Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and sushi

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Skykid

Re: Yumi's Odd Odyssey, now about swallowing dry meds and su

Post by Skykid »

KennyMan666 wrote:For the hook after the first ice slope, the most common mistake you are (were?) probably doing is throwing out the line too early, you kinda have to do it later than you'd expect.

I threw the line out every which way possible, the problem is I didn't have the speed to get close enough. How was I supposed to know I need to climb the slope, face the opposite direction, hop backwards and turn into a run before vaulting over and shooting the line vertically (rather than diagonally, which makes more sense)?

For the second one, the method I'm using is basically stand at the edge of the platform to the right, face left. Throw hook diagonally up-right to the hookable ceiling there, take about two steps to the left, jump and start reeling in, then let go of the hook rougly when you pass under the spot where the hook is and immediately start holding right - this should get you enough speed to get far enough up the slope that you can jump and hook the corner of the block the door stands on, and then you just reel yourself up. And it's not like it's a stage where the hard part is instant death if you fuck up once, which is the case for a lot of other stages.
The death quota on this stage is almost null and void because the two stickiest sections don't result in any fatalities. But dicking around trying to get to the door does mean falling down a hole and climbing up a ladder with each attempt.

Basically I don't have the knowledge of the line tricks yet, but I'm wondering why the game doesn't verse you better in its various possibilities before posing you with a hurdle that requires something very unique. As a veteran perhaps you don't think twice about it, but as a newbie I have no way of knowing how to get the speed I need off of a basic swing to reach that door.

I'll put your method into practice best I can, appreciate the advice.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Oh god I'm reading what I said in the quote and I fucked up badly: I obviously mean the platform to the left, not the right.

And, yeah, I guess. I'm... probably the best Umihara Kawase player on the forums. I don't think it's too much to expect of the player to figure to use an icy slope to gain extra speed for a jump, though (hell, stages 3 and 10 kinda teach you that). What are you talking about with "hop backwards and turn into a run", though? All you have to do is get to the top of the slope and then run down it and jump at the edge. And you can totally grab that platform with a diagonal hook.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

KennyMan666 wrote:Oh god I'm reading what I said in the quote and I fucked up badly: I obviously mean the platform to the left, not the right.

And, yeah, I guess. I'm... probably the best Umihara Kawase player on the forums. I don't think it's too much to expect of the player to figure to use an icy slope to gain extra speed for a jump, though (hell, stages 3 and 10 kinda teach you that). What are you talking about with "hop backwards and turn into a run", though? All you have to do is get to the top of the slope and then run down it and jump at the edge. And you can totally grab that platform with a diagonal hook.
Whaat? You sure? I tried that a million times, she just doesn't get the speed up and a diagonal misses on every attempt. That's why I turned to a YT vid as I described: the guy's technique requires stopping at the peak of the slope, hopping backward and turning into a run, then shooting the rope dead vertical to latch onto the side.

That's why I though the requirement was so abstruse!

KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Thanks for that! Basically, I still don't know how I didn't get that first leap after the slope, I tried everything, but perhaps I was shooting the line too early as you really need to snag the edge of the block very late. I'll give it another go.

Regarding the YT video I was using originally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ejcv4-5VkA

I now realise there is no one way to get around any of these stages - you both do things completely differently. I was trying to emulate this video and couldn't get the right motion for his leap toward the door. Your method looks a lot more straightforward. Appreciate the help. :wink:

KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Yeah, that's a thing with Umihara Kawase. Very few stages have one objectively correct solution. The wire gives you so many options, and you can make it as crazy as you want (I, for instance, refuse to use ladders when I play if there is a way to get up with the hook). At first I thought the way the guy does it in that video was a faster way than I do it, but he gets 0:33.03 and my best time on that stage, using my method, is 0:34.70, and my way of scaling the conveyor belt is faster (and it's possible to get up in one leap the way I do it).
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

KennyMan666 wrote:(and it's possible to get up in one leap the way I do it).
That's the way I do it, in one leap. I was quite proud of the fact I figured that out, and then summarily dejected about everything thereafter!

Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

KAI

Post by KAI »

YEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Can't wait! I've been playing the hell out of the the original game and Shun since the last month.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So, how does this game stack up to the others?
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

A Steam version? Wow, that's totally out of left-field. Great news anyway, as this will spread even more awareness around the series.

@evil_ash_xero : From my experience with the 3DS version, I would say it is defintely a game worth playing.

However, I still prefer Shun because bosses aren't a chore to fight, there are no trampoline gimmicks, stages are more numerous and crazier, and the game in general feels a bit faster-paced. It is quite possible that the additions to the Vita and Steam versions of Sayonara UK (extra stages and 60fps) counterbalance those last two points though.

Physics between all three games are similar on the surface but there are some minute changes that, depending on personal preference, can also make you prefer one of the game over the others. Sayonara UK's physics allow for easier wall-climbing but harder ground slingshooting for example and it was unsettling for me to adapt to the change. That said, I am probably nitpicking, as there's no major reason to stay away from Sayonara UK.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'll definitely check it out then.

I still like the Super Famicom one the best, of the two I have played. I like the PSX one as well, but not as much.
Aisha

Post by Aisha »

This is out on Steam now. Seems like a lazy port. According to the game's Steam forums, it doesn't include the original SNES version, nor does it include Shun; however, there is word that they'll get separate Steam releases eventually. The graphics options are limited: You can only change screen size, switch between window and full screen mode, and the aspect ratio options are limited. Apparently you can't rebind the keyboard controls either.

I was looking forward to this and I'll probably pick it up eventually anyway, but it seems like a disappointing effort. :?
GSK

Post by GSK »

The earlier games were always going to be separate purchases and were announced as such.

The port is pretty much just a minimum-effort dump of the Vita game: same resolution/ratio, next to no PC-specific graphics options or settings, etc. It plays just fine and I get the impression that this was a very quick job but they'll be rightly hammered for such a spartan port.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Just wanna say I have played the Vita version on my PSTV and it's fun as hell. Great game. Plays a bit more floaty than the originals but still great. I'm still working on finding a secret path and getting backpacks.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
GSK

Post by GSK »

Umihara Kawase SFC is now available on Steam, it's $9 right now. It's a port that includes a practice mode, leaderboards, replay sharing through Steam Workshop, records/stats, etc.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

There'll apparently be a bundle that'll get you all three Umihara games on Steam for a few bucks off.
StoofooEsq

Post by StoofooEsq »

Neat. I've never played any of these, so that bundle will probably be my first intro to the series.

It's weird and exciting to see more JP-centric games and series like Umihara Kawase coming to Steam.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Seems it's out today, for an additional couple of bucks off if you snag it soon.
GSK

Post by GSK »

The bundle is $24 for the first week, too.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

...and now with the latest Steam sale, the trilogy will only set you back 15 bucks.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Apparently Agatsuma Entertainment, who developed the most recent Umihara Kawase, are kaputz.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

How are the ports? What type of filters (if any) are available?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

evil_ash_xero wrote:How are the ports? What type of filters (if any) are available?
Only Umihara kawase has a filter option and it's just soft/normal/sharp (don't recall the exact naming). I didn't see any option in Umihara Kawase Shun's options. Sayonara Umihara Kawasa is locked to the rendering resolution of the Vita (fixable).

They're great games, but the quality of the ports isn't going to win any awards.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Hope you guys bought the game while you could. Umihara Kawase no longer available on Steam or PSN since the company went bankrupt.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm glad I picked it up before it was gone. Ports seem to be quick vita ports, but they run well and Sayonora Umihara Kawase is still an improvement over the 3DS version thanks to a constant 60 FPS.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

There's always the physical Japanese & Asian releases on the Vita. It's too bad the game got delisted from Steam & PSN, though. I bought and platinumed it a couple of months ago, and I loved it. It's one of the best games on the Vita and one of the best games I've played this year.

RIP Umihara (´;ω;`)
GSK

Post by GSK »

Steam keys are still available at other sites like GOG and Humble Store; you'll be able to access the games just fine even though they're delisted, so if you want them, move quickly.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

GSK wrote:Steam keys are still available at other sites like GOG and Humble Store; you'll be able to access the games just fine even though they're delisted, so if you want them, move quickly.
Not GoG. They don't even have Steam keys.
GSK

Post by GSK »

Typo on my part, I meant GMG. Too many dang G's, man.