Brutal DOOM is good!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: Brutal DOOM is good!

Post by BIL »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
BIL wrote:Man, that shot I took of the Baron's head fucking exploding beneath the SSG's full brunt.
I see DOOMGUY got his warface on for that shot, too. Was that the last of a string of attacks with the fire button held down? I think that's the only way to trigger that in vanilla DOOM.
Good question! Raging DOOMguy was always one of my favourite little details from VDOOM. Yeah, I must've had the button depressed (SSG is slow enough that you'll get rageface by the second blast). You can totally one-shot Barons if the RNG damage per pellet goes your way, though! Seems like I get it 90% of the time if I wait for the double armed attack. An EZ (and cowardly/cunning) way to do this is to wait around a corner for Barry to amble up, then BOOM!

Other explanation is I took a hit before connecting but the status bar says no. DOOM Forensics: Teh Scene of Teh Crime

"OH GAWD NO"
"Hmm..."

Other v019 MISC from top of my head:

-Cyberdemons now fire four consecutive rockets in an aimed pattern, making circle strafing them a bit less trivial.

-Guts on the ceiling, brains on the walls, entrails on the floors. X-RATED and EXPLICIT. :shock: It was friggin' RAINING BLOOD after a BFG9000 massacre during TNT map07 PRISON last night.

-Rescued DOOMcompatriots now teleport around to keep up with you, and are consistently armed with 1) an AR 2) grenades (which they yell a warning before using, but can still cause trouble...) and 3) good pair of mitts. More fun and less potentially suicidal for you than the old randomly equipped and easily stymied ones.

-SSG reload period a tad longer to balance out its body-obliterating power. AR ironsights back to the more functional earlier version, not the disorienting and screen-hogging monstrosity of late.

This is my favourite BDOOM iteration yet, though he really does need to fix that foot to face insta-kill glitch. Roll on v019b!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh shi.... THEY SPINNIN NIGGA THEY SPINNIN @_@

Thankfully harmless! Baron heads like to do this in v018, and they do big damage if stood on. surprise meatspin.gif!
RegalSin
Banned User

Post by RegalSin »

DOOM still more auwsome, then DOOM3. Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it. What is nice is all the MODs/WADS etc that has been made for it over the years.

Probably strip down, DOOM enough, and it will become, Perfect Dark. I would really love a Perfect Dark, MOD/WAD for this engine. Maybe even an Mirror Edge version, with the physics.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
Jesus H. Christ on a stick
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

I just stepped into Episode 4 and got fucked up a shit ton. Jesus this hub is insane. I stopped on M4 for now but holy shit, the first two levels had me dry on ammunition and running from barons. I haven't felt this stressed playing a FPS in forever, but I'm seriously loving it. :P
BIL wrote:-BUGS: Noticed a really nasty new one, unfortunately. Booting a crippled zombie's head off will occasionally insta-gib you. Disconcerting to say the least, for now I just shoot the fuckers.
Yeah, had this happen to me and I sat there trying to absorb what the hell just happened when I painted the room red with my intestines after I stuck my foot through a crippled imp's head. :lol:
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That insta-gib is so damn violent as well - BOOM! Red mist and guts raining down. I don't think you can actually make anything explode like that normally. :lol:

Found out in my last game that the fists now have a three-hit combo. T̶i̶m̶i̶n̶g̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶c̶k̶y̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶-̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶-̶w̶a̶i̶t̶-̶l̶e̶f̶t̶.̶ ̶I̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶c̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ EDIT: NAW, IT's JUST LEFT-wait-RIGHT-LEFT and you can buffer the final hit as much as you want. Simple! You swing a really nasty left hook that blows multiple small/midsize enemies away even without Berserk. With Berserk on, the guts are gonna spew. Connect on a Baron for a guaranteed cup shot! You can tag the quick kick onto the end too, for four hits.

