Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by BIL »

EmperorIng wrote:Too many people on pcefx forums "prefer" the PCE version, but when you obsess over a niche japanese console (with an already small offering of action games) you tend to "appreciate" a lot of utter shit.
Heresy... (・`ω´・) Can even the LORD forgive these hardware-fetishising cunts? (・`W´・)

NEC/Hudson fanboys should have more pride, that rascally bee is associated with three GOAT Ninja Sidescrollers! Ninja Spirit, Hagane and Ninja Cop, obv. Yeah they only developed one (and for KONAMI, o bitter reversal of fortune) but ain't nothing get done without the cash money! Ninja Ryukenden PCE's a disaster, GET THAT CRAP OUTTA MY FACE (and my test ROMZ folder).
BrianC wrote:I wasn't too impressed by what I tried of the PCE NG. I find it interesting how "updated" conversions of 8-bit games often end up being the inferior versions. Especially disappointing when said conversions actually have inferior graphics compared to the 8-bit versions.
In addition to verging on often horrific Western PC Port Of Japanese Arcade Game territory, it was also reminding me of PCE-CD Double Dragon II... which I can't comment on mechanically (never bothered), but certainly looks goofy as all hell. Not that the FC one's that much of a looker, but those stubby semi-superdeformed Technos sprites have a gritty dignity. Frickin PCE Lee Bros look like they were drawn by a young Chris Chan. I know that goofy look!
Kino wrote:I'll save you some time. Son Son II. Just... Son Son II.
Ta, Ryukenden's out and Son Son II's in. :smile:

Reminded me that I need to try out that second Genpei Touma Den too. I just fired up what I thought was the right ROM, and as I've been up for the past 24hrs got a bit worried. I remember you saying it wasn't as weird as the original, but Japanese folklore was boning my mind so hard I could smell sake. Then I realised IT WAS ACTUALLY PORT OF ORIGINAL ROFL. Didn't know that even existed... the sequel seems to go for freakishly cheap, incidentally. Imma try out both.

edit: hory shiet, GFDII may be the prettiest HuCard I've ever seen. :o Can't comment on the game too much (seems neat) but I love those vibrant ink wash-esque backdrops. Gives a sort of marionette quality to the huge multisprite characters.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

Ranger X

Fantastic game. The ex-up vehicle is pretty brilliant - great to toy around with and hugely versatile; it's almost a shame that you only have it for like half the game (even though the aerial support craft is badass too - storming through the forest or military base with its airstrikes backing you up is great). I'm not someone who really sought out mech games specifically, but this and Valken probably made me a fan; weighty characters like this - especially ones who are this well-realized aesthetically - are great fun. The stage variety is fantastic too - stage 2's slow-paced cavern, stage 4's ascent, stage 5's surprisingly badass stealth level (vaguely reminds me of Hard Corps: Uprising's), stage 6's gauntlet - excellent stuff. The only thing that really stands out to me as a weakness is that the bosses are largely sloppy-feeling and simplistic, but they still offer some kernels of fun (the last boss and his distinct phases are satisfying and I kind of like the second boss).

I've also played a bit of Gigantic Army. Definitely in love with this. Its assets are kind of ugly compared to Valken or Ranger X's (game looks cool in motion due to its visual effects though) but man, this definitely satisfies the wanting Valken left me with - takes (most) of what was great about Valken's controls and mechanics and applies it to a legitimately great action game. I absolutely love the limited block. Dunno how I feel about the weapon balance though; the beam cannon feels a little bit dumb. Gonna work on a hard no-death run for this, at the very least.

Midnight Wanderers

God damn. This game really took me by surprise; it definitely doesn't deserve to be as obscure as it is. Really captures the GnG spirit, even if it's a fair bit milder than those games - tons of random enemies coming from all directions, each with their own little weaknesses and nasty tricks to toss at you. Really satisfying bosses, too, and the pixel art is fairly gorgeous and surreal. Only thing that kind of irks me is that the player movement feels just a little slow - not at all unresponsive, though.

