is again key for the boss. It will keep those caterpillar things it shits out at bay. Hang out towards the bottom of the screen and fry its liver.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

You can farm lives.

Hit 100,000 and grabbed both ?'s on stage two and both were 1 ups. I'm guessing this happens at 200,000 and beyond also.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Finally beat the end boss in Hard Corps: Uprising in Arcade mode 8) Only took me like 70 credits :shock:

Someday, I will 1cc this game. Someday...
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
drauch

Post by drauch »

Finally got the 1CC this morning. Might move on to the NES game shortly. Really love it, but glad to be done! Last boss certainly isn't too hard, but that hit box of yours... Ha, sorry, I'll quit complaining! :lol:

I actually took a bit of a different route on the bosses. Stage 5 I primarily used FB and ignored all the prisons except the very top one, and by the time you circle around you've got enough rescued with a laser in between the last section that I used on the boss. There's a small window where you won't take damage in the far right if you keep running, so that last tentacled freak can't grab you. If you stay still he will, but if you maintain movement he can't get ya. Then once you have the buggers clear you can shoot him diagonally and he does down quick.
Spoiler
Stage six I also went laser. The very first baby-faced caterpillar was the only one I had to take out direct, then you can just get in the bottom right corner and shoot diagonally. Anything that gets close should get taken out, while at the same time your shots are hitting the boss. Glad to see that multiple guns can be employed successfully! Would be curious to see someone put the B shot to good use, if there is such a thing.

I dunno, I think Stage 5 is probably the hardest overall. You're certainly faced with a really fast respawn rate and frequently enemies in six, but with the slightly obscured viewpoint and how fast those bastards are in five it feels like the harder level to me, especially since six doesn't have any doors for the enemies to build up on.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The AC game sounds a bit more nuanced than the FC port WRT rescues. On FC you need to grab every captive before the exit will open - there's no optional risking your neck for every last one. Bit dry! It only gets somewhat interesting in the last couple stages, where you only have enough time for one lap and missing any can easily render you already dead.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

:|

I scrolled half the page and don't know what game you're talking about.
The problems are reeeal

Edit: Got it now. That reminds me, Does anyone rate Alien Storm on MD ?
Last edited by Blinge on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
drauch

Post by drauch »

There's some footage on YT of someone doing Loop 3. Looks pretty nutty! Instead of 10 hostages it's 16, and everything seems a bit faster. A few boss swaps as well. Almost every fight ends with HURRY UP, only seconds on the timer before he turns them into mush. Intense! :shock:

We're talking about Alien Syndrome! :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Yeah I was just watching that! Game moves a helluva lot quicker than Sanritsu's (still eminently playable) FC port! Just the one loop there AFAIK. Also loving Stephen Hawking on announcer duties! te tyme bommb iss SETT

And oh shit, the AC version of boss theme "KILLER INSTINCT" is cool. Liking those kettle drums' emphasising an air of dire struggle. And the hard, clanky bass is suddenly reminding me of Brad Fiedel's classic Terminator OST, never a bad thing.
Blinge wrote:Does anyone rate Alien Storm on MD ?
One of those meat & potatoes AC ports I'd like to get at some point, to go with Juuoki, Golden Axe and Columns. I frequently write its name when I mean Alien Syndrome, and vice-versa! Image Yet more "model-pretty space people in colourful jumpsuits fucking up hideous aliens with lasers and flamethrowers" from 1980s Sega. The Lycra Trilogy. Except this time Stephen Hawking isn't merely emcee, but is looking to tear shit up too!