Being a little bored, I promptly made a macro for one-button execution of the full four-hit destruction, plus another for the very nasty flying kick. CTRL+V into console, then bind to a key/button (eg "bind mouse1 4xcombo" "bind mouse2 jumpkick")

Code: Select all

alias "4xcombo" "+attack; wait 5; -attack; wait 1; +altattack; wait 1; -altattack; wait 10; +attack; wait 1; -attack; wait 1; kickem"

Code: Select all

alias "jumpkick" "+jump; wait 1; kickem; -jump"
Using "give Berserk" and buffing up a little (say "give health 1000" and "give armor 200"), then relying only on hand to hand violence = HOKUTO NO DOOM.

With real dedication I'd hunt down some good ATATATATA and WAAA-TAAAAAA! samples for taunts, but this'll do for now. I'd use this one Image

This mod is so my desert island thing. Image
Last edited by BIL on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Love your Doomguy helmet drawn on Kenshiro there. :lol: x1000
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Finished episode 4. Rather underwhelming once you get off your feet and start to get your weapons, though the Cyberdemons require a bit of a planned approach and plenty of ammunition to take down.

Having finished the default hardest difficulty, I decided to take a look at the three other difficulties above that. One increases enemy damage by 50% while the other increases enemy speed. Black Metal difficulty does both. Of course, I was willing to take the plunge and chose to do a quick run on Black Metal. When I read "faster enemies", I expected them to be running all over the place. What I've noticed is that this instead increases their reaction time rather than movement speed. When opening a door that goes up, former marines will catch a glimpse of your legs and shoot you just as the door finishes opening. Now you have to be absolutely quick on the draw when in a firefight against them.

Does this mod work on DOOM 2?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yep! Should work perfectly with II and both WADs of Final.

For door openings, I like to hit "open" twice to briefly crack the door (cue zombie roars and gunshots), then hit the button a third time and let rip as the door opens. I love how dangerous even riflemen are now, they can really take a chunk out of the unwary especially in packs.

You can actually get even faster monsters+projectiles in Black Metal by enabling zDOOM's "Fast Monsters" setting in gameplay options, but I prefer to just leave Black Metal as-is. Also, if you enable "Monsters Respawn" you'll get a bizarre type of glitched erratic respawn, which can be quite cool and intense in more circuitous maps like The Shores of Hell's. Halls of the Damned (E2M6) is wickedly intense by the end, with the risk of being pincered by regenerating monsters in the tight corridors.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Been a while. Anyone a bit hyped for the new BDoom version? Those new blood splattering effects look sickeningly satisfying 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aww yee! After the rather long wait for v19 though, I've only been checking the ModDB page sporadically. Really liked the custom critical damage frames for imps in the last video I saw. Make the current ones look cheesy. Every version since v18 has been more or less enough for me, but he always manages to impress somehow.

I really hope he irons out some of the nastier bugs. Revenge gib for booting crippled zombies/imps, ofc, but also Barons' habit of seizing up while attempting to retaliate against friendly hitscan fire. Not really bothered about the occasional physics glitch.

SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Definitely good to get destructible corpses back. It really added to that priceless sense of unhinged, chaotic violence when any corpses strewn about were liable to get pulped/burnt/trampled as battle raged.

The use of individual sprites for differing perspectives in the new "wall slump" effect is interesting - almost reminds me of something old Sega or Taito scaler games might've done. I hope it doesn't impact performance too much though (or kick up new bugs).
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

I'm really looking forward to V20- I think it addresses 99% of the questions I had about the thing
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I can't stop grinning when I watch this.

Soon...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

I'm super excited. (The sling thing will take some getting used to lol).

So- who wants to make a score mod for this? Shmups forum is the perfect place, too- we know more about fun scoring than anybody else I think. I'll donate to the cause.
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ha ha! His annotation at 1:50.
Tregard

Post by Tregard »

That looks like so much fun :twisted:

I damn near spit my beer out when he ripped the dude's head off and threw it at the other dude.
drauch

Post by drauch »

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL <3
Tregard

Post by Tregard »

It's out today! And I have the whole weekend free.

