Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Jeneki

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Post by Jeneki »

Star Lurker wrote:MAME fixed the 3D stages in Contra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awHTp6hYXcI
Holy shit awesome!

Since that video is 3 hours long I will ask here: is this a fixed rom (which would also fix it in Mister), or something mame specific?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Left the video on in the background when it was released - AFAIK, it's simply an update in the newest version of MAME. Hopefully the work will benefit the Mister project, too (and everyone else who's not Gotch :mrgreen:)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I remember reading that the reason Gotch got it right had to do with them doing their own rom dump whereas M2 did not on the Contra collection hence the same issue as with MAME. Can't remember the source so take that with a huge grain of salt.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I heard similar, but from what I can tell, the fix concerns faulty emulation of game logic - I'm a total layman, but from Haze's video it doesn't sound like any redumping took place, or would've even helped.

Haze also points out there's still a bit of polishing to do - the "Continue?" message will leave traces of its pixels onscreen, if you accept. The PCB and ACA don't do this. Obviously not as relevant as the 3D stage issue, but I like that attention to detail.

EDIT: Aha, I remember now - that particular clip was regarding the "Continue?" message leaving pixels on the title screen in MAME - again, ACA/PCB don't do this.

I also enjoyed Haze's observation that Contra had been broken in MAME for longer than the game itself had existed when it was first added to the emulator. :lol:
Last edited by BIL on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

No amount of fixing emulation will change the fact that everyone will always love the NES port more. :mrgreen:

Interesting to see the 2 port heavyweights going head to head on the same games this gen with Gotch coming out over M2. Although the Contra and CV collections, while solid, obviously don't represent M2's potential in the best light. I'd be curious how things would shake down between their respective Darius ports. I imagine if the emulation is basically equal, it would come down to the amenities of the M2 version giving it the edge.

Which reminds me, I've been meaning to download Gotch's souped up ACA Rygar on Switch for the longest time.
BIL

Post by BIL »

The way I see it, things worked out the best way possible this gen - having a super-deluxe boutique house in M2 for Cave/Raizing/Compile, and a dependable workhorse in Gotch/Hamster for cultier but no less worthwhile titles (I wonder if there's still an ongoing relationship - ACA's quality certainly hasn't suffered since Gotch's name stopped appearing on new releases). I really hope the status quo persists into the next generation - given M2's comments on more horsepower being welcome for Batrider etc, I could imagine similar sentiments for potential ACA Konami/IREM stuff, too.

If M2 can pull off their DECO+Toaplan ambitions while ACA keeps trucking along, that'll be something to behold.

Also hoping the upcoming PS4/et al versions of Capcom Arcade Stadium fare better than the patchy Switch debut. :/ Only a slim hope tbh, I've got my hands more than full, and I don't even have a Switch yet. Would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping M2's AGES and Gotch's Namco Museum stuff showed up on PS4/5. :mrgreen:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I saw a bit of Haze's video, and it seems like the mame fix is pretty simple, and not something really unique. As I understood it, it's simply that the PCB uses a certain IC to do taxing math operations like multiplication and division, or at least the latter, which is used to calculate the trajectory of the aimed stuff in the 3D stages (I guess to account for the perspective). A lot of old CPUs like the 6809 aren't able to do that on their own.
This chip was "unemulated" until now, but someone noticed that it's also used on a few other PCBs that are emulated correctly in mame, so they just reused the drivers for those.
I haven't looked at the code, but I'd imagine that it's a very simple thing to emulate, so Contra being broken like that in MAME for so long must certainly be credited to either no one caring about the bug, or no one knowing about it (at least among the people with the skill to fix it), not that it's a hard game to emulate.

It might sound surprising that division isn't used anywhere else in the game's code, but it's actually not very common in classic video game logic (trigonometry is more common, but usually handled via look-up tables). For anything playing into the 8x8 nature of background tiles and so on, bit shifting does the job much more effectively than a mathematical division.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I've got my hands more than full, and I don't even have a Switch yet.
Yeah there are just so many choices these days. When I consider buying a game now its not about price but whether I see myself actually committing time to it. I have so many ACA games on my console that I've barely scratched the surface of. Any arcade game worth its salt potentially has 100s of hours of gameplay there when it comes to scoring.