Code: Select all

oi m8 do u want 2 get faaacked
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

drauch wrote:Finally got the 1CC this morning. Might move on to the NES game shortly. Really love it, but glad to be done! Last boss certainly isn't too hard, but that hit box of yours... Ha, sorry, I'll quit complaining! :lol:
Nice work! As far as the ginormous hit box that's just SOJ being greedy. They want your quarters:D
drauch wrote: I actually took a bit of a different route on the bosses. Stage 5 I primarily used FB and ignored all the prisons except the very top one, and by the time you circle around you've got enough rescued with a laser in between the last section that I used on the boss. There's a small window where you won't take damage in the far right if you keep running, so that last tentacled freak can't grab you. If you stay still he will, but if you maintain movement he can't get ya. Then once you have the buggers clear you can shoot him diagonally and he does down quick.
Spoiler
Stage six I also went laser. The very first baby-faced caterpillar was the only one I had to take out direct, then you can just get in the bottom right corner and shoot diagonally. Anything that gets close should get taken out, while at the same time your shots are hitting the boss. Glad to see that multiple guns can be employed successfully! Would be curious to see someone put the B shot to good use, if there is such a thing.

I dunno, I think Stage 5 is probably the hardest overall. You're certainly faced with a really fast respawn rate and frequently enemies in six, but with the slightly obscured viewpoint and how fast those bastards are in five it feels like the harder level to me, especially since six doesn't have any doors for the enemies to build up on.
I wound up seeing that 5 boss strategy used in someones run on YT and thought the same thing. Agree on five being the hardest, not for the right reasons. Come on Sega, not being able to fucking see?

I think B is useless in the arcade version, but they revamped it for the PS 2 version and I have seen it used there with purpose. It fires out canisters and they explode into a pretty decent sized kill zone. Seems to be the go to for stage three's boss there.

Speaking of the PS 2 version (I know I keep doing that) it swaps the first two bosses. I watched a few minutes of it on YT and I am really looking forward to playing it this weekend. I forgot how much they actually changed. Super Alien Syndrome might be a more apt name for it. There are some new weapons and a few of the bosses have some new ways to kill you.

Should have some time today for some runs. I love that it is a really quick game, even by arcade standards. You don't play Street Fighter by any chance?
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

FYI on the Japanese versions of Alien Syndrome you have to rescue all 16 hostages on each stage from the beginning I believe.

Also I'm officially giving up on Kaiketsu Yanchamaru. I can get to the final boss on one credit but there's just way too much luck involved with that fight. Too many times I've walked up to the bubbles section and died immediately; insanely frustrating.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Stevens wrote:You don't play Street Fighter by any chance?
Nah, used to locally, but never online.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Both Ecco the Dolphins on Mega Drive.

You are the only time I will ever consent to using cheat codes. Amazing atmosphere and music, but I'm pretty sure the dev was the only person who tested it.

I open a door (crystal) and it drops off the screen. Use my map and the fucking thing is back. Hello did you miss me? I JUST FUCKING OPENED YOU AND NOW I CAN'T?!

Ambiguity in a game is fine. You want me to find my own way? OK. Hard is also fine. But both? Yeah bad combo.

Kind of like drinking a lot and staying out late at 40. You can stay out really late or you can drink a lot. But both? Yeah bad combo.

How you cats feel about Sega's favorite aquatic animal? Well 2nd favorite after Semen

BIL

Post by BIL »

Been years since I booted up my copies, but I quite like both MD Eccos in spite of their undeniable rough edges. I regard them as 2D survival horrors, basically. Simple key-finding / resource-minding that I wouldn't rate in a dedicated action game, but which suffices as a chassis for uneasy, atmospheric exploration. The sense of vulnerability in the open and claustrophobia in the deep is quite unique among scrolling games - and in their deliberate, sonar-assisted underwater setting, they're rare examples of a restrictive POV enhancing rather than degrading. Those fucking spider crabs in the Arctic stages, ugh. (contrast with Alien 3 MD, which has some intriguing aspirations towards a similar vein of scrolling survival horror, but whose camera largely spoils things - with DGAF cheapshot spawns finishing it off)

Wouldn't have gone too far out of my way for them, but a nice deal on NOS copies of both fell into my lap so I thought why not. Got a minor thing for Western productions in NTSCJ format too.