Rastan

Big fan of Volgarr the Viking, so I had to try this out someday. I might like it more, but honestly I'm not sure. It's a fast and brutal game, it's got great enemy variety and satisfying platforming challenges, the player's options are varied and fun to use, and the contrast between the outdoor and indoor areas is awesome - but man is it tough. It's scrubby to say this, but I question how balanced it is - the recovery potions recover an insulting amount of health (especially painful since you only regain a little bit of health between stages), and the downstab has a seriously unforgiving hitbox for such a vital and risky move. The game does seem pretty generous about giving out extends, though. It feels like a really excellent game when things are going well, so I'd rather believe that it is a great game and that I just haven't learned it well enough yet.

I've also played through Hagane (badass moveset, feels like a way stronger game than Shinobi 3 even if it's nowhere near as strong aesthetically - and damn that final boss is great) and Zenki: Battle Raiden (neat player character but the game doesn't really grab me. I should give the second loop a chance though, set up a savestate there if I ever feel like playing through it again), and I've been screwing around with Elevator Action Returns (sort of wish the "boss battles" in stages 2 and 3 weren't there, but man is this a great-feeling game). Basically I have severe game ADD right now lol.

Since people are talking about PCE games here - what are the system's premiere titles? Ideally I'm more interested in original titles than arcade ports, unless there are notable arcade ports that have really worthwhile extras. I literally only know of Rondo of Blood and nothing else, so I'd be interested in hearing what else the system has.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Loved your recent Ranger-X Heavy run! Beautiful game, that - Toshio Toyota and his team were craftsmen. It and the inimitably ruthless (though very archaic) Assault Suit Leynos are basically why this topic exists. :mrgreen: Reminded me of how much good stuff I was missing out on by ignoring the 8+16-bit eras.

Gigantic Army's automelee pilebunker is one of those singular bits of gaming perfection, rather like Metal Slug's brutal knife - gracefully closing in on and smashing an enemy to scrap never gets old. It may not have ASV's priceless aesthetic, but in terms of level design and gritty-yet-finessed mecha action it easily surpasses. Also one of the few sidescrolling action games that's great for scoreplay right out of the box, emphasising fast, destructive and graceful piloting.

Not sure which version you played, but AFAIK the Steam one rebalanced the beam cannon (per Ruldra). Haven't tried it myself though. I think it also got rid of the unfortunate "white van" ambient chatter in the early stage BGM too, haha... I always mute the music and bust out Shin Contra+G-Darius in foobar (repeat single track + next track on gamepad for the Real Redbook Audio Feel, yeeeah! ADAM during later boss battles blows my god-damn mind)

I'm in a very similar position with the PCE/CD. Obviously a noted shooter machine, but beyond that I'm flying blind. Besides the proven brilliance of Rondo, the other marquee sidescroller I will vouch for is Irem's excellent port of Ninja Spirit. The arcade OST's sinister pulse is sadly gone, but it otherwise captures the experience extremely well. I've found nothing else like this game, not even its obvious inspiration The Legend of Kage. Graceful and mortally intense. An instant candidate for the upper echelons of that top ninja sidescroller list I'll never actually write.

Having said that, it's a straight home conversion, and the AC version is ultimately superior - so it's really only of interest to console aficionados. as with the also-brilliant PCE Mr. Heli, I suppose PCE Mode's hitpoints might make it more accessible for those scared by its terrifying instant deaths, but meh. MEH. :3 For now, Rondo and Ninja Spirit are what I'll cite as the machine's sidescrolling action triumphs.

Kaze Kiri is certainly a big name on the console, in addition to having collector cachet, but it violently divides opinion. :lol: I've long been in two minds about it myself... I like Spartan X-simplicity and big movesets, so getting both in one game is neat. Definitely see why the basic stage design offends some, though. I'm probably going to seriously re-evaluate it now that I'm underway with the console. Fausette Amour is similar (rare, divisive) in the grappling hook subgenre. Granzort for SuperGrafx is another I need to check out, absolutely no experience with that one whatsoever... there's also Browning and Veigues, mecha sidescrollers I've seen both praise and scorn for (the subgenre is so marmitey love/hate by nature, I always like to try stuff first-hand). Cuter sidescrollers aren't my thing but there are killer exceptions like Gimmick and Little Nemo, so I've been meaning to try out Irem's port of Hero Tonma as well.

Will probably be writing up my findings for most of the coming months. :smile:
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

BIL wrote:I always mute the music and bust out Shin Contra+G-Darius in foobar (repeat single track + next track on gamepad for the Real Redbook Audio Feel, yeeeah! ADAM during later boss battles blows my god-damn mind)
I took your advice on this awhile back, best custom OST ever.

TFW the piano solo and "I am..." echo in Adam cues at the start of the TLB battle.

Also Kimera II fits the final stage quite well, as does "Duplication" for the ending.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ now that's what I'm talkin bout. Fucking hell, I'm getting chills just remembering exactly that robo-god sample intoning amidst the game's ferocious *BOOM* sfx.

Like G-Rev, whether one loves or hates Astro Port, their explosion cred is simply unimpeachable.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

I've been playing a bit of Rusty (PC-98). Interesting Castlevania clone that combines mechanics from Super Castlevania and Rondo of Blood. Despite a somewhat brusque scroll and weird physics (running jump is a short hop and normal jump is a big floaty jump, for example), so far seems quite solid. The non-linear bits are quite well pulled off, and feel better integrated than in Rondo.

Challenge seems to be higher than the games it's based on, which I like. Ten levels sounds a bit much though, I fear it might get diluted later on. But so far I'm enjoying it, at the moment the only game I've found in the system that I can say I'm interested in clearing.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BIL wrote: Will probably be writing up my findings for most of the coming months. :smile:
I need to update my PCE-CD topic; I've played many more games that should have some type of minimal write-up. So much trash. But Perikles was right; L-Dis is tops.
Kino wrote:Heh, as someone else who posts on pcefx, I've definitely noticed this to be a truism.
Well, there's appreciating the obscure, and then there's praising Dynastic Hero. :wink:
Sir Ilpalazzo wrote: Since people are talking about PCE games here - what are the system's premiere titles? Ideally I'm more interested in original titles than arcade ports, unless there are notable arcade ports that have really worthwhile extras. I literally only know of Rondo of Blood and nothing else, so I'd be interested in hearing what else the system has.
First, re:Rastan
I love the game, though the unfairness of the bat spawn in the indoor spaces borders on the asinine. Kills my run far too much; not that I can make it more than two levels on a single credit anyhow.

re:PCE
My favorite action games -Hu and CD- that are not arcade ports thus far:
Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse
Dungeon Explorer
Genpei Toumaden Kannoni
Legendary Axe
PC Genjin 2

Exile (A-RPG)
Shubibinman 3
Valis I
Ys series (A-RPG)

You have a stronger bet with HuCards when it comes to finding good games. I feel by the time the CD attachment was released, NEC was slowing down in steam, and despite standout offerings from Falcom and a few others, a lot of talent had moved on to the other 16bit consoles - you know, the ones that could handle parallax. 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh yeah, Legendary Axe and its pseudo-sequel Ankoku Densetsu both seem quite cool. I really like the latter's cheezy 80s sword/sorcery & buff dudes in they briefz aesthetic! Moody & fruity. One of those rare "serious" sidescrolling slashers that lets you hop n' bop on enemies' heads too. Has an interesting bomb mechanic... after lobbing, you've got to let them hit ground to reap the fullscreen flash, and enemies pack 'em too. So they're not a free save, and sometimes you'll need to snuff a falling enemy grenade before it can detonate and ruin your shit. Neat element I'd not seen before - wish the otherwise flawless Ninja Cop had handled its useless TNT chuckers similarly.

IIRC (a very rickety "if") at least the first involved Astyanax devs... the resemblance is unmissable, in any case, though the second game loses the charge meter. edit: yep, per GSK, Tokuhiro Takemori directed Astyanax+LA.

PC-98 and mech talk reminds me of Night Slave. Macaw's a huge fan and lots of other cool people like it too, I'm hopelessly behind with the Japanese PC action gaming though. Is a hentai apparently, hopefully they didn't balance it for one-handed play. :oops:
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

ewwwwwww..... pervy.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
BIL

Post by BIL »

You don't know true sidescrolling mecha perversion until you've seen Ex-Ranza's top secret EZ MODO stage.

(NWS)
Spoiler

NOW THATS ONE HOT PUSSY MIRITE

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Man, feels like it's been more than the year.5 since those posts in the MD thread.
OLD_BIRU wrote:I wish Silhouette Mirage, aka The Real Mugging Simulator ("Gimme your money! Gimme all your fuckin' money!" I imagine Shyna squealing while beating down chumps 4 they coins) had been on MD instead of Saturn. The elemental mechanics can be very fun to exploit in boss battles and faster-paced sequences, but overall it's nowhere as tightly paced as fellow weird, characterful non-run and gun Treasure sidescroller Dynamite Headdy.
YOUR SO RIGHT OLD ME :oops: SM's PACING IS A FUCKIN MESS. Having spent so many glorious hours with Alien Soldier since then, I dread to think what might've resulted if it had been on Saturn too!
Squire Grooktook

Night Slave I've heard good things about too. Picked up the rom a while back, but have yet to play it. Actually have a few decent PC 98 games lying around I've yet to really dig into. Up until now, Flame Zapper Kotsujin's the only use I got out of the emulator lol.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Kino wrote: Ninja Spirit (the "PC Engine Mode" includes a much-needed lifebar.
Why would it need a lifebar?
Squire Grooktook

Only thing Ninja Spirit needs IMO is that damn Ninja Pit removed. It's otherwise a nearly perfect game IMO.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

I wouldn't remove it, it looks very cool. I would just make the protagonist hang higher on the screen so you actually have time to react to the incoming ninjas rather than having to memorize the whole thing.
Last edited by Hagane on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Since people are talking about PCE games here - what are the system's premiere titles?

Also love some Legendary Axe, of course.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Bomberman '94 and Dungeon Explorer for the sake of local multiplayer (for up to 5 that early in the day). I seem to remember Dungeon Explorer II had halved framerate and more input lag compared to the first one (1's graphics looked more "underground" to me as well).
If Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse is nearly as good as Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap/Monster World II: The Dragon's Trap, that one too.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

No Splatterhouse love...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
GSK

Post by GSK »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:If Adventure Island/Dragon's Curse is nearly as good as Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap/Monster World II: The Dragon's Trap, that one too.
It's the same game with sprite edits and a better frame rate, basically.

It also has nothing to do with the Adventure Island series, despite the JP name. Such is the byzantine genealogy of Wonder Boy.
dingsbums

Post by dingsbums »

Action games on the PC Engine that are not shooters:

Apart from the obvious Rondo of Blood :wink:

Chicki Chicki Boys
Dragon Egg
Horror Story
Gekisha Boy
Shubibinman 1-3
Momotaru Katsugeki
Mystic Formula
Pop'n Magic
Son Son II
Mad Stalker
Strider
Marchen Maze
Valkyrie No Densetsu
Splatterhouse
Valis 1-4
The TV Show
Renny Blaster
Ninja Spirit
Parasol Stars
Rainbow Islands
https://twitter.com/Madstalker80
Skykid wrote: Get ready for the big bad world to fuck you up the ass in ways you never believed possible.
hien

Post by hien »

dingsbums wrote:Action games on the PC Engine that are not shooters:

Apart from the obvious Rondo of Blood :wink:

Chicki Chicki Boys
Dragon Egg
Horror Story
Gekisha Boy
Shubibinman 1-3
Momotaru Katsugeki
Mystic Formula
Pop'n Magic
Son Son II
Mad Stalker
Strider
Marchen Maze
Valkyrie No Densetsu
Splatterhouse
Valis 1-4
The TV Show
Renny Blaster
Ninja Spirit
Parasol Stars
Rainbow Islands
Lacks Faussete Amour and especially Kaze Kiri among others I guess. The latter being one of the few noteworthy action games on the platform, despite it's simpleness. Could have been a masterpiece if it had more interesting enemies apart from the bosses. Still like it a lot though. Wonder if Popful Mail would also qualify for such a list. Probably not action oriented enough I guess.

Besides that: how does Leynos 2 for Saturn hold up in comparison to games like Ex-Ranza and Valken?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Leynos 2 is very sloppy in comparison to Valken. Aside from the hideous character art, there is little stage design to Leynos 2. Whereas Valken (and Ranza) have your dashing around enemy bases and scaling heights, Leynos 2's levels are flat strips, floating in empty space, and a single-screen arena level (laaame). There is one level where you climb up a mountain; that one is kind of cool.

To the game's credit, the weapon/mech variety is good, but unless you replay levels over and over again, you won't have much more than the standard mech + some agonizingly slow variants, and a smattering of weapons with small stat changes (e.g. 8 different machine-guns with slight differences in weight or firing speed). I mean you will have your lasers and whatnot, but the variety touted by the game is a little misleading. Some of the boss fights, usually against a huge machine, were enjoyable. The smaller mech-v-mech battles felt annoying to me, personally, because the enemy AI bounced all over the place, dragging out the fights considerably.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Leynos 2 >>>>> Valken

Spoiler
kidding
hien

Post by hien »

Thanks a lot for those impressions. Guess that game can wait a bit longer then. A shame though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I love the Assault Suits trilogy, but it is undeniably ill-fated. Each game has a very specific excellence entirely missing from the other two. Rather than a consistently evolving series, it's like a perfect mecha sidescroller split into three disparate games. And then the fourth is turn-based strategy! FML. I still want to check it out tho, is cheap as teh chips.

AS Leynos: vast, ruthlessly unpredictable battlefields that play out differently each time. No way of knowing what lies beyond the next rise or valley. Truly captures the sense of a tiny unit trekking through a much bigger scene, with the constant threat of running into lethal enemy battalions (and the occasional mercy of allied backup). Gritty, violent combat with Raidenesque shrapnel fury. Needed proper strafe+guard controls and bigger setpieces.

AS Valken: controls like a dream, unfolds like the baddest of badass mecha manga. Loses those brutally RNG-ruled battlefields, and the sense of being perilously alone behind enemy lines. Gains polish, loses venom.
Spoiler
^ MORE OF THIS PLS ^

AS Leynos 2: introduces extensive customisation and almost sim-like control of the mech's weapon, radar and propulsion systems. Puts them to work with ASL1-style ranks awarding better gear for authoritative mission clears. Excellent game system at the expense of both ASL1's fearful isolation and ASV's masterful cinema, with a final battle that wouldn't qualify beyond midboss duties in Valken.

In addition to nostalgia, the other thing I try to avoid with my vintage gaming is "what could've been" (for of all sad words of tongue or pen lololol I AINT GOT TIME MUHFUCKA), but it's almost inevitable when reviewing this trilogy. I recommend offsetting this misfortune with lots of Ex-Ranza, Gigantic Army and Wolf Fang. ^_~
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

I could never get over Valken's physics, mostly inertia (even for walking!), and I'm not a fan of the pseudo STG sections... I guess I'm too accustomed to Wolf Fang's much tighter, faster arcade design and its weapons, customization and better controls.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

BIL wrote: PC-98 and mech talk reminds me of Night Slave. Macaw's a huge fan and lots of other cool people like it too, I'm hopelessly behind with the Japanese PC action gaming though. Is a hentai apparently, hopefully they didn't balance it for one-handed play. :oops:
You can turn the H material off in the settings when you fire the game up.

It's been years since I remembered it existed. Should probably give it a legitimate go. I've played it, but never actually really put any time into it, so I don't have an actual opinion of it.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hagane wrote:I could never get over Valken's physics, mostly inertia (even for walking!), and I'm not a fan of the pseudo STG sections... I guess I'm too accustomed to Wolf Fang's much tighter, faster arcade design and its weapons, customization and better controls.
You've very likely realised already, but just in case - make sure you're powering up the Punch weapon throughout the first four stages, and always letting it charge to max before firing. Vulcan and Missile pale in comparison to its destructive power, and the first and second STG bits are particularly miserable with them. Laser (gained at 5-1's end) is the first and only worthy replacement for good ol' fist in the face, and should be maxed ASAP for the tougher shooting in the game's latter stages.
null1024 wrote:You can turn the H material off in the settings when you fire the game up.
Oh, that's good to know. Incidentally I was clickbaited into an article on Parasite In City the other day ("AREA WOMAN CANT BELIEVE THIS JAPANESE ZOMBIE RAPEFEST"). It's... technically a sidescrolling action game, but you most definitely can't toggle off the H. Looks barely functional at best, which I suppose is a good thing!

edit: oh sheeeit, PS4 Leynos remake is out isn't it? That one's looking good in previews. I won't be able to try it myself for a while. >w<
GSK

Post by GSK »

BIL wrote:edit: oh sheeeit, PS4 Leynos remake is out isn't it? That one's looking good in previews. I won't be able to try it myself for a while. >w<
December 23, retail and digital. There are two demos on PSN right now; play 'em both for a taste of the improvements they've made in however many months.