I'm not that great of a player, but I'll trudge along and get good at a particular game over a long time just through attrition. Doing it over from scratch feels like a big thing, so I pick my games carefully. Unless it's Saturday and I just drank a gin n tonic and there's a new ACA game that's only another 7.99.
Star Lurker

Post by Star Lurker »

As an addendum: The Contra fix is going to be in the next version of MAME, which will be coming out a bit before the end of the month, following the usual MAME update cycle.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Spent the better part of today working towards a 1CC of Adventures of Batman & Robin on the MegaDrive.

Though, almost any clear of this game should be expected to be a 1CC, due to how dying cripples the player. There are a few places where you could make a solid recovery depending on the distribution of weapon powerups in the area where you died, but if you're good enough to make it to the end, that's probably not where you'll die. On one hand, this feels like one of the harder MegaDrive games I've played, but on the other hand I went from zero to 1CC in just a day, so it's probably frustrating more than it's difficult. Last time I tried to make a dent in it, I couldn't beat the first boss >_>

I can't really recommend it, but it overall feels like a game that could have been good if it weren't, well, the run'n'gun variant of a euroshmup, full of many of the classic mistakes made in those games. In fact, it feels like an attempt at a Treasure game, made in Europe. Though it also manages to perfectly avoid some of the more egregious euroshmup tropes. Still, there's an incredibly long exhausting and mostly superfluous actual shmup stage in the middle of the game that suffers from the worst case of inertia you've ever seen in such.

Lots of interesting setpieces and enemy designs litter the game, and pretty much every single part overstays its welcome. You need to collect like six or so weapon items of the same color to upgrade your weapon to max, and you pretty much need it to be at max to have any chance of survival (and for the game to be any entertaining to play, with all the bullet sponges at play). Several chokepoints in the game feel like DPS checks, where simply not having strong enough firepower will get you killed, which in turn makes it even harder to survive, trapping you in a continuous downward spiral, a design that just feels thoroughly awful.
Fortunately, the only thing that'll drop your weapon power is losing a life, so as long as you stay alive you'll do fine. That is, until the final stage which introduces a weapon power-down, and picking one up at that point might as well be game over (unless it happens right before the gauntlet leading up to the final boss).

You have a beefy lifebar, too, and tons of enemies and other items drop heart refills, so the game has this weird pace where performance in certain areas is mostly pointless because you'll be constantly stocked up, while at other places it's a race to make it to the next healing opportunity, which reminds me of certain beat'em ups, especially in how each new sub-stage refills your health as well.

When the game is at its best, you're making good use of your moves, kicking through charging enemies while shooting at threats in other directions and jumping over aimed bullets. At those moments the game has a really good flow with surprisingly solid controls, and it actually comes across as a really good game. When it's at its worst you're just ducking in a strategic point hoping to out-DPS a chaotic enemy you have no hope to go about in any more tactical manner.
kitten

Post by kitten »

^^ i hated that game so much, it felt like some sort of unholy marriage between your usual euroshmup and battletoads. the shmup stage is over 15 entire minutes long and there's a segment where for over 6 unbroken minutes you can just hold down the shot button, not move one iota, and emerge with full health. absolutely incompetent design abortion, which is a huge shame because the visual work put into it is extremely laborious and pretty interesting, especially for a western game. i was really ambivalent about jesper kyd before i laid hands on it and then came around to the opinion of hating his music after having it repetitively droning for an entire day. currently having an acute recollection of the stage 1 track playing and how much contempt i had for booting up another play of it just to knock it out. beyond my personal disdain for kyd, what on fucking earth was with choosing his euroscene jams for something based on a property with a gorgeous shirley walker score?