Trapped in purgatory
A lifeless object, alive
Awaiting reprisal
Death will be their acquisition

The sky is turning red
Return to power draws near
Fall into me, the sky's crimson tears
Abolish the rules made of stone

Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past
Betrayed by many, now ornaments dripping above

Awaiting the hour of reprisal
Your time slips away

Raining blood
From a lacerated sky
Bleeding its horror
Creating my structure
Now I shall reign in blood!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Aww sheeit. Good timing, I'll be spending some weekend on this too.

Hadn't even watched the trailer until now, got burned too much by v19 delays. ;3 Favourite bit was that pinky charging in despite its arm getting blown off. I love functional modifications like that most of all (see also the perils of not headshotting Revenants in v19).

Looks like the fists' horizontal swipe has extended to the chainsaw, at least I hope so. v19 actually made socking stuff feel good, where traditionally the DOOM engine had struggled with melee combat.
Tregard

Post by Tregard »

There's a countdown timer to release here: http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?msg=Brutal

Will be landing at midnight for me. The witching hour! It's just too perfect. Until then I'll be listening to black metal in the dark, to prepare my mind and spirit for the madness.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Thought about ending it all this weekend, too. Time to hold out for a bit more carnage!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hoo hoo, seems he made the deadline after all! DLing now but just had to remark on this:
changelog wrote:Marines can follow orders. Press the Use button in front of them to change between "Follow" and "Hold Position" modes.
Aww yee. Wanted this for a while now.

edit: well there's a few hours gone. :mrgreen: Just messed around with UD episodes 1 and 3 for now.

The intrinsic feel of the mod is incredibly solid. It's always been more than acceptable but for the first time feels like a unified product, not DOOM with a mod on top. Kicks like a fucking mule and stings like some other, highly accurate animal. I went around stomping in as many screaming faces as I could and didn't encounter that godawful instakill bug once. Flaming runners no longer become guillotining instant death upon going over a ledge. Now regular folks and the mortally ablaze can safely enjoy the stairs together!

New flamecannon = Brutal The Exterminator :shock: Grenades on their own button are good fun. Excellent bottleneck-clearing action. They could be a bit easier to see but it's a fine first attempt.

Barons' new and improved firewall seems a bit overpowering. Imps' claw is slower and easier to see coming but does enormous damage - I like this better. Favourite monster tweak is the random "second wind" effect on wounded Imps and Pinkies. Was almost eerie seeing an Imp get mortally blasted by a friendly marine before staggering back up. New wall slump likewise gives the carnage an unnerving bit of continuity, dead eyes staring back after a shotgun blast to the chest. Like the zombies' surprise sidearms and Revenants' awful habit of bisecting, it erodes the old binary sense of "dead monster" safety and I love it. ^__^ (also gives a damn compelling reason to really smash up the fuckers wherever you can)

As usual there are a few nitpicky changes I don't like that'll likely be patched either by the modder himself or by fans. The big dumb AR sights are back, don't like. I noticed I was sliding around a bit too, assuming it's an engine tinkering. Not a big deal, but I'm so used to v19 I'd like to revert this, if possible.
Tregard

Post by Tregard »

This new version feels way more violent than v19, which I didn't think was possible. Chunks of brain and gristle fly everywhere with every click of the mouse. Arms and legs get torn off, the larger enemies get damn near ripped in half and still come at you. I swear I shot a dude's jaw out one time, and his teeth were laying there on the floor next to the ruined pile of offal that was his body. And there's a lot more spurting, and spewing, and general wet meaty goodness. Some of the carnage has almost made me feel nauseous, which takes some doing. The imps slumped up against the walls look so shocked - their eyes creep me out, so I usually put my boot in their face. SPELUTCH!!!

I'm ploughing my way through Doom II at the moment. It's a lot harder than I remember. I fear my twitch skills have been allowed to grow rusty from a decade spent playing lesser FPS games. This will not stand, man!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Up way too late mucking about with v20. Aaand holy cow, the v20 chainsaw is one mean nasty fucker! Get the rush-in on anything up to and including a Baron and it's curtains baby! :shock: You might get socked occasionally, hard, but the odds on a fatal Pain Chance extravaganza are preeetty good fuckers! ;3 Forget Cyber/Spidey though, they'll stomp on you like a roach!
Spoiler
Still suicide to inarticulately wade into a crowd, as it should be. But you can be a lot more artful with the new proximity-activated, obscenely rapid automelee. Hit n' runs on Cacos work great. Pretty much any monster whose projectiles you're able to juke around is in trouble, with the proviso of your back being wide open while carvin' up a Brand New Asshole.

I'd have liked it if instead of automelee, it'd given you true overhead/horizontal (primary/alt) control. The slow, heavy, unstoppable-once-connected former and quick glancing latter have very different uses, but with seemingly random activation the weapon controls the player. Or maybe it could let you switch auto/manual styles with Reload, ala Berserk Fist. This is still a pretty neat first step to a satisfying short-ranged weapon, though. The more strictly hit/run fists seem about perfect at this point.

Grenades are so damn fun to aggressively blow out bottlenecks with. Giving them their own button is one of the Halo mod-cons I always regarded as an unalloyed good, so I'm glad it's finally in. They're vanishingly scarce and obscenely powerful, so it feels like having a conventional arcade BOMBA to sparingly employ.

Assault rifle's ironsights are an abomination, sadly - can't see shit when aiming, even less when firing. If it doesn't get fixed in v20b (apparently incoming) I'm going to see about editing in the v19 weapon sprite. That's really my only complaint as far as features go. Bugwise, Barons still seem to lock up while retaliating against humanoid enemies - I wonder if it's an issue on my end. Otherwise seems more solid than ever.

-made a shotgunner do a frickin moonsault off the shotgun, his heels touched the back of his head. :shock: :lol:

-new rifleman barrage is goddamn fierce; instead of several consecutive shots, a series of automatic bursts. Nasty, I love it.

-Imps don't seem to have their tricky double fireball, and the new leaping claw is much slower and more telegraphed... but it does *enormous* damage for their size. I like this. Back to "meh" at long/mid-range, but now there's a damn good reason to keep them there.

-Baron threw a friggin barrel at me, blew me and the enemies I was fighting to kingdom come. Helll yeah.

-noticing subtle but very significant AI tweaks; gunners now backpedal slightly while attacking, keeping out of melee range. A pinkie ran off a ledge to get at me, instead of struggling down the stairs - impossible in previous BDOOM/VDOOM. As integral as the classic dumb, relentless heatseeker AI is to DOOM's feel, I like where this is going.
BIL

Post by BIL »

v20b is out. :cool: Direct download requires a free ModDB membership, so here's a direct link to the mirror.

Image.

Imma try it! Trailer here.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

SO- I have a cash bounty for someone that can help frame out a scoring system for this game.

Any takers?
My trade/wanted list

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BIL wrote:-Imps don't seem to have their tricky double fireball, and the new leaping claw is much slower and more telegraphed... but it does *enormous* damage for their size. I like this. Back to "meh" at long/mid-range, but now there's a damn good reason to keep them there.
Hell yeah. This reminds me of one of the only things I like about classic Half-Life combat: Vortigaunts (and the zombies are like a slower version with no ranged attack, unfortunately poorly utilized).

Gonna save this one for the 120Hz fireworks :shock:
BIL wrote:Seems like I get it 90% of the time if I wait for the double armed attack. An EZ (and cowardly/cunning) way to do this is to wait around a corner for Barry to amble up, then BOOM!
No doubt this is where Steakfries got his surname :lol: