Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and sushi

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
mamboFoxtrot

Re: Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and su

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Man, I was just looking at the trilogy last night thinking "maybe? I'll mull it over another couple days". Only really had money for Sayonara, though. Humble Store seems to be out of keys for the other games, and I guess they won't be getting any more now, will they? GMG doesn't have Shun at all.

I seriously love these games' cheesy 90s animu/keyboard demo music, btw.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

The Umihara Kawase games will return to Steam on the 28th, thanks to Degica getting the license for it. Those that bought the games before will still have them in their steam library, no need to rebuy. (Although its still on the US PS store at regular price.)

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/26/um ... uary-28th/
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Awesome! I was thinking about getting the DS game to play the other two, but PC sounds like a better way to play than a teeny tiny DS screen.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

That is great news. I wonder if Degica would be able to eventually patch the games up a bit, like adding configurable controls and some of the Durante enhancements to Sayonara, for example.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Delayed for an unspecified amount of time due to a "minor paperwork issue". :(

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/01/29 ... ng/190094/
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

I picked this up last night. I felt so incredible stupid last time it went away from Steam - I had even read about all the troubles the company went through and still didn't pick it up. SO, glad it's up again :mrgreen:

Since there were 3 games or so in the package, is there a particular one that is recommended for starting out with or should I simply go with the first one?
CHECKPOINT!
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I'd actually recommend Sayonara first, as it has an actual tutorial to explain how to play the game, and if you want to play the game stage-by-stage (with infinite lives), you can. It also doesn't have so much of the random/infinite enemy spawns that the other games do.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I kinda liked starting the first one for the opposite reason. Feels like a real arcade game.

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zCFdXnBFl4
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Just in case the game wasn't immersive enough for you...
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

And there we go, exactly one week after I bought the game I've cleared 50/50 fields, gotten 5/5 endings, found 60/60 doors and 40/40 backpacks, with a total play time of nine hours and 50 minutes. I had to take to Youtube to figure out the trick behind reaching one door and how to damage one boss (I thought I had an idea for how to do it. I was 100% wrong).

I think I want to call it second best game on the system. Well, of what I've played, at any rate.

Now to start playing Survival Mode and speedrun!
It should be said that this is impressive! Guide or no guide, I don't think I can 100% (as in all doors, backpacks, fields) this one in 100 hours. That's simply because the last few (say 4 or 5) "percentage points" are, to put it simply, just steep in difficulty.

But at least with 40+ hours I managed to complete most of what I could do with reasonable effort, including the four survival clears and (half) respectable times for levels.

Also, on the topic, can the rankings be exploited in any way? Stage 33 in 8 seconds? I mean just the first platform takes so much time to come down.
I kinda liked starting the first one for the opposite reason. Feels like a real arcade game.
The first one is definitely a hidden gem and quite arcade like, with enemies being quite a threat. Not played it much though.

This one is slower paced and less focused on enemies, generally speaking. Though the survival challenges emulate some of the arcade feel. Still though, it is mostly about improving time (to the extent you enjoy), either on individual stages or on survival challenges.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

I played a few hours more and managed to get backpacks for stage 17, 35, 24(second backpack), 22, 13(second backpack).

Stage 22 and 24 are the harder ones. But the trick to 22 backpack is to make a jump (while simultaneously using the hook horizontally) and then making an attempt to make the upward jump (for higher platform) as soon as you get to lowest point. Makes some sense intuitively I guess.

For 24 I used the "cheap" trick. Doesn't really feel I got the backpack. But since the game allows it, it sort of counts I guess. Would have been more satisfying if I got it genuinely though.

So this completes the backpacks leaving just stage 54 to be completed and 2 doors (1 door is for 54 and the other I probably didn't notice on some earlier level).

For the parts of the game I have completed, I don't think there was anything that was really unintuitive. The only parts that I remembering feeling like this were the big jump from 32 to 42 (even though the execution is easy, I couldn't intuitively make sense why the button input had to be like it was). And maybe the second backpack in 24 (but I didn't get it with the genuine method anyway...).
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

First time that I am triple posting here, but relevant to the topic though.

After a few hours of practice I managed to clear stage-54. Definitely the hardest stage (in terms of just completing it). Also tried to complete it few times before, but couldn't do it then.

So this "completes" the game in terms of fields/doors/backpacks/survival.
KAI

Post by KAI »

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I just started playing this...

How many stages are there, total? I have been opening them up, by getting to the other doors. But there's some that I just can't get yet.
Does this game have an actual "true ending". Or would that just be completing all the stages? Anything special if you do that?

I have the other UK games, but have never fully understood their stage branches.

Good game, but I would have been SO much happier if they used sprites for the characters.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, level 46 is pretty much impossible.

I have died over 170 times on this fucking crab. :x

I beat level 49's boss. And isn't that the last boss on the 3DS version? He was nothing compared to this asshole.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, I beat 46. Only took over 400 attempts. I don't know what to say about that. :lol:

Only 33 and 34 left. 33 looks to be a bitch, with all the spikes. Oh well....
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

How many stages are there, total? I have been opening them up, by getting to the other doors. But there's some that I just can't get yet.
If you go from menu to character select screen (from the main map screen) I think you can see all the details.
There are 60 levels and 70 doors (I looked it up ... it has been number of months since I last played it). The last stage in some sense is stage-54.
So, level 46 is pretty much impossible.

I have died over 170 times on this fucking crab.
Well you can use a character with "checkpoint". Not that difficult stages suddenly becomes easy because of this, but they become more manageable. At any rate, you might want to complete a level without a check point anyway (after gaining some confidence with checkpoints).
Only 33 and 34 left. 33 looks to be a bitch, with all the spikes. Oh well....
Well the hardest stage ("just" for completion) is stage-54. 33 is one of the better stages in the game and, while difficult, becomes manageable with some practice.

For 54 there are "three" basic routes. If you write the stage map as (if you have seen the stage this map would make some sense):
2 4 6
1 3 5
then the three routes are:
1--> 3 --> 5 --> 6 --> 4 --> 2
1--> 2
1--> 3 --> 4 --> 2

I just couldn't complete it with the first two routes. One of the jumps from 6 to 4 is ridiculous in the first route. And the second route I just couldn't get the precise timing (at least after a limited number of attempts), so I just stopped trying to do it.

But the third route I finally managed to get it down just enough to complete it.
KAI

Post by KAI »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/new-umihara- ... ing-switch

Hope it isn't as crappy as Sayonara.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

"Use the JoyCon controllers to cast and manipulate your line with never-before-seen precision! The HD Rumble lets you REALLY FEEL the tension of the line!" :P
Joking aside, happy to see this.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Yessss!!
for Switch
Nossss!!
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

The Switch is definitely worth buying at this point. So many great games with more on the way.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I assume this'll get a PC port sometime down the line... GET IT? Fishing joke.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I too wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being ported to PC, just like the current trilogy. In any case, it's great news! Playing as Umihara in Blade Strangers made me want to get back into the series and a new game would be perfect for that.
I am kinda curious about how they will handle the bosses this time though. Sayonara was such a regression in the boss fights compared to Shun where they could be as fast-paced and quick as the rest of the stages.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
KAI

Post by KAI »

Fresh will be a metroidvania
https://twitter.com/success_g3/status/1 ... 1233201152
RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh. Good. We need some more of those.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

wut
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Wow.

Anyway, I have the PC Port of Sayonara, as well as the 3DS one. And I noticed the graphic upgrade. Then, I noticed the shite resolution.
I saw that Durante did some work on that....but then it didn't work for the 64 bit version of it...or something. It didn't work, is what I'm saying.

Any news on that? Any mods to make that look a bit better? The resolution, mainly.

I don't like to mod a lot, because it sometimes brings in new problems, but it's too damn fuzzy looking. And can I not get a full screen? Too much to ask?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

I haven't looked too much and don't have the PC version but some people are speculating that the crash might be related to the VR-mode addition and the exe is still 32bit anyway :
https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato/issues/395

Also, WTF at Fresh being a Metroidvania. (⊙_☉)
It's like the one series where you could just tweak the physics a bit, streamline the game and change the level design from one episode to another and still have great games because the core concept is super good. But nooo they have to make it trendy and marketable. Sayonara was already a bit of a move in the wrong direction with the trampoline gimmicks and the boss fights but this metroidvania is another thing entirely.

There's still the hope that it's a great game on its own and that instead of being gated behind powerups, the rope mechanics will work like Super Metroid's walljump abilities that are given to you from the get-go and can allow you to do things with them earlier than intended only if you master them. But I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

EDIT : Wait, is it really a full-on Metroidvania?
https://gematsu.com/2018/09/umihara-kaw ... for-switch
To change up the gameplay style, Umihara Kawase Fresh! gets rid of the previous entries’ stage system for a quest-based system on a Metroidvania-type connected map. Players aiming for the best times can use techniques to find shortcuts, and players who aren’t good at that can clear quests by taking the long way.
The translated tweets say the map itself is like a huge interconnected Metroidvania map, but that doesn't necessarily imply the ability-gating that genre is known for.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project