- -

anyway, howdy y'all, decided to drop in because i have some sort of burning question on my mind: i recall BIL at some point asking in some thread on here which game it is - a belt scroller i believe - where someone belts out this guttural "GO! GO!" on scene transition. i remember him getting an answer or otherwise finding it himself and posting it, i think? anyway, it's been on my mind for a few months, now, and i can't remember what on earth it was. it was one i had internalized myself at the time and was happy to have someone point out the game, but my memory for recalling such things is awful. anyone want to help me out?

most of my game playing is for friends on largely private streams, these days, and i've not been doing much hardcore stuff. occasional runs through suggestions or favorites, but not really going to any particularly new territory or particularly impressive runs. lots of fun, though! been (often pleasantly) occupied with a lot of other stuff outside of video gaming, just not had much to say or report on here.

gave another 100% run through mischief makers and went on some konami/treasure spree for a while the other week (in which i played cv: bloodlines for the first time in years) - i didn't realize mischief/trouble makers was by suganami/CHOCO MONKEY, the alien soldier guy, but man does it make perfect sense. feels like i've never seen it discussed at much length on here, but it feels like the culmination of a lot of treasure design trends. from its anarchic take on pacing that flowers into some aberrant mutation of traditional arcade ethos to its absurdly crafted boss battles juxtaposed strangely with nonsense gimmick stages and offbeat humor, it's got that DNA pretty vibrantly ingrained in it...and it feels more like an actual video game communicating some sort of sense of purpose than worse treasure games that just succumb to total silliness & self-obsessed concept like bangai-o. feels like that strain of design first profoundly visibly manifested back in bucky o' hare fc and was present all throughout both konami & treasure's mega drive presence (they seemed almost competing with each other to produce the most insane situation & setpiece rushes).

anyone on here a mischief makers fan? for as much as a lot of it frustrates me or feels it doesn't produce a cohesive whole, i'm periodically drawn back to it and can't help but love it. some treasure games frustrate me because it feels like they require some unusual memorization & application that often feels counter-intuitive or disruptive to the pacing, but mischief makers just breaks things down into dozens of segments that allow for that chaos to bloom into its own thing rather than tank the run of a classically constructed game. i've never really had confidence in treasure's ability to produce a properly paced marathon action title, so this breaking things up feels more like the true design orientation for a lot of their usual principles. getting the boss fights down to no damage & quick kills is superbly thrilling and i get to still stop and smell the roses during other stages.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

there's a segment where for over 6 unbroken minutes you can just hold down the shot button, not move one iota, and emerge with full health
While a huge portion of the shmup stage feels so inconsequential that this might as well be true, that doesn't sound likely to me. A big part of the stage is actually quite challenging, it's just mitigated by the fact that enemies show up every now and then dropping enough hearts to heal you back up. But you still need to hunt down and hit those enemies, and the hearts that you need to pick up afterwards are kinda easy to miss as well. While it's easy to get healed back up at a few key points in the stage, it's also pretty easy to die if you don't put in a minimum of effort.

There are honestly a few good ideas in the stage that wouldn't feel as wasted had they been in a better game - my favourite are the quick semi-homing rockets that you can take out right before they hit you if you quickly place yourself in front of them, eventually you'll need to dodge over and under some of them that can't be destroyed in time, but moving away makes their movements more erratic which means the best course of action is trying to get back into a new placement where you can shoot down a few of them again.
They aren't difficult (and would probably be more of a non-issue without the absurd inertia in the controls), but there's a fun dynamic rhythm to them that I enjoy. They are also probably the main source of HP recovery, and definitely can't be survived by just standing still and holding the fire button.

Like a lot of other sections of the game, the shooter stage could be easily skimmed into a much shorter setpiece with a more condensed challenge, rather than every single type of formation being repeated into oblivion, challenging the player to stay awake before you finally get to the tougher part of the zeppelin.
kitten

Post by kitten »

it is true and i could record if need be - during my runs of the game i became so bored with the stage i gave it a shot, and it pays off. i believe that health pick-ups either spawn in at a consistent placement on the y-axis or are determined to come in based on your current placement on the y-axis, allowing you to remain perfectly still and escape 6 entire minutes of game with no effort or movement. it is abject dogshit. iirc, the specific 6 minute segment (it is literally a fifteen minute long stage) is several minutes before the blimp shows up to a minute or so into it.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

kitten wrote:anyway, howdy y'all, decided to drop in because i have some sort of burning question on my mind: i recall BIL at some point asking in some thread on here which game it is - a belt scroller i believe - where someone belts out this guttural "GO! GO!" on scene transition. i remember him getting an answer or otherwise finding it himself and posting it, i think? anyway, it's been on my mind for a few months, now, and i can't remember what on earth it was. it was one i had internalized myself at the time and was happy to have someone point out the game, but my memory for recalling such things is awful. anyone want to help me out?
That was in this very thread, two years ago! How time flies.

To answer your question, the game was Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. :D Fantastic game. It starts out nice and easy, then becomes impossibly hard.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
kitten

Post by kitten »

thank ya kindly! :D
Image | Image
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I have always wanted to play that Batman game (if its the one I'm thinking of...) since its incredibly impressive for a Genesis game. Like, there's some worldclass visual trickery going on there that reminds me of the best of Treasure. Sad to see it compared to Euro games though. =(

And you can count me in the Mischief Makers fan club. That was actually my first exposure to Treasure and I've been a fan ever since. Shake Shake!
Marc

Post by Marc »

I think Mischief Makers is, these days, genuinely one of the only reasons I'd ever own an N64 again. The others (Wave Race, 1080), are probably unplayable frame-rate wise these days.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hey kitten! You never come empty-handed. :mrgreen: I picked up the JP version of Mischief Makers pretty much on a lark, a couple years back. I'd heard lots of positive rumblings over the years, but never seen them elucidated so well until now. I'd no idea about the CHOCO CONNECTION, I'd have jumped on it a lot sooner if so. :shock:
WelshMegalodon wrote:That was in this very thread, two years ago! How time flies.
I can't believe I lost my shit at Blocky-kun like that :oops: That kinda talk is why this thread gets Net Nannied at three separate workplaces I'm aware of for "Lethal Weapons" and "Offensive Weapons" :lol:
Marc wrote:I think Mischief Makers is, these days, genuinely one of the only reasons I'd ever own an N64 again. The others (Wave Race, 1080), are probably unplayable frame-rate wise these days.
There will always be Two Great Reasons For An N64 in my household :cool:

1) Sin & Punishment (still the overall best Cabalesque imo - not that NAM75's bitter intensity and Wild Guns' world-beatingly smooth controls don't give it a brutal run for its money, but the rollicking stage design and Alien Soldier-calibre intensity put it over the top imo)

2) Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (AKI's finest hour, all it needs is a translation FAQ, readily available at GameFAQs - the ultimate in party/hardcore 4P brawling, a snap to pick up but if a noob runs up on a pro, the only snap's gonna be that mahfuckin elbow joint naw mean Image)

...aaaand a whole raft of first/second-party Nintendo stuff, which I'll still go to bat for. Mario 64's always a good breezy time. Wave Race has actually held up, I think... then again, I'm very forgiving of the era's polygonal racers. Star Fox 64, its annoyingly overlong interstitial cutscenes aside, is a credibly intense rail shooter. Bangaioh is probably good, I dunno, I got it as a Black Label for the more aggression-oriented DC ver. I tend to allow Treasure a bit of blind faith, they're usually alright and sometimes really MFN good. :3
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've still never played S&P, I guess I should add it to my Wii U.
Damn, forgot about the rasslin' games! Pure brilliance, never bettered in multi-player for me.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

"Do I have 2 go back 2 the hell again??? :[ :[ :["

Post by BIL »

TSUMI TO BATSU is Treasure at their best - exuberant, inventive, technically airtight and rigorously hardcore. While its format is essentially Wild Guns via Panzer Dragoon - control is strictly 2D, complete with dodge roll, doublejump, and melee counter, while the character autopilots through the 3D stages - I consider it a spiritual Alien Soldier sequel, too. The game-length boss parade is unmistakable, as is the learning curve - partially knowing their capabilities, partially mastering yours - that'll see once-grueling gauntlets demolished in rapid succession. I knew I was in love when the second stage's mech midboss was no longer taking me close to timeout, instead exploding under the force of my gun/sword BATSU while still in his opening phase, so the subsequent dragon midboss would come screaming in wreathed in burning wreckage. Ala AS, the performance ceiling is sky high.

It also shares AS's balance of forgiving survival play VS 1HKO prestige play - albeit it's not your attack power that'll take a dive in S&P, but your score. It's one of the rare console original games with a viable scoring system - medals will stack in value Garegga-style, as long as you remain unscathed.

Alongside Taromaru and Little Ralph, one of its gen's three action originals which I'd put up against the best of the much better-stocked prior two. Easily the kind of game to keep a whole console around for. :cool:

---

Speaking of Cabalesques! Bagged a NAM-1975 no-miss yesterday. Tough but very fair game, tightening the screws in its closing third. The fifth boss is an RNG viper's nest, even after careful dismantling - the sixth stage's waves will crush if not decisively countered. The last boss's mixup of lazy mortars and vicious snipes exemplifies groove-based design, showcasing the excellent dash/roll mechanics. Simple yet almost tangibly unruly pattern, a pulse-pounding finish.

Image Image

From casual credits over the years, I'd regarded NAM as utilitarian - trading on launch fanfare and ruefully hilarious cod-Kubrick. Finally getting to grips, I was pleasantly surprised. While the action is workhorse, it's a serious, polished game, with some very smart i-frame use; not merely for easy outs, but to facilitate otherwise impossibly fierce attacks, with a wicked double-edged recovery. The roll is a deathtrap, if not integrated with the bullet-herding walk and explosive dash - a deft juggling act, giving NAM more articulated handling than its 80s forebears, while staying far clear of the monotony than can afflict overly i-frame reliant games. In an excellent touch, advanced enemies have their own invincible rolls, which you can deliberately bait/punish with a quick MG burst; plug 'em with a grenade as they recover for a quick kill.

GOOD FIGHTING IS REQUIRED (■`ω´■)
Spoiler

I see why NAM annoys scoreplayers - goddamn random minibosses not comin' out to play! 3; They're relatively easy, short battles, tbh - especially with their generously refilling your grenades beforehand. Nowhere as dangerous as the final two stages and their bosses. Still, I love seeing them - their machine designs have an obscenely chunky, flame-belching aspect rarely found among the "normal" enemies.

Spoiler

I wish the sprites were a bit beefier, nearer the proportions of the attract sequence. Additionally, it's only the (brilliant) final stage where enemies make use of the bush, attacking and disappearing with quickness. Weird, for a game modeled on one of the most infamous jungle conflicts in living memory. On the other hand, I do like the practicality of its small sprites - easy to track, and facilitating some massive onslaughts. The end of stage 4 (airfield) is a real handful, with its deeply layered sniper/grenadier/heavy mixups. They're also exceptionally well-animated, a fine tradeoff. Ultimately, it's always a treat when my primary criticisms of an arcade game are aesthetic.

BACK TO THE NIGHTMARE. ()

A few run notes:
Spoiler
  • The stage 5 boss gang is probably the single deadliest threat. Took a bit of practice to figure out a safe strategy, and even then, it'll merely get you over the initial hurdle. This is my model opener - it'll consistently wipe out both Heavies. Get in the right corner, grenade Heavy #1 to death. Roll out as the others close in, dash to the left corner, then kill Heavy #2 with focus fire. Even with both dead, the fight has only begun - the bosses' barrel mixups are lethal RNG, and panic rolling will quickly see you shot/gassed - but you'll be on vastly stabler ground.

At this point, the bosses will be closing in again - I'm very proud of discovering the left corner dodge on my own. :mrgreen: As shown, with good roll timing, they have a very hard time hitting you. It's not to be abused - eventually, you're gonna get a barrel chucked at you - but it's a reliable stopgap, when lingering clouds make the center too hot to handle.
  • You can actually manipulate Chris (poster girl and lady helper)'s position - let her follow you to a desired spot, then hold [shot + dash] and she'll freeze in place. Dash away and resume firing; she'll cover the spot, as long as you're either firing, or holding [shot+dash]. She only appears in even-numbered stages, and it's only in stage 4 I make use of this trick - the second round of hangars is a bit easier with Chris covering the opposite end of the screen, rather than bunching up next to you. Still, gotta take what you can get.
  • Heavy blue bombers seem more easily shot down if you target the space just above them - parking the crosshairs at the top screen edge will do the trick. This seems to apply to st4's boss heli, too, but not st6's midboss carrier, or the smaller "Huey" helis.
  • Metal Slug vets (and Ikari/Guevara ones) will instantly recognise the learning curve attached to Grenade expenditure. Finishing a stage with grenades in stock? Having trouble with a chokepoint? Figuring out where to spend those munitions will make life dramatically easier.
  • Brown zako rifles aren't to be underestimated - but neither do you need to undly prioritise them. If you're busy with other targets, simply stay out of their conical firing zones.
  • Grey special forces, found only in the final stage's grasslands, can be speedkilled with a well-timed grenade as they emerge. If they survive to enter the fray, you can force them to somersault with a shot - this'll leave them wide-open for a fatal grenade. Pink SFs, while not as deadly, can be set up similarly.
Stevens

Re: "Do I have 2 go back 2 the hell again??? :[ :[ :["

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote: ruefully hilarious cod-Kubrick.
Not unique for this - but I love how the devs...er...borrowed some still frames from Full Metal Jacket. Must just be a coincidence.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nam+75+ ... 5&dpr=1.75

:lol:
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I like to think the barely-visible "BOY I LVE YOU" on Da Nang's final building was a pixel artist's shy attempt at going full 2 Live Crew - LONG TIME. :lol:

Spoiler

(spoiler: there is, in fact, an MI-24 gunship parked up there :shock:)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Never given Nam a look. Perhaps now it is long time!
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That reminds me - SNK also bring the obligatory Sgt. Elias reference ;-;7 I've been collecting them lately. Image

Crime Fighters (1989) This guy's the biggest asswipe in a game full of annoying bosses, always good to see him go!
Spoiler

NAM-1975 (1990) Always mildly perturbed by the phrasing "My new weapon." Mind control? Engrish? Deliberate Engrish? "Our" would jar less, but I like the effect!
Spoiler

Shock Troopers (1997) Bitchass blue boss yowls like a chump when perforated, try running away this time asshole (■`ω´■)
Spoiler

Can't recall if anyone in the NES version of Platoon hits their knees in a hail of bullets while plaintively flinging their hands skyward, but I remember it being kinda bad. One of those genre grab-bag titles ala Bayou Billy and The Lone Ranger, both of whom (while not Konami's best) I recall being a lot more likeable! Although these days I would probably go for the former's original FC incarnation, the supposedly less annoying MADDO SHITTY, if anything!

Spoiler
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Sumez wrote:Spent the better part of today working towards a 1CC of Adventures of Batman & Robin on the MegaDrive.
That game would be good if they selectively cut out like half of its length.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Indeed, I just recently suggested exactly the same thing:

Scrap between 50-80% of every scene, get rid of the power up sequence (just have each weapon at max all the time), and maybe remove some hp from the enemies that are still too spongey, and finally balance out what remains by removing most of the hp refills that are just given to you.

Even with some euro tendencies still remaining, the result could be a really enjoyable game.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I'm set to start streaming Metal Slug on Sega Satin in 15 min. have no idea if everything will work or if technical difficulties will rear their ugly heads

https://youtu.be/JK-XwtkmhGg

I've barely played the game so this is me learning it and getting wrecked.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice Allen (st3 bald badman) fight! I was goin "USE TEH DOWNSHOT" but you actually got on even footing and survived without the melee exploit, that's tricky. :cool:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: Can't recall if anyone in the NES version of Platoon hits their knees in a hail of bullets while plaintively flinging their hands skyward, but I remember it being kinda bad.
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't too good since it's a port of an Ocean game that I heard wasn't too good in the first place. Odd choice for Sunsoft to port to NES.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

You can only play as a single guy in the port! All the things to cut from Platoon and Sunsoft cut the freaking PLATOON.

It's not worth being recalled to Natorm headquarters over, but the C64 original was an OK playthrough. Of course, the bar's lower on that platform.

I think FMJ's a stronger film than Platoon as well